Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
i got 99 problems but bits ain't one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

99 problems but also the 100th problem is just cryptocurrency itself. It is a problem, a big big problem.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Lmao trump no like buttcoin

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Alan Smithee posted:

Lmao trump no like buttcoin

He's just jealous he couldn't come up with a better scam.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Ccs posted:

He's just jealous he couldn't come up with a better scam.
If he could still tweet it would start "Buttcoin, which I've never said..."

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

jokes posted:

99 problems but also the 100th problem is just cryptocurrency itself. It is a problem, a big big problem.

I increasingly think that crypto is just a living breathing metaphor, the kind you get when the contradictions of the system become impossible to reconcile or deny and juuust before the whole thing goes up in flames

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

https://twitter.com/SVR13/status/1401951423437365248

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

buttcoin

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

https://twitter.com/arstechnica/status/1402031624527679494?s=19

I guess bitcoin isn't an anonymous decentralized network outside the reach of governments and law enforcement after all :confused:

blunt fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jun 8, 2021

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

It’s be really funny if they just kept their millions in their exchange account and not a wallet that they actually control.

Alternatively they just got rubber hosed to give up the keys.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Doesn't the fact that the US gov't could get the private key kind of break bitcoin, not to mention all modern cryptography?

edit

Diva Cupcake posted:

Alternatively they just got rubber hosed to give up the keys.
Did they actually catch anyone yet?

InternetJunky fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jun 8, 2021

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die
No, the government didn't crack Bitcoin. I think it's safe to assume the Bitcoin was transferred to an exchange or some other platform which could be subpoenaed. Bitcoin is after all a public record and the number of places you can exchange Bitcoin for $2 million in cash is limited

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

you're the best poster in this thread

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
im going to stick knife up the rear end in a top hat ov everyone that buys a bitcoin im going to loving murder you

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
u are going to bleed to death out of your rear end

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Mimesweeper posted:

you're the best poster in this thread

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

im going to stick knife up the rear end in a top hat ov everyone that buys a bitcoin im going to loving murder you

but suddenly, a new contender

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loRA5XxACcw

m going to fuckin ruip yout skin off

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

Well, if that's what it takes to get a personal visit from HGB, I guess I'm a coiner now.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

im going to do something to everyone who buys a bitcoin. im going to pump their asses full of nitroglycerin and strap them to a paint mixer until they explode. blow their asses to kingdom come. theyll be scraping their giblets and entrails off the road for miles around. launch their big hosed up skulls into orbit mother fucker.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
:yikes:

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Andy Dufresne posted:

No, the government didn't crack Bitcoin. I think it's safe to assume the Bitcoin was transferred to an exchange or some other platform which could be subpoenaed. Bitcoin is after all a public record and the number of places you can exchange Bitcoin for $2 million in cash is limited

Seeing as the hack relied on exploiting a legacy VPN with a password that was never change and no 2FA enabled, I'm not surprised it ended with the Feds taking all the butts because they were stored on an exchange with a CA server (Coinbase?).

https://twitter.com/GeoffRBennett/status/1401993342620160002

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

EorayMel posted:

im going to do something to everyone who buys a bitcoin. im going to pump their asses full of nitroglycerin and strap them to a paint mixer until they explode. blow their asses to kingdom come. theyll be scraping their giblets and entrails off the road for miles around. launch their big hosed up skulls into orbit mother fucker.

drat dude ok that seems unnecessary

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
ive been putting bitcoins in my rear end since 2011 and shuffling them back out onto the blockchain. you've all been touching my asscoins

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

Bitcoin cultists are now claiming everything that makes bitcoin look bad is actually a psyop. They're saying the Colonial Pipeline ransomware was a false flag created to discredit bitcoin.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

Bitcoin cultists are now claiming everything that makes bitcoin look bad is actually a psyop. They're saying the Colonial Pipeline ransomware was a false flag created to discredit bitcoin.

Well, of course! Why on earth would someone conduct a ransomware attack and demand payment in Bitcoins? It's not like ransomware attacks have relied on Bitcoin for years now or anything.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

buttcoin lol

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
butt

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I met a traveller from an antique land,
Who said—“Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
Stand in the desert. . . . Near them, on the sand,
Half sunk a shattered visage lies, whose frown,
And wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command,
Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
The hand that mocked them, and the heart that fed;
And on the pedestal, these words appear:
My name is Bitcoin, King of Currencies;
Look on my Gains, ye Mighty, and despair!
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal Wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.”

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die
Butt is down 8% in the last 24 hours again, for the dude who said we care too much about the price of butt. This has been a long, slow, sad burn. It's like nobody even cares anymore

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Mimesweeper posted:

ive been putting bitcoins in my rear end since 2011 and shuffling them back out onto the blockchain. you've all been touching my asscoins

https://smile.amazon.com/Theres-Bitcoin-My-Butt-Handsome-ebook/dp/B073NF2Z9G

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o

golden bubble posted:

Seeing as the hack relied on exploiting a legacy VPN with a password that was never change and no 2FA enabled, I'm not surprised it ended with the Feds taking all the butts because they were stored on an exchange with a CA server (Coinbase?).

https://twitter.com/GeoffRBennett/status/1401993342620160002

I promise you Coinbase does not keep millions of dollars in Bitcoin in a hot wallet sitting in a warehouse somewhere. Would definitely be interested in more details of the hack back here but not expecting to get them anytime soon.

Looks like Cali is just where this was filed since the Bitcoin obviously doesn't have a physical location and this is just some standard paperwork for asset forfeiture.

novamute fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jun 8, 2021

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Andy Dufresne posted:

Butt is down 8% in the last 24 hours again, for the dude who said we care too much about the price of butt. This has been a long, slow, sad burn. It's like nobody even cares anymore

FBI seized some butts from a ransomware attack, which is one of the main sources of "institutional investment".

Apparently, the market thinks this, unlike most things, is bad for bitcoin

drk fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jun 8, 2021

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

If your coins are on an exchange they're not your coins, they're the exchange's coins and you own the IOU.

IDK anything about nothin tho.

Here's the address in question. https://live.blockcypher.com/btc/address/bc1qq2euq8pw950klpjcawuy4uj39ym43hs6cfsegq/

nomad2020 fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jun 8, 2021

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

novamute posted:

I promise you Coinbase does not keep millions of dollars in Bitcoin in a hot wallet sitting in a warehouse somewhere. Would definitely be interested in more details of the hack back here but not expecting to get them anytime soon.

Don't be stupid. At the scale that coinbase deals in, they absolutely have millions of dollars in butts in their primary hot wallet. You can't avoid that -- an exchange's hot wallet has to be able to cover the deposits & withdrawals. And that hot wallet is live on their server, somewhere.

(Doubt that coinbase was involved at all, the ransomware operators would be complete morons to send any butts to a US-based exchange and especially not coinbase.)

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Sell pressure is probably only going to get worse as bits coined inch closer to being declared climate terrorism and seized en masse.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
I've cashed out all my bits and put them into butts.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

snorch posted:

I've cashed out all my bits and put them into butts.
I think you misunderstood "suitcasing".

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

When the COVID pandemic starts to wane, butts will be a good investment. After a year of lockdown, everyone's gonna want dat butt.

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o

Klyith posted:

Don't be stupid. At the scale that coinbase deals in, they absolutely have millions of dollars in butts in their primary hot wallet. You can't avoid that -- an exchange's hot wallet has to be able to cover the deposits & withdrawals. And that hot wallet is live on their server, somewhere.

Don't be stupid yourself. Withdrawals aren't instantaneous and funds only need to be hot long enough to sign a transaction. No serious exchange keeps any amount of funds at rest in a hot wallet or even in a wallet that used to be hot. There's plenty of public info about Coinbase's key management specifically if you want to educate yourself.
https://blog.coinbase.com/production-threshold-signing-service-b16017c09661

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh Don Piano
Nov 4, 2009
SHITGROIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!