Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Skwirl posted:

That's just plain old gang stalking and has existed since long before the phrase "cancel culture" entered the popular discourse.

I've also never heard the term "cancel culture used to describe that behavior, either by victims or perpetrators of it, before. And I follow a decent number of women and LGBTQ+ people on twitter, so I've seen a lot of people talk about their personal experiences dealing with it.

A recent example is Lindsay Ellis getting canceled for racism after she said Raya was derivative of Avatar. Once people got mad about that specific comment, suddenly a whole record of every single potentially problematic thing she had ever said was produced, going back decades. Her video about the whole thing is really great. She addresses every single point people raised against her, and in doing so reveals how loving insane you would have to be to compile that list of slights from someone you've never even met.

I also follow a bunch of gay women on Twitter, and I've seen that sort of thing happen multiple times. Someone will make a joke that could be construed as somewhat out of line, and someone starts a whole tweet thread about how poster X is a problem, and people bring up some minor online kerfuffles from years ago which shows that poster X "has a pattern" of being a biphobic ace-erasing medicalist whatever.

Hell, I am not a fan of the McElroy Podcasting Corporation, but when they were rightly called out for advertising a loan shark people tried to tie in random events from the past when the weird one said something dumb about being straight or the great "is it racist to have a character named Taco who isn't Hispanic?" debate, all to prove that they are Bad People.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

That's just plain old gang stalking and has existed since long before the phrase "cancel culture" entered the popular discourse.

I've also never heard the term "cancel culture used to describe that behavior, either by victims or perpetrators of it, before. And I follow a decent number of women and LGBTQ+ people on twitter, so I've seen a lot of people talk about their personal experiences dealing with it.

I thought gang stalking was a thing people with actual paranoia think random folks around them are doing.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Maxwell Lord posted:

I thought gang stalking was a thing people with actual paranoia think random folks around them are doing.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Maxwell Lord posted:

Correct. The only one of these people who has legitimately been gang stalked is CWC.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

LesterGroans posted:

This was from the David Gordon Green movie, not one of Zombie's Halloweens.

Well, poo poo

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Gripweed posted:

A recent example is Lindsay Ellis getting canceled for racism after she said Raya was derivative of Avatar. Once people got mad about that specific comment, suddenly a whole record of every single potentially problematic thing she had ever said was produced, going back decades. Her video about the whole thing is really great. She addresses every single point people raised against her, and in doing so reveals how loving insane you would have to be to compile that list of slights from someone you've never even met.

I also follow a bunch of gay women on Twitter, and I've seen that sort of thing happen multiple times. Someone will make a joke that could be construed as somewhat out of line, and someone starts a whole tweet thread about how poster X is a problem, and people bring up some minor online kerfuffles from years ago which shows that poster X "has a pattern" of being a biphobic ace-erasing medicalist whatever.

Hell, I am not a fan of the McElroy Podcasting Corporation, but when they were rightly called out for advertising a loan shark people tried to tie in random events from the past when the weird one said something dumb about being straight or the great "is it racist to have a character named Taco who isn't Hispanic?" debate, all to prove that they are Bad People.

I don't think this is a form of bizarro cancelling so much as it's just incels and various other hateful chuds going after womz and minorities because they're awful hateful people with nothing else in their lives. But in fairness to you it kind of looks like some sort of bizarro cancelling because the tactics they're using resemble poo poo that actually gets people cancelled. Like that time a guy who brags about being a rapist tried to ruin James Gunn's career by digging up a decade yeah old tweet where he made some kind of edgelord joke.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Correct. The only one of these people who has legitimately been gang stalked is CWC.

Who is CWC?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

It's not just CHUDs, it's often a sort of toxic form of an online community policing it's own

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

CPL593H posted:

Who is CWC?

The Sonichu lady

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Gripweed posted:

It's not just CHUDs, it's often a sort of toxic form of an online community policing it's own

"Toxic online community" is quite the redundance. I'm just perpetually baffled that people willingly make the internet part of their personal life and will publicly identify themselves in such a way that they have absolutely no anonymity. Even for people that are already public figures social media has caused them a whole lot of trouble.

And I'm saying this as a person who is probably the most prolific poster in this thread.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
There were definitely some CHUDs joining in on the pile-on, because that's how they operate, they don't always start the poo poo though.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Maxwell Lord posted:

There were definitely some CHUDs joining in on the pile-on, because that's how they operate, they don't always start the poo poo though.

I guess what I'm saying there is that a lot of people need to just log off.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

CPL593H posted:

I guess what I'm saying there is that a lot of people need to just log off.

https://twitter.com/dril/status/247222360309121024?s=20

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Gripweed posted:

Young adult lit twitter comes up with these things, it's apparently a knife fight in a phone booth. And doesn't help that a lot of people are just trying to take out the competition. One author who got out of the whole thing is on the record saying "I've never seen social dynamics this hosed up, and I've been in prison." Also still pretty sure a lot of people are under the impression that if you cancel someone you gain their clout Highlander style.

But yeah, chuds just complaint it with literally any kind of consequence or disagreement online, because throwing tantrums at anything but blind obedience has been their stock in trade for decades, and it's worked pretty well for them.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Cancel is a useless term at this point, and a week ago I would have qualified that by saying "unless you are talking in terms of a tv show not getting a new season" but Donald Glover talked about how television was less interesting because people where afraid of getting cancelled, and a bunch of people thought he meant something about cancel culture when he just meant a tv show literally getting cancelled.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

CPL593H posted:

Who is CWC?

Have I got a 50+ hour Youtube documentary for you!

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
It's on imdb. Why is it on imdb?

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Coffee And Pie posted:

I can’t believe I even have to say this

Zeffirelli chose her to play Juliet when she was 15, so people better not be.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Coaaab posted:

It's on imdb. Why is it on imdb?

When will an IMDB update include the ability to never, ever show podcasts.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
but who is to say whether or not a "podcast" is a "movie"

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

feedmyleg posted:

but who is to say whether or not a "podcast" is a "movie"

Me.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

e1's movie episodes, like Air Dad MVP: Most Valuable Person: Pup, Pup, and Away!, are better movies than most movies

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Have I got a 50+ hour Youtube documentary for you!

I've got time. Hit me with that link.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Young adult lit twitter comes up with these things, it's apparently a knife fight in a phone booth. And doesn't help that a lot of people are just trying to take out the competition. One author who got out of the whole thing is on the record saying "I've never seen social dynamics this hosed up, and I've been in prison." Also still pretty sure a lot of people are under the impression that if you cancel someone you gain their clout Highlander style.

But yeah, chuds just complaint it with literally any kind of consequence or disagreement online, because throwing tantrums at anything but blind obedience has been their stock in trade for decades, and it's worked pretty well for them.

Honestly, Young Adult twitter/tumblr/tvtropes/goodreads culture wars would be an amazing concept for a good adult literary novel but any author would be driven insane by the necessary research.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

TrixRabbi posted:

Honestly, Young Adult twitter/tumblr/tvtropes/goodreads culture wars would be an amazing concept for a good adult literary novel but any author would be driven insane by the necessary research.

True Detective Season 4

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Zeffirelli chose her to play Juliet when she was 15, so people better not be.

Yeah, that's why I specified "in high school."

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

True Detective Season 4

He sees you(‘re Twitter timeline).

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

ruddiger posted:

He sees you(‘re Twitter timeline).

*you(r)

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Haha goddammit

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Does anyone know which author made the comment about the hosed up social dynamics in YA communities, or where the source quote is from. Honestly legit interested in reading more on this.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

TrixRabbi posted:

I've got time. Hit me with that link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgxj_0xPleg

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Blessed and Cursed, thank you

Also think I found the proper link for that YA drama story and the source quote through Google

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

True Detective Season 4

R: "Really hope she was wrong."

M: "About what?"

R: "About being cancelled. Not being the end of it."

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

I, Butthole posted:

This looks like it was filmed in the same location as One Cut of the Dead

I thought the same thing

I'm trying to figure out which of those full screen pans are invisible cuts.

I count three I think

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

DeimosRising posted:

I thought the same thing
I count three I think

I thought I saw two but either way they're hidden really well.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I don't have words to express how I feel about this. Just picture me turning into a red hot fireball of pure anger laying waste to the universe.

And yes, it's real.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Dang, someone accidentally got a bunch of orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, and violet on the sign

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I wonder what they do for mental health month

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

CPL593H posted:

I don't have words to express how I feel about this. Just picture me turning into a red hot fireball of pure anger laying waste to the universe.

And yes, it's real.

The flipside of this is that Reagan is probably turning in his grave.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

therattle posted:

The flipside of this is that Reagan is probably turning in his grave.

At the very least we can take comfort remembering that he's dead. Remember kids, no matter how bad things seem to be, at least Reagan is dead.

Thatcher, too.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Grendels Dad posted:

At the very least we can take comfort remembering that he's dead. Remember kids, no matter how bad things seem to be, at least Reagan is dead.

Thatcher, too.

And Rush. So many, but yet not enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I don't think this has been posted. Perhaps something good may eventually result. One can hope.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2021/jun/08/avast-and-furious-will-it-be-a-triumphant-return-for-master-and-commander