Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Midnight Voyager posted:

This isn't a mod in and of itself, it's a modder named Temnix. I just came across this on Gibberlings 3, a modding site for the Baldur's Gate/IWD games. He has some Opinions apparently on what makes someone a modder. And... other things, my eyes really slide off this many words.

No one wears dungarees anymore! :bahgawd:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Midnight Voyager posted:

Not me. Pillars of Eternity forum was teeming with them. I remember a guy just losing his loving mind about the moral fiber of Today's Kids because someone went "Hey, it would be nice if we could change our party composition in the main city in general instead of having to find an inn."
Don't get me started on the groggier end of the Shin Megami Tensei fandom, who think that being able to choose what skills your not-Pokemon inherit in fusion and the ability to save anywhere wreck the game balance.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Commander Keene posted:

Don't get me started on the groggier end of the Shin Megami Tensei fandom, who think that being able to choose what skills your not-Pokemon inherit in fusion and the ability to save anywhere wreck the game balance.

Mashing in and out of the fusion menu until you get the result you want was definitely what made Persona 3 and 4 good and not having to do that in Persona 5 definitely ruined the game completely.

:rolleyes:

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Midnight Voyager posted:

This isn't a mod in and of itself, it's a modder named Temnix. I just came across this on Gibberlings 3, a modding site for the Baldur's Gate/IWD games. He has some Opinions apparently on what makes someone a modder. And... other things, my eyes really slide off this many words.

This guy is incredibly tiring and all of his mods serve to add immense tedium to the game. I wish he’d stop

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Midnight Voyager posted:

Not me. Pillars of Eternity forum was teeming with them. I remember a guy just losing his loving mind about the moral fiber of Today's Kids because someone went "Hey, it would be nice if we could change our party composition in the main city in general instead of having to find an inn."
We had plenty of them the PoE thread here on SA. There were dudes who blew a fuse over the inclusion of party AI in Deadfire..

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's always funnier when they melt down over an optional setting.

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDYVhsCueHA

lurker2006 fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Jun 8, 2021

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Ghostlight posted:

Command & Conquer: Tiberian Dawn is an objectively better game than Command & Conquer Remastered because it asks players to insert the CD, establishing a vital hook to the outside dimension, while C&CR is wholly self-contained, an abomination of modernity.

It's hauntology to install the old C&C games now, like how the save icon is probably difficult to recognise if you don't know what a floppy disk is.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Quash your conveniences! A truly good RTS has adjacent-only construction and sandbag-inchworming around to put guard towers next to your base, no construction queue of any kind, all purchases bodged together in a single beast of a menu, no new-unit waypoints, lovely pathfinding, weird unit balance, terribly-acted video cutscenes...

It was a great game though

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Angry Diplomat posted:

Quash your conveniences! A truly good RTS has adjacent-only construction and sandbag-inchworming around to put guard towers next to your base, no construction queue of any kind, all purchases bodged together in a single beast of a menu, no new-unit waypoints, lovely pathfinding, weird unit balance, terribly-acted video cutscenes...

That last one isn't a downside imo

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Angry Diplomat posted:

Don't forget an AI that doesn't know how to handle said sandbags.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Cernunnos posted:

Truly the one thing untouched by capitalism. Tim Curry.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Cernunnos posted:

Every second Kane is on screen is a treasure i will not hear such slander against Joseph Kucan, the only actor Westwood could afford to hire. Also I like how literally all the other people were just dudes already working in the office pulling double duty, it adds mid 90s charm.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
It looks like other modders/players on G3 found that guy's thread and are just tearing it to shreds.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Midnight Voyager posted:

It looks like other modders/players on G3 found that guy's thread and are just tearing it to shreds.

I'm glad we can imagine it. This new style of posting where people post links or excerpts of the things they're talking about is ruining posting. Back in my day we all just pretended we knew what others were talking about and goddamn it that was better!

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

I have always wondered what was the original source of this gif, what salty rear end in a top hat created it, and did it only become infamous because of the wildstar dev?

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
It's an old College Humor video and it doesn't look like they uploaded it on their own channel on Youtube. There's plenty of reuploads though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XV64ZSs6W3k

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

I get the feeling Termnix’s favorite game must be Elite: Dangerous.

I don’t even remember Wildstar but if that was the dev’s reaction to being asked about conveniences, I guess that’s not a surprise. Where and when was that gif posted, anyways?

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Quicksilver6 posted:

I don’t even remember Wildstar but if that was the dev’s reaction to being asked about conveniences, I guess that’s not a surprise. Where and when was that gif posted, anyways?

It was posted to the official subreddit after the world first raid boss kill, after several rounds of patches making the fight not a buggy mess.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Quicksilver6 posted:

Iirc it was in response to people complaining about how hard the game was and how much work you needed to put in to do high end content since the game was only for HARDCORE PLAYERS who were tired of WoW catering to FILTHY CASUALS.

To give you an idea. This is the process you had to go through to get started raiding. Not the raid itself just getting the ability to do a raid. You had to do this for every character since the attunement was tied to the character, not the account.

Also there was a bug that would make this impossible to finish and the devs response was to just make a new character and start over.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Don't forget that the raid devs would literally follow guilds into the raids to watch their winning strategies, and then buff the boss to make their strategy impossible.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Agents are GO! posted:

I'm glad we can imagine it. This new style of posting where people post links or excerpts of the things they're talking about is ruining posting. Back in my day we all just pretended we knew what others were talking about and goddamn it that was better!

I am used to threads where it is discouraged to post direct links to slapfights. You can just ask if you want a link.

Most of them are just gently caress Yous, but I did notice someone with a name I really love:

Bigby's Bitchslap posted:

Baldur's Gate: temnix Dehanced Edition when? I hope it's even more bullshit than Wizardry IV.

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jun 9, 2021

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Don Gato posted:

Iirc it was in response to people complaining about how hard the game was and how much work you needed to put in to do high end content since the game was only for HARDCORE PLAYERS who were tired of WoW catering to FILTHY CASUALS.

Oh it was worse

It was because people killed a super bullshit hard dungeon boss after it was nerfed a bit. It was neigh impossible to kill, and when one raid got close, a dev hosed around with it during the fight specifically to keep people from winning. It's the most sour-grapes DM-antagonizing-the-party thing I've seen in video games.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Rainbow Knight posted:

Oh it was worse

It was because people killed a super bullshit hard dungeon boss after it was nerfed a bit. It was neigh impossible to kill, and when one raid got close, a dev hosed around with it during the fight specifically to keep people from winning. It's the most sour-grapes DM-antagonizing-the-party thing I've seen in video games.

I need to know more about this :allears:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Rainbow Knight posted:

Oh it was worse

It was also literally mathematically impossible to kill when first released.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Was that the one where a GM just started healing the boss midfight?

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
I joke about game devs hating me when I'm playing a hard game but like, Wildstar devs did actively hate their own playerbase it was wild.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
How have there been multiple MMOs with Absolute Virtue scenarios? :psyduck:

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Cernunnos posted:

How have there been multiple MMOs with Absolute Virtue scenarios? :psyduck:

Power has a tendency to bring out whatever latent psychological problems people have, even the most trivial authority over some meaningless virtual fiefdom.

Which probably has some connection with the tendency for game modding communities to generate epic meltdowns over the most laughably-inconsequential poo poo.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.

Cythereal posted:

It was also literally mathematically impossible to kill when first released.

Wasn't that C'thun in WoW? Or did Wildstar just also do that?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Vanguard Warden posted:

Wildstar, IIRC, was formed by former Blizzard folks, and yes I believe it was true of both.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Vanguard Warden posted:

C'Thun at least was on accident, and they nerfed him after the aptly named guild Elitist Jerks showed the math that proved you literally couldn't beat him even under perfect circumstances.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
wildstar is what you get when all those people who insist people who play videogames these days are too soft and have nostalgia for grinding the same five mobs for weeks a decade ago get together to make a mmo

or rather it was because it folded in less than five years

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Don Gato posted:

C'Thun at least was on accident, and they nerfed him after the aptly named guild Elitist Jerks showed the math that proved you literally couldn't beat him even under perfect circumstances.

Yeah WoW never intentionally designed their raids to be unbeatable to my knowledge, it's just that in the early days their internal testing on raid content was not great and a lot of their first drafts at dungeons ended up being way harder than they intended.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

flatluigi posted:

wildstar is what you get when all those people who insist people who play videogames these days are too soft and have nostalgia for grinding the same five mobs for weeks a decade ago get together to make a mmo

or rather it was because it folded in less than five years

And had to go free to play after just a year.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yeah WoW never intentionally designed their raids to be unbeatable to my knowledge, it's just that in the early days their internal testing on raid content was not great and a lot of their first drafts at dungeons ended up being way harder than they intended.

Also many of the mechanics and skills were poorly understood even by the devs, if not outright broken or simply nonfunctional. There's a reason why WoW Classic stuff went down quickly.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

So apparently there some drama in the Doom modding community where some edgelord put out a mod where you among other things kill zombie holocaust victims and when people complained he doubled down and then took down the biggest repository of DooM modding assets.

https://twitter.com/DominicTarason/status/1402485736755056642

mod thread where people start bringing up the issues with the mod:

https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/71736-wolfenstein-blade-of-agony-achievement-ideas-p13/?page=13 Starts at the latter half of page 13 and continues until the modder gets banned at the end.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Hel posted:

So apparently there some drama in the Doom modding community where some edgelord put out a mod where you among other things kill zombie holocaust victims and when people complained he doubled down and then took down the biggest repository of DooM modding assets.

https://twitter.com/DominicTarason/status/1402485736755056642

mod thread where people start bringing up the issues with the mod:

https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/71736-wolfenstein-blade-of-agony-achievement-ideas-p13/?page=13 Starts at the latter half of page 13 and continues until the modder gets banned at the end.

holy loving poo poo

quote:

-There's a character in the game who's a "tribute" to Randi Heit, a prominent transwoman in the Doom community who created ZDoom. In the process, she is deadnamed and misgendered. The character named after her is also a shitfaced drunk who jokes about his huge dong. Other tribute characters fared no better, to be fair -- the guy named after Enjay is an emaciated prisoner making GBS threads in a concentration camp outhouse. I can only pray Torm never sees fit to homage me.

Edit: oh god there's even worse poo poo later on in the thread, seriously, what the loving hell?

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jun 9, 2021

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Kurui Reiten posted:

I need to know more about this :allears:

i wish it was easy to find threads about it, but most of the old drama was on reddit. and reddit (being reddit) combined with wildstar players (being wildstar players) ended up with a lot of critical comments and threads and stuff being removed. i remember seeing the video of the raid though, and the boss started healing at low health for no reason, and everyone just kind of threw their hands up and died.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Somebody please find and try this mod. There's apparently a Dark Souls 3 version too.