Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’ve been really happy with my berghoff induction burner but it doesn’t have probes or anything like that. It does have some kind of temperature setting thing but I’ve never used it so I don’t know what it does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Man, I tried the duxtop but at any setting above 4 it makes a high pitched whine that killed me ears

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Man, I tried the duxtop but at any setting above 4 it makes a high pitched whine that killed me ears

Did it do that with all your pans? I have one small pot that does that on my induction burner, possibly due to a warped base.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Did it do that with all your pans? I have one small pot that does that on my induction burner, possibly due to a warped base.

Yeah I tried three different ones and then my dad's burner too. Maybe it's just the design

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Were they laminated layers, like all-clad? One review I saw said that was the culprit.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

BrianBoitano posted:

Were they laminated layers, like all-clad? One review I saw said that was the culprit.

Standard stainless steel pans.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Has anyone bought a tramontina enameled cast iron dutch oven in the past year or so? They had really good reviews before but they discontinued the existing models and a bunch of reviews on the newer ones make it sound like they've cheaped out in various ways (like they're way thinner now).

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

That’s an intentional feature to chase young people out of your kitchen

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Standard stainless steel pans.

‘standard’ stainless steel cookware is definitely laminated or encapsulated, which is the same thing

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Steve Yun posted:

That’s an intentional feature to chase young people out of your kitchen

It's true. My kid won't be in the room when my Duxtop is running.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

This is why you must listen to podcasts or music very loud when cooking.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Does anyone have experience with the polyscience control freak? It fascinates me. It's not something I have money for right now at all, but if i'm someday in the market for a range, maybe i could shunt some of my budget into one.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
https://twitter.com/katsukitomohiro/status/1398594590693748738

drat this home stovetop looks great

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
I don't think it should be quite that easy to connect the gas...

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Does anyone have experience with the polyscience control freak? It fascinates me. It's not something I have money for right now at all, but if i'm someday in the market for a range, maybe i could shunt some of my budget into one.

I’ve got one, it’s great but it makes a hell of a racket between its fans and metal pans making odd noises. Works as advertised though, really great for lazy cooking and making effortless things that involve precision temperature. It’s been the ultimate piece of my tamogayaki puzzle.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

welcome 2 china

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

NomNomNom posted:

I don't think it should be quite that easy to connect the gas...

And was it just hanging out leaking everywhere before she attached it to the stove?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Sorry if this is a weird tangent but that thing reminds me of something I haven't thought about in a year or two.

I worked in a Chinese diner (in Canada) as one of my first legal jobs in high school, I was a dishwasher (everyone should have this experience) but right beside me in the kitchen were three cast iron woks that sat recessed in a stainless steel counter with three corresponding circular holes. The insane jet burners were under the counter, but the one on the far left would periodically somehow lose spark if it wasn't in use at full blast, and would leak natural gas/propane/who knows into the closed space under the counter. When that gas reached the flame of one of the other two wok pilot lights the resulting ignition would pop all three woks momentarily up a few inches and sometimes knock the flame out of the other two, so it was my job whenever it happened to open the cabinets and check if they had flame and then to try to communicate this to the other staff who didn't share a language with me and would generally just indicate that I shouldn't worry so much about things.

I went on later in life to work a lot of jobs such as operating a lathe/mill, doing general construction, etc, and to date that kitchen job is the one that was most likely to have ended me at any moment. The business no longer exists and I often wonder what the rest of the staff got up to. Oh yeah I made $6/hr and this was in the early 00s.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Slimy Hog posted:

And was it just hanging out leaking everywhere before she attached it to the stove?

I'm going to hope there was some kind of spring loaded valve in the connector that opens when you've screwed it on enough to be safe.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Murgos posted:

I'm going to hope there was some kind of spring loaded valve in the connector that opens when you've screwed it on enough to be safe.

Or they turned the gas on at the main/wall/wherever when they made the cut in the video.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

The Midniter posted:

Not sure if it means they'll be introducing a Mk. 5 soon or something, but Thermapen Mk. 4 are currently on sale at thermoworks.com for $69, all colors.
I jumped on this, despite not cooking a lot of meat. It just so happens that it was delivered yesterday just in time for a small grilling get together I had for my father's birthday today.

Worked like a champ on my marinaded chicken.

Thanks!

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

BrianBoitano posted:

Best single burner, 120v induction hot plate under $300? Preferred something with some brains (and a probe?) for hotpot and fry oil temperature control.

Duxtop seems popular but that could just be good marketing.

This is for cooking on the patio. I'm going to do an Ooni 16 for pizza and broiling veggies, induction for everything else. I'm looking forward to smokey sears and messy frying outside!

Ugh now I am falling for the NuWave Gold infomercial hype. Anyone have direct experience? I can't find a serious cook's review anywhere. I like the look of it for the larger range of temperature and the ability to simmer longer than 90 minutes, as I don't have any other slow cooker.

Also best infrared thermometer that goes to 1000°F for that pizza oven? I'm aware that emissivity and reflectivity impact readings.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Recommendations for an immersion blender that comes with a chopping bowl attachment and isn't made out of cheap plastic? The plastic nubs on ours wore out. I don't mind paying a little extra so long as it is reliable.

It'll be used as an all-purpose blender, albeit mostly for smoothing out soup and grinding up spices/ginger/dried shiitake etc.

E: Ideally we would also have a proper blender but there isn't space in our tiny kitchen for more.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
bamix isn’t a bad option though i just use a kitchenaid (it can’t do a smooth smoothie, say, for reference, though).

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Good to hear, I was just looking at a Bamix and thought it was encouraging that they also sold replacement parts. Don't think we've ever made a smoothie but wait for my post next year when I decide I need new toys for just that.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

yahoo new grill time

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 31 hours!
Ultra Carp
Welcome to the... SIZZLE ZONE :supaburn:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

that's where i live

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

mediaphage posted:

yahoo new grill time

I don't think that catalog will taste very good grilled. You gotta slow cook then to let the flavor come out.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Dammit my wife likes the look of a 22 cu ft fridge better than the 26 cu ft which also fits the space. The bigger one is $750 cheaper :negative:

Also bump on these two?

BrianBoitano posted:

Ugh now I am falling for the NuWave Gold infomercial hype. Anyone have direct experience?

Also best infrared thermometer that goes to 1000°F for that pizza oven? I'm aware that emissivity and reflectivity impact readings.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Are there decent 240v 2 burner induction cooktops? I'm probably going to move into an apartment with an electric stove and I dont want to use it. This way I could take advantage of the 240v plug that's already there instead of using the one other (?) 120v circuit. Duxtop only makes 120v as far as I can tell.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Happiness Commando posted:

Are there decent 240v 2 burner induction cooktops? I'm probably going to move into an apartment with an electric stove and I dont want to use it. This way I could take advantage of the 240v plug that's already there instead of using the one other (?) 120v circuit. Duxtop only makes 120v as far as I can tell.

with the understanding that you won’t get to use the oven without flipping the breaker and plugging it back in

you should be able to find some commercial induction units that fit the bill. or even just one good one and then a 110v consumer plate since it’s not that likely imo that you’re gonna need two units at once at such full power.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

I typically cook with either cast iron or nonstick pans, but just bought a stainless steel one for the first time.

On my first use, I immediately got these stains all over the surface that I can’t get out. I had cooked some shrimp on medium heat that had a marinade with tequila and lime in it, would the alcohol or acid ruin the finish like that?

I’ve tried cleaning with baking soda and it doesn’t seem to help.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Looks like minerals deposits. Maybe from the tequila or something in the marinade. Try wiping it down with white vinegar.

Fart Car '97 fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jun 8, 2021

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Barkeepers Friend will remove it with a little elbow grease. Don’t be afraid to use an abrasive scouring pad on Stainless.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Dacap posted:

I typically cook with either cast iron or nonstick pans, but just bought a stainless steel one for the first time.

On my first use, I immediately got these stains all over the surface that I can’t get out. I had cooked some shrimp on medium heat that had a marinade with tequila and lime in it, would the alcohol or acid ruin the finish like that?

I’ve tried cleaning with baking soda and it doesn’t seem to help.

Bar Keepers Friend is the answer, but I'll suggest the alternative of just making the same thing like six more times to even it out, then just live with it.

Like if having sparkly pans is a quality of life thing for you, cool, not trying to talk you out of it. Just making the point that it's perfectly normal for stainless to (despite the name) get discoloured over time and it isn't a moral failing or whatever to not scrub them spotless every time you cook.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

If those don't work, I recommend a dishwasher detergent soak

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Bar Keeper's Friend for sure, that poo poo is magic.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

One of the things to try is to put baking soda on it and then put a small amount of water in as well. Then you boil off all the water until it leaves a film of baking soda on the surface. When you scrub off the baking soda, that does a really good job of taking the stains out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

BrianBoitano posted:

If those don't work, I recommend a dishwasher detergent soak

if it’s mineral deposits, barkeepers friend for sure (i mean this will work either way)

if it’s cooking residues i definitely recommend a soak with unscented sodium percarbonate (oxiclean)