Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Spider-Man was good about alluding to other books. If the X-Men caused a blackout in part of Manhattan, Amazing Spider-Man would make a reference to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

bessantj posted:

I recently read Peter Parker, The Spectacular Spider-Man #100 the story of which continued into Web of Spider-Man #1 and I was wondering when was the first time a story continued in different solo titles for the same character? So for example Peter Parker, The Spectacular Spider-Man #100 to Web of Spider-Man #1 rather than an issue of Captain America to an issue of Avengers or an issue of Batman then an issue of Justice League.
I think a lot of that is how you define stories continuing/crossing over. There were sometimes explicit crossovers in late 1970s/1980s Batman, like a 1982 story where Batman is attacked by a vampire in Batman #350, realizes he's become a vampire in Detective Comics #517, then looks for a cure for vampirism in Batman #351, then cures himself in Detective Comics #518. All of those comics end with the same "continued in [other book]!" message that Spectacular #100 do, and are from two years earlier. There are likely earlier examples of this, but that one came to mind first.

Random Stranger posted:

But Spider-Man was the first time there was continuity between two solo books for the same character. Superman and Batman had multiple simultaneous series, but even the Sand Superman story which was the first proper long-form story for one of them was only in one book.
This might be true, but it would have been back in the 1970s when Peter Parker the Spectacular Spider-Man (or I guess arguably Marvel Team-Up a few years earlier), not with the introduction of Web Of Spider-Man. There's also a difference between "continuity" and "stories directly continued from one book to another", as various and sundry status quo changes were reflected across multiple Superman or Batman books in the 1970s, even if (for instance) Sand Superman was incorporating the Daily Planet getting purchased, Lois and Clark moving to Galaxy TV as their jobs, Superman being immune to Kryptonite, Intergang, etc. These things didn't all originate in Superman, and they were also part of the stories in Jimmy Olsen, Lois Lane, Action Comics, etc. I think this is a lot closer to "continuity between solo books for the same character" that Spider-Man had prior to the 1980s, in that he might reference "I'm still sore from fighting Rhino!" in Spectacular Spider-Man after fighting Rhino in Amazing Spider-Man, but the Rhino story itself didn't span between two books.

Skwirl posted:

There's an early Spider-Man story where it's snowing for two panels and he says "oh, that was weird" and an editor's not saying to "check out Tales to Astonish" because Thor was dealing with some sort of cask of the eternal winter shenanigans. And I think whichever issue of Fantastic Four Hulk first showed up in was meant to be a continuation of the story happening in the then canceled Hulk book.
While it's now officially in the first half of Spider-Man's publication history, which makes me feel really old, that particular story happened just a few months prior to Web of Spider-Man #1, across Walt Simonson's Thor and getting mentioned directl/indirectly in books from the summer of 1984 (the two Spider-Man books, Fantastic Four, Avengers). So a solid 15-20 years after the Tales to Astonish/Tales of Suspense/Journey into Mystery were dropped, and over twenty years after Hulk initially got canceled.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Ah the snow thing was way later than I remembered. I thought it was when I was reading the super early stuff in those B&W Essential phone books.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Skwirl posted:

those B&W Essential phone books

Those were such a good idea, and I only wish that the binding on them hadn't been so poo poo. So many of those old comics looked just fantastic in black and white on newsprint. Tomb of Dracula? :discourse:

I also wish I hadn't sold all mine when I moved, but oh, well.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Pastry of the Year posted:

Those were such a good idea, and I only wish that the binding on them hadn't been so poo poo. So many of those old comics looked just fantastic in black and white on newsprint. Tomb of Dracula? :discourse:

I also wish I hadn't sold all mine when I moved, but oh, well.

I really wish they would bring those back. Most everything in them is on Unlimited, but it was super satisfying to read them that way, plus they were really good at incorporating the annuals where they should be in the reading order.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Edge & Christian posted:

I think a lot of that is how you define stories continuing/crossing over. There were sometimes explicit crossovers in late 1970s/1980s Batman, like a 1982 story where Batman is attacked by a vampire in Batman #350, realizes he's become a vampire in Detective Comics #517, then looks for a cure for vampirism in Batman #351, then cures himself in Detective Comics #518. All of those comics end with the same "continued in [other book]!" message that Spectacular #100 do, and are from two years earlier. There are likely earlier examples of this, but that one came to mind first.

I was thinking about PPSS-M #100 because the last panel is Peter putting his costume in a wardrobe with the symbiote rising up behind the costume and the first panel of WoS-M is the same panel but from the symbiote's perspective which I thought was pretty cool. though if Detective Comics is a Batman only yitle then it would qualify.

Quick question when did omnibus collections of comic issues into one book become a thing and who started it?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

bessantj posted:

Quick question when did omnibus collections of comic issues into one book become a thing and who started it?

Trade paper back collections have been around since at least the 70's and it wasn't uncommon for whole maxi-series to be collected between two covers in the 80's. The Carl Barks Library is a good example of an early comics archival project, though it's collected in many volumes. The first "massive slab of comics collected between two covers" that I can think of is Cerebus. Dave Sim started making collections that were 25 issue long blocks in the 80's and people called them "phone books". The Church & State books wound up being over thirty issues in each volume. After that, he started making the collections a lot more manageable, generally around a dozen issues which is about what you saw from other publishers' larger collections.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The Tick is the first I can remember calling itself an "omnibus" but those were still no longer than typical trades

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Didn't realise it had been around since the 70s, I would have thought the 80s. Thanks for the info.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

It depends a lot on what you consider "omnibuses", as mentioned there were collections of comics in the 1970s, and they took a bigger (but minor) foothold in the 1980s when the direct market took off. I am aware of maybe a couple dozen "trade paperbacks" from Marvel or DC (maybe a few dozen if you expand to Pocket Book reprints of Marvel books in the late 1970s or expand it to include like... A Contract with God) in the 1970s.

There were definitely more in the 1980s: the Cerebus phonebooks came along in 1986 and were maybe the first thing that resembles "a big book collecting a complete run", a couple of years prior to collections of complete series like Watchmen and The Dark Knight Returns.
The lion's shares of collections were still things like Origins of Marvel Comics or The Greatest Superman Stories Ever Told.

For instance, in a Marvel Holiday Gift Guide from 1988, here's a complete list of superhero reprint collections (not including 'original graphic novels') available from Marvel in 1988:
1. X-Men: The Asgardian Wars
2. Hawkeye mini-series
3. Hercules, Prince of Power mini-series
4. Machine Man mini-series
5. Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe v1-10
6. Power Pack: Origin Album
7. Project Pegasus Saga
8. The Punisher mini-series
9. X-Men In the Savage Land
10. Daredevil: Born Again
11. Elektra: Assassin
12. Spider-Man: The Alien Costume Saga
13. Wolverine mini-series
14. X-Men: The Dark Phoenix Saga

And then the first seven Marvel Masterworks: two Fantastic Fours, two Spider-Mans, two X-Men, and one Avengers.

Even into the 1990s, while there were projects like the above mentioned Marvel Masterworks and DC Archives slooooowly reprinting every issue of big titles, and certain books like Sandman or Starman would get complete* reprint trades, there was no default assumption that any book, even a popular one, would get collected editions until the early 2000s when Quesada/Jemas made it a priority at Marvel. This was met with pockets of outrage, because the tradeoff was that they weren't doing as much overprinting/backstock of single issues, and a lot of fans/retailers believed that they were killing the business, not just for killing back issue sales, but because a potential new customer for (say) Ultimate X-Men would come into the shop after issue 4 came out, see that 1-3 were out of stock, and then never ever ever come back in three months to get the collected edition of 1-6.

Quesada/Jemas started putting out oversized hardcovers of recent books pretty early in their run (Ultimate Spider-Man and New X-Men were two I remember early on) and the first "omnibus" to my knowledge from Marvel was the Fantastic Four Omnibus reprinting the first thirty issues of Lee/Kirby stuff in 2005. These were preceded by the first Absolutes from DC in 2002, and there were some "complete reprint collections" for Carl Barks, EC Comics, and other things outside of the Big Two even earlier than that. It really wasn't until the 2000s that most publishers really started taking this stuff seriously, even big art comic books from big art comic publishers like Hate, Love & Rockets, and Eightball didn't get comprehensive reprint lines until 2005, 2007, and 2015 respectively.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jun 5, 2021

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Are there examples of storylines/series ideas that were so offensive they got spiked similar to Holy Terror?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Are there examples of storylines/series ideas that were so offensive they got spiked similar to Holy Terror?

I just finished reading the X-Statix omnibus and there was a storyline about Princess Di coming back from the dead and being proclaimed a mutant who the whole world loved and who the English government wanted to kill. There were issues drawn and everything and then Marvel spiked the idea due to offensiveness of having a resurrected Princess Di so the issues had to be redrawn and the storyline kind of made no sense.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Madkal posted:

I just finished reading the X-Statix omnibus and there was a storyline about Princess Di coming back from the dead and being proclaimed a mutant who the whole world loved and who the English government wanted to kill. There were issues drawn and everything and then Marvel spiked the idea due to offensiveness of having a resurrected Princess Di so the issues had to be redrawn and the storyline kind of made no sense.
I remember this!

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

The Jesus issue of Swamp Thing comes to mind.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Along similar lines, there was a Ghost Rider comic where he was saved from demons by a mysterious bearded stranger who was clearly intended to be Jesus. Jim Shooter didn't approve, and had a later appearance by the character rewritten to reveal the character was actually a demonic trick.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Brian Azzarello was slated to take over the Authority after Mark Millar, his main arc was set to involve the team killing God.

It never happened obviously.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Didn't Ellis kill God in that title before Millar took over?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Uthor posted:

Didn't Ellis kill God in that title before Millar took over?

That wasn't God, just a huge alien godlike being. Azzarello's idea was they were going to go to actual heaven and kill god.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Rhyno posted:

Ennis wrote the last year or so of the Demon and then used him a bit in Hitman. When he shows up in WW he's back to his old semi heroic ways and not the monster Ennis turned him into.

I totally forgot about Hitman. That was a fun book. Do those characters still exist?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Disco Pope posted:

I totally forgot about Hitman. That was a fun book. Do those characters still exist?

Doesn't that book end with everyone dying?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Speaking of Ellis, he wrote an issue of Hellblazer that was fully drawn and inked and then spiked because it was about school shootings. Never published but has been leaked online fully so it's not hard to find.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Skwirl posted:

Speaking of Ellis, he wrote an issue of Hellblazer that was fully drawn and inked and then spiked because it was about school shootings. Never published but has been leaked online fully so it's not hard to find.

It came out eventually.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoot_(Hellblazer)

I think it's the only Hellblazer comic I own, funnily. Probably the only one I've read.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

muscles like this! posted:

Just Tommy and Nat the Hat. Pat and Ringo had both died some issues before.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

I’m pretty sure Six-Pack sobered up.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

CopywrightMMXI posted:

also Hacken lived. Which might have been the most shocking twist of the entire book IMO

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

CopywrightMMXI posted:

wow i really need to read all-star six pack

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

site posted:

wow i really need to read all-star six pack

Yes, but not if you liked what was on that spoiler.

Htman spoilers: Baytor also survived.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Does anyone know if the Alan Moore Swamp Thing box set coming out in October has the new coloring from the absolute editions? I’d love to read it again, but the change in coloring really turns me off and has kept me from getting the absolutes. Here’s the solicitation: https://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/books/692440/saga-of-the-swamp-thing-box-set-by-alan-moore/

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Dunno, but Sandman went to the recolor version for everything after the Absolutes, so I'd guess so.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
Having set myself the Sisyphean task of burning through the entire Arrowverse, a question comes to my mind.

When did the Flash's costume start being considered protective gear against the effects of superspeed instead of just a costume?

Is it something that originated in the television shows, and has it been the case in the comics?

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

maltesh posted:

Having set myself the Sisyphean task of burning through the entire Arrowverse, a question comes to my mind.

When did the Flash's costume start being considered protective gear against the effects of superspeed instead of just a costume?

Is it something that originated in the television shows, and has it been the case in the comics?

I think it was *one* explanation used for the reason why friction doesn’t obliterate his flesh, but I don’t think it’s the definitive one.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
How does everyone know Superman can't see through lead? I get that maybe Luthor figures it out through being clever and he may have told some of his more trusted confidants but it seems like everyone in the DCU knows it and it's weird.

maltesh posted:

I feel like it's one of those things that happened over time as comic readers grew up from being kids who didn't ask too many questions about how powers worked into pedants who kept writing letters about how um, actually the Flash couldn't run that fast without the wind resistance killing him.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jun 12, 2021

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

TwoPair posted:

How does everyone know Superman can't see through lead? I get that maybe Luthor figures it out through being clever and he may have told some of his more trusted confidants but it seems like everyone in the DCU knows it and it's weird.

I feel like it's one of those things that happened over time as comic readers grew up from being kids who didn't ask too many questions about how powers worked into pedants who kept writing letters about how um, actually the Flash couldn't run that fast without the wind resistance killing him.

In the Chris Reeves movie he flat out tells Lois Lane in an interview. Also that's how x-rays work.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

At least initially I think it was just a common sense thing, Superman had "X-Ray Vision", and X-Rays were also a real-life thing that by the time Superman became popular were starting to become a common-place thing (there were shoe stores that would X-Ray your feet to show you how your new shoe fit, in addition to the medical uses that still happen). People knew what X-Rays were, and people also knew that X-Rays couldn't go through lead because people would wear lead aprons/other leaded things to block out the parts they did not want X-Rayed.

Even if someone might deduce that Superman's eyeballs might not work exactly like the X-Ray machine they encountered at the hospital or shoe store, it's probably worth a shot to hide your doomsday device in a lead box on the off chance Superman can't see through it. Once people realized X-Ray Vision is blocked by lead, I imagine word spread.

It's a lot more logical than everyone in the world knowing that Green Lantern rings don't work against yellow things. It's closer to lots of superheroes correctly deducing that Hydro-Man is made of water and therefore can be frozen, or conducts electricity really well, because that's what water does.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Edge & Christian posted:

At least initially I think it was just a common sense thing, Superman had "X-Ray Vision", and X-Rays were also a real-life thing that by the time Superman became popular were starting to become a common-place thing (there were shoe stores that would X-Ray your feet to show you how your new shoe fit, in addition to the medical uses that still happen). People knew what X-Rays were, and people also knew that X-Rays couldn't go through lead because people would wear lead aprons/other leaded things to block out the parts they did not want X-Rayed.

Even if someone might deduce that Superman's eyeballs might not work exactly like the X-Ray machine they encountered at the hospital or shoe store, it's probably worth a shot to hide your doomsday device in a lead box on the off chance Superman can't see through it. Once people realized X-Ray Vision is blocked by lead, I imagine word spread.

It's a lot more logical than everyone in the world knowing that Green Lantern rings don't work against yellow things. It's closer to lots of superheroes correctly deducing that Hydro-Man is made of water and therefore can be frozen, or conducts electricity really well, because that's what water does.

I mean, the first time the latter happened in public, it would DEFINITELY be in every paper and TV news story about the incident. And you know Hal Jordan would say, out loud, "drat, my ring is powerless against the colour yellow" like a loving idiot.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

I mean, the first time the latter happened in public, it would DEFINITELY be in every paper and TV news story about the incident. And you know Hal Jordan would say, out loud, "drat, my ring is powerless against the colour yellow" like a loving idiot.

I'm not sure Hal Jordan would blurt that out, not because he's smart enough to know blurting out your main weakness is a bad idea, just because he might have trouble remembering that's his main weakness.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
It's always just been weird to me that Superman would just be telling everyone what his powers even are. Like, yeah people can demonstrably see he's strong and bulletproof and can fly but what possesses him to sit down with Lois and be all "Oh yeah, I can see through walls, I can also hear everything in the entire world all the time, I know when you're awake , I know if you've been been bad or good."

I always just guessed it was like everyone somehow knowing he was vulnerable to kryptonite and everyone in the DC universe has just read the script.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Rohan Kishibe posted:

It's always just been weird to me that Superman would just be telling everyone what his powers even are. Like, yeah people can demonstrably see he's strong and bulletproof and can fly but what possesses him to sit down with Lois and be all "Oh yeah, I can see through walls, I can also hear everything in the entire world all the time, I know when you're awake , I know if you've been been bad or good."

I always just guessed it was like everyone somehow knowing he was vulnerable to kryptonite and everyone in the DC universe has just read the script.

This is Superman attempting to make people less afraid of him. Imagine that there is a real "superman". An alien being who came to this planet and spent the last 30 years pretending to be one of us. He's super strong, super fast and has enhanced senses. How enhanced? He can literally look through drat near anything, and can pick out minute sounds from the other side of the planet. He's also completely invulnerable (as far as anyone knows) to any means of conventional weaponry. Oh, and also, he can shoot heat rays out of his eyes and super cold breath out of his mouth.

Under any "normal" circumstance, that's a terrifying prospect. That's the basis for a horror story. Aliens coming to Earth, disguised as humans, but with powers and abilities far beyond our comprehension, and if they wanted to take over the world, literally nothing we could do would stop them. Yeah, I realize that I sound a bit like Lex Luthor here, but if you have no idea that Superman is a 100% good guy, he's scary as poo poo.

So, perhaps sensing this, Superman takes the initiative, and attempts to put a spin on his existence before someone like Luthor gets a chance to strike first.

As a show of good faith, he decides to share some limitations of his powers "Yeah, I can see through most anything, but that vision gets blocked by lead. I can hear things from around the world, but I choose to not listen in on private moments. I could lift an entire train over my head, but I don't because it tends to spook the passengers. Your puny Earth weapons cannot harm me, but why would you want to? I'm the good guy."

It's all about spin

As for the weakness to Kryptonite, I feel like that's a really poorly kept secret. Everyone in the Villain/Hero game knows that's the only practical way to stop a Kryptonian, but your average Joe running around Metropolis doesn't know that is even a thing. Maybe they know that one time they saw Superman in a fight and he seemed to get weak when he was around glowing green rocks, but that was hearsay.

CzarChasm fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jun 13, 2021

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

I also just want to point out again, that X-Rays are a real and every day thing in the world of Superman and also the real world, and X-Rays cannot see through lead. Are there in-depth psychological or meta-critical reasons that people are constantly using fire-extinguishing options on the Human Torch and whether or not he's ever admitted to the public that water will stop fire?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

CzarChasm posted:

This is Superman attempting to make people less afraid of him. Imagine that there is a real "superman". An alien being who came to this planet and spent the last 30 years pretending to be one of us. He's super strong, super fast and has enhanced senses. How enhanced? He can literally look through drat near anything, and can pick out minute sounds from the other side of the planet. He's also completely invulnerable (as far as anyone knows) to any means of conventional weaponry. Oh, and also, he can shoot heat rays out of his eyes and super cold breath out of his mouth

Okay sure that's maybe the way to rationalize it in universe but the real reason is that so that someone who has never read a superman comic can pick it up and know why he can do these things.