Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

RocketRaygun posted:

yeah, basically this. People keep demanding that the NPCs aren't doing anything so they are just removing them, but with lore! They did the same thing with the Almighty and Rasputin.

Maybe if we keep demanding they do something with Gambit, Bungie will delete it.

Better not, Drifter and Gambit is the best thing they have going.

Roman posted:

they simply just want to get rid of the npcs because they're never going to do anything with factions ever again

It's a shame, they have all these events why not make faction wars like Guardian games? Character chooses a faction, play the game, earn stuff, faction with most stuff wins. Give out weapons, easy stuff. Seems since early D2 they have lost interest in the factions and what to do with them.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Yeah the problem with trying to guess the storyline now is that within a few hours of the new season coming out, dataminers have pulled all of the text and cutscenes and are agressively promoting them on youtube.

E: You're not far off - her attempt to kill the eliksni is what sets off the disaster, but she is killed in the event and Hideo and Jalaal end up missing after the attack. 90% likelihood that this is because Bungie can no longer afford the VAs.

Is Bungie that hard up for cash? I have not paid attention in a while, but has going self publishing caused them financial ruin?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

PassTheRemote posted:

Is Bungie that hard up for cash? I have not paid attention in a while, but has going self publishing caused them financial ruin?

Far, far more likely is an actor is no longer available due to scheduling issues. Dinklage being replaced may have been monetary, but seems unlikely for Fillion and Torres.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I got my power level up from 1280s to 1305 since yesterday strictly from playing IB and wow. The delta is sure something, at first I was woefully underpowered, could barely even kill with supers (definitely not splash damage) and would die instantly but was aggravating but I kept my chin up. Now that in above 1300 it’s a totally different experience. I am actually getting >1.0 efficiency and having a blast!

Anyways, if you are a returning player and sub 1300, just keep it up. You’ll get a lot of IB bounties done simply from pressing forward/w and that’ll get you up there in no time.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
As far as we know Bungo is making buckets of cash. Cycling out the old VAs for newer ones makes sense because trying to schedule screen actors for like 40 lines every 6 months or so is probably too much of a pain to bother with

Bideo James
Oct 21, 2020

you'll have to ask someone else about the size of her cans
Destiny 2 is the most Lance Reddick gets to talk in all of his appearances in media,.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Bideo James posted:

Destiny 2 is the most Lance Reddick gets to talk in all of his appearances in media,.

He gets some good chunks of Corporate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srTgbzTzWOE

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

PassTheRemote posted:

It's a shame, they have all these events why not make faction wars like Guardian games? Character chooses a faction, play the game, earn stuff, faction with most stuff wins. Give out weapons, easy stuff. Seems since early D2 they have lost interest in the factions and what to do with them.

the problem is that the factions suck, hard

new monarchy is straight up fascist. "democracy is lame, we should have kings again. also i'm king." gently caress that.
FWC kinda made sense when destiny was a forever war setting where nobody talked to each other, but now that we're doing communication and diplomacy, they've realized that they're losing relevance, so they're trying to incite a race war out of desperation to try and remain relevant. if lakshmi bites it, then whatever replacement leadership they install is going to be forever tainted by that mindset. gently caress that too.
dead orbit is just... they want to leave. okay? then let them leave? as it turns out when a faction is based around "we should leave", they're going to be irrelevant until they actually achieve their goal of leaving. at which point they will be irrelevant in a new and interesting way, because they will no longer be around and therefore stanning for them will not matter anymore.

so basically the options are obvious bullshit, desperate bullshit, and irrelevant bullshit. bungie realizes this and that's why they're going to get rid of them.

Kith fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Jun 10, 2021

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
The irrelevant part of Dead Orbit is that if they leave the only direction they can go at this point is closer to the Darkness which is what they originally planned to run away from

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

there's that too.

though if there were new factions that would be pretty good. i'll side with wherever drifter winds up

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Kith posted:

new monarchy is straight up fascist. "democracy is lame, we should have kings again. also i'm king." gently caress that.
FWC kinda made sense when destiny was a forever war setting where nobody talked to each other, but now that we're doing communication and diplomacy, they've realized that they're losing relevance, so they're trying to incite a race war out of desperation to try and remain relevant. if lakshmi bites it, then whatever replacement leadership they install is going to be forever tainted by that mindset. gently caress that too.
dead orbit is just... they want to leave. okay? then let them leave? as it turns out when a faction is based around "we should leave", they're going to be irrelevant until they actually achieve their goal of leaving. at which point they will be irrelevant in a new and interesting way, because they will no longer be around and therefore stanning for them will not matter anymore.

so basically the options are obvious bullshit, desperate bullshit, and irrelevant bullshit. bungie realizes this and that's why they're going to get rid of them.

I'm not gonna argue that the factions sucked hard, but I felt that was intentional by Bungie. Making the factions each kinda poo poo in their own way made the world feel that much more bleak and post apoc IMO.

I just dislike how once we got to D2 the factions just became less than window dressing.

Lore wise, the factions should have changed influence a lot, and there could have been interesting story options within. With the Traveler waking up in D2, how would Dead Orbit keep its influence? When the Red War happened, did some of them just peace out and leave the system? Why have we not heard more scheming from New Monarchy? The Speaker is dead his post on the Consensus is vacant, and especially now that Cayde is dead and the Vanguard are still grieving about it, now is the best time to start putting plans in order and consolidating power. I do not remember if FWC foreseeing the Red War is something in past lore, but it should have been. If so, we shoulda seen them grow considerably in influence, culminating in this season.

But no, we are gonna wipe them away. I just lament the lost storytelling potential.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

The only thing that people miss about factions from D1 is that they gave you guns.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
It was bad story telling anyway so there wasn't much potential

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Well, at least they made it feel like the city has some internal life going on. And gave sweet clothes. I think New Monarchy wanted to make Zavala king.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

One of the purple seasonal lore tabs (might have been last week's) had Hideo and Lakshmi turn up to see Jalaal, and they were genuinely making plans to leave. Not 'planning to at some point,' inventorying stuff and getting ships ready.

https://www.ishtar-collective.net/entries/iv-conspirators#book-beneath-the-endless-night

Where they'd go is another question entirely, because if the solar system is completely surrounded as the 2D map implies, everyone is hosed. If their plan is to diversify and settle on other planets, they're also hosed unless they can get guardians to help them fend off fallen / cabal / hive / vex raids. And even then, quite a few factions now have ways of disabling / killing guardians.

Either way the traveller is literally the only safe place in the [System? Galaxy? Universe? Multiverse?] so yeah, their entire point of 'we need to get out of here in case they attack the city' has been rendered moot by the multiple attacks on the city that humanity has survived purely because it had the traveller on its side.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

There’s a vault on earth that used to have a big huge spiderbot fallen enemy in it but I hear it’s been empty for years now (forget why). They could shack up there?

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

FWC has the best branding in the tower.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Mattavist posted:

FWC has the best branding in the tower.

FWC gear with Gloamstrife is the 70s wood panel and aqua/orange/cream I needed in my space life.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I've said it before, and will say it again time and time again, but I'm still constantly disappointed fwc dropped the purple. It went from this super funky 70s thing to a real meh color scheme.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum
The FWC cloak and mark with the Seven Sisters shader is gorgeous. It's a pity the warlock bond is so boring, why isn't it the sweet F logo one you could get in D1.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I haven't played this season at all, what actually is the plot so far beyond "Mithrix and his crew moved in and Lakshmi's really racist"

Kith posted:

I thought they wanted Zavala to be king

Which, considering the job he did during the Red War, lmao

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

RBA Starblade posted:

I haven't played this season at all, what actually is the plot so far beyond "Mithrix and his crew moved in and Lakshmi's really racist"

Which, considering the job he did during the Red War, lmao

With limited spoilers, because spoilers make it dicey re: leaks: Vex put an illusion over the Last City to cause an endless night and the city is getting increasingly Vexy at each weekly reset. Mithrax, as a Splicer (Fallen using tech to harness ambient Light with a focus on Vex), is our best bet to end it so he and House Light got moved into a shelled part of the city. Lakshmi hates it because obvious reasons, and also because a Vex prediction engine in a Vex disaster told her the result of the Vex action would be the most beneficial result for the Vex, ie everyone gets hosed and the blame goes to Mithrax. Weekly plot is going into the Vex system to undermine it, special missions pretty much same, and the story is pretty much parallel stories of Lakshmi strengthening the "hates Fallen" base and proposing action within the City, Mithrax bringing Saint around since the Vanguard put Saint in charge of the Eliksni refugees, and (the actual spoilers) Osiris undermining or outright blocking attempts to bridge the gap between Mithrax and Lakshmi to ensure the tensions stay around.

I think that's the highlights of non datamined things? A bit condensed, but the highlights.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
middle tree strikers r1 can be abused with monte carlo and dunemarchers to fly around the map and murder everyone. highly effective and highly comical in PVP

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

RBA Starblade posted:

i refuse to do anything more than a surface-level reading of their intents because of how utterly stupid their base premise is ("we should resurrect the concept of monarchies") and how almost totally irrelevant they've turned out to be

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

also new monarchy sucks because they bullied hawthorne

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Waroduce posted:

middle tree strikers r1 can be abused with monte carlo and dunemarchers to fly around the map and murder everyone. highly effective and highly comical in PVP

sure but what's an r1

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

RBA Starblade posted:

They wanted Saint to be head of the vanguard because they thought as a mass murderer of Eliksni he'd be easier to control. However the last big lore drop is that Saint was really disturbed to find out that he's the fallen version of the babadook, and a baby fallen ran away from him screaming so he's trying extra hard to turn that around.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Kith posted:

also new monarchy sucks because they bullied hawthorne

Bullying Hawthorne is cool and good though.

I don't remember if Hawthorne ever got more characterization than "mad at the immortal supermen that are the only reason humanity isn't extinct for ... reasons?".

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of
Hawthorne is somewhere between "Guardians suck actually" and "Regular people are capable of half the mundane stuff Guardians are, why are you acting like we're useless?"

She's not wrong.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
I don't think the Red War content ever fully delivered on the "Guardians and normies need each other to succeed" theme very well. It wasn't really clear what the civilians were bringing to the table except maybe some intel, the immortal space wizards still do all of the relevant fighting. And then it never comes up again.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Rubellavator posted:

sure but what's an r1

depends on your control scheme

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Paracelsus posted:

I don't think the Red War content ever fully delivered on the "Guardians and normies need each other to succeed" theme very well. It wasn't really clear what the civilians were bringing to the table except maybe some intel, the immortal space wizards still do all of the relevant fighting. And then it never comes up again.

I wish it did come up again and actually got a treatment worth the time.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Paracelsus posted:

something something about how when guardians lost their powers and immortality, it's like "oh yeah that's what's up for regular people"

so it wasn't really about the player characters, cause we got our poo poo back right away, but about the vanguard, who all went to pieces in different ways, culminating in the final mission where all three of them thought they were about to die

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!
Not content to just let the usual suspects on Youtube post recordings of the new music Bungie went and released a mashup of the major Override/Expunge themes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCBS9eQCmEE

I do respect Bungie's complete commitment to theme this season, from the moment you get Mithrax and crew rescued the game plan becomes 'we're gonna use the Space Magic to make the Internet a real place and then shoot robots in it' and it's just 100% Tron in as many aspects as possible from that moment onwards.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Mazerunner posted:

something something about how when guardians lost their powers and immortality, it's like "oh yeah that's what's up for regular people"

so it wasn't really about the player characters, cause we got our poo poo back right away, but about the vanguard, who all went to pieces in different ways, culminating in the final mission where all three of them thought they were about to die

There was also that line at the end of Lake of Shadows about how together Guardians and civilians can accomplish anything, which doesn't seem terribly connected with what actually happens in the strike.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

Bullying Hawthorne is cool and good though.

I don't remember if Hawthorne ever got more characterization than "mad at the immortal supermen that are the only reason humanity isn't extinct for ... reasons?".

yeah hawthorne became, like

an actual character

she's p. cool

she's also an honorary titan :cool:

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Kith posted:

yeah hawthorne became, like

an actual character

she's p. cool

she's also an honorary titan :cool:

If she keeps up like this she might have Zavala's job someday

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Oh poo poo they are buffing the Sleeper damage by 16.5%. That's not insignificant.

Bideo James
Oct 21, 2020

you'll have to ask someone else about the size of her cans

Mesadoram posted:

Oh poo poo they are buffing the Sleeper damage by 16.5%. That's not insignificant.

hahaha yes yes!

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
pretty sure the new voice actor for Ana Bray is Erika Ishii, which I only know because she's also Valkyrie in Apex Legends, and that character kicks a lot of rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinzla
Feb 11, 2019

I can confirm that the razor kishi, steam link, and destiny 2 are pointless things to try to use with each other. I just don’t see how streaming services with such input lag will ever be a thing.

Is it playable, sure. Does it have a noticeable lag, yes. It’s not massive, but it’s enough to make it feel alien to you.