Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I really really hope the DeWalt DWS780 goes on sale somewhere for Father’s Day (or Prime Day), although I know it probably won’t.

… but if by some miracle it does, then someone please post a link to it in this thread. I want one so bad.

The normal price is $599 and I think the lowest I’ve seen outside an occasional eBay listing is like $521.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

It's probably not most father's day deals are posted. And prime day is full of poo poo like save 20 cents on a lightbulb and fidget toy combo.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

tater_salad posted:

It's probably not most father's day deals are posted. And prime day is full of poo poo like save 20 cents on a lightbulb and fidget toy combo.
Have they been posted already? Google just brings me to a home depot page saying "stay tuned for father's day sales"

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy
What’s a good paint sprayer for like a deck and shed? I use solid stain (aka paint) for the deck. Tired of hand brushing the deck and railing spindles. Even if it doesn’t last as long I’m willing to just do it more often.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

I’ve got a Kobalt 21 inch 80v and couldn’t be happier with it. My lawn is tiny tho and even the 2 and 2.5 mah batteries that I have for it will mow it 4+ times.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Slugworth posted:

Have they been posted already? Google just brings me to a home depot page saying "stay tuned for father's day sales"

Maybe not all I assume that this close to fathers day you're not going to see much of a sale on anything anymore, you'll see maybe 1 more push of instore stuff this sunday. I highly doubt I.m.geis spesificly requested miter saw is hitting a sale.

So the Vibe form the thread is.
Ryobi, Kobalt, Ego are all decent mowers / ecosystems for outdoor power tools and one should pick whichever is available to them, and has the tools they want.

For Ryobi.. is there a difference in the "normal" 40v vs the HP/High performance 40v. I think someone's trying to get me something for fathers day but I dunno if the brushless trimmer Which comes with HP battery I think (later attaching a tiller for smaller garden) should go brushless for the 70 dollar price increase.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Jun 8, 2021

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

I. M. Gei posted:

I really really hope the DeWalt DWS780 goes on sale somewhere for Father’s Day (or Prime Day), although I know it probably won’t.

… but if by some miracle it does, then someone please post a link to it in this thread. I want one so bad.

The normal price is $599 and I think the lowest I’ve seen outside an occasional eBay listing is like $521.

If you just buy the 779, you can pretend you got the 780 for $200 off. From what I understand the biggest difference is just the light for the cut line.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

They won't listen to logic.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Just received a Voltclaw tool which I saw on a YouTube video and immediately fell in love with. Haven't had a chance to use it yet but it feels great and will save me so many cuts and curses working with outlets and j boxes.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01G4CM96K/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_4VXE52YV0DBZDXPJ73C0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Cool a tool I never knew I needed.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Another one I'm still waiting on is this Wiha Xeno screwdriver. It's basically designed to perfectly fit outlet screws for maximum torquing.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LXHJQ7G/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_A3507CKZV2B1XMDJMSXD

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

I have a VoltClaw Multi-Gauge in my bag. It's useful for working in boxes, and drat useful for when you have no choice but to do something live*, because some lazy installer couldn't put a disconnect on the panel.

*Edit: 120v max, anything higher It gets shut off.

MRC48B fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jun 8, 2021

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

tater_salad posted:

Maybe not all I assume that this close to fathers day you're not going to see much of a sale on anything anymore, you'll see maybe 1 more push of instore stuff this sunday. I highly doubt I.m.geis spesificly requested miter saw is hitting a sale.

I can't speak for other retailers but Home Depot's Father's Day sales are most certainly not posted yet. I also haven't seen flyers from Aldi with their stuff yet, they always do tools that week.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

There is 100% a Canadian Home Depot Father's Day flyer on their site right now.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Uncle Enzo posted:

I can't speak for other retailers but Home Depot's Father's Day sales are most certainly not posted yet. I also haven't seen flyers from Aldi with their stuff yet, they always do tools that week.

I thought Aldi was a grocery? Is it more like a Walmart? There's one near me but I've never been.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Tyro posted:

I thought Aldi was a grocery? Is it more like a Walmart? There's one near me but I've never been.

Mostly, yes, but they also sell weird stuff. A decade ago, they had some crazy deals on prebuilt PCs. 3D printers were a thing for a while...

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum
I don't know how much localization Home Depots website does but they don't even show the Ryobi days or other memorial day sales when I look. I had thought maybe they weren't doing it where I live, outside CONUS, but when I went to go pick up something I discovered big displays showing deals their website didn't show.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Well if anyone notices any sales having to do with Ryobi 40v batteries, I'd appreciate a heads up. New yard's too big for my Ryobi mower to finish in one charge, and those batteries are stupid expensive.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Elem7 posted:

I don't know how much localization Home Depots website does but they don't even show the Ryobi days or other memorial day sales when I look. I had thought maybe they weren't doing it where I live, outside CONUS, but when I went to go pick up something I discovered big displays showing deals their website didn't show.

Do you have a "Weekly Flyer" tab?

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum

CommonShore posted:

Do you have a "Weekly Flyer" tab?

Yep, and the local ad doesn't show, for instance, the Ryobi battery kit + free tool or the Milwaukee deal that I saw big displays in the store for.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

uwaeve posted:

What’s a good paint sprayer for like a deck and shed? I use solid stain (aka paint) for the deck. Tired of hand brushing the deck and railing spindles. Even if it doesn’t last as long I’m willing to just do it more often.

This did my furniture fine with Valspar semi-transparent outdoor stain. There's a whole bunch of cheap ones in that range. Regular latex paint will have to be thinned with these types. There are more expensive and larger ones that will do latex without thinning.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08THKLXKL/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_PFD0639JCPHEK4WRTBX9?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Amazon has the Sun Joe SPX3000 pressure washer for $120 right now on their Treasure Truck thing:

https://www.amazon.com/ttgo

This thing any good?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Amazon has the Sun Joe SPX3000 pressure washer for $120 right now on their Treasure Truck thing:

https://www.amazon.com/ttgo

This thing any good?

I've had one for about 4 years. It's fine for washing your car, washing your outdoor furniture, cleaning your grill, etc. It will take a very long time to clean concrete, but it works.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Bunch of Ego stuff on one day sale at Lowes today

https://www.lowes.com/pl/Online-Only-Deals-Wednesday/2865355154

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

FCKGW posted:

Bunch of Ego stuff on one day sale at Lowes today

https://www.lowes.com/pl/Online-Only-Deals-Wednesday/2865355154

Oh for gently caress sake. I really wanted an Ego mower but am flying cross country tomorrow. :argh:

2130SP doesn’t come with a battery. Fuckers.

e: Wowwwwww, the 7.5Ah battery is $350 separately. Good grief.

e2: Here’s the only 2 that are on sale and come with a battery:

POWER+ 56-Volt Brushless 20-in Push Cordless Electric Lawn Mower 5 Ah (Battery and Charger Included)
https://www.lowes.com/pd/EGO-20-IN-BL-PUSH-MOWER-STEEL-DECK/1003130760

POWER+ 56-Volt Brushless 20-in Self-propelled Cordless Electric Lawn Mower 7.5 Ah (Battery and Charger Included)
https://www.lowes.com/pd/EGO-20-IN-BL-SELF-PROP-MOWR-STEEL-DCK/1003130762

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jun 9, 2021

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
I have a detached garage that's in terrible shape. I just got done tearing the interior down to the studs, including all of the ceiling panels that were hiding rat poop as though it had been blown in like insulation. Now I'm reckoning with the exterior, I'm thinking that since I'm gonna redo all the siding I'd to use it as an excuse to go all in on an air compressor. My garage is about 10x19, I'm never going to park a car in it and would like to turn it into a workshop.

I'm going to be running a nail gun and I'd like to be able to run a paint sprayer to paint all the new siding, I'd also like to be able to run an impact wrench to work on my car. I just don't know a lot about air compressors, I've only ever used electric tools. I have some home depot gift cards and I'd like to be able to use them if I can. I've been looking at the following compressors:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-20-Gal-200-PSI-Oil-Free-Portable-Vertical-Electric-Air-Compressor-C202H/312074157

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-27-Gal-200-PSI-Oil-Free-Portable-Vertical-Electric-Air-Compressor-C271H/312074154

If I go with the cheaper one, am I going to regret it? Am I totally off base looking at electric compressors? Are either of these really enough to run a paint sprayer?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

e: Whoops, moved to woodworking thread.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jun 13, 2021

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Stalizard posted:

I have a detached garage that's in terrible shape. I just got done tearing the interior down to the studs, including all of the ceiling panels that were hiding rat poop as though it had been blown in like insulation. Now I'm reckoning with the exterior, I'm thinking that since I'm gonna redo all the siding I'd to use it as an excuse to go all in on an air compressor. My garage is about 10x19, I'm never going to park a car in it and would like to turn it into a workshop.

I'm going to be running a nail gun and I'd like to be able to run a paint sprayer to paint all the new siding, I'd also like to be able to run an impact wrench to work on my car. I just don't know a lot about air compressors, I've only ever used electric tools. I have some home depot gift cards and I'd like to be able to use them if I can. I've been looking at the following compressors:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-20-Gal-200-PSI-Oil-Free-Portable-Vertical-Electric-Air-Compressor-C202H/312074157

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-27-Gal-200-PSI-Oil-Free-Portable-Vertical-Electric-Air-Compressor-C271H/312074154

If I go with the cheaper one, am I going to regret it? Am I totally off base looking at electric compressors? Are either of these really enough to run a paint sprayer?

I'm phone posting from the pub so this might not be as comprehensive as if I were not on the piss and had an actual keyboard.
Not 100@% sure about spray guns, but for impacts and air ratchets, 20 gallons is about the minimum tank size you want. This based on a bit of reading I did several years ago when my boss was considering a compressor for our shop at work. You should look at the cfm for the impact you have or are planning to buy and get a compressor that had a little bit more than that cfm wise.
I'macts usually have two cfm ratings. One at like 40-50 psi and another about 90-100ish psi.
Also, I've always heard that oil free compressors are inferior to oiled. But maybe That's in a professional setting where it's being used constantly.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Stalizard posted:

For nail guns, you're fine either way. For spraying paint, the bigger one will barely suffice. For a single job like that I think you can get by, but it may be quicker to roller it on, if I'm being honest.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Mr. Mambold posted:

For nail guns, you're fine either way. For spraying paint, the bigger one will barely suffice. For a single job like that I think you can get by, but it may be quicker to roller it on, if I'm being honest.

Painting siding is not an air sprayer job anyway, so forget about that use case. It's fine for the rest. Then buy an airless sprayer for the siding.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Motronic posted:

Painting siding is not an air sprayer job anyway, so forget about that use case. It's fine for the rest. Then buy an airless sprayer for the siding.

I'm with you on doing it right, but I assumed he's on a budget and might probably will never need an airless again. Which he might be able to rent, ftm.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
Regarding drill presses:

Does this seem like a reasonably good deal? Apparently Orbit was basically the same as Jet back in the day:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/408493896888045/

Danhenge fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jun 13, 2021

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Oh for gently caress sake. I really wanted an Ego mower but am flying cross country tomorrow. :argh:

2130SP doesn’t come with a battery. Fuckers.

e: Wowwwwww, the 7.5Ah battery is $350 separately. Good grief.

e2: Here’s the only 2 that are on sale and come with a battery:

POWER+ 56-Volt Brushless 20-in Push Cordless Electric Lawn Mower 5 Ah (Battery and Charger Included)
https://www.lowes.com/pd/EGO-20-IN-BL-PUSH-MOWER-STEEL-DECK/1003130760

POWER+ 56-Volt Brushless 20-in Self-propelled Cordless Electric Lawn Mower 7.5 Ah (Battery and Charger Included)
https://www.lowes.com/pd/EGO-20-IN-BL-SELF-PROP-MOWR-STEEL-DCK/1003130762

Their mowers have been sale pretty frequently, I would worry about it. It’s the other lawn tools that aren’t on sale as often.

And yeah, their batteries are expensive as gently caress. That’s why I went with Ego mower but Milwaukee for the other lawn tools.

Captain Organ
Sep 9, 2004
cooter. snooper.

SpartanIvy posted:

Another one I'm still waiting on is this Wiha Xeno screwdriver. It's basically designed to perfectly fit outlet screws for maximum torquing.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LXHJQ7G/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_A3507CKZV2B1XMDJMSXD

Milwaukee makes an insulated screwdriver set that includes one of these (they call it an ECX bit). $20 at Home Depot for short ECX and #2 Phillips and a long 1/4 flat driver. I never used the ECX until I redid all the outlets at my house, but I liked it pretty good for that. I've been switching over to Milwaukee hand tools as I wear things out, they've been generally pretty good and easy to find. the Wiha will almost certainly be nicer, though.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Captain Organ posted:

Milwaukee makes an insulated screwdriver set that includes one of these (they call it an ECX bit). $20 at Home Depot for short ECX and #2 Phillips and a long 1/4 flat driver. I never used the ECX until I redid all the outlets at my house, but I liked it pretty good for that. I've been switching over to Milwaukee hand tools as I wear things out, they've been generally pretty good and easy to find. the Wiha will almost certainly be nicer, though.

Oh my god, they even make a version of their 11-in-1 screwdriver with them. That's my go-to screwdriver so I might have to pick that up. If I can swap out the robertson bit for a torx bit it will be my perfect screwdriver.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-11-in-1-Multi-Tip-Screwdriver-with-ECX-Driver-Bits-48-22-2760/302174842

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

So, dumb question: can you use a paint brush for quite different things? Like, I'm going to be painting interior walls, but also want to stain a solid wood countertop to turn into a desk. As long as I clean the brush well, could I use it for all of these things?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Johnny Truant posted:

So, dumb question: can you use a paint brush for quite different things? Like, I'm going to be painting interior walls, but also want to stain a solid wood countertop to turn into a desk. As long as I clean the brush well, could I use it for all of these things?

Yeah just make sure you are not dipping the brush into your stain or paint can. Pour out what you plan to use into a separate container and you won't risk contaminating the entire supply.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Johnny Truant posted:

Yes, but. Cleaning a brush that well is really pretty hard, and a little leftover white pigment in your stain or brown dye in your white paint is going to make you pretty sad you didn't spend $20 on a different new brush. Not to mention that the brush that's good for holding and smoothing out a bunch of really thick, water based latex paint probably isn't the brush you want for spreading really thin, oil based stain. Old t-shirt rags are really the best thing for staining anyway.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Yeah, I'd just wipe the stain on with a rag. It's cheaper than a second brush, it doesn't risk cross contamination, and it works better for the purpose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

All great advice, thanks! :tipshat: