Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Maybe I'm remembering wrong but I thought there was a map in the anime that just showed it as being this weird round forest surrounded by grasslands. If it was natural, it would've just been sprawling outward with smaller trees the further out it went. Instead it was just this fully grown circle of forest. It's strange!

But yes, I am just theorizing here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

duckdealer posted:

I find it hard to believe that over a hundred chapters were great by sheer luck. Maybe it’s true that the author had no good ideas as to how to pay off some important things but it does seem more likely than not that something wacky happened to give us what we got.

it's possible to have both good and bad ideas. many writers fluctuate and have different strengths, they aren't just Good or Bad.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Ccs posted:

I never actually finished Escaflowne so I just have amazing memories of the first few episodes and the opening clip Yutaka Nakamura animated from the movie.

Escaflowne is the first anime in Japanese (I had watched dubbed Ranma 1/2 episodes that were extremely low resolution on RealPlayer before this, though can't remember why) I watched on subbed VHS I borrowed from someone at my high school.

It is extremely nostalgic in one of those weird ways where it makes you remember a lot of specific feelings from that period of your life.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Hace posted:

it's possible to have both good and bad ideas. many writers fluctuate and have different strengths, they aren't just Good or Bad.

Yeah, but the ways the final chapter was bad feels weird. It screwed up in ways that don't really flow from how Isayama previously messed up.

Compare to 137, which also wasn't great, but it felt like a logical result of Isayama's flaws and talents.

It's not just good and bad. It's how it was bad.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I'd like for a redo. Many weeks after reading this final and meming on the leaks, I'd honestly appreciate a retry.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
Found on reddit but too funny not to share:

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

What is the thing in 139 about it not being Bertholdt’s time? I did not follow that but in the slightest

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
I think it meant that Eren did some titan mind control to keep Bertholdt alive because he knew more poo poo needed to happen in the future, so Bertholdt couldn't die yet.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.
I thought it meant armin was supposed to die and Eren fixed the timeline or something

Which seems counter intuitive since he seems like he has no ability to change anything

But he nudged Dina towards his mom and away from Bert as well???

There’s just no consistency and I struggle to feel content with any of these half assed answers we are forced to guess on

TheKirbs
Feb 16, 2018

True reality is on this side of the screen

Sockser posted:

What is the thing in 139 about it not being Bertholdt’s time? I did not follow that but in the slightest

To keep him alive so the future he wanted played out futureEren kept the titans from eating him which led to them going for his mother instead. Whether he intentionally had them eat her to keep Bertholdt alive or she was just the unfortunate person eaten instead isn't said.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
He intervened to save Berthold, and the immediate implication is he could've intervened to save any number of people (ie his mom) but didn't. Couldn't.

The Founder's power stretching to the past also makes Eren bear responsibility for every death the titans caused throughout the story, and throughout history.

Armin realizes this and has them move on to avoid having him dwell on it, as its clear his psyche is unraveling as is.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpkomOITdPo

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
lmao

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
So the fandom has finally snapped huh? What stage of grief is this?

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
Jesus... shippers' brains are irreparably broken.

DamnitGannet
Apr 8, 2007

Congrats to that person for making the ending even worse than I could have possibly imagined.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

feeling hitler's tits and rear end

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I thought it was a great throwback to 2005

mandatory lesbian fucked around with this message at 15:12 on May 30, 2021

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Super Rad posted:

Jesus... shippers' brains are irreparably broken.

DamnitGannet posted:

Congrats to that person for making the ending even worse than I could have possibly imagined.

comedyblissoption posted:

feeling hitler's tits and rear end

Never watched AoT or got into it so the context is lost, but I am curious as to what's wrong/why this is. Also yeah, shippers brains are irreparably broken.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

doomrider7 posted:

Never watched AoT or got into it so the context is lost, but I am curious as to what's wrong/why this is. Also yeah, shippers brains are irreparably broken.

One of the thesis of the series is that the relationship between the two characters in that video was unhealthy, and the girl needed to move on (which she finally does in the actual epilogue).

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
lmao

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Honestly, people should do whatever they want that helps give them a sense of closure. That said a love letter and tribute to what was shown as a toxic relationship isn't exactly healthiest thing to be doing. Hopefully later they'll look back and go "Okay that was kinda hosed up." after having worked through it.

As for the Requiem doujin, the website says the writer was inspired by their nephew's disappointment and wanted to give them a more worthwhile ending to read, which, I mean, we could argue if it wouldn't be better to teach them that sometimes endings suck and we should move on but at the same time I can't say I wouldn't do the same for my nephew if I were in that position so I wish them luck.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Elder Eren giving an anime villain speech about why he's going to murder the world to his younger self... gotta admit the advice of "when in doubt, add a monologue" really would help make things clear.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
Expecting weebs to have a healthy idea of what a relationship looks like is asking for too much I feel.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

Ah, I see. So Isayama really did write the ending out of spite for his fans and did so with the confidence that this course of action would be completely correct in hindsight.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

HoneyBoy posted:

Expecting weebs to have a healthy idea of what a relationship looks like is asking for too much I feel.

Given the receptions to stuff like Jobless Reincarnation and Shield Hero, frankly I think that's an overly optimistic and generous viewpoint you have.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 03:13 on May 31, 2021

DamnitGannet
Apr 8, 2007

doomrider7 posted:

i just think its really sad and pathetic for mikasa to stand vigil by erens grave long after he's dead and like, sleep next to it, and kiss it, and dress it up and ugh it's just really gross and not at all flattering or cute to me

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Ahaha I predicted someone would do this. Its not gonna be salvageable but I welcome them to try.

Ccs fucked around with this message at 21:58 on May 31, 2021

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

DamnitGannet posted:

i just think its really sad and pathetic for mikasa to stand vigil by erens grave long after he's dead and like, sleep next to it, and kiss it, and dress it up and ugh it's just really gross and not at all flattering or cute to me

That sounds super loving disturbing given what you guys have mentioned about this having been a super unhealthy relationship. Even in the context of it having been a functional one this would still be super weird and creepy. There's healthy mourning and then there's whatever the gently caress that is.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I mean she was introduced to Eren when bandits invaded her home and killed both her parents in front of her and he tried to rescue her and she had to kill them with a knife so it's not like any part of her life is normal or healthy

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I read the first chapter of that Attack on Titan fan ending chapter. They did a pretty good job mimicking the artwork but the flow and dialogue pattern doesn’t match the source material, I also have no idea what they’re trying to get at. Eren is gonna save the world and end the cycle of hatred by destroying everything?

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Does anyone have that “wow cool robot” meme for attack on Titan that’s like uh “war affects all of us but especially children”

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Just gonna leave this here:

https://twitter.com/yeagerhub/status/1401876209055698949

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

drat thats some four dimensional chess we all got played by

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

LOL

Excited to relive this trash fire next year with the anime.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Who's Kawakubo?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
His editor

I can't believe the conspiracy theories are coming true before our eyes

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
So I'm assuming you guys already read the interview where Isayama mentions he added in Eren's, "No! I don't want her moving on past me!" at the last moment and never originally planned to have Eren acknowledge Mikasa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

I used to think genocide was good until Mikasa kissed the head. Thank you AoT!