Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

LoudPipesSaveLives posted:

That's the one! He kept breaking bikes and parts before then.

If you're looking at getting a randonneur bike made, I'd find someone who specializes in that (even if that's the style you're going for). Reach out to Jeff Lyon - https://www.lyonsport.com/ - he's best reached by call. Nobilette also does some great bikes - http://nobilettecycles.net/ as does this dude - https://thompsoncustombicycles.com/. If you want to go ultra fancy, Brian Chapman or JP Weigle (good luck getting on his wait list though).

Edit: Don't go with Fitz Cycles in the Bay Area though. That guy, for some weird reason, builds crooked bikes. Like they're always slightly off center.

Shadowhand00 fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Jun 6, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime

I am fairly confident I know what I want, basically it's a copy of a Crust Bikes Disc Romanceur but taller than their XL so it measures more in line with my main bike and with a couple of other little tweaks. I imagine the frame builder will be able to streamline this and tell me what's dumb and what's good.

Pretty much. I already knew the basics I wanted for mine - stack, reach, chainstays, angles - the rest was just small tweaks like bb drop, head tube and seat tube length.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

Shadowhand00 posted:

Edit: Don't go with Fitz Cycles in the Bay Area though. That guy, for some weird reason, builds crooked bikes. Like they're always slightly off center.

Lol that sucks.

Thanks for all the links, I'm in NZ so the frame building choices are a bit limited. The guy I'm talking to has been building for a long time, he builds a lot of different styles which could be a pro or a con, but seems to do ok. I'm hoping my demands aren't too complicated and will be right in his comfort zone, as I have seen a couple of his lugged bikes and they were pretty nice. He would have started out in the 80's so lugs would have been the bread and butter of frame building at the time.

sweat poteto posted:

Pretty much. I already knew the basics I wanted for mine - stack, reach, chainstays, angles - the rest was just small tweaks like bb drop, head tube and seat tube length.

Sweet yeah I'm more or less on the same track then. It'll be stuff like tyre clearance, bb drop and chainstays I think we'll be figuring out as I have two road bikes from the 80's that am going to show him as my baseline, but also comparing that with the geo of the romanceur which I think is very similar but with a longer wheelbase like a tourer.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Homemade decaleur.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I like that there's just a sniff of a 5lb propane tank on the back.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
This is on my shopping route and summer more than makes up for the bouncing the winter bike through the mud.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

real good poo poo

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

drat, just remember how chilly it was up there.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

kimbo305 posted:

drat, just remember how chilly it was up there.

I actually took off my base layer at the top. It was 32f when I started in Hatch, and rapidly warmed up, ending at 70f when I came back down into Bryce. If I started at 7am instead of 530am it would have probably been almost 50f to start. I only got passed by maybe 15 cars the entire 45 miles from Hatch to Rainbow Point though at that time of day.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Summer bike out, looks heavy, but isn’t. Can’t remember the weight but you can pick it up on handed and get it over styles and whatnot. Bought from an independent bike shop in York years ago, walked past it in the window on the way to the station and ended up wheeling it on to the train.

Normally has a wicker basket on the front containing our lunch because of course it does.

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass
First ride out on my new old wheels!

The most photographed petrol pumps in the county.
]

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

mikemelbrooks posted:

]
So, so good

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
So many questions.

Look at that fuckin' bike! :eyepop:

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

Bryce Canyon is the best.

I wish I brought a bike when we had our trip last year. We ended up renting some bikes just to explore and it was the biggest piece of poo poo. At least the hiking is incredible. When I was there in June last year it rained the first day, was mid 80s the next day, and mid 40s the last day.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Good Dog posted:

Bryce Canyon is the best.

I wish I brought a bike when we had our trip last year. We ended up renting some bikes just to explore and it was the biggest piece of poo poo. At least the hiking is incredible. When I was there in June last year it rained the first day, was mid 80s the next day, and mid 40s the last day.

All the rentals seemed pretty lovely, and they’re almost exclusively ebikes nowadays. The MUP starting off 12 and going all the way into the Canyon is nice to avoid the car traffic, particularly in the 45mph zone that is impossible to pass. Besides the Bryce Canyon ride it doesn’t seem like there’s a lot of real good road riding unless you’re over near Panguitch or Brian Head/Parowan, with that huge climb. Mostly 65mph highways with a rumble strip on the shoulder. A few roads looked promising but changed over to gravel somewhere along the line.

Hiked a bunch of the popular trails - Navajo Loop, Queens Garden, Peekaboo Loop, etc. and then did Riggs Spring which was so much quieter. Saw 5 people the entire time. Kodachrome State Park also had some good hiking but was a bit out of the way.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
I just remember driving up 12 from 89 and remarking how nice that MUP looked, but yeah from Bryce City there isn't a whole lot of trail to ride on, its a tiny park. I think we hiked every single trail in the park system (plus driving to Mossy Cave out toward Tropic) so we mostly rented bikes to have something else to do. In retrospect we could have done the park with one less day (and added a day to our Zion trip instead). Hell, on the last day there I did the Fairyland Loop a second time as a trail run and felt like I was going to die when running my way back up to the trailhead.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

mikemelbrooks posted:

]

:holymoley:

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
A few months ago the LBS owner sent out an email to the team asking if anyone wanted to try to get a new cyclocross bike for this fall. Mostly he's forming a small team for his son and some other younger riders and they are trying to get some frames from kona and parts from shimano. Anyway, given the choice of trying to get a frame to build or a complete bike I went with the complete bike being the way things are. I didn't know when it was going to show up or what model year it'd be, but was expecting sometime later this summer. The other day I was up building this new section of trail for the XC race course at the last minute and fairly annoyed about it when the owner sent me a picture of a box that improved my mood

Surprise new bike day!

2021 Kona Major Jake, coming from my 2012 Orbea Terra. The orbea is short, and tall, and has a 74.2 degree head tube angle and rim brakes and only carries one water bottle, but it was a pretty sweet race bike for awhile, and with better brakes and tubeless 38mm tires it's been pretty good all around and on gravel as well. But having discs and a slacker head tube (71 on this, same as my old hardtail mtb) is going to be really nice.

I would have considered holding out for a 2022 which might have had better paint, but also might have had a worse build for more money, or cannondale's upcoming new cx bike, but I figured take what I can get.

The old bike. not sure what I'm going to do with it, maybe let one of the juniors use it or keep it as a pit and bad weather bike.

Cool thing is they weigh the same, I figured with the hydro discs and not great wheels the kona would be heavier. But the orbea does have lovely fsa cranks on it right now. I really like that it gets the force carbon cranks on a rival build, and I suppose I'll get it some carbon tubulars this fall.

jamal fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jun 11, 2021

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

jamal posted:

Surprise new bike day!

That bike rules, I don't think I've ever seen a Kona I thought was ugly.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

That bike rules, I don't think I've ever seen a Kona I thought was ugly.

:hmmyes:

Kona makes good bikes.

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao
Bikes are good y'all

Couldn't find a wall, sorry.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Cleaned up my old CXmmuter and rode it across the yard to take pics against my new fence section. For the CL ads. It was fine for my short commute and riding to bars, but I’d have to swap it to flat bars if it ever tried to race it. It’s a good bike and best case scenario, someone trades me a 56cm CX bike and we’re both happy.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

BeastPussy posted:

Bikes are good y'all

easy with the hot takes

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

It's a coaster brake lever! :dadjoke:

trufflefoo
Oct 29, 2006
Found this bridge/viaduct thing. Apparently it’s from a film or something…

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

trufflefoo posted:

I think I recognize it. The Bridge on the River Kwai, right?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

trufflefoo posted:

That bar flare angle is pretty... demented.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

kimbo305 posted:

That bar flare angle is pretty... demented.

It’s so flared it’s just becoming flair.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime

trufflefoo posted:

Bike you built from the steel tubes up :discourse:

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

trufflefoo posted:

Very good IMO

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

New commuter (with bad lighting)

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

You've gone through at the back

Heliosicle posted:

Looks sweet. My commuter is the same colour (but not as nice.) Is the rack rated for the standard amount (~25kg)?

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

highme posted:

... someone trades me a 56cm CX bike and we’re both happy.

Paging actionjackson to the Show Us Your Bicycle thread.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

Al2001 posted:

Looks sweet. My commuter is the same colour (but not as nice.) Is the rack rated for the standard amount (~25kg)?

Yours looks pretty tidy too!

No it's lower rated and fairly flimsy, think only 10kg or so. It's also designed mainly for the Ortlieb quicklock 3.1 system, so pannier selection is limited too unfortunately. It limits the utility but I have a stadsfiets for heavier loads and going shopping etc

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Modal Auxiliary posted:

Paging actionjackson to the Show Us Your Bicycle thread.

He needs a bigger one. No deal.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

Heliosicle posted:

Nice one, is this a Canyon ?
Belt drive / nexus commuter are brillant, clean trouser, no need to lube and they are so quiet !

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

Krogort posted:

Nice one, is this a Canyon ?
Belt drive / nexus commuter are brillant, clean trouser, no need to lube and they are so quiet !

Yep, Commuter 6.0. Yeah I'm really looking forward to the belt benefits when winter comes. The Nexus hub seems pretty smooth too, although the lowest gear is a bit too low to be useful (in the flatlands at least).