Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MalleusDei
Mar 21, 2007

JFC. I spent way too long looking for this piece of poo poo. I was moving poo poo around, looking under furniture, etc. I literally picked up the frame and shook it, and it didn't come out of there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

VideoGameVet posted:

I've given up on Semi-Metallic disc brake pads and gone back to organic pads.

Tired of the pads tearing up the rotors.

But you’ll miss the symphony when you brake in the wet.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

highme posted:

Aren’t rotors on the list of hard to acquire parts these days?

There isn't enough steel to make certain bike parts this year. It's been weird.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

SimonSays posted:

Just make more stuff out of carbon fiber :homebrew:

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Safety Dance posted:

Just make more stuff out of carbon fiber :homebrew:

I am actually considering buying a carbon fiber chainring...

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

SimonSays posted:

Was kinda my point. I know there are shortages of lots of wear items in lots of different industries (had to wait 3 weeks to get 4 standard rear end bolts from the factory to repair our washing machine) but wasn't sure if rotors were one of the specific bike parts that were hard to get. If they are, I'm much more inclined to not use pads that wear them out quicker. When I had my bike in the shop in January they tried to upsell me on new rotors "If we can find them", but that's my only data point really.

Speaking of rotors, gonna take this chance to ask a question that I've been meaning to ask re centerlock/6-bolt compatibility. Does it matter to the caliper which interface the wheel/rotor uses? IE can I run 6-bolts on my bike that has centerlock currently, provided they're the correct diameter?

highme fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jun 10, 2021

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Pretty sure the caliper won't care provided your hub has the right mounts.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

TobinHatesYou posted:

Presuming you've done the lovely napkin math WRT overall cost savings of longer lasting metallic pads vs longer lasting rotors?

$10 for organic pads from REI. ($20 for the pair)

Rotors? About $30 a pop.

But also I can swap pads (BB7’s) in about 10 minutes.

Also they are quieter.

Part of my issue is that any ride from where I live involves fast descents with traffic lights and/or stop signs and this is on a recumbent that has hit 50+ MPH on these descents (I tend to keep it under 40 for sanity), and I’m between 215 and 220 lbs nowadays.

When I had rim brakes on a similar bike I’d crack rims every 1500 miles or so from the heat stress.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
Anyone have some good tips on how to remove stock grips on a flat bar bicycle?

The park tools video says use an air compressor which isn't super helpful, I just want to pull them off and replace with something cooler.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

highme posted:

Speaking of rotors, gonna take this chance to ask a question that I've been meaning to ask re centerlock/6-bolt compatibility. Does it matter to the caliper which interface the wheel/rotor uses? IE can I run 6-bolts on my bike that has centerlock currently, provided they're the correct diameter?

All disc hubs have the same target rotor offset, except for some early fat bike standards. That said, chances are you'll need to tweak the caliper position a bit to fix some rubbing.

skul-gun
Dec 24, 2001
I got this account for Xmas.

Sab0921 posted:

If you have rubber slip-on type grips, squirt a little bit of rubbing alcohol between the grip and the handlebar. Soapy water might also work.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

skul-gun posted:

If you have rubber slip-on type grips, squirt a little bit of rubbing alcohol between the grip and the handlebar. Soapy water might also work.

This worked! Thanks!

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

My brother-in-law and his wife is moving away so they are giving a whole bunch of stuff away. My wife decided to take the washer, the drier, and a hardtail mountain bike...

Now i have 4 bikes (nominally 3 because one is a POS)

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

If you posted in the right thread, does that mean the HT needs fixing?

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

awww gently caress, i meant to post that in the general thread but i may be posting in here trying to fix up the HT.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Sab0921 posted:

The park tools video says use an air compressor which isn't super helpful, I just want to pull them off and replace with something cooler.

The air compressor trick is to either wedge the nozzle between the grip and the bar, or if there's a little hole in the end of a sealed grip put the nozzle in there and blow the other one right off.

If that doesn't work there's also taking a box cutter and slicing the grip and then throwing it in the trash where slide on grips belong.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

EvilJoven posted:

The air compressor trick is to either wedge the nozzle between the grip and the bar, or if there's a little hole in the end of a sealed grip put the nozzle in there and blow the other one right off.

If that doesn't work there's also taking a box cutter and slicing the grip and then throwing it in the trash where slide on grips belong.

The air compressor trick isn't helpful for people who don't own one is what they were getting at.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

EvilJoven posted:

I run these on my DH bike and they made a bigger difference to hand comfort than fork upgrades and padded gloves. I'll never run any other grips. Because there is no wasted diameter for a plastic sleeve like you get with even the ODI rogue grips, the amount of cushioning you get is insane. I love them so much.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

ElMaligno posted:

Now i have 4 bikes (nominally 3 because one is a POS)

I'm currently at 7 so don't feel too bad!

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

EvilJoven posted:

Don't listen to this ignorance. I don't know why anyone would opt to have the majority of their grip be hard plastic. Lock ons are for lazy people.

If you don't have an air compressor you can carefully slide a screwdriver under the grip. Once it's under there, spray some rubbing alcohol inside. You can also insert the screwdriver in stages, spraying alcohol in periodically as you go deeper.
Once that is done, it slides off easy peasy.

To install without a compressor, you can try rubbing alcohol, although it sometimes takes a few days to dry. Another method is to put 4-5 zip ties inside the grip. Slide it on with the zip ties, then use some pliers to pull the zip ties out.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

eSporks posted:

Another method is to put 4-5 zip ties inside the grip. Slide it on with the zip ties, then use some pliers to pull the zip ties out.

I've done it with one zip tie dipped in dish soap, working it slowly around the underside, and wiggling the grip to spread it around. You have to clean up quite a bit, especially if you're trying to reuse the grips right away.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

eSporks posted:

Don't listen to this ignorance. I don't know why anyone would opt to have the majority of their grip be hard plastic. Lock ons are for lazy people.

If you don't have an air compressor you can carefully slide a screwdriver under the grip. Once it's under there, spray some rubbing alcohol inside. You can also insert the screwdriver in stages, spraying alcohol in periodically as you go deeper.
Once that is done, it slides off easy peasy.

To install without a compressor, you can try rubbing alcohol, although it sometimes takes a few days to dry. Another method is to put 4-5 zip ties inside the grip. Slide it on with the zip ties, then use some pliers to pull the zip ties out.

Ergon grips are all use a bolt to go on/off. So they are for lazy people? You’re just be lovely and dumb in a different way. Congratulations!

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Aside from either not tightening them enough or ham fisting the bolts to the point of stripping them lock on grips are dead simple secure and fast.

I've seen slip on grips stretch out too much during install resulting in them becoming immediately unsuable (moreso with cheap ones when putting them on with the compressor), lose grip and slip off at inopportune times, or get stuck completely resulting in the complete destruction of the grip when it needs to be removed. I've never tried the Ourys, maybe they're good to the point of being worth it, but my experience points to lock on grips being vastly superior.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

vikingstrike posted:

Ergon grips are all use a bolt to go on/off. So they are for lazy people? You’re just be lovely and dumb in a different way. Congratulations!

He's not totally wrong, I (a person with alcohol and an air compressor) like Ergon because I'm lazy.

Maybe re-brand lazy as "easy" on this one, we might be saying the same thing.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Grip glue and safety wire is your friend

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Use whatever grips you like, I was just matching Joven's tone. Lock ons are easier to put on, but that's not a good reason to claim regular grips need to be thrown in the trash. It's a tradeoff.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

I got brooks grips for the aesthetics. No other reason, they are lock on, so I guess I'll defend that position to the death - the slide on grippers must pay for their crimes.

Thom ZombieForm
Oct 29, 2010

I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive
I have a thru axle (stock endurace) setup. I took rear wheel off for the first time (to use bike on kickr). Easy! Putting the wheel back on?... not so much. Anyways... finally got it back on. The disc is now rubbing against left side pad enough to halt a good spin in ~5-10 seconds. I've tried taking the wheel off a bit and reseating several times (applying downward etc). Same thing, no apparent wobbling or loose parts. I did gently caress up earlier and used the brake accidentally when the wheel was off (was getting on the kickr for first time... bad instinct) <- that's a no no, right? Could that've caused alignment issues?

I choose to believe I just am not aligning stuff properly but it seems I might need to adjust the pads?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Yeah you hosed it up. Take the wheel back off and use a plastic tire lever to push the brake pads back on each side then reinstall and with the bike the right way up squeeze the lever fully a few times and it'll recenter the pads.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
I've had luck loosening the brake bolts, holding down the lever (with the wheel in place) and then retightening the bolts. After that, I let go of the lever.

I'm down to hear why that's the wrong thing to do though.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Cannon_Fodder posted:

I've had luck loosening the brake bolts, holding down the lever (with the wheel in place) and then retightening the bolts. After that, I let go of the lever.

that's how I always do it too. Never had to remove the wheel but also never had them far out of whack. Squeeze the lever and retighten while holding if it wasn't clear.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Cannon_Fodder posted:

If the pads have moved in farther than intended because the rotor wasn't there, when you replace the rotor you get less clearance than intended. Not always a bad thing but you might get weird pad wear.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Cannon_Fodder posted:

It’s not wrong and is usually good enough to get it right or get you in a good starting point to tweak by hand.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Cannon_Fodder posted:

He said he pulled the lever without the rotor in it. This advances the pistons, so realigning the caliper won't really fix the issue, and if it does it still not addressing the other issue of the pistons being advanced. The pistons are designed to auto advance to adjust for wear, without a rotor in there, they advance too far and close the gap.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I got sent a card of 12 speed Eagle master links instead of 12 speed road/AXS links. They look the same from what I can see without opening the pack but the SRAM site says they’re different. Anyone know what the actual difference is?

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

You've gone through at the back
All 3 workshops I've spent time in use hairspray for fitting rubber grips https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xC9ekyWmQE

Sab0921 posted:

I got brooks grips for the aesthetics. No other reason, they are lock on, so I guess I'll defend that position to the death - the slide on grippers must pay for their crimes.

I just got some Selle Italia Eterna grips that look similar to some of the Brooks ones. They're quite badly designed: the grips themselves and metal end caps need to be bolted on separately (2 different allen key sizes, ofc.) The end caps are held on by the end of the bolt pushing against, and bending, a tiny metal shim, which pushes against the handlebar. Just seems overengineered and unnecessarily fiddly, especially if you need to remove/reinstall them.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

I my experience, hairspray can work quick, but it breaks down over time and turns into a lubricant.
I prefer dry with zip ties, a compressor, or alcohol. Depending on grip type, the alcohol might take longer to dry than hair spray, but it lasts longer. The higher % the better.

I've swapped the same set of grips as many as 5 times with no impact on reusability.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

I got sent a card of 12 speed Eagle master links instead of 12 speed road/AXS links. They look the same from what I can see without opening the pack but the SRAM site says they’re different. Anyone know what the actual difference is?

The plates are definitely a different shape and definitely not the same width.

Havana Affair
Apr 6, 2009
Anyone here have experience of 8 speed Miche Primato cassettes on Campagnolo exadrive hubs? It's the only new cassette you can buy for them. I think the lockring is loosening when I ride it and it ends up feeling like I have a chain skipping on worn cassette. Both are new. The Miche lockring was trash so I'm using the original campy one and tightening it to the tight as hell spec of 50nm. I haven't tried locktite yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Havana Affair posted:

Anyone here have experience of 8 speed Miche Primato cassettes on Campagnolo exadrive hubs? It's the only new cassette you can buy for them. I think the lockring is loosening when I ride it and it ends up feeling like I have a chain skipping on worn cassette. Both are new. The Miche lockring was trash so I'm using the original campy one and tightening it to the tight as hell spec of 50nm. I haven't tried locktite yet.

I've used the 9spd Miche cassette with no issues, fwiw.