Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Oh, that is a bit worse then, haha. Still a fair bit better than your 1060 (around 50 to 100% better framerates according to some benchmarks), but nowhere near worth that price. The non-ti 3060 is about equivalent to a regular 2070.

The 3060 is close to about as good as a 1070ti.

The 3060ti is somewhere between a 1080 and a 1080ti.

The 3070 originally was the 'value card' at msrp 500 bucks for a beefy amount of performance difference that's only slightly worse than a 2080ti, but it's gone up in price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Overclocking is when you increase the clocks on the CPU/GPU. In order for a given clock speed to be stable, it will need a certain amount of voltage. But the higher the voltage, the higher the temperature, and the more cooling is needed. The trick is, through trial and error, find the highest clock you can manage, with the lowest voltage possible, for the cooling that you have available.

Undervolting is when you reduce the voltage on the CPU/GPU, so that it runs cooler. Again, in order for a given clock speed to be stable, it will need a certain amount of voltage. The trick is, through trial and error, find the lowest voltage you manage that will still keep your clocks stable. You can also outright reduce the clock speed as well, so that you can (ideally) take the voltage even lower.

The amount of voltage needed for a given clock speed is going to vary from chip to chip (silicon quality), so while there are some broad expectations of what might be possible, there's no one correct answer for everything.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

To expand, sometimes a voltage/freq point will appear to be stable in most applications, and then won't be in one.

It took me a few weeks of adjusting before I found a curve that I consisted "dialed in," and even so it's possible I'm not playing the right games to expose instability.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Spacedad posted:

The 3070 originally was the 'value card' at msrp 500 bucks for a beefy amount of performance difference that's only slightly worse than a 2080ti, but it's gone up in price.

3060 Ti is between a 2080 Super and 2080 Ti. The 2080 Super is a bit better than a 1080 Ti.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

yeah I tried using some recommended undervolt values on my 3080 and it would crash immediately. my card was running at a higher voltage than other people's out of the box though, so I was still able to find a stable config 100mv under that

TwoDeer
Jan 13, 2005

I found my way to this guide which is a different approach than essentially picking a specific clock speed and targeting a particular voltage and I've ultimately settled on the technique outlined in the youtube video but the link was a good tutorial in using Afterburner:

https://hardforum.com/threads/rtx-3000-series-undervolt-discussion.2003050/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqpfYTi43TE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUkPAVcb9Xc

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

VorpalFish posted:

It took me a few weeks of adjusting before I found a curve that I consisted "dialed in," and even so it's possible I'm not playing the right games to expose instability.

BF5 was the one game that hated my undervolting values despite being far from the most resource intensive.

Shipon posted:

i don't know what people are talking about when they say undervolting doesn't affect things. i've definitely seen drops in temperature from doing it but every time i do it even when i use the "conservative" estimates of what a stable undervolt is i still occasionally see blue screens

am i just doing it wrong? or maybe everyone else is more tolerant of the occasional blue-screen

There’s also some silicon lottery component to this where you might have a chip that absolutely must run at the rated voltage. Id also just try out your own conservative estimates are (vs the internet) and see what you can achieve. You might have to do a very sight underclock which I used on my 3070 to get a larger undervolt. The only reason why I undervolt things out of the box is because I’m in a 8 liter ITX case.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Fellatio del Toro posted:

yeah I tried using some recommended undervolt values on my 3080 and it would crash immediately. my card was running at a higher voltage than other people's out of the box though, so I was still able to find a stable config 100mv under that

If it is any consolation, I wound up just sticking to 0.9V. All these weird underclock guides from enthusiast sites and techtubers were using like 0.826V and other, equally insane values, so I started at 0.840V and worked up in 0.05V increments for a while with no success. Gave up, went to 0.9V where it has been super stable since October. The card hasn't topped 246W since and I lost negligible frames.

mysteryberto
Apr 25, 2006
IIAM
Is replacing the thermal pads on a 3090 FE important? I see GPU temperatures of 66 degrees max when gaming. If I run OCCT stress test I see 70C on the GPU and 98C on the GPU memory junction.

I have no interest at all in mining just gaming.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

e: ^^lol look at that timing! i was typin this out before i saw your post...

I've determined that my crashes in PoE with a 3090 are due to rear memory temps, not tripping the powersupply OCP like i thought. I got some fancy new thermal pads I'm going to swap to specifically for the rear and see if it helps. Really only seems to be PoE thats a problem.

For as fast as the 3090 FTW3 is, i think it is riding the voltages and temps just too hard for its own good, and it seems basically all the AIB partners are just letting the rear memory cook at TjMax forever. Glad I paid for the 10 year warranty...

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I also have the 3090 FTW3 WhateverTheFuck Edition, and just turning on the default custom fan curve in MSI Afterburner (Settings, Fan, check the check box) dropped my light-load temps by 20 degrees (!!!), so maybe just try fiddling with the fan stuff, at least in the short term. I'm gonna run this while I order a few more case fans because yeesh.

mutata fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jun 8, 2021

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Spacedad posted:

3060ti is better than a 1080ti by about 10 - 15% in most games according to the techspot benchmarks (which I'm using due to how comprehensive they are. I can't vouch for accuracy. they don't provide methodology or the specs for their testing machine)

RVT
Nov 5, 2003

BOOTY-ADE posted:

I never understood the product stacks & why there are so loving many types of cards, it's getting crazy. Like, what ever happened to having 3-4 cards in a lineup that went from low end up to enthusiast?

Basically the same reason Starbucks has a bunch of different types and sizes and options for coffee. In a company's ideal world, there would be no prices listed, and each customer would come in and say "I would like a coffee please," the store would ask "what is the max you are willing to spend on that coffee?" The customer would tell them, and that would be what they would charge that person.

Obviously, that's not going to happen. So the solution is to offer as many options up and down the price points, so that for every customer, you have an option that is within their budget and can make a sale, while still capturing more money from those that come in with budgets on the higher end.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Regrettable posted:

3060 Ti is between a 2080 Super and 2080 Ti. The 2080 Super is a bit better than a 1080 Ti.

Yeah that sounds about right. I forgot that the 1080/1080ti test averages often involve years of crazy OC's.

I'm hoping the 3070ti I'm aiming to get OC's to something close to 3080 FE stock performance.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

These companies' marketing departments also have psychologists on staff to invent ways of tricking people into spending more.

For instance, you go to the coffee place and they have three sizes: small for 2 dollars, medium for 4 dollars and large for 5 dollars. The medium is a decoy that no one is expected to buy. It is deliberately priced close to the large so that the large looks like a better deal, pushing people to shrug and spend a little more so that they don't feel ripped off.

Sure is weird how the 3080Ti is nearly as expensive as the 3090 despite being only slightly better than the 3080, huh

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

RVT posted:

Basically the same reason Starbucks has a bunch of different types and sizes and options for coffee. In a company's ideal world, there would be no prices listed, and each customer would come in and say "I would like a coffee please," the store would ask "what is the max you are willing to spend on that coffee?" The customer would tell them, and that would be what they would charge that person.

Obviously, that's not going to happen. So the solution is to offer as many options up and down the price points, so that for every customer, you have an option that is within their budget and can make a sale, while still capturing more money from those that come in with budgets on the higher end.

Yeah a lot of this gets into :guillotine: marketing theory, and sometimes too many choices are bad because people don't know what the gently caress to buy and just keep what they have. Just look in the parts picking thread and see that there are regularly people not knowing what they should get because marketing has come up with a shitload of nonsense that isn't intuitive.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

Sure is weird how the 3080Ti is nearly as expensive as the 3090 despite being only slightly better than the 3080, huh

From the benchmarks I've seen, it performs very close to a 3090 in games; it doesn't however, perform as well in productivity/content-creation apps.

When I say it 'performs close to a 3090 in games' that isn't saying much though, because the 3090 doesn't perform very much better than the 3080 in games.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Sagebrush posted:

This is only true if you still think the 3080 is a $700-800 GPU. It's not. The 3080 Ti at current street prices is likely a bit overpriced for what it offers, but you're probably not overpaying any more than you usually do stepping up the stack.

mysteryberto
Apr 25, 2006
IIAM

Cygni posted:

e: ^^lol look at that timing! i was typin this out before i saw your post...

I've determined that my crashes in PoE with a 3090 are due to rear memory temps, not tripping the powersupply OCP like i thought. I got some fancy new thermal pads I'm going to swap to specifically for the rear and see if it helps. Really only seems to be PoE thats a problem.

For as fast as the 3090 FTW3 is, i think it is riding the voltages and temps just too hard for its own good, and it seems basically all the AIB partners are just letting the rear memory cook at TjMax forever. Glad I paid for the 10 year warranty...

I was having a bad crashing problem when I switched from a 3080 to a 3090. I think I was just on the edge of my older 760 watt Seasonic PSU. It would power off the PC after gaming for a while. I was reading a similar experience someone had and if they started Cyberpunk 2077 and then alt tabbed it would fail almost 100% of the time. I was able to recreate this exact scenario with same results. After installing a new 850W (All the good brand 1000W were out of stock) PSU the problem went away entirely.

Lurikeenrock
May 19, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sagebrush posted:

These companies' marketing departments also have psychologists on staff to invent ways of tricking people into spending more.

For instance, you go to the coffee place and they have three sizes: small for 2 dollars, medium for 4 dollars and large for 5 dollars. The medium is a decoy that no one is expected to buy. It is deliberately priced close to the large so that the large looks like a better deal, pushing people to shrug and spend a little more so that they don't feel ripped off.

now imagine if they didnt have any coffee in stock and you had to buy it from a scalper waiting outside the shop. A lot of people desperate for coffee would buy that medium when the alternative is nothing or a large priced small from the scalper.

FENCH DIGGITY
Oct 23, 2010

hee-ho, fuccboi
any word on the 3090 step up queue? I got in kinda late after people were mentioning it in here (signed up 5/22) and haven't heard anything from EVGA yet. uploaded my invoice and stuff already.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

There are people on the EVGA forums and I think reddit tracking where the step-up queues are at. Also, I would not be surprised if the 3080 Ti release put some sort of hiccup into the schedule, although it's almost certain that the 3090 is the higher-margin product and thus ultimately nvidia and EVGA's priority.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

FENCH DIGGITY posted:

any word on the 3090 step up queue? I got in kinda late after people were mentioning it in here (signed up 5/22) and haven't heard anything from EVGA yet. uploaded my invoice and stuff already.

FWIW, I signed up for the 3090 step-up on 5/13 and just got my Step 2 email yesterday.

FENCH DIGGITY
Oct 23, 2010

hee-ho, fuccboi
thanks, sounds like i've got some waiting left to do then. wonder how many people signed up during may, it seems like the word really got around about the short 3090 queue. still can't believe i purchased a trash GPU as a ticket to wait in line to spend 1800 dollars on another GPU (more than i've ever spent on an entire PC build). very cool!

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

FENCH DIGGITY posted:

thanks, sounds like i've got some waiting left to do then. wonder how many people signed up during may, it seems like the word really got around about the short 3090 queue. still can't believe i purchased a trash GPU as a ticket to wait in line to spend 1800 dollars on another GPU (more than i've ever spent on an entire PC build). very cool!

Heh, they at least subtract the price of the trash GPU, so really you'd be paying $1850 without it!

FENCH DIGGITY
Oct 23, 2010

hee-ho, fuccboi
that is true, i feel very blessed :tipshat: i'll at least give EVGA credit for being the least bad out of all the 3rd party card makers, they're trying not to totally screw you. i added on the 10yr warranty so my hope is that even though it costs a small fortune i can get some free upgrades/sidegrades along the way if/when the card dies.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I suspect I might just as well ask a magic 8 ball, but is there any accepted wisdom at what point the market will calm down again? If there wasn't a problem with chip supply I would expect that demand and prices would settle down by 2022. But at this rate I'm crossing my fingers that my current rig is very long lived.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Some time between now and humankind going extinct, maybe

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I find it interesting that reading this thread makes me feel a bit of an urge to upgrade my GPU even thought I don't need to, and got really lucky with my timing of buying a card last year. I objectively don't need a card, but reading this thread regularly makes me want a card, just a little.

If I feel that, I wonder how many people out there have a stronger urge despite not really needing a card and that is also driving up demand.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

It's far more likely that people actually DO need GPUs, since there was a lot of hesitation to buy GPUs for two years, followed by very desirable GPUs that you can't buy for 9 months. Doesn't help that this also coincides with most people having more disposable income and free time and needing to fill it with indoors activities, along with things like WFH stipends getting funneled into upgrading to higher res/higher refresh monitors etc. It's a fuckfest and anyone who says they can predict when things will improve is full of poo poo.

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
In 2020 I decided that I will finally get off of console gaming instead of buying the new gen, because it looked like almost all of the games I would want to play get PC versions anyway, and my old fingers can't seem to operate thumbsticks that well anymore.

Hahahahaha.....

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

FENCH DIGGITY posted:

Turnover on getting a 3090 through step-up is usually a few days. Miners don't buy really buy those - just scalpers, workstation peepz who need the horsepower, and desperate gamers.

If you haven't heard anything back, check your spambox, and also contact EVGA customer support. (They are very responsive btw.)

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I got an EVGA 3080 hybrid coming, don't really need it but figure it'll be a minor upgrade and I don't think it'll be a problem for me to sell a lightly used MSI 3080 Trio judging by the used market.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

infraboy posted:

I got an EVGA 3080 hybrid coming, don't really need it but figure it'll be a minor upgrade and I don't think it'll be a problem for me to sell a lightly used MSI 3080 Trio judging by the used market.

Well if you wanna do a goon a solid, I really need one for Blender animation work. :pray:

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
i can honestly report i haven't played a game that relies on an RTX feature or really, any game but apex since buying this card. the reflex is nice. i got while the getting was good and i evaluated i didn't think i'd have access to an MSRP 3070 for a long, long time if i didn't act.

maybe cyberpunk will have a good game patched in and i'll give that a go, at the continuous price freefall it's been on cdkeys and the like going as low as £15 i kind of doubt it has happened yet!

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

I'm planning on going mostly RTX-off for gaming I do when I get my GPU. The RTX will be mainly used for Blender realtime viewport stuff.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

mysteryberto posted:

I was having a bad crashing problem when I switched from a 3080 to a 3090. I think I was just on the edge of my older 760 watt Seasonic PSU. It would power off the PC after gaming for a while. I was reading a similar experience someone had and if they started Cyberpunk 2077 and then alt tabbed it would fail almost 100% of the time. I was able to recreate this exact scenario with same results. After installing a new 850W (All the good brand 1000W were out of stock) PSU the problem went away entirely.
It seems to mostly be a Path of Exile problem I think. I replaced the rear thermal pads today, and while it absolutely seems to be moving heat to the backplate faster... the backplate can only do so much. With X1 running with PoE, I watched the temps climb until the backplate was straight up too hot to touch (likely 80C+), and then the card expectedly started thermal throttling. Maxing the fans does keep it within spec it seems though, guess I'll just have to live with the noise.

Weird that an old game like PoE (albeit at 1440p/144hz) seems to be the most intense utilization of a 3090 that I've found yet, ha. I'm also gonna try swapping to the Vulkan renderer and see if that helps the temps at all.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Cygni posted:

Weird that an old game like PoE (albeit at 1440p/144hz) seems to be the most intense utilization of a 3090 that I've found yet, ha. I'm also gonna try swapping to the Vulkan renderer and see if that helps the temps at all.

PoE doesn't usually push any modern GPU to 100% very often, it usually is way more stressful on your CPU, the fact that this is happening to you is somewhat strange. The only time I noticed ultra high GPU usage in PoE was when I had vsync disabled on the menu screen and it would run at way too high of framerate.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

infraboy posted:

congratz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!

mysteryberto posted:

Is replacing the thermal pads on a 3090 FE important? I see GPU temperatures of 66 degrees max when gaming. If I run OCCT stress test I see 70C on the GPU and 98C on the GPU memory junction.

I have no interest at all in mining just gaming.

FWIW, I followed cryptoathome’s YouTube videos after buying the pads and tools recommended by him, and my 3090 FEs dropped from 108 to 90-94 VRAM temp while they run NiceHash at high. At lower levels and in games, the number plummets even further.

It’s scary to think about and you really should not have to DIY at this price (MSRP or aftermarket) but the nVidia pads really are trash, and it’s actually a perfect fix. If I can do it, anyone can. Just watch the video twice before then leave it running when doing the surgery.