Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I mean I've been playing Nocturne HD and the fact that a port of a nearly 20 year old game drops to a single digit framerate on occasion is pretty silly
I mean, it's just an incredibly lazy port. The PC version suffers the same flaws. That's not a Switch issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Tender Bender posted:

I mean maybe we're arguing different things because I'm not saying Nintendo HAS to do this, I'm saying that I would like them to do it. I do want to clarify that I'm not talking about being able to lovingly render zombie organs in 4k I'm just asking to play fairly undemanding games in a higher resolution.

there is a vaguely subjective space between "undemanding" and "requires better hardware" that I think it's not worth fighting about

I'm personally not bothered by 720p, if you are that's cool

Butterfly Valley posted:

No-one who wants an upgraded Switch thinks it's to maintain parity with the PS5 and Series X and have AAA games developed and released for it concurrently with releases on those platforms.

Butterfly Valley posted:

There's no chance in hell we're going to see any more games of the calibre of Witcher 3 or Doom Eternal now that development has mainly switched over to the new generation of consoles.

you doing okay, dude?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I mean I've been playing Nocturne HD and the fact that a port of a nearly 20 year old game drops to a single digit framerate on occasion is pretty silly

thats not the switch though. ive been playing it on my pc and ive had the fps dip like that lol the port is just... not very well made

Tender Bender posted:

Like we're not on Nintendo's board no one here is going to actually make any changes, you don't need to position other posters as straw men to win this argument that affects nothing. It's not saying "I think games should be graphics first and I don't care about the fine gameplay quality at Nintendo" to say you'd like to buy a Switch that's less obsolete so games can look a little better.

no but you are going to endlessly complain which is even worse

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Nintendo

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
games

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
i don't care that much about graphics either but if you don't think most people care about them idk what to tell you, a lot of people really care. enough that rockstar can keep making prettier versions of the most successful video game of all time and keep selling it. you don't think nintendo wants some of that money? lol

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Oh right, Mario Maker 2! He mentioned that and already has a very specific course design in mind.

I played 3D World on WU with my wife and it’s great. My niece is about 2.5 yrs old so she’s going to be able to hold a controller soon too I imagine. The coop angle is a great idea... though last time I spoke with my BIL he was thinking about getting him a Lite, despite my urging against that idea. A Lite sounds like A Disaster for a kid. Those poor joycons are going to get annihilated so quickly and then the entire system will have to be sent for repairs.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Wildtortilla posted:

My nephew got reeeaaaalllly into Mario over the past year from playing Galaxy on his Dad’s Wii. His sixth birthday is in a few months and he will be receiving a Switch from his parents. I’m putting a lot of thought into what game(s) I’m going to get him.

For mainline Mario titles I’m thinking about :
-Odyssey
-3D World
-All Stars (probably not since he has Galaxy already and I’m struggling to adapt to 64 and Suneshine as I play through Allstars).
-the Wii U NSMB (it got a port, right? I played it on Wii U and thought it was great).

I’m also thinking about Mario themed games:
-Captain Toad
-Smash Bros.
-Mario Kart

I’m also considering Link’s Awaking. He is aware of Link and Zelda but is under the misconception that he’s too young to play them. I call bullshit because I was playing original LoZ when I was 4 or 5. I wasn’t good at it and I didn’t know what I was doing but I had lots of fun with it. I completed LA as my first solo Zelda game when I was about 7. My nephew is the smartest kid I’ve ever met so I’m pretty sure he’d handle LA just fine.

I welcome any help narrowing down my list to one or two games, or other suggestions to consider (this is my first time ever buying a game for a kid).

Speaking from experience of my own two nephews who were 4 and 6 when the Switch launched (and they already had access to aWii U), any of all of those will be fine, plus Mario Maker.
I'd probably hold off on Mario Kart though; the lack of hand-eye coordination and experience means they'll get bored of it quickly, even with the driver aids.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jun 7, 2021

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Bleck posted:

there is a vaguely subjective space between "undemanding" and "requires better hardware" that I think it's not worth fighting about

If you want to be pedantic I'd be open to whatever categories you'd like to set to separate Hades and Last of Us 2.

Bleck posted:

you doing okay, dude?

Witcher 3 was not developed and released concurrently on the Switch and other platforms. It launched 2 years before the Switch and the Switch port was released an additional two and a half years later.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Foul Fowl posted:

i don't care that much about graphics either but if you don't think most people care about them idk what to tell you, a lot of people really care. enough that rockstar can keep making prettier versions of the most successful video game of all time and keep selling it. you don't think nintendo wants some of that money? lol

youre saying this like gta 5 wasnt already out when they were developing the switch. if they had wanted it to be able to run it it would, so no they apparently dont care lol

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Bleck posted:

you doing okay, dude?

Don't be a weirdo in friendly conversations

Science_enthusiast
Dec 2, 2018

TECH(no) WOMBLE

Shammypants posted:

I found your problem, this isn't halfway through the cycle. In terms of game titles released to Switch, and the games that will come even after a new version is released, the Switch is miles ahead of many other systems and is near the end of a cycle. This tech was also outdated when it came out, so you can't just say "well, it's only been 4 years" when everything that went into it was years old at release.

There's a lot of talk about reducing effects, diminishing graphics etc. but one issue I have is hit detection and other game elements. MHR is a feat to get on the switch and I applaud them, but it's easy, and probably easy relative to other MH games because of how capable it is to do real time game damage. The same applies to Hades which can be laggy and make you feel invincible, whereas on other systems with no latency, you are punished more. Maybe the detection is the same and it's all in my head, but I somehow doubt it, it surely related to optimization efforts and limitations to the system.

Thanks for identifying my problem my mistake. Didnt Nintendo officially say that they consider it to be mid lifecycle late last year https://www.vg247.com/2020/12/21/nintendo-switch-halfway-life-cycle/
Hence now its a little over half way. Until this generation the very idea of buying a nintendo console to play cross platform stuff would be ridiculous. Its very clearly not the focus of the company to put graphical fidelity first.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Bleck posted:

some people like games that put the visual fidelity of their presentation first and foremost and that's totally okay, but I think the reality is that Nintendo has realized that most people don't actually care about that, and despite the rhetoric of them being "left behind" it seems to me like not structuring their hardware schedule around that kind of game has largely been to their benefit

like Doomy Turnal is a fantastic game and all but the extremely lovingly rendered demon guts didn't tickle my brain like the hand drawn little bug people

There's a lot to unpick here but you're demonstrating a total lack of understanding of what makes Witcher 3 and Doom Eternal great games, and the fact that they were able to be ported over to the Switch at all indicates that the core experience of those games is still high quality enough that it could survive the transition to significantly slower hardware. They've sold well and been enjoyed by many people on the Switch and there certainly exists that market for people who want to have those kind of experiences on a portable platform. That kind of transition won't be possible at all with the next generation of games.

The official sales lists stuffed with Nintendo published games only include physical copies so it's absolutely impossible to quantify what's doing well digitally, but circumstantially from my personal library I have like 12 physical and 50+ digital games, and the availability of so many excellent indie ports and multiplatform games on the Switch is a big reason why I got one back in 2018. I would bet (and it's been said umpteen times itt) that this was a large part of the appeal for a huge amount of the customer base, and goes a large way to explain why Switch sales went from strength to strength while the Wii U (with excellent first party support) was ignored outside of diehard Nintendo fans.

Unfortunately now since I've recently built a PC I've barely touched the Switch because I can get most of those multiplatform games on the PC and play them in much much better quality so that combined with the pandemic meaning I'm barely travelling has given me very little impetus to pay the Switch Tax when I can get a better experience elsewhere.

Bleck posted:

you doing okay, dude?

Do you understand words like 'parity' and 'concurrently' because on this evidence you don't.

Butterfly Valley fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jun 7, 2021

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Hell I’ll double down on my opinion of Commander Keen (the first three, never played the fourth). They controlled like poo poo, looked so bad they could give you a migraine, and were uninspired trash.

The first one came out in 1990. We had Super Mario 3 early in the year, and Super Mario World by the end. Hell Ninja Gaiden 2 and Mega Man 3 were out (to illustrate how far beyond that janky crap the industry was years before).

Even if you were living in a vacuum and only had a PC, you had Prince of Persia, Wing Commander, Monkey Island, etc. Different genres, but if you wanted platformers what the gently caress were you doing with DOS? It was an ecosystem full of wildly ambitious, cinematic games you couldn’t play anywhere else.

It was a square peg in a round hole and five years behind the competition. Y’all got some rosey-rear end glasses to think those games were good. :colbert:

For further hot takes on MS-DOS shareware stay subbed to the Nintendo Switch thread.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Stux posted:

youre saying this like gta 5 wasnt already out when they were developing the switch. if they had wanted it to be able to run it it would, so no they apparently dont care lol

i don't think that's true but who knows. either way, replace gta 5 with any major release that touts its graphics as a main selling point. the ps5 is out of stock until 2025 for a reason. it's because people want to play really nice looking games.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Butterfly Valley posted:

There's a lot to unpick here but you're demonstrating a total lack of understanding of what makes Witcher 3 and Doom Eternal great games, and the fact that they were able to be ported over to the Switch at all indicates that the core experience of those games is still high quality enough that it could survive the transition to significantly slower hardware. They've sold well and been enjoyed by many people on the Switch and there certainly exists that market for people who want to have those kind of experiences on a portable platform.

The official sales lists stuffed with Nintendo published games only include physical copies so it's absolutely impossible to quantify what's doing well digitally, but circumstantially from my personal library I have like 12 physical and 50+ digital games, and the availability of so many excellent indie ports and multiplatform games on the Switch is a big reason why I got one back in 2018. Unfortunately now since I've recently built a PC I've barely touched the Switch because I can get most of those multiplatform games on the PC and play them in much much better quality so that combined with the pandemic meaning I'm barely travelling has given me very little impetus to pay the Switch Tax when I can get a better experience elsewhere.

lmao insanely funny to go "well the official sales show the ports didnt sell well. however i bought them. therefore:"

Science_enthusiast posted:

Thanks for identifying my problem my mistake. Didnt Nintendo officially say that they consider it to be mid lifecycle late last year https://www.vg247.com/2020/12/21/nintendo-switch-halfway-life-cycle/
Hence now its a little over half way. Until this generation the very idea of buying a nintendo console to play cross platform stuff would be ridiculous. Its very clearly not the focus of the company to put graphical fidelity first.

please dontn use things like facts. the 4 year old switch is dead in the water and reggie must make switch 2 NOW

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Stux posted:

Yeah it should be remembered that it was on Xbox 360 and PS3 first, and didn't come out on PS4/Bone/PC until a year after their launch.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Science_enthusiast posted:

Mid-cycle to Nintendo means it will continue to receive support and games, just like the DS continued to get support and games. I can't imagine Bowser was saying 4 years is a halfway point to developing a new device. It simply cannot be true. Just improving video streaming and capturing market share as a video streaming device alone makes improving the hardware enticing and profitable, forget game titles.

It's also curious seeing the runup to a new console or updated console seeing the same treatment that the Switch had for it's release. A bunch of people here and elsewhere mocked it as derivative, silly, comparing it's utility to the Wii-U etc. I can't help but imagine the surreal transition given an announcement and release to excitement and joy instead of some kind of latent technophobia.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Stux posted:

lmao insanely funny to go "well the official sales show the ports didnt sell well. however i bought them. therefore:"

That's not what I said and you and the other guy are doing an excellent job of demonstrating the performative stupidity I was talking about earlier, although at this point it looks more like actual stupidity. I wasn't even referring to Witcher 3 or Doom Eternal at that point but both developers have said they were extremely happy with sales figures. Ignoring digital sales is incredibly stupid, but they are a hugely unknown quantity given that Nintendo only publishes physical sales figures which heavily favour Nintendo published games.

Butterfly Valley fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jun 7, 2021

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Foul Fowl posted:

i don't think that's true but who knows. either way, replace gta 5 with any major release that touts its graphics as a main selling point. the ps5 is out of stock until 2025 for a reason. it's because people want to play really nice looking games.

which part??? it came out in 2013, 4 years before the switch. the ps5 is out of stock bcos of a chip shortage that doesnt impact the switch as heavily because its old soc is much easier to producec and more foundrys are capable of pumping them out. by that logic the switch should never have sold any units because the ps4 pro, xbonx and pc could already run things better than it when it launched. mayhaps its a different product, fufilling a different use case, and thats why it does well.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Butterfly Valley posted:

That's not what I said and you and the other guy are doing an excellent job of demonstrating the performative stupidity I was talking about earlier, although at this point it looks more like actual stupidity.

spinning around in my desk chair yelling performative stupidity so i dont have to defend the dumb garbage i cant stop spewing over the thread

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Stux posted:

spinning around in my desk chair yelling performative stupidity so i dont have to defend the dumb garbage i cant stop spewing over the thread

How many physical games do you own vs digital?

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Tender Bender posted:

If you want to be pedantic

literally said I don't see the point of fighting about it?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Stux posted:

We know.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar
imo the Switch is good and it's a good console.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Louisgod posted:

sounds like you don't understand the difference between "parity" and "concurrently," you clod!!!

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Louisgod posted:

gfx degradation tho

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Foul Fowl posted:

Lol clearly the pandemic that has people locked inside coupled with a worldwide chip shortage, as well as online services that are prone to bots being the only way to purchase these in many cases has nothing to do with that, no sir.

Do remember that the Switch was drat near impossible to find last year, years after its initial release. Also remember that notable not-powerhouse system Wii also was selling out all over the place when it was released.

I bought a ps5 because it has some fun games to play on it, graphics be damned.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
hi thread i own a nintendo

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

nobody can own a nintendo any more than you can own the summer breeze or a child's laughter

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Stux posted:

And do you want to engage with the actual point I made, that the availability of many cross platform indie games is hypothetically a big reason why many people bought a switch, rather than trying to 'gotcha' me over a factual point I made about the availability of statistics for physical vs digital game sales?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Is the GameCube controller the only option for analog triggers? Looking at getting another gamepad and I'm not as married to the Pro Controller or 8Bitdo as a lot of other people, and I know Grid Autosport will make use of analog triggers.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

Bleck posted:

sounds like you don't understand the difference between "parity" and "concurrently," you clod!!!

lol if you don't remember these terms being used in the DS and WiiU days.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Butterfly Valley posted:

How many physical games do you own vs digital?

what evidence do you have that they sold well given that the fervor for making the ports dried up immediately. the only sales figures we have show they didnt do as well as would be expected from big name titles, and the absence of more ports even of titles from the same gen as the witcher 3 would seem to indicate there was not enough demand to warrant bigger devs pushing more titles over. however on the other hand, you bought them therefore itss impossible to work out whats going on. if "guy who cant shut up about how the switch is weak" bought them then they must have done well.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

flavor.flv posted:

nobody can own a child's laughter

Tell that to the DMCA :v:

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Stux posted:

which part??? it came out in 2013, 4 years before the switch. the ps5 is out of stock bcos of a chip shortage that doesnt impact the switch as heavily because its old soc is much easier to producec and more foundrys are capable of pumping them out. by that logic the switch should never have sold any units because the ps4 pro, xbonx and pc could already run things better than it when it launched. mayhaps its a different product, fufilling a different use case, and thats why it does well.

i don't think the switch could run gta 5 that well but idk and that wasn't the point i was making, the point is that people really care about good graphics. good graphics are not mutually exclusive with the switch being handheld. if they made a switch with really good graphics they would probably sell a shitload of them. even though some people in this thread don't care about it.

also, lol, the ps5 is also out of stock because it sold insanely fast. like really, really fast.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Foul Fowl posted:

i don't think the switch could run gta 5 that well but idk and that wasn't the point i was making, the point is that people really care about good graphics. good graphics are not mutually exclusive with the switch being handheld. if they made a switch with really good graphics they would probably sell a shitload of them. even though some people in this thread don't care about it.

also, lol, the ps5 is also out of stock because it sold insanely fast. like really, really fast.

the switch sold out at launch, and then a second time at the start of the pandemic. therefore no one cares about graphics and the ps5 and series x should switch to arm socs and become portable

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Butterfly Valley posted:

And do you want to engage with the actual point I made, that the availability of many cross platform indie games is hypothetically a big reason why many people bought a switch, rather than trying to 'gotcha' me over a factual point I made about the availability of statistics for physical vs digital game sales?

sir would you like to engage with my hypothetical i cannot prove instead of trying to gotcha me over facts.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Mister Facetious posted:

Tell that to the DMCA :v:

GOD drat YOU LATINAUTOR

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Science_enthusiast
Dec 2, 2018

TECH(no) WOMBLE

Shammypants posted:

Mid-cycle to Nintendo means it will continue to receive support and games, just like the DS continued to get support and games. I can't imagine Bowser was saying 4 years is a halfway point to developing a new device. It simply cannot be true. Just improving video streaming and capturing market share as a video streaming device alone makes improving the hardware enticing and profitable, forget game titles.

It's also curious seeing the runup to a new console or updated console seeing the same treatment that the Switch had for it's release. A bunch of people here and elsewhere mocked it as derivative, silly, comparing it's utility to the Wii-U etc. I can't help but imagine the surreal transition given an announcement and release to excitement and joy instead of some kind of latent technophobia.

I am not a technophobe I just find the idea of "need" when it comes to more graphics a little dumb, and an artificial concept planted by big hardware companies that want to sell stuff. I like stuff as well as the next person but also i dont think that an endless increase in graphical fidelity is particularly interesting.