Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Imagined posted:

There are few sources of schadenfreude more pure than that felt by an underappreciated or misused employee as they leave for greener pastures knowing that their former employers are royally hosed.

I am far from a petty or vindictive person. However, the last job I had, over the course of a year I developed this beautiful data visualization system that crunched a lot of data and shot them over to presentations across the building. That way people could see where we were at for the day, how our equipment was doing and if there were any upcoming staffing concerns. All at-a-glance from any TV. It was a huge hit.

I told my boss I was looking for other work and would be happy to train others on the upkeep of the product. No one wanted to take an hour to learn how to keep it running and I was told by a friend that two weeks after I left, a small glitch happened and they couldn't figure out how to fix it and then never replaced it.

Screw them. I worked my rear end off and they wouldn't even consider a raise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

SkyeAuroline posted:

Does "the only person who knows how the system works, and has refused to train anyone or write anything down for the sake of job security, right up until work stress + age was enough they had to" count as a trainer? If so then I got 50% and the other 50% has been "uh, figure it out, here's some complete stuff to look at" that I reformatted as real guides, because I'm keenly aware I'm going to be in the same position down the line if I stay here.

Oh GOD, the "muh job securiteh" line makes me SO tilted.

I had a job writing process documentation for the shop floor once; I got the job because I was in the department, on the floor, doing the job alongside these guys, and somehow stumbled into a training/documentation role.

The amount of grief I got from day shift about this was immense; several of them loudly accused me of attempting to make their jobs easier to outsource. (No, you idiots - but if 2nd and 3rd shift keep loving everything up because there is no documentation and no training, they might outsource it then!)

2nd and 3rd shift loved the work I was doing because they WANTED to do a good job, but didn't have the knowledge/experience on-shift for so much.

*wistful sigh* If it paid better and/or had a future attached to it, I probably could have done that job forever, it was great.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Imagined posted:

There are few sources of schadenfreude more pure than that felt by an underappreciated or misused employee as they leave for greener pastures knowing that their former employers are royally hosed.

It's so satisfying.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Zarin posted:

I had a job writing process documentation for the shop floor once; I got the job because I was in the department, on the floor, doing the job alongside these guys, and somehow stumbled into a training/documentation role.

The amount of grief I got from day shift about this was immense; several of them loudly accused me of attempting to make their jobs easier to outsource. (No, you idiots - but if 2nd and 3rd shift keep loving everything up because there is no documentation and no training, they might outsource it then!)

2nd and 3rd shift loved the work I was doing because they WANTED to do a good job, but didn't have the knowledge/experience on-shift for so much.

*wistful sigh* If it paid better and/or had a future attached to it, I probably could have done that job forever, it was great.

Same, on the last bit. It's one of the few parts of my job where I'm tangibly helping people other than myself (and shareholders) and I appreciate being able to do it. I'm not always given enough of the existing documentation or information to do it correctly (have to get in touch with another department today to see if they have any better guidance than a screenshot with red circles on it - considering this is the same guy who asked me to sort his excel file for him because he didn't know how, I doubt it), but I do my best with what's presented to try and get everything to a standard format of instructions if nothing else. Nominally makes it easier for new hires, here and at other sites.

The only new hire I've had to test it with was more concerned with watching soaps on her phone than actually working, so no idea if it actually does help. But still!

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Inzombiac posted:

I am far from a petty or vindictive person. However, the last job I had, over the course of a year I developed this beautiful data visualization system that crunched a lot of data and shot them over to presentations across the building. That way people could see where we were at for the day, how our equipment was doing and if there were any upcoming staffing concerns. All at-a-glance from any TV. It was a huge hit.

I told my boss I was looking for other work and would be happy to train others on the upkeep of the product. No one wanted to take an hour to learn how to keep it running and I was told by a friend that two weeks after I left, a small glitch happened and they couldn't figure out how to fix it and then never replaced it.

Screw them. I worked my rear end off and they wouldn't even consider a raise.

If they didnt miss it when it was gone maybe it was a waste of time to work on it.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

CarForumPoster posted:

If they didnt miss it when it was gone maybe it was a waste of time to work on it.

They did miss it but didn't know how to fix or replace it, even with the documentation I left behind. I worked mostly with older folks that thought the young "computers guy" would be around forever.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

You’re well shot of that place.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Zarin posted:

We had a long term employee in an HR adjacent dept with little responsibility. When their dept hired a reasonably bright young guy, he reported bafflement when they received simple tasks and he would fire up Excel and this coworker would take out a blank piece of paper and start drawing lines to make a chart. The existing employee accused him of being there to replace them, which yes if your contributions to the company could be replaced with a rock with googly eyes you should worry about job security.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Hyrax Attack! posted:

he would fire up Excel and this coworker would take out a blank piece of paper and start drawing lines to make a chart.

Too real man

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Outrail posted:

Too real man

Yeah, honestly if the company told that type of employee (we have a few) to stop coming to the office but they'd still receive pay/benefits it would be a positive as the organization would free up a desk and parking spot. Although that would be weird to justify to higher ups, "this person has zero skills, is untrainable, and browses the internet all day. we are under no legal or union obligation to retain them. As we fear they'd be unhireable elsewhere we've decided to take on paternal obligations to avoid them becoming destitute." Maybe a case for UBI, I dunno.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Yeah, honestly if the company told that type of employee (we have a few) to stop coming to the office but they'd still receive pay/benefits it would be a positive as the organization would free up a desk and parking spot. Although that would be weird to justify to higher ups, "this person has zero skills, is untrainable, and browses the internet all day. we are under no legal or union obligation to retain them. As we fear they'd be unhireable elsewhere we've decided to take on paternal obligations to avoid them becoming destitute." Maybe a case for UBI, I dunno.

Ideal candidate for checking tickets or a personing a toll booth. Bump up minimum wage to livable levels and they might be happier doing something they can be good at.

There's still jobs that basically just need a warm body to sit there and do the thing. Call it a self managed supervisory role and stuff all middle managers onto the roster. Let them fight over shift schedules or whatever they like to do.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Imagined posted:

This is happening all over the place at my current company (myself included) and the higher ups are in for a big shock as nothing gets done and they have nobody left to blame but themselves and the grindy culture they maintain.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Outrail posted:

Ideal candidate for checking tickets or a personing a toll booth. Bump up minimum wage to livable levels and they might be happier doing something they can be good at.

There's still jobs that basically just need a warm body to sit there and do the thing. Call it a self managed supervisory role and stuff all middle managers onto the roster. Let them fight over shift schedules or whatever they like to do.

I'm not a super ambitious person any more and really like talking to the public in an assisting role, most of the time. I'd give up my career for a simple "stupid" job if minimum wage was actually good.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Hyrax Attack! posted:

We had a long term employee in an HR adjacent dept with little responsibility. When their dept hired a reasonably bright young guy, he reported bafflement when they received simple tasks and he would fire up Excel and this coworker would take out a blank piece of paper and start drawing lines to make a chart. The existing employee accused him of being there to replace them, which yes if your contributions to the company could be replaced with a rock with googly eyes you should worry about job security.

This is the funniest thing I've read in the last month. Holy poo poo.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Elephant Ambush posted:

This is happening all over the place at my current company (myself included) and the higher ups are in for a big shock as nothing gets done and they have nobody left to blame but themselves and the grindy culture they maintain.

its hard to tell where a wave ends and begins (a few people left spaced out before me) but i left under 2 months ago & there's been a huge flood of people leaving my old job. none of them in my area, just tons of people across the org seeing how absolutely lovely they treat everyone, how poor the pay has gotten, no raises, etc etc.

They're realizing now that I wasn't a loving idiot when I said we were understaffed because now without me (they haven't even posted my job yet!) nothing is getting done but the bare minimum. It owns. The people i left behind (my two employees, one of whom I guess I hope gets promoted) don't give a gently caress either anymore and just direct people to the CFO if they complain about lack of IT resources.

I'm making double to do less work in a lower pressure less regulated environment annnnnd a bunch of pizzas just arrived

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

Imagined posted:

My SIL worked at an imploding nonprofit in a position that by no means should have been load-bearing but kind of became that way after a bunch of other people left and were not replaced (including her direct supervisor) and she took on more responsibilities but not more compensation. She got another job and handed in her resignation right before a board meeting and caused a panic. Really funny to hear how the departure of one twenty-something paper pusher caused such a crisis that it was discussed at the board meeting.

Inzombiac posted:

I'm not a super ambitious person any more and really like talking to the public in an assisting role, most of the time. I'd give up my career for a simple "stupid" job if minimum wage was actually good.

An author friend of mine likes to pick up stupid jobs like dishwashing so she can make some extra money while freeing up her mind so she could think about stories to write, resolve plot issues, run character interaction scenarios, etc. Works out really well for her.

Sometimes I think about how nice it would be to be a house painter or plasterer or something - a job that takes physical precision, focus, and skill and is rewarding but doesn't utilize the same parts of your brain as computer touching. Would be nice for a change to come hope physically tired but mentally relaxed instead of mentally fried and physically restless.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
It happened to me at my previous job. Because I was competent I ended up picking up all kinds of duties outside my original job description. I was hired to run ONE program area. By the time I left, I was running FIVE, plus administering three advisory boards, handholding the developers through making our next database software, remaking our PDF forms (I was the only one who understood Acrobat), and managing our division's website. None of this involved a raise. It was just the proverbial 'boiling the frog by gradually heating the water'. Honestly, I was bored out of my mind when they first hired me so I didn't mind picking up "extra" stuff at first -- until they forgot that it had been "extra" and became "your job", and my stress grew and grew until I had enough. I moved sideways to another division that paid the same but I'm back to being underused and bored. I expect to repeat the cycle again, but at least I hit the reset button.

For a while I did get increasingly frantic emails and eventually phone calls from the people in my old division that had had to pick up what I used to do, but I ignored them. Not my problem anymore! I don't even really blame my former supervisors for letting it get to where it did, because I would've done the same. They couldn't hire more people, and they couldn't fire the dullards they had, so when new poo poo came in they had no choice but to give it to me. I think they honestly never expected I would leave -- the flaw in the plan.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jun 8, 2021

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Hyrax Attack! posted:

The existing employee accused him of being there to replace them, which yes if your contributions to the company could be replaced with a rock with googly eyes you should worry about job security.

Eh, the way I look at it, "Job Security" is a fairy tale. In all the Reduction In Force (RIF) / layoff situations I've seen, I feel like the company probably let people go at near-random. In many cases, extremely helpful people that had tons of knowledge were let go, while many people in the "I can't quite figure out what this person does all day" camp were retained. I eventually decided that I'll just do what I can to keep my skills relevant and whatever happens happens - I certainly don't have much control over it!

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Yeah, I worked with a lady who was real smart and genuinely a good person. But she did NOT belong in a factory production environment. In a perfect world, she would have felt free to quit the job and spend however long was necessary to find something she would have found fulfilling that would have matched her skillset. Instead, she had to come to the factory every day to pay the bills, and it made everyone around her miserable.

Imagined posted:

I expect to repeat the cycle again, but at least I hit the reset button.

For a while I did get increasingly frantic emails and eventually phone calls from the people in my old division that had had to pick up what I used to do, but I ignored them. Not my problem anymore! I don't even really blame my former supervisors for letting it get to where it did, because I would've done the same. They couldn't hire more people, and they couldn't fire the dullards they had, so when new poo poo came in they had no choice but to give it to me. I think they honestly never expected I would leave -- the flaw in the plan.

I was in kinda the same boat, although my reset button was to take a promotion with a different company. I'd suggest checking that out instead of a lateral next time maybe :shobon:

My old company did the same thing though - the low-performers were already fully burdened, and besides, giving them anything was like throwing it into a black hole anyway. So the high performers would keep getting work shoveled onto their desk until they either snapped or quit.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

My work sent out an email about their intent to return to the buildings starting this summer, and completely return by Jan. '22. I blame all my coworkers who blasted out batches of kids that they can't stand or control for ruining it for the rest of us. Every single or childless person in my division has loved WFH, and almost everyone with kids is practically crying while begging to return.

Having this past year and change fully working from home has been so good that I am giving serious thought to finding a different, fully WFH job so I can keep it going.
I saved so much money and time from not having to commute every day that I was able to pay off some of my debts, buy some luxury stuff that I never would have considered before (3D printer, lol), and had more time to spend with my family and dog.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Zarin posted:

I was in kinda the same boat, although my reset button was to take a promotion with a different company. I'd suggest checking that out instead of a lateral next time maybe :shobon:

My old company did the same thing though - the low-performers were already fully burdened, and besides, giving them anything was like throwing it into a black hole anyway. So the high performers would keep getting work shoveled onto their desk until they either snapped or quit.

Would be nice, but I'm fully vested in the retirement program here, and have found it exceedingly difficult at my level of education to find an equivalent job that would also insure my entire family, God bless America. :patriot:

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

My first job out of college ended up being IT helpdesk at a non-profit (in fact the national headquarters of a major church). One of the departments had a young guy who was fairly tech savvy, and all the olds began to turn to him for help instead of going to helpdesk - understandably so, as helpdesk was often chaos. But that's a whole other post.

I worked there 2004-2006, and ended up visiting a few years later when I worked at an MSP and was on a client visit. That guy had become the helpdesk manager :unsmith:

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

My first job out of college ended up being IT helpdesk at a non-profit (in fact the national headquarters of a major church). One of the departments had a young guy who was fairly tech savvy, and all the olds began to turn to him for help instead of going to helpdesk - understandably so, as helpdesk was often chaos. But that's a whole other post.

I worked there 2004-2006, and ended up visiting a few years later when I worked at an MSP and was on a client visit. That guy had become the helpdesk manager :unsmith:

Condolences to him.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Inzombiac posted:

Actually same. I worked at a sandwich bar baking bagels and working the grill and honestly if there was a comparable wage progression I'd probably stay. Eventually I'd start trying to fix things and improve poo poo but it'd still be interestingish

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM

Queen Victorian posted:

Sometimes I think about how nice it would be to be a house painter or plasterer or something - a job that takes physical precision, focus, and skill and is rewarding but doesn't utilize the same parts of your brain as computer touching. Would be nice for a change to come hope physically tired but mentally relaxed instead of mentally fried and physically restless.

I got laid off from my mechanical engineer role last August and was out of work for 6 months. A former coworker of mine got a job as a project manager at a construction company in my same industry and had seen my hobby woodworking posts on Facebook. He needed someone with some finesse to do some carpentry and brought me on. The good days are good; when its not too hot and theres a minimum of worksite jackassery and I can just do my work in peace, I come home tired but satisfied at a job well done and a hard days work. When its a hot humid swampassy day and your last drill bit snaps after putting a few hundred holes into stucco with your tiny 12v Milwaukee and everything hurts, I begin to question my life choices.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Imagined posted:

I once got an apologetic letter offering me a raise, an office, and an assistant if I came back.

I didn't go back.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

frogge posted:

My work sent out an email about their intent to return to the buildings starting this summer, and completely return by Jan. '22. I blame all my coworkers who blasted out batches of kids that they can't stand or control for ruining it for the rest of us. Every single or childless person in my division has loved WFH, and almost everyone with kids is practically crying while begging to return.

I hope you don't actually think that your coworkers are the reason that butts are being returned to seats, instead of a need to survey domains

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I once got an apologetic letter offering me a raise, an office, and an assistant if I came back.

I didn't go back.

Send a one-line reply asking "So why didn't you offer those when I was there?"

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
Every month I have to manually message three people in the right order to unlock access to a database that I can’t do my job without. The access expires silently so once a month someone asks me to do something urgently and I suddenly can’t. In an effort to improve this, they made a Jira system to request access. Now I have to make a ticket AND manually message three people.

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

Every month I have to manually message three people in the right order to unlock access to a database that I can’t do my job without. The access expires silently so once a month someone asks me to do something urgently and I suddenly can’t. In an effort to improve this, they made a Jira system to request access. Now I have to make a ticket AND manually message three people.

Automate sending the emails requesting access back?

Local Weather
Feb 12, 2005

Don't worry, I'll give you a sign. The sign will be that life is awesome

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I didn't go back.

Oh god yeah when I left my job in 2014 it was after years of the company getting more and more customer and business with us getting no raises. The owner and his wife were really upset and kind of baffled that I was leaving. The wife asked my why and I told her I was getting a $30,000 raise by leaving and she was dumbstruck and actually had the nerve to say "wait this is about money?"

I mean yeah, poo poo I had been asking for a raise for two years and was told pretty directly that no one was getting a raise ever. Not too motivational.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Xaintrailles posted:

Automate sending the emails requesting access back?

This.
Automation is often your only way of clawing back time from those who steal it.

At one job I had, we figured out that they turned on the AC based on complaints received via the all-staff IM channel, so my co-worker just added an "AC" macro to his computer that would spit out complaints every couple of minutes when triggered.
Worked well.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

:psyduck:

Were the toilets only cleaned after sufficient complaints?

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Atopian posted:

This.
Automation is often your only way of clawing back time from those who steal it.

At one job I had, we figured out that they turned on the AC based on complaints received via the all-staff IM channel, so my co-worker just added an "AC" macro to his computer that would spit out complaints every couple of minutes when triggered.
Worked well.

In my mind someone also automated the check for number of complaints as well.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Steakandchips posted:

That's how it works at my house. :colbert:

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Total Meatlove posted:

In my mind someone also automated the check for number of complaints as well.

True progress, then.

Management directive of "only turn on the AC when there are complaints" has been achieved with a minimum of employee effort, and minimal work environment discomfort.

I don't hate the people who control the AC, I just view them as obstacles to be dealt with.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Local Weather posted:

Oh god yeah when I left my job in 2014 it was after years of the company getting more and more customer and business with us getting no raises. The owner and his wife were really upset and kind of baffled that I was leaving. The wife asked my why and I told her I was getting a $30,000 raise by leaving and she was dumbstruck and actually had the nerve to say "wait this is about money?"

I mean yeah, poo poo I had been asking for a raise for two years and was told pretty directly that no one was getting a raise ever. Not too motivational.

I accepted a job at another company back in the summer of 2019. It wasn't more money but the job was interesting, I was going to get to learn some new tech (radar systems, new to me anyway), and it was a government military contractor.

When I told my boss, he didn't even make me a counter offer, so I figured that was that. A few days before I was to leave I sent him a message asking him what he thought a package to keep me might look like, and he said something to the effect of "oh, you'll stay if we pay you more? I didn't know it was about money." Motherfucker, it's always about money.

It worked out because I got a 25% raise and profit sharing. Other company still contacted me like 6 months later even though I kind of burned them at the last second, but they couldn't come close to what I make now.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

Combo posted:

I accepted a job at another company back in the summer of 2019. It wasn't more money but the job was interesting, I was going to get to learn some new tech (radar systems, new to me anyway), and it was a government military contractor.

When I told my boss, he didn't even make me a counter offer, so I figured that was that. A few days before I was to leave I sent him a message asking him what he thought a package to keep me might look like, and he said something to the effect of "oh, you'll stay if we pay you more? I didn't know it was about money." Motherfucker, it's always about money.

It worked out because I got a 25% raise and profit sharing. Other company still contacted me like 6 months later even though I kind of burned them at the last second, but they couldn't come close to what I make now.

I can share from personal experience that "other company" sucks balls to work for, so you dodged a bullet too.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Gin_Rummy posted:

I can share from personal experience that "other company" sucks balls to work for, so you dodged a bullet too.

Have you worked for them or have a good idea who I'm referring to? Honestly seemed like they had their poo poo together and i know people there. They just have very static levels of pay for certain jobs.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Steakandchips posted:

We have actively broken plumbing that hasn't been fixed because I'm the only one to raise a complaint and it's not deemed worth the expense yet.

So yes, probably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

Combo posted:

Have you worked for them or have a good idea who I'm referring to? Honestly seemed like they had their poo poo together and i know people there. They just have very static levels of pay for certain jobs.

If its the one I am thinking of, who I might possibly work for, certain areas have their poo poo together while others don't. Like most jobs, it comes down to the specific program and/or boss you have. Both of mine suck.

EDIT: Also if you order something today, expect to see it in six months at the earliest.

Gin_Rummy fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jun 9, 2021