Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arrowsmith
Feb 6, 2006

SAGANISTA!

Dignity Van Houten posted:

I have an LG CX coming tomorrow but the PS5 is still MIA. Do the onboard apps (netflix, hulu, amazon streaming) support 4K HDR streaming (I'll be hardwired to ethernet)? Or do I need to buy a roku or something until the PS5 is available?

Keep in mind the CX's Ethernet port is limited to 100 mbps. This probably won't matter, at least initially for stuff that's relatively compressed like streaming services but if you ever want to do something like run a Plex server with high-bitrate remux content you could run into issues there.

And if 120fps HDR content becomes a thing, well, someone else here could probably give a better guess as to how that might bump up to the limits of a 100 mbps connection.

I just use a dedicated device with a gigabit port (Apple TV 4K, but there are probably others that will do the job) so I can avoid that bottleneck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Funny, I was reading about the guy on the last page with the TCL6 using all kinds of bandwidth lately, so I was excited to get home after being away for the weekend and check mine. Not a thing coming from the TV, which was odd because my brother, who was here doing electrical work on our renos yesterday, and our neighbor both said the TV had come on on its own while we were gone.

The Shield, however, had almost 4 gigs of outgoing traffic. I'm not sure what the default timespan that the traffic monitor reports on in EdgeOS but its a bit weird either way. Of course, theres no legit way to get a browser on the Shield so I downloaded the chrome APK off of apkmirror, which gf last used on Friday to watch something, and thats what was still on the screen. EdgeOS reports it was all webtraffic mostly. I do have a bluetooth keyboard that sometimes triggers and turns on the Shield which in turn via CEC turns on everything else but I dont think that was the culprit.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Arrowsmith posted:

Keep in mind the CX's Ethernet port is limited to 100 mbps. This probably won't matter, at least initially for stuff that's relatively compressed like streaming services but if you ever want to do something like run a Plex server with high-bitrate remux content you could run into issues there.

And if 120fps HDR content becomes a thing, well, someone else here could probably give a better guess as to how that might bump up to the limits of a 100 mbps connection.

I just use a dedicated device with a gigabit port (Apple TV 4K, but there are probably others that will do the job) so I can avoid that bottleneck.

This is wild to me given that gigabit has been the defacto port standard for most stuff for drat near a decade at this point and it couldn’t really be any less expensive to source that over what they put in.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It's likely less component cost and more not wanting to field support calls when the TV fails to negotiate properly with the ancient 100mbps hub that someone has buried behind their tv.

Needing more then 100mbps of bandwidth on a smart tv is such a niche use case I can't really fault them.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Why even use ethernet at that point? I get 250-300 Mbps on wifi all day long.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Plenty of people prefer the reliability of wires, it's one less thing to troubleshoot when things go wrong. Which is why I am annoyed there is no Roku with ethernet in the UK, even though my roku sits on top of the WiFi.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

“I’m using wired networking” is a great way to skip like 5 dumb questions on a support call.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I got the wired adaptor for my new Google chromecast even though I have pretty reliable internet and a unifi AP about 30ft away.

I'd rather just not have to deal with the fluctuations and weirdness that I run into with wireless setups when I know the copper will work everytime.

justlikedunkirk
Dec 24, 2006
Is there a consensus TV pick if you can't do OLED? Let's say the budget is around mid to higher tier, but you can't do OLED because the people using the TV always have it on stuff like CNN.

I notice there's a consensus in the thread of LG/OLED on the high end and TCL for the budget range. What brands would be next best alternatives to OLED? So far I'm leaning on Sony.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Somy's are good but drat expensive.

Aside from running CNN, what are you looking for it to do? Movies, streaming, games?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

justlikedunkirk posted:

Is there a consensus TV pick if you can't do OLED? Let's say the budget is around mid to higher tier, but you can't do OLED because the people using the TV always have it on stuff like CNN.

I notice there's a consensus in the thread of LG/OLED on the high end and TCL for the budget range. What brands would be next best alternatives to OLED? So far I'm leaning on Sony.
Sony 900 series yeah.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I went with the TCL 6 series instead of the Sony mainly on the back of the variable refresh rate which may or may not matter to you depending on whether you game or whatever

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Other than the size, will I notice much going from a 65" C7 to a 77" C1? No games are more than 60fps so the 120hz probably doesn't matter yet right? I guess the VRR when below 60 should still make things smoother.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

KingKapalone posted:

Other than the size, will I notice much going from a 65" C7 to a 77" C1?
I think I recall one other poster lamenting how the later OLED models lost support for 3D, so there's that. Then as you note the newer ones gain 4K120Hz + VRR support. Older ones had 1080p120 support, I don't recall how far back.

Otherwise I think the panels themselves are pretty similar until the new one that's on the G1 and possibly panel lottery on the C1 and it was mostly upgrades to the internal processors.

quote:

No games are more than 60fps so the 120hz probably doesn't matter yet right? I guess the VRR when below 60 should still make things smoother.
This list claims to have been updated recently.
https://www.techradar.com/news/ps5-and-xbox-series-x-games-with-120fps-support

Lots of choices on the Xbox side of the fence if you have a "series" model, not so much for PS5.

Of course if you happen to have a fast enough PC connected to your TV everything supports 120 Hz unless the game devs went out of their way to lock it to something lower.

And yes, VRR support makes gaming significantly smoother any time you can't maintain that perfect locked rate. If you play games regularly on your TV and have the source devices to make use of it, VRR will be a very significant feature.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

KingKapalone posted:

Other than the size, will I notice much going from a 65" C7 to a 77" C1? No games are more than 60fps so the 120hz probably doesn't matter yet right? I guess the VRR when below 60 should still make things smoother.

VRR right now is supported on PC and Xbox, there are a few 60+ fps games on console and a great many on PC.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
On the off-chance anyone actually cares:

https://www.androidpolice.com/2021/06/07/stadia-is-finally-coming-to-android-tv-this-month/

quote:

Here's the full list of devices that'll be fully supported out of the gate:

Chromecast with Google TV
Hisense Android Smart TVs (U7G, U8G, U9G)
Nvidia Shield TV
Nvidia Shield TV Pro
Onn FHD Streaming Stick and UHD Streaming Device
Philips 8215, 8505, and OLED 935/805 Series Android TVs
Xiaomi MIBOX3 and MIBOX4

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Ouya

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Is it sad that I still have mine AND my Boxee Box? Just sitting in a container, never to be used again.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
Holy poo poo, Boxee Box. I forgot about that.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Number one seller in Video Games on Amazon.ca for over a year! :eng101:

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

serebralassazin posted:

Holy poo poo, Boxee Box. I forgot about that.

OH man I loved that little thing. I still like the design and wish people would play with product design more in that space.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I don't. Sure it looks neat in product photos, but I want my AV equipment to disappear into the background.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

bull3964 posted:

I don't. Sure it looks neat in product photos, but I want my AV equipment to disappear into the background.

Ha when I posted that, I literally thought to myself "Bull is going to be the first poster to mention wanting his stuff to be invisible."

I should have put that in spoilers!

Anyway it's definitely personal preference. While I don't want something as garish as the PS5 out in the open, the boxee box had just enough quirkiness to be fun and invite questions - but also wasn't garish and basically became invisible after a day or so.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

If we could actually have one steamer to rule them all and it was the only thing connected, then that wouldn't be so bad.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

bull3964 posted:

If we could actually have one steamer to rule them all and it was the only thing connected, then that wouldn't be so bad.

Without trying to start a console streaming war, now that the Shield TV has Apple+, it pretty much has all the streaming services that I can think of. I still have my 2015 and 2017 versions and they just keep on updating.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Hulu is basically unusable on it so that's one major strike.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Silly Burrito posted:

Without trying to start a console streaming war, now that the Shield TV has Apple+, it pretty much has all the streaming services that I can think of. I still have my 2015 and 2017 versions and they just keep on updating.

Let me know if Apple+ shows default to subtitles on for you, cause it does for me on my Hisense.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

BonoMan posted:

Anyway it's definitely personal preference. While I don't want something as garish as the PS5 out in the open, the boxee box had just enough quirkiness to be fun and invite questions - but also wasn't garish and basically became invisible after a day or so.
I feel like there are three main camps when it comes to the appearance of A/V equipment.

Those of who have an A/V rack of some variety with a lot of equipment tend to prefer hardware that fits that aesthetic. Monochromatic cuboids, generally wider than they are deep and deeper than they are tall, with the ports mostly on the back and the controls mostly on the front. I am definitely in this camp, I want my setup to look clean and high-end overall but I don't want individual equipment to draw attention to itself unless I'm messing with it specifically. We're there to watch the movie or listen to the music, not to ogle the equipment. Audiophiles excluded of course.

Those who don't have an A/V rack split two ways.

I have friends who physically take their game consoles out of a cabinet and set them in front of the TV when they play, so they like having something that looks cool when they're using it. A top-loading disc drive or weird shape doesn't really matter to them. This seems to be the thought behind a lot of Japanese game console designs.

The rest don't want to see it at all, they wish it wasn't there, and anything that makes it easier to hide or get rid of is good. They love TV sticks.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It is a sin upon mankind that apple doesn't let you turn off the drat led on their device.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

bull3964 posted:

Hulu is basically unusable on it so that's one major strike.

Hulu Live or regular Hulu? Because we use regular Hulu all the time and haven't noticed anything different. I don't have Live though.

Mister Facetious posted:

Let me know if Apple+ shows default to subtitles on for you, cause it does for me on my Hisense.

I'll check this the next time I fire it up. I usually prefer subtitles so I wouldn't have noticed if you hadn't mentioned it.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

bull3964 posted:

The Cleveland one

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

wolrah posted:

I feel like there are three main camps when it comes to the appearance of A/V equipment.

Those of who have an A/V rack of some variety with a lot of equipment tend to prefer hardware that fits that aesthetic. Monochromatic cuboids, generally wider than they are deep and deeper than they are tall, with the ports mostly on the back and the controls mostly on the front. I am definitely in this camp, I want my setup to look clean and high-end overall but I don't want individual equipment to draw attention to itself unless I'm messing with it specifically. We're there to watch the movie or listen to the music, not to ogle the equipment. Audiophiles excluded of course.

Those who don't have an A/V rack split two ways.

I have friends who physically take their game consoles out of a cabinet and set them in front of the TV when they play, so they like having something that looks cool when they're using it. A top-loading disc drive or weird shape doesn't really matter to them. This seems to be the thought behind a lot of Japanese game console designs.

The rest don't want to see it at all, they wish it wasn't there, and anything that makes it easier to hide or get rid of is good. They love TV sticks.

I don't typically prefer my living rooms to be very sterile so I'm totally ok with a box having some design to it. When the lights are off and you're watching BR 2049, you won't see it or be bothered by it. But when they're on and the TV's off, I'd like for it to reflect my style and not just all be tucked away.

Much in the same way cities get local artists to do things like custom paint every traffic signal switch/boxes... I'd totally be down with some fun and artistic design options for things. Designs inspired by architecture, art, etc.

Unfortunately the tech world's idea of anything custom or fun is stupid loving CG art and RGB non-sense on everything. The taste in this industry is *so bad.*

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

The Cleveland one

drat right.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Silly Burrito posted:

Hulu Live or regular Hulu? Because we use regular Hulu all the time and haven't noticed anything different. I don't have Live though.

Regular Hulu. Switch output to 24fps (well 23.976) and let me know if your audio is even within 5 seconds of the action on the screen.

Works at 60p, but that's not optimal.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
I got a lot of what, frame pacing? trouble with Hulu on a 2019 Shield, every I dunno 10 or 20 seconds there'd be this little jitter like it skipped a frame - haven't tried it with that frame matching beta option though.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

bull3964 posted:

It is a sin upon mankind that apple doesn't let you turn off the drat led on their device.

At least it's a small, subtle white LED light and not some blue monstrosity.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Silly Burrito posted:

I'll check this the next time I fire it up. I usually prefer subtitles so I wouldn't have noticed if you hadn't mentioned it.

Yeah it bothers the crap out of me because despite not even having the option to turn them on or off in iOS except when playing, it doesn't happen at all on my phone.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Weird, I haven't noticed any problems with Hulu on my Shield TV.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

No, I'm pretty sure it's specific to the Apple TV app, because none of the other services have the problem, and nothing in my TV is configured in such a way as to influence subtitles being on by default. :-/
It even affects my iTunes movie purchases.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jun 8, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Internet Explorer posted:

Weird, I haven't noticed any problems with Hulu on my Shield TV.

Again, you have to be forcing 24fps to see the issue that I am. Happens both on the Shield and Google TV so it must be an issue in the Hulu app for the whole platform.