Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Antifa Poltergeist posted:

My oldest either watches bluey or sesame street reruns and I'm like " well thats parenting sorted out then".
Also I'm not an advocate of smart devices for kids but the Khan academy kids app is goddamn wholesome and great and actually is teaching my kid to speak English which, mind blown.

Both those shows are great so I wouldn’t complain to much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Antifa Poltergeist posted:

My oldest either watches bluey or sesame street reruns and I'm like " well thats parenting sorted out then".
Also I'm not an advocate of smart devices for kids but the Khan academy kids app is goddamn wholesome and great and actually is teaching my kid to speak English which, mind blown.

Khan academy is what we use when my oldest doesn't want to "work out" with me. She loves it and reads along with the stories now.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Greg Legg posted:

I had a student who liked Sid the Science Kid. Sid's mom looks wall eyed and it's really freaky. I don't like the dance sequences.

I can proudly announce that my three year old not only has a favorite simpson's episode (Lisa's First Word), but he's able to quote from it. I am so happy..

my kids always laugh their asses off when they watch bart flush homer's wallet and keys down the toilet, and that makes me a bit nervous ngl

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005

U-DO Burger posted:

my kids always laugh their asses off when they watch bart flush homer's wallet and keys down the toilet, and that makes me a bit nervous ngl

I posted it a few pages back but my oldest (3) took the keys to my work car (that also had an entry fob) because she wanted to "go to the store for chips" and it took me over two weeks to find them (bottom of the diaper bag)

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

B-Rock452 posted:

I posted it a few pages back but my oldest (3) took the keys to my work car (that also had an entry fob) because she wanted to "go to the store for chips" and it took me over two weeks to find them (bottom of the diaper bag)

Two weeks of putting every box and bag in the house into the car and trying to start it.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

PerniciousKnid posted:

Two weeks of putting every box and bag in the house into the car and trying to start it.

buy these and stick them on all your keys and remote control's and you'll save yourself countless hours worth of aggravation and flipping over couch cushions

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

First time trying solid food this week and she loves it, just destroyed a little rear end bowl of oatmeal

She also tossed the spoon on the ground and earlier in the day straight up took a massive poo poo on my clothes

I love this little giggling, wailing dirtbag :3:

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Good soup! posted:

First time trying solid food this week and she loves it, just destroyed a little rear end bowl of oatmeal

She also tossed the spoon on the ground and earlier in the day straight up took a massive poo poo on my clothes

I love this little giggling, wailing dirtbag :3:

Lol, I've been peed and vomited on, but I've managed to avoid poo poo. Scooped turds out of baths though.

Getting to solids is great, unfortunately it also means you start getting real poo now, which is less great.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Elissimpark posted:

Lol, I've been peed and vomited on, but I've managed to avoid poo poo. Scooped turds out of baths though.

Getting to solids is great, unfortunately it also means you start getting real poo now, which is less great.

You'll be surprised what passes through a baby's digestive tract seemingly intact.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005

The Nastier Nate posted:

buy these and stick them on all your keys and remote control's and you'll save yourself countless hours worth of aggravation and flipping over couch cushions

I bought those on day two of my missing keys. They are super handy

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I know it's a big joke about kids being gross and they piss and poo poo and vomit everywhere but I don't think I ever got any directly on me.

I've definitely had one of mine start peeing while on his back for a diaper change but it just went back on their belly. lol idiots.

also neither of my kids have ever thrown up aside from car sickness. my one kid who gets car sick reliably now has a whole routine where he barfs into a special bag we got with a big wide plastic ring at the top. he's a pro at it now.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
if i go back far enough in my photo roll there are many pictures of me pointing at cleaned up baby spit up or whatever so I can go back later that night and do a spot clean with kid/dog safe rug/carpet cleaner.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
babies mean you up the number of fluids on your clothes before you feel like you need to immediately change, from one to at least two

new babies let you discover just where on the hierarchy your personal needs (like having to pee) really are

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

I know it's a big joke about kids being gross and they piss and poo poo and vomit everywhere but I don't think I ever got any directly on me.

A couple weeks ago I took my son (6 yo) to baseball and about 20 minutes in to the hour he runs off the field and to me and says he has to go to potty. Now everything is still closed cause of covid so theres no place nearby we can go, so i walk him over to a large secluded bush and i tell him "ok hurry up"

so he pulls down his pants and underwear and bends over and i just flip the gently caress out yelling "woah woah what are you doing!!?!" "but i have to poop!" "no no no no, i thought you just had to pee, you hold it till we're done and we'll go to Target afterwards" which thankfully he was able to do

that was one of many "wtf" moments I experienced as a parent, just as a thing I had no loving clue could happen, and that i had to explain to him please dont take a poo poo in a public park, even if no one is directly watching you

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Another Bill posted:

You think getting a kid to sleep through the night feels good, I let my older kid babysit the younger one for the first time last weekend while mom and I went to the neighbors for outdoor drinks.

We are going to ease into this nice and slow but by the fall we're going to be taking advantage of the built-in babysitter once a week. :hellyeah:
loving A. I'm still a good 6 years away from this scenario.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Mustached Demon posted:

the human body's gross and disgusting we get it
now get over it and be a drat parent
I do miss the yellow mustard splats. That was easy even though there were more containment breaches.
lol on this note I love it when we have blueberries, not because they're good, but because then my youngest' poop will be extremely easy to clean up. It only takes a wipe or two and it's done. Corn on the other hand? holy gently caress I hate life with that bullshit poo poo

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

The Nastier Nate posted:

one of the nice little bonuses about covid is that my kids werent in a virus incubator 5 days a week almost a year so my wife and i didnt get sick at all in 2020
the truth
my oldest was ran through the gauntlet of nanny care until daycare their whole life, with us getting sick with something on a bi-weekly basis. the youngest has avoided all daycare and we've saved $2k a month on daycare due to covid, all while none of us got sick with anything, it's been one of the few positives during the pandemic

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

The Nastier Nate posted:

I’ve refused to read any parenting books so far but my wife is insisting I read on one adhd for kids for my 6 year old

I assume all 6 year old boys basically have adhd but we always figured ours was extra insane and now a doctor has given us a diagnosis “he’s on the border but, yea probably”
This was a really good book imo, Raising An Emotionally Intelligent Child by John M. Gottman
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/213186.Raising_An_Emotionally_Intelligent_Child
not exactly geared towards adhd but it was still very helpful for me as my toddler became a fully realized kid

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

crossposting a rely from the covid thread,

fosborb posted:

you know who can't get covid?

marbles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPFVLLxhEI4
don't gently caress around and find out like i did
early covid I showed this youtube channel to my K aged kid and so then spent the next 3 months building/assisting all sorts of everything marble
all while also making sure my 12-24mo old didn't come up on a marble and choke/die
i'm so happy the marble phase has passed and we're on to other things

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

shout out to my kids teacher in virtual kindergarten for making this song an assignment to read along / sing along / think on / illustrate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vh31FPTK_Gs
I Live in a City by Malvina Reynolds; copyright 1960

quote:

Chorus:
I live in a city, yes I do,
Made by human hands.

Black hands, white hands, yellow and brown,
All together built this town,
Black hands, white hands, yellow and brown,
All together makes the wheels go 'round.

(Chorus)

Brown hands, yellow hands, white and black,
Mined the coal and built the stack,
Brown hands, yellow hands, white and black,
Built the engine and laid the track.

(Chorus)

Black hands, brown hands, yellow and white,
Built the buildings tall and bright,
Black hands, brown hands, yellow and white,
Filled them all with shining light.

(Chorus)

Black hands, white hands, brown and tan,
Milled the flour and clean the pan,
Black hands, brown hands, white and tan,
The working woman and the working man.

(Chorus)
my kid has been singing it non-stop since the assignment and it's sparked some wonderful talks

Tzen has issued a correction as of 08:04 on Jun 9, 2021

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Tzen posted:

crossposting a rely from the covid thread,

don't gently caress around and find out like i did
early covid I showed this youtube channel to my K aged kid and so then spent the next 3 months building/assisting all sorts of everything marble
all while also making sure my 12-24mo old didn't come up on a marble and choke/die
i'm so happy the marble phase has passed and we're on to other things

lmao

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

https://twitter.com/hbottemiller/status/1402679245571346439?s=19

Cool

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
if you want further info read consumer report’s investigations into baby/infant stuff, it’s free on their site I believe

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽
Infant cereal is bad anyways, when they are old enough to eat food they can eat real food. Otherwise it's just getting in the way of the good good milk that's good for their body.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Mustached Demon posted:

the human body's gross and disgusting we get it

now get over it and be a drat parent

I do miss the yellow mustard splats. That was easy even though there were more containment breaches.

has anyone ever made long diapers called "containment breeches"?

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽
Baby is in the hospital with RSV and still breastfeeding so my wife has to stay there with her while I stay at home with the three year old. This stinks. New kid is pretty miserable and there isn't anything we can do about it except suck her nose every couple hours. Not worried about her dying or long term effects or anything but the hospital support is the best option for the baby. Feeling pretty helpless.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Tzen posted:

the truth
my oldest was ran through the gauntlet of nanny care until daycare their whole life, with us getting sick with something on a bi-weekly basis. the youngest has avoided all daycare and we've saved $2k a month on daycare due to covid, all while none of us got sick with anything, it's been one of the few positives during the pandemic

All the money I saved in daycare is gonna be spent on my resulting therapy.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

AxGrap posted:

Baby is in the hospital with RSV and still breastfeeding so my wife has to stay there with her while I stay at home with the three year old. This stinks. New kid is pretty miserable and there isn't anything we can do about it except suck her nose every couple hours. Not worried about her dying or long term effects or anything but the hospital support is the best option for the baby. Feeling pretty helpless.

Wow. Sorry to hear this and I hope your little one gets better soon.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

The Nastier Nate posted:

Just be mindful if you have a toddler as they may dismantle it and eat the battery inside

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

AxGrap posted:

I'm so sorry :(

those little rice bits/wafers are for learning how to grab things and not much else imo

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

AxGrap posted:

Hang in there. I had a baby in the hospital and it's no loving fun, but it'll get better.

also:

https://twitter.com/InternetHippo/status/1402958575270518786

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Mustached Demon posted:

those little rice bits/wafers are for learning how to grab things and not much else imo

My kids loves'em, to the point where you give her two puffs and she'll happily eat a bite or two of something she hates before realizing she's been bamboozled.

No idea if the Gerber puffs are also contaminated by heavy metals (probably), but, uh:

quote:

There are no limits for arsenic in most other baby foods, nor are there any limits for other heavy metals in most foods marketed for babies and small children.

Thank god she's being weaned and will be on to normal food soonish. My homemade sourdough is already her favorite thing, so I should probably focus on making more of that.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Another Bill posted:

Hang in there. I had a baby in the hospital and it's no loving fun, but it'll get better.

also:

Since all in person stuff is shut down my wife and I are doing some of the online classes from the mayo clinic to at least do something to prep and that's definitely a screenshot from the 'caring for a newborn' class I just took last weekend, it also made me wtf.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

AxGrap posted:

god that sucks. i hope things get better for your family soon :(

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

i never really bothered with cereals for kids because feeding your kid bland and flavorless poo poo feels like such a waste to me. i just let my kids gnaw/suck on a portion of whatever it was we were eating and never had any issues. it's also pretty fun to see what flavors infants and toddlers latch onto, because in my experience they're not as picky as older kids. when my first kid was 1 she absolutely adored pickled ginger and scarfed that poo poo down anytime we had some on hand.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

Another Bill posted:

also:

I've considered leaving one of my shoes back there with the kids so I don't forget. I am TERRIFIED of forgetting they're back there but I also have to check that the door is locked and the oven is off half a dozen times before I can leave the house so it might be related to that.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

i never had to worry about forgetting my kids in the car because they're very loud

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Get your kids one of those geofencing bracelets tagged to your phone, then one day you'll get an alarm and find out your kid is either having adventures with new friends Donatello and Michaelangelo or it was somehow flushed down the toilet.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

U-DO Burger posted:

i never really bothered with cereals for kids because feeding your kid bland and flavorless poo poo feels like such a waste to me. i just let my kids gnaw/suck on a portion of whatever it was we were eating and never had any issues. it's also pretty fun to see what flavors infants and toddlers latch onto, because in my experience they're not as picky as older kids. when my first kid was 1 she absolutely adored pickled ginger and scarfed that poo poo down anytime we had some on hand.

we had the pleasure of one of our kids being allergic or intolerant to everything and it drastically altered how we cooked and ate food

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

kiddo, why did you throw two full sippy cups at me and give the more sign?