Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

Looks like he's got vodka on the brain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Groovelord Neato posted:

I think Coppola has actually said that's what happened - that he either wishes he had or tried to get Keanu to not worry about it so much and Keanu's focus on doing the accent affected his performance.

Keanu's role is also pretty clearly meant to be The Baxter in the movie's script. He's the dull, safe option for Mina when Dracula is the hot monster that she really wants. But I don't think the movie makes that clear enough and so you've got Keanu being wooden in an intentionally-dull role and the pieces just don't quite connect.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

lobsterminator posted:

Seems like jolly fellow.

No wonder he hasn't been seen lately

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
That's Jack!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I drink your costar

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

pangstrom posted:

I found "evil" Jim Varney bizarrely compelling, attractive to the point it was a little uncomfortable and confusing for me. Years and years later, somebody on How Did This Get Made a movie podcast I don't listen to anymore (think it was June Diane Raphael on "how did this get made" but could have been a guest or a woman on a totally different podcast) said the same thing and everybody was like OMG what but not me!

edit: yeah it was June on HDTGM I remember it was referenced it in one of their theme songs

hdtgm wasn't very good at all imo. you'd think it's some kind of documentary style podcast on the making of movies, but it turns out the title is rhetorical and the hosts include two of the least funniest comedians from the it's always sunny rip off

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The Klowner posted:

hdtgm wasn't very good at all imo. you'd think it's some kind of documentary style podcast on the making of movies, but it turns out the title is rhetorical and the hosts include two of the least funniest comedians from the it's always sunny rip off

yeah it fucken stinks

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I only listened to the Sleepaway Camp episode and it reminded me of the Event Horizon re:View because they were forgetting or getting stuff wrong that I was picking up on when I hadn't seen the movie in over a decade but they presumably had watched for the podcast.

And yeah I was disappointed it didn't actually go into well...how did this get made.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

yeah if you think Mike has dementia then the HDTGM (??) guys take the cake

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

DangerDummy! posted:

Ernest Goes to Jail was better than it should have been. I say that as someone who is not an "Ernest Guy"

Ernest Scared Stupid is great, too. I will always laugh at the Miak scene.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

The Klowner posted:

Being upset because you thought How Did This Get Made, one of the longest-running (it's 2 years older than Best of the Worst) and best-known bad movie podcasts, was going to be a documentary series is much more on you than on them.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Yeah I'm not a hater of How Did This Get Made, and I might go back and listen to it in a world where I had like double the free time, but it got a little tired and definitely BOTW made it seem a lot worse to me.

Posted this before but by far the best thing they did when I was still listening was the interview of a Crocodile Dundee 3 writer (mostly about what a greedy psycho Paul Hogan is, maybe the leather vest is an Australian outback take on a black tank top)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvmJ3ziwEas
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6sfnWrH_6Q

pangstrom fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jun 9, 2021

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LanceHunter posted:

Being upset because you thought How Did This Get Made, one of the longest-running (it's 2 years older than Best of the Worst) and best-known bad movie podcasts, was going to be a documentary series is much more on you than on them.

the title being misleading grinds my gears but them being completely unfunny is the greatest sin a comedian can make

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

has Jack been on it

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

I'd like HDTGM a lot more if they tried to explain the plot of the movie as they went along, because as-is you have to watch the movie if you want to have any idea what they're talking about, and ain't nobody got time for that

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Communist Walrus posted:

I'd like HDTGM a lot more if they tried to explain the plot of the movie as they went along, because as-is you have to watch the movie if you want to have any idea what they're talking about, and ain't nobody got time for that

I mean, that has been the premise of the podcast since its inception. They release a mini episode a week before each new episode, specifically to say what movie they'll be covering in the next episode so that the audience can go watch it beforehand. It's very different than how most bad movie podcasts work now, but I prefer it the "describe each beat of the movie, with a comic over-exaggerated reaction to it afterwards" Nostalgia Critic style that too many other bad movie podcasts (still) have.

Also, most importantly, HDTGM keeps Avaryl Halley employed as a producer. Which allows her the freedom to do other fun stuff like this (the best Sleepaway Camp review ever made) -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcVbVT2bFoM

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Andro Dunos posted:

They should use the technology from Army of the Dead that replaced Chris D'Elia with Tig Notaro to replace Keanu Reeves in Dracula with any other actor.

I was thinking this too while watching Army of the Dead, but replacing Mickey Rooney with George Takei in Breakfast At Tiffany's .

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Your Gay Uncle posted:

I was thinking this too while watching Army of the Dead, but replacing Mickey Rooney with George Takei in Breakfast At Tiffany's .

It strains all credulity to try and imagine George Takei wanting to break up Holly Golightly's parties instead of grabbing a drink and joining in.

Also, I just received wonderful news!

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

lol I am watching the RLM Geteven BOTW right this second.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Your Gay Uncle posted:

What if the racist caricature were played by an Asian actor, that would be better, right?

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

LanceHunter posted:

I mean, that has been the premise of the podcast since its inception. They release a mini episode a week before each new episode, specifically to say what movie they'll be covering in the next episode so that the audience can go watch it beforehand. It's very different than how most bad movie podcasts work now, but I prefer it the "describe each beat of the movie, with a comic over-exaggerated reaction to it afterwards" Nostalgia Critic style that too many other bad movie podcasts (still) have.

Also, most importantly, HDTGM keeps Avaryl Halley employed as a producer. Which allows her the freedom to do other fun stuff like this (the best Sleepaway Camp review ever made) -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcVbVT2bFoM

Oh don't get me wrong, I've been listening to it on and off for a decade so the format's not new to me. I like the show well enough; the digressions they get into and June's wild takes/the responses to them are funny enough on their own. It'd just make it easier to follow if they described more of the plot or at least talked about the movie in a linear fashion.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

lobsterminator posted:

Seems like jolly fellow.

Flip flop jelly hop Tom Bombadillo

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

infernal machines posted:

What if the racist caricature were played by an Asian actor, that would be better, right?

Apparently Mr. Yunioshi was very different in the novella (which would make sense, as the novella was basically just Capote dishing on the actual people in his scene at the time). So making the character more like that might work. But you can't exactly re-write the role if you're doing an Army Of The Dead-style actor replacement. If you could, there's no way they would have kept the helicopter pilot character as such an rear end in a top hat. Tig Notaro is just too likable and if they could re-write they'd clearly have made the character a better fit for her.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

The Klowner posted:

the title being misleading grinds my gears but them being completely unfunny is the greatest sin a comedian can make

Both Scheer and Jason are way funnier than you hoss

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i dunno he's the guy who got lurdiak to self-crucify

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Milo and POTUS posted:

Both Scheer and Jason are way funnier than you hoss

Well Jason is

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Cowcaster posted:

i dunno he's the guy who got lurdiak to self-crucify

Oh. Ok then, nvm. Sorry

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Paul Scheer is a funny ideas guy, a funny writer, and funny looking, but not a funny talky man.

Jason is funny talky man, funny writer, but not funny ideas guy and more handsome than funny looking.

June is funny talky woman, pretty woman, don't know about ideas or writing.

So Paul actually has the most categories of these, but funny looks and funny writing and funny ideas has no bearing on talking extemporaneously on a podcast so he comes out the loser.

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jun 9, 2021

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
(my favorite individual HDTGM podcast moment, though I reserve the right to get furious to myself when people post the next porg lady video here)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t45-k13vIUY

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Jason Mantzoukas ruled so hard in “The Good Place”. gently caress yeah, Derek!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Horrible men is loving terrible holy poo poo lol

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

jason mantzoukas rules i love him as the tick tock man and also the dink dink man

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

That movie was terrible, but the idea of Judas as the first Vampire was brilliant and belonged in a better film. It really 'explains' and thematically fits the Vampire mythos perfectly.

In the Vampire tabletop rpg's Cain is the first vampire so even that idea isn't original

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I've only seen Jason in I'm Sorry and he was good in it but I pretty much only watched the show because I found the main character very attractive (Jason plays her best pal and writing partner).

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
there was a vampire movie with a young bruce campbell that had dracula founding a town of vampires to try to manufacture a synthetic blood so they don't have to feed on humans, there was a fantastic twist at the end dracula and a few good vampires are trying to save a couple of humans who are trapped and right before the bad vampires kill them all the humans construct a cross and all the bad vampires die screaming as dracula cries with joy because he's not being hurt by the cross, he's been "forgiven" the rest of the movie is "meh" but the ending was pretty cool

how did this get made is good when the movie is a certain kind of stupid, "look whose talking 2" and "jingle all the way". but it slogs when the movies do.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I don't know if this is to anyone's taste, but all the Ernest talk reminded me that Neil C (aka Lemon Demon, busting, brodyquest, etc) has been doing video content with some other guys for a while, and they did a surprisingly sincere deep dive into every Ernest movie called "Ernest Roulette" in a podcast/panel discussion format. They get a lot wrong (e.g. putting Ernest Goes To Jail above Scared Stupid) but it's an interesting exercise for any real Ernest Head.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Nothing has ever been MORE to my taste. Thank you so much.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Cowcaster posted:

jason mantzoukas rules i love him as the tick tock man and also the dink dink man

the tick tock man vs stop clockerman

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Scaramouche posted:

I don't know if this is to anyone's taste, but all the Ernest talk reminded me that Neil C (aka Lemon Demon, busting, brodyquest, etc) has been doing video content with some other guys for a while, and they did a surprisingly sincere deep dive into every Ernest movie called "Ernest Roulette" in a podcast/panel discussion format. They get a lot wrong (e.g. putting Ernest Goes To Jail above Scared Stupid) but it's an interesting exercise for any real Ernest Head.
"Goes to Jail" was a better Ernest movie.
"Scared Stupid" was a better movie.

"I don't believe it Rimshot, he's pulling against *quick mental calculation* 200 horsepower!"
loving genius. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxWb-ViejPg
also, to clear up the confusion: Ernest was handsome and pretty jacked. he could also act. there is no shame in having a crush on Ernest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

If the lads are going to keep up their momentum, finish the year strong, and ultimately earn redemption for the event horizon travesty, good re:view choices are going to be key. Ernest film(s) would be a strong move for sure