Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

Ravenfood posted:

But fundamentally, if you are going to play with speed changes on map, I think it should be based on army size, not unit type. A small army will move faster than a larger one regardless of its composition. Or, make it factionbased to represent a fundamentally different organizational structure than a supply train.

Mounted units have always moved faster and further than infantry and are frequently detached from the slower elements of an army, it's the whole point of having the increased mobility.

A small army of infantry will absolutely move slower than a large army of cavalry, not sure where you're getting that idea from.

Why should a completely mounted army be just as slow on the campaign map as a completely infantry based one? Sounds like an arbitrary advantage for slow units for seemingly no reason.

Cavalry are already a completely optional choice in WH.

Kanos posted:

"Your army now moves slower because you have artillery in it" bolted on to the existing system adds precisely nothing interesting to the strategic gameplay and heavily punishes some factions over others - an empire doomstack has a bunch of artillery and moves like a snail, while an elf doomstack has a bunch of dragons and moves super fast because they're fast fliers.

Not true, it's a strategic choice between moving fast and light or moving slowER in comparison with more powerful units. I brought it up in the first place as a replacement of agents used to spy on the campaign map and to give the already weak cavalry units in this game more utility. I never said anything about reducing movement ranges, just giving a benefit for more mobile units.

Just giving everyone the same movement range regardless of army composition is both lazy and unrealistic. The game already heavily rewards using cookie cutter army compositions, this would give the player more options to choose from and give incentives to not just building doomstacks.

There are plenty of faction imbalances in this game already, you wouldn't have the variety without those strengths and weaknesses so I'm just not seeing what makes this one so concerning in comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Risk map

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Muscle Tracer posted:

if you just want every faction to play exavtly the same way, 3K is over that way ->

Muscle Tracer posted:

personally, i hate it when there are tradeoffs in a game, especially between unit types. that's why i only play checkers

more seriously though, idk dude, give artillery-heavy armies a much bigger engagement circle / ability to engage from further away, making them more useful defensively than a light army. or would that be a crippling blow to non-artillery armies?

Warhammer's factions are ALREADY differentiated without implementing this incredibly dumb idea that CA will never ever do, you don't get to take the "well I guess you just don't like the game" defense when the mechanic you are discussing is not actually in this game and never will be

Mustang posted:

Not true, it's a strategic choice between moving fast and light or moving slowER in comparison with more powerful units. I brought it up in the first place as a replacement of agents used to spy on the campaign map and to give the already weak cavalry units in this game more utility. I never said anything about reducing movement ranges, just giving a benefit for more mobile units.

Just giving everyone the same movement range regardless of army composition is both lazy and unrealistic. The game already heavily rewards using cookie cutter army compositions, this would give the player more options to choose from and give incentives to not just building doomstacks.

There are plenty of faction imbalances in this game already, you wouldn't have the variety without those strengths and weaknesses so I'm just not seeing what makes this one so concerning in comparison.

Its because playing tag with the AI armies is BY FAR the most boring part of this game and people want less of it not more of it, and this is a Warhammer game no one cares about something being "realistic"

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

AnEdgelord posted:

Warhammer's factions are ALREADY differentiated without implementing this incredibly dumb idea that CA will never ever do, you don't get to take the "well I guess you just don't like the game" defense when the mechanic you are discussing is not actually in this game and never will be
Its because playing tag with the AI armies is BY FAR the most boring part of this game and people want less of it not more of it, and this is a Warhammer game no one cares about something being "realistic"

This would result in less tag by the AI if anything, I doubt the AI would spam nothing but light cavalry units without luck or being programmed to do so deliberately. Or you could recruit a more mobile army, or set an ambush, whatever.

Regardless, agents on the campaign map are objectively bad and need to be reworked. Personally, in a game from a series called Total War I'd rather have the reconnaissance and counter reconnaissance actions happen between opposing armies rather than tedious and boring agent actions.

Care to elaborate on what's so incredibly dumb about it?

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Mustang posted:

This would result in less tag by the AI if anything, I doubt the AI would spam nothing but light cavalry units without luck or being programmed to do so deliberately. Or you could recruit a more mobile army, or set an ambush, whatever.

Regardless, agents on the campaign map are objectively bad and need to be reworked. Personally, in a game from a series called Total War I'd rather have the reconnaissance and counter reconnaissance actions happen between opposing armies rather than tedious and boring agent actions.

Care to elaborate on what's so incredibly dumb about it?

because, again, there are entire armies in this game that do not have cavalry units at all and some that can comfortably field entire armies of cavalry

so as Dwarfs and Vampire Coast you could easily get outrun by every single faction in the game while Brettonia or Vampire Counts can run circles around anyone with full cavalry armies and trivialize the entire movement system

I'm not necessarily a fan of agents myself but I'm used to them and I have yet to hear a suggested replacement that doesn't either sound excruciating to use or doesn't acknowledge that the hero units you want to minimize or get rid of still need to be units recruitable by the various factions

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I love inheriting confederated armies. I have a lord, a paladin, and 7 trebuchets, and in another army a lord, one questing, and 19 knights of the realm.
Amazing.

They make an incredible tag team though.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Many moons ago, I confederated Mousillon and one army was a necromancer lord with something like seven or eight necromancer heroes (all below level 10), two wights, and a single unit of zombies.

It was very weird.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

the basic function of the campaign is to provide a series of interesting battles. it might be cool if they just gave us a series of battles and allowed us to spend gold between rounds.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Honestly I'd probably like Total War more if they ditched the whole "manually walking around the world map" and "the AI plays the same game as you but not really because it cheats to an absurd degree" bits completely, replacing it with something closer to the newer XCOM games.

Giggle Goose
Oct 18, 2009
I dunno if any of you all have ever played Ultimate General: Civil War but it is basically a game wherein you fight Total War style RTS battles (albeit much longer and more complex) but the strategic layer is much simpler and basically revolves around you deciding how to allocate the resources the state gives you. The battle AI fucks up sometimes but by and large its got enough going on in any given battle that you barely even have time to notice that sort of thing.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I legit think that's what they'll attempt with the 3K sequel. It's kind of why I don't mind them changing course bigtime and cancelling the Northern Wilds DLC for 3K and so on; the actual "empire-building" parts of modern TW, even 3KTW, have not really been great and it'll jive more with their whole new direction of focusing on individual characters as opposed to kingdoms and empires, which is honestly the real strength of ROTK.

And of course, if they make a system like that work in 3K2, that bodes well for a theoretical Dogs of War campaign in TWH. Imagine Battletech's Career Mode but set in TWH...

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Mm, yes, when we finally have actually pretty good and solid campaign mechanics in both Warhams and 3k let's get rid of it all for historical battles (that no one touches.)

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Yeah I think there definitely room for the strategic layer to be better and ripping it out to get to the rts battles faster has some serious "throwing the baby out with the bathwater" energy

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Well, things seem to be going well for me now. Turn 78, took over most of the donut, just confederated Alarielle by throwing 9k at her. she wasn't screwed up too badly skill wise either, thankfully. I do have to tear down like 3 elven trinket makers to make room for useful stuff though.

Somehow I failed the quest for the heart of Averlorn, because Alarielle took the phoenix gate and I didn't want to fight her, so I guess I took too long. So the game just kinda... gave it to me. idk what the gently caress was going on there.

Looks like I'll need to sort out my new cities, get Alarielle to put back the sword of Khaine back, get her army and the one other lord she had new armies, then sweep west and then north to take out Delves. Also time to finally unlock sisters and spam them in my armies.

Also also try not to just one more turn my way into missing sleep.

Still have little idea what I'm doing, but seems to be going alright so far. Just going to sandbag rituals for a long time to come though.

Need to keep an eye on Nagarythe though, may need to absorb them next, just so they don't die.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

You can get a faction wide 12% buff to your missile damage if you confederate Alith Anar, it's one of his skills. Eltharion is another good ranged buffing lord to confederate if you can, he gets a skill that lets his units automatically replenish ammo during battle.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
If possible I want to get both, and if Alith can survive 5 turns I can probably just hoover him up, since he's only got 3 settlements right now.

I think things are going to get a lot faster soon, since I'm nearly T5 at home base and can start really focusing on armies and agents.

Speaking of, confederation got me a Handmaiden, what is the best way to build them? Mages are obviously all about the magic, Nobles want to be blue for influence gain, but I'm not sure how to build Loremasters or Handmaidens.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Handmaidens I would go for the skill that gives them and your ranged units in your army hawkish precision and otherwise build them to be melee fighters on foot and have them intercept large enemies. Loremasters I also prioritize their combat stats and use them to intercept enemy infantry. Heroes are great frontlines for your ranged units, they'll blob up around the heroes and take even more casualties from the ranged fire. Or good be good targets for spells.

I like using nobles in armies on great eagles to go after enemy artillery or ranged units, sometimes other heroes or lords. Especially with good combat traits like the one that gives ward save and perfect vigor.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
Loremasters can go a lot of ways. Out of the box they're decently effective at combat, but it's viable to do any of pushing them even further to be poo poo-wreckers, expanding their suite of excellent utility spells, or scaling both for flexibility. If you're looking to optimize it really depends on what the primary lord of the stack is; you just pick whatever the lord isn't.

Handmaidens are a triple hybrid of ranged/melee/army support; they're probably best as support-first-ranged-second but they're perfectly serviceable with most builds. IMO they work similar to Nobles, in that they're the second hero in the stack and usually restricted to be with non-LLs since those armies usually are weaker and need the help.

kiss me Pikachu
Mar 9, 2008
There's several aspects of the campaign movement system that seem like they would be easy to improve without dramatic overhauls. The movement silhouette you get when hovering over the AI's army sucks, it doesn't display what you need it to if the army is garrisoned/encamped/recruiting or already in force march while the AI has perfect information of any visible army's movement range at all times. Not being able to enter stances at just over the threshold is just a dumb frustrating bug that leads me to quicksave before I move armies, letting armies move in stance like you can with raiding or being able to select a stance and not use up movement that would lock them out of entering it would be a lot better.

Zones of control are really ineffective against the AI, the oft repeated besieging of a settlement with a full stack and garrison trapped inside while the besieging army and the AI's other armies gang up on your reinforcements outside the city is just silly. It's also very good at somehow walking through your lead army's zone to attack an army just behind it. Allowing besieged settlements reinforce battles where the army surrounding them is taking part seems like an obvious change - fixing how ineffective defensive positioning other than ambush stance is seems more complicated but I'd be interested in something like zones of control reworked to not block movement but prompt the defensive army to force a battle with encamped or garrisoned forces having bigger zones of control.

Also I've stacked so many movement bonuses in my Khatep game that the regular movement is ridiculous and force march gives a few extra pixels of range which seems like a bug or some sort of hard cap.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Heroes of might and magic 3 has a “your hero’s campaign movement is partly affected by the slowest unit stack in your army” system, which means the thing to do is to have a level 1 “squire” hero following your main army, whose single purpose is to carry all but the fastest units between turns, to be traded back to your main hero at the beginning of the next turn. Repeat each turn

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
A big issue with zones of control right now is the map design; a lot of provinces are fairly flat with few chokepoints, and I don't think you get much of a movement bonus from roads, making it incredibly easy for the A.I to just walk around armies and walled settlements without the player getting the chance to catch up. This is made worse by the fact that the A.I can sack and move on the same turn.

The Underway essentially making the entire world flat for certain factions compounds this problem; making the underway set paths that only some factions could utilise would be a huge improvement.

rabidcowfromhell
Dec 27, 2004

Remember Iowa
I got both Warhammers 2 days ago and haven't gotten very far in a campaign because I can't decide which faction to play and keep restarting. What's a good faction that has really devastating spells and also cool monsters? Strong melee units is also a big plus.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Empire or High Elves are great starting points.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

rabidcowfromhell posted:

I got both Warhammers 2 days ago and haven't gotten very far in a campaign because I can't decide which faction to play and keep restarting. What's a good faction that has really devastating spells and also cool monsters? Strong melee units is also a big plus.

Lizardmen, Vampire Counts, High Elves, Dark Elves.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
My brain immediately went to "Daemons of Nurgle :getin:"

show us the cooler gods CA I do not care about khorne

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

rabidcowfromhell posted:

Lizards check all your boxes real early. Spellcasters and good melee frontline from the start, recruit dinos starting at Tier 3 buildings.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

My brain immediately went to "Daemons of Nurgle :getin:"

show us the cooler gods CA I do not care about khorne

I think I'd prefer Tzeentch, Nurgle, Slaanesh, Khorne in that order

H2Eau
Jun 2, 2010

rabidcowfromhell posted:

Playing the Vampire Counts in Mortal Empires might check your boxes! Mannfred von Carstein has a pretty easy start. He has access to two lores of magic himself, and starts with a Varghulf - a vampire that has devolved into a big mutant bat creature.

Vampire Counts get some real rude dudes in terms of monsters, as well as some cool melee units (Grave Guard, Blood Knights, Cairn Wraiths).

Their downside is that they have extremely limited options for ranged units - they had access to zero ranged units before they had a bit of a revamp.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Don't play as the bald failson Mannfed, play as his awesome dad Vlad "the Chad" where every unit in his army gets vanguard deployment.

Nice Helstorm rocket batteries you got there, it'd be a shame if a bunch of skeletons appeared out of thin air right in front of you, rendering them useless. :skeltal:

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

rabidcowfromhell posted:

Vampire Counts probably fit the most here: they're basically a melee-only faction who rely on monsters and spells especially to make up for their lack of ranged units. The lore of Vampires is probably the strongest lore in the game in terms of utility and in terms of damaging spells, and they get access to Shadows as well (which also has some strong buffs and damaging spells too). Death is also there, and also good, but not quite as powerful, imo. They have a lot of strong, durable melee infantry and some very lethal monsters. They also feel fairly different on the battlemap by having 0 ranged units and a reliance on single powerful units/heroes and monsters. Downside is that the reliance on powerful units and monsters is generally most powerful/cost-effective when you surround them with an army of chaff, not your strong melee units. Still, they hit a lot of your requirements. Play as Isabella and recruit Vlad for two fun LLs and very early access to lots of heroes, or play as Mannfred for an absolute monster of a LL.

Lizardmen also fit the bill. They have a lot of dinosaurs. They have magic frogs with some devastating spells, including one very (mostly dead) magic frog that does nothing but blow things up. They have access to good lores and powerful casters, most of which can be mounted on dinosaurs for some more monster smashing. And their T1 infantry is loving great, if expensive, while their later tier infantry units are also good. Some ranged units, mostly skirmishers, but the focus is on the dinosaurs and infantry.

High and Dark Elves can work this way if you want, but they're more powerful with ranged units backing up monsters instead of strong melee units. HE get a menagerie of flying monsters including several varieties of dragon and phoenix, while DE get two hydra varieties and a dragon. Both also get a lot of magic, and while both can get some very good infantry, they can do better with their excellent archers. Still, like I said, infantry-based armies of Executioners/Swordmasters with Black/Phoenix Guard would be more than adequate.

Other factions either lack monsters or melee infantry options, and so probably aren't what you're looking for as much.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Jun 7, 2021

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Don't play as the bald failson Mannfed, play as his awesome dad Vlad "the Chad" where every unit in his army gets vanguard deployment.

Nice Helstorm rocket batteries you got there, it'd be a shame if a bunch of skeletons appeared out of thin air right in front of you, rendering them useless. :skeltal:

Mannfred rules Vlad drools fight me

Admittedly Mannfred was better when he had hair and wasn't responsible for blowing up the world

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

So I figured I'd ask, even though I've googled it off the planet without finding an answer:

Does anyone know how to fix end-turn crashing to desktop?
Seems there are umpteenth reports of it randomly impacting campaigns on turn X.

Error logs don't point to anything obvious. The last AI move was to create an agent and assign it traits.
Game crashes on turn 89 during Clan Spiteel or New World Colonies' turn.

I even loaded a save from 25 turns prior, played to that point again, with the exact same thing happening.

(Also, if anyone has all DLC and can try progressing my save game 1 turn, I'd appreciate it)

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
As a relative newcomer to the game, Vlad von Carstein with a monster and vampire hero heavy army is probably the most fun I've had so far tbh.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

GolfHole posted:

So I figured I'd ask, even though I've googled it off the planet without finding an answer:

Does anyone know how to fix end-turn crashing to desktop?
Seems there are umpteenth reports of it randomly impacting campaigns on turn X.

Error logs don't point to anything obvious. The last AI move was to create an agent and assign it traits.
Game crashes on turn 89 during Clan Spiteel or New World Colonies' turn.

I even loaded a save from 25 turns prior, played to that point again, with the exact same thing happening.

(Also, if anyone has all DLC and can try progressing my save game 1 turn, I'd appreciate it)

When this was happening to me it was because of a problem with a mod I had installed, but has since been fixed. If you're using any mods at all, you might try disabling them one at a time until you can progress the turn normally to figure out which mod is doing it.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

No mods whatsoever.

From what I can research, it seems to be a known unsolved issue with one of 3 things:

Lord Kroak Spawning
A Vampire Coast Faction being eliminated
or an Agent spawning at a city which has no room for it to spawn

There are tons of reports of this happening to all factions, but it's my first time experiencing it.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Mannfred rules Vlad drools fight me

Admittedly Mannfred was better when he had hair and wasn't responsible for blowing up the world

Mannfred was originally fluffed as a brilliant master schemer who was the primary reason why Vlad failed to conquer the Empire(because he was playing the long game and wanted to rule it himself). This was cool and rad.

Then they rewrote him into whiny idiot bald Starscream who can't scheme his way out of a paper bag and gets owned all the time by everyone. It didn't help that they used him as a scapegoat/sponge for a lot of poo poo writing decisions, culminating in blaming the world blowing up on him.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
HELMAAAN GHOOORST!

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Babylon Astronaut posted:

HELMAAAN GHOOORST!

Who?

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

I think they meant to say Heinrich Kemmler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
The new unit trailer is out for Khorne. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4c-w5ojSmBQ