Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

IIRC the Georgian era was the last gasp of the barber-surgeon, though I'm sure there were plenty of barbers in the Victorian era who would gladly charge you to lance a boil or whatever.

edit: beaten! Nonetheless, Sweeney Todd doing a tooth-pulling is probably anachronistic.

Sweeney Todd wasn't catering to (e: or with) the class who could afford barbers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Magic Hate Ball posted:

IIRC the Georgian era was the last gasp of the barber-surgeon, though I'm sure there were plenty of barbers in the Victorian era who would gladly charge you to lance a boil or whatever.

edit: beaten! Nonetheless, Sweeney Todd doing a tooth-pulling is probably anachronistic.

Yeah, I like to take about an inch off the top and also get my appendix out.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Sweeney Todd wasn't catering to (e: or with) the class who could afford barbers.
"How gratifying for once to know that those above will serve those down below."

One Nut Wonder
Mar 17, 2009

pairofdimes posted:

The problem isn't the special names, but that some versions of the coins only say "half crown" or "one florin" or no denomination at all. If you don't know already know what those are worth it could be confusing. By the time the switch happened I think all the coins had clear values on them but that wasn't the case historically.

The US does that with the dime, it's the only coin that doesn't have its value in dollars or cents just "one dime".

The dime (disme) was one of the original denominations of US currency. Cent-dime-dollar. So you have 1 cent (penny), 5 cents (nickel), 1 dime (10 cents), a quarter (quarter dollar), half dollar, dollar coin, and the other bills (technically notes).

Also, although we call that copper coin a penny (now copper-coated zinc) , it's not. It is a cent. 1 cent, 2 cents. 1 penny, 2 pence . It's a holdover from the British.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

There are technically five denominations of US currency. 10 mills to the cent, 10 cents to the dime, 10 dimes to the dollar, and 10 dollars to the eagle. When the system was set up, each was a useful denomination because a dime had more practical value than a dollar does today.

Nowadays, mills are used only in gas and property taxation, eagles are forgotten because $10 is no longer a large amount of money, and dime remains only as the name of the 10-cent coin.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

One Nut Wonder posted:

The US does that with the dime, it's the only coin that doesn't have its value in dollars or cents just "one dime".

The dime (disme) was one of the original denominations of US currency. Cent-dime-dollar. So you have 1 cent (penny), 5 cents (nickel), 1 dime (10 cents), a quarter (quarter dollar), half dollar, dollar coin, and the other bills (technically notes).

Also, although we call that copper coin a penny (now copper-coated zinc) , it's not. It is a cent. 1 cent, 2 cents. 1 penny, 2 pence . It's a holdover from the British.

The word dime (disme) is actually derived from the Latin term for 1/10. So it does include the value in the name.

It's not really important anymore because the only coin I have a need for is a quarter.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Cemetry Gator posted:

The word dime (disme) is actually derived from the Latin term for 1/10. So it does include the value in the name.

It's not really important anymore because the only coin I have a need for is a quarter.

For gumballs or condoms

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Chew the gumball long enough it'll serve double duty

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Carillon posted:

Chew the gumball long enough it'll serve double duty

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Bucnasti posted:

Yeah I remember they did a "Ticker Tape" parade in the 80's for some thing or another and instead they used the strips of perforated paper from the edges of the lengths of paper used by continuous feed printers.

Which in and of itself is something lost on modern audiences.

There's one retro tech youtuber I watch who literally prints his patreon subscribers on a tractor feed dot-matrix printer as his outro, it's interesting and unusual enough these days to work even though you're just watching a printer go at it for awhile.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

God I hated that printer paper - it was always thin and poor quality, tore when you tried to remove the perforations, and I have never seen a single sheet of it that's actually A4 size. It's always slightly off.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
An episode of Futurama I watched last night featured the inventor Ron Popeil, who was famous for infomercials for his goofy products like the Chop-O-Matic and Mr. Microphone (also parodied by a classic episode of The Simpsons). My wife asked me, "How old would you have to be, nowadays, to even know who Ron Popeil was?", and I instantly thought of this thread. According to Wikipedia, Popeil sold RonCo in 2005, and the whole 'As Seen on TV' thing kind of depended on the premise of sitting around watching whatever's on until the infomercials start playing on late-night broadcast television. So the freshest that reference could possibly be is 16 years old. RonCo itself went bankrupt and shutdown in 2018.

Ritz On Toppa Ritz
Oct 14, 2006

You're not allowed to crumble unless I say so.
Was ‘As seen on TV’ trademarked?

I remember seeing poo poo in stores with a red ‘As seen on TV’ sticker but never thought they were all related products and just clever stores suckering impulse buying.

Are the ‘The more you know’ PSAs a dead thing now - with the rainbow and piano sting.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Sweevo posted:

God I hated that printer paper - it was always thin and poor quality, tore when you tried to remove the perforations, and I have never seen a single sheet of it that's actually A4 size. It's always slightly off.

Yeah but peeling off the hole strips was good times.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Sweevo posted:

There was laser cut pin-feed paper that was good.

I worked for a subsidary of Epson in the early 1980's and had one of their dot-matrix jobs. Removing the perf on a laser cut paper worked great.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Those printers were always loud as gently caress too, and in the school labs there'd always be someone printing out roughly 857 pages at a time so it would be screeching forever.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Imagined posted:

An episode of Futurama I watched last night featured the inventor Ron Popeil, who was famous for infomercials for his goofy products like the Chop-O-Matic and Mr. Microphone (also parodied by a classic episode of The Simpsons). My wife asked me, "How old would you have to be, nowadays, to even know who Ron Popeil was?", and I instantly thought of this thread. According to Wikipedia, Popeil sold RonCo in 2005, and the whole 'As Seen on TV' thing kind of depended on the premise of sitting around watching whatever's on until the infomercials start playing on late-night broadcast television. So the freshest that reference could possibly be is 16 years old. RonCo itself went bankrupt and shutdown in 2018.

Hell, as a kid I barely got that he was a real person and not just a made up name for Weird Al to use in a song about infomercials

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BX56syrmWQ

(Also, 40 years later I'm like...oh that's a B-52s style he's doing there :doh:)

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Drimble Wedge posted:

Those printers were always loud as gently caress too, and in the school labs there'd always be someone printing out roughly 857 pages at a time so it would be screeching forever.

I used to detect a sort of musical rhythm and groove to the sound of a dot-matrix printer printing some long document. It pleased me greatly when clever people started figuring out how to make that 'music' on purpose and uploading videos of it to YouTube.

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Cracker King posted:

I remember seeing poo poo in stores with a red ‘As seen on TV’ sticker but never thought they were all related products and just clever stores suckering impulse buying.

Are the ‘The more you know’ PSAs a dead thing now - with the rainbow and piano sting.

I always thought that was a trademarked thing for NBC with the piano & rainbow thing.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Imagined posted:

I used to detect a sort of musical rhythm and groove to the sound of a dot-matrix printer printing some long document. It pleased me greatly when clever people started figuring out how to make that 'music' on purpose and uploading videos of it to YouTube.

Yeah if you haven't seen the Floppotron it's legitimately amazing what can be done with just the residual noise from old computer hardware:

https://youtu.be/bzRO5qYbuNo

I think in general something that people who have only known a world of SSDs and low power laptops may not understand is just how much noise old computers used to make. Hard drive and floppy drive clicks, the sound of CDs spinning up, power supply whine, motherboard PC speakers beeps when things went wrong, etc... Everything is just so...quiet now.

Mr Luxury Yacht fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jun 7, 2021

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Imagined posted:

An episode of Futurama I watched last night
Speaking of Futurama, every time I hear a voice that sounds even remotely the one he does in that scene I think of "This is Rich Little imitating Howard Cosell", which nowadays is someone that nobody's ever of, playing himself, imitating someone that nobody's ever heard of.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Cracker King posted:

I was shocked to discover that there's still an As Seen On TV store at my local mall. I can't imagine teenagers having any idea why it's called that unless their parents explain it. Of course, teenagers hanging out at the mall is appropriate for this thread as well.

As for The More You Know PSAs, I thought they stopped those like 20 years ago but who knows. The only time I still hear about them are millenials / Gen Xs nostalgiaing about them.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Ladies, germs, and molecules: A library card.

There was a machine, whose name I can't remember and Googling has failed, into which you inserted the library card and the card from the library book's pasted-on pocket. The machine went kerCHUNK, simultaneously printing your card number on the card and chipping off a bit of the book card's edge so that the next use would print on the next line. When all the edges of the book card were chipped down to a nubbin (it reversed both top-to-bottom and front-to-back, so there were four usable edges), you had to type up a new one.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Yeah if you haven't seen the Floppotron it's legitimately amazing what can be done with just the residual noise from old computer hardware:

https://youtu.be/bzRO5qYbuNo

I think in general something that people who have only known a world of SSDs and low power laptops may not understand is just how much noise old computers used to make. Hard drive and floppy drive clicks, the sound of CDs spinning up, power supply whine, motherboard PC speakers beeps when things went wrong, etc... Everything is just so...quiet now.

When I built my own computer a couple years ago, I tried to find an internal speaker so I could get that sweet startup beep and couldn't. The motherboard had a header for it, but there wasn't one included in the box and the only ones I could find for sale were like packs of 20 off aliexpress. Dammit, I just want one tiny piezo beeper.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Arivia posted:

When I built my own computer a couple years ago, I tried to find an internal speaker so I could get that sweet startup beep and couldn't. The motherboard had a header for it, but there wasn't one included in the box and the only ones I could find for sale were like packs of 20 off aliexpress. Dammit, I just want one tiny piezo beeper.

It's also frustrating if things go wrong since the POST beeps can tell you what's failing if the computer won't boot. Some fancier motherboards have small seven segment displays on the board itself that displays the error code but if you don't have that it's entirely guesswork now.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Arivia posted:

What you want is an Arduino speaker for little microcontroller computers. You can get them for a couple bucks.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

It's also frustrating if things go wrong since the POST beeps can tell you what's failing if the computer won't boot. Some fancier motherboards have small seven segment displays on the board itself that displays the error code but if you don't have that it's entirely guesswork now.
I thought these beeps came through the onboard sound now? Heard of that anyway.

Also plenty of internal pc speaker piezo things on amazon now.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

I used to rely on those beepy noises when I had a volunteer job assembling computers out of donated parts. Damned if I can remember what means what now, other than "single short beep = good".

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjZrYPovm_Y

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Flipperwaldt posted:

I thought these beeps came through the onboard sound now? Heard of that anyway.
Onboard sound generally needs a lot more stuff to be functional to work. If the error is something like "No RAM", it's a lot easier to drive a 7-segment LCD or make a buzzer pattern than talk to a fancy sound chip.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Arivia posted:

Dammit, I just want one tiny piezo beeper.

Piezo buzzers sound like rear end. You want one of those proper little cone speakers, they have a much smoother sound, which is more pleasing for old DOS games and stuff.

Like one of these: https://www.ebay.com/itm/123699719318?hash=item1ccd13ec96:g:z58AAOxyOlhSqjdS

As a bonus, it's magnetic and can just be stuck inside the case wherever.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
In the movie Red Dragon, the two serial killers were communicating with a secret code that they passed through personal ads in a newspaper. Would anybody today know what that was? Are personal ads even a thing anymore?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

MightyJoe36 posted:

In the movie Red Dragon, the two serial killers were communicating with a secret code that they passed through personal ads in a newspaper. Would anybody today know what that was? Are personal ads even a thing anymore?
It's like craigslists facebook marketplace actually I have no idea what the kids these days sell stuff on and now I feel old

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
etsy or onlyfans

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
WTB a used washer-dryer will trade pictures of my junk ONO

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

KozmoNaut posted:

Piezo buzzers sound like rear end. You want one of those proper little cone speakers, they have a much smoother sound, which is more pleasing for old DOS games and stuff.

Like one of these: https://www.ebay.com/itm/123699719318?hash=item1ccd13ec96:g:z58AAOxyOlhSqjdS

As a bonus, it's magnetic and can just be stuck inside the case wherever.

It’s a Windows 10 system (my everyday desktop), not a retro PC. Literally just wanted it for the startup beep/POST codes if necessary.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I just learned Big League Chew still exists. Are there kids who still want to chew chewing tobacco like their baseball heroes? I feel like there is like 20 things out of style in that concept for a gum.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I just learned Big League Chew still exists. Are there kids who still want to chew chewing tobacco like their baseball heroes? I feel like there is like 20 things out of style in that concept for a gum.

I think it's just weird gum to them. I grew up in the south in the 90s and didn't even associate it with chewing tobacco until I was an adult because in my area it was called dip.

Ritz On Toppa Ritz
Oct 14, 2006

You're not allowed to crumble unless I say so.
Chewing tobacco is like shredded leaves - raw and can make your mouth bleed when you first try it.

Skol and Cophenhagen dip is more ground up.

I had a roommate from Texas who dipped and chewed and always had a large plastic cup to spit in.

Gross as gently caress.

But now I know what that weird circle bulge is in the back pocket of creeps in 70s - 80s movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Yea Big League Chew is just bubble gum to kids. No one is buying it to look like their idol or anything, it just tastes good like all bubble gum.