Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Altared State posted:

Console FPS players have the false sense of skill because of aim assist.

using a mouse is too easy, just clicking on heads like they're icons, no skill needed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sad question
May 30, 2020

delta force owned

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

itry posted:

There will be a VR game where you get to sit in a mech's cockpit and pull a bunch of levers and press a bunch of buttons. It's only a matter of time.

Vox Machinae has been around for a while and does exactly that. It controls really well, but the game structure itself is very basic.

It has a pully horn so you can honk like a train.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

RGX posted:

Unpopular opinion: video games being easy is a good thing, and makes them easier to enjoy. I have no desire for my leisure hobby to punch me in the dick, and I'm fed up with good concepts for games (indies in particular) being wasted on a misguided desire to chase the "omg git gud" crowd.

I think challenge is kind of what makes video games different than say a movie or a book. Lacking challenge only tends to be an issue in multiplayer games trying to have a broad appeal.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Jun 11, 2021

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019

RGX posted:

I'm fed up with good concepts for games (indies in particular) being wasted on a misguided desire to chase the "omg I can't be inconvenienced in any way" crowd
using a compass to orient yourself in the old thief games was fun, a mechanic like that would never be allowed in modern games.

lurker2006 fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Jun 11, 2021

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Altared State posted:

Console FPS players have the false sense of skill because of aim assist.

This is something mouse users love to tell themselves after being outclassed by better players using a controller. It definitely feels bad, having a way easier and more accurate method of aiming via a mouse and still losing. I say this as someone who uses both a mouse and controller regularly in FPS.

Just embrace the fact that you aren't very good at FPS and have fun anyways because it's a toy. You have a much bigger advantage using a mouse than someone using a controller with aim assist and you still got rekt. Deal with it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

RGX posted:

Unpopular opinion: video games being easy is a good thing, and makes them easier to enjoy. I have no desire for my leisure hobby to punch me in the dick, and I'm fed up with good concepts for games (indies in particular) being wasted on a misguided desire to chase the "omg git gud" crowd.

Why exactly do all games have to be the same thing? Most games offer super easy options and some games are designed around being a pain in the rear end. Idg why the game that is designed around being a pain in the rear end has to cater to to people who whine about having to overcome any sort of challenge. Maybe that game just isn't for you and don't buy it.

"this Lars Von Trier movie is too weird someone make it Michael Bay so I can enjoy it more boo hoo"

itry
Aug 23, 2019

SCheeseman posted:

It has a pully horn so you can honk like a train.

10/10

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

you can beat any game if you just believe in yourself

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I wish people would stop talking about Eden Ring excitedly. Its a fromsoft game so it'll obviously be good you can just pretend its not a thing till its out. I dont think there's a downside to missing out on the hysteria.

(Note i only beat dark souls 2 in 2020, don't expect all adult videogamers to show my level of detachment)

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Not-Soulsborne-Fans: "But it looks exactly the same as the other From games"
Soulsborne-Fans: "Wrong, it has a horse!"

I can't wait to ride that horse.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

It's yet another Dark Souls. But you can ride a horse?

Edit: lol

tuo posted:

Not-Soulsborne-Fans: "But it looks exactly the same as the other From games"
Soulsborne-Fans: "Wrong, it has a horse!"

I can't wait to ride that horse.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Dark Foals

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Anyway crypt of the necrodancer has an actually good soundtrack

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I wish people would stop talking about Eden Ring excitedly. Its a fromsoft game so it'll obviously be good you can just pretend its not a thing till its out. I dont think there's a downside to missing out on the hysteria.

(Note i only beat dark souls 2 in 2020, don't expect all adult videogamers to show my level of detachment)

Oohhhhh

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

still pretty sick of horselikes after rdr2

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Obviously people should be excited for a game if they are looking forward to it, just don't post about.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Obviously people should be excited for a game if they are looking forward to it, just don't post about.

I haven't been on the internet much since the trailer, but your voice dissenting any excitement is literally all I've read online about it.

I'm sick to death of all this anti-excitement for Elden Ring, it's fine if you're not looking forward to it, just don't post about it.

Seriously though, yeah I pretty much agree, its FromSoft, it will be what you expect in that regard (I'll buy it day one like a sap and love it, but never get any DLC because it's too exhausting to imagine going back to etc etc) yada yada yada, cool.

But the fact it's Gurm is actually quite exciting. You (read: I) forget how good the early GoT writing actually was. There's a reason it was the global phenomenon it was, and it's not because she forgot about the fleet or the longest night was too dark.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

!Klams posted:

You (read: I) forget how good the early GoT writing actually was.

:chloe:

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Maybe they meant early ASoIaF.

There's an Elden Ring thread now in Games if you're interested https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3970413

Also, Gurm or no Gurm, it'll probably still be about an anonymous undead collecting souls from old gods/demi-gods/elder things/demons so they can end/continue some mythical era.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Secretariat: Saw his Shadow Twice and Died

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

GRRM is not a good writer lmao

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Also I can't freaking wait to play elden ring and i will buy it day one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
Im excited about Elden Ring! Im gonna post about it and you cant stop me! Im gonna ride a horse and kill big monsters!

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Can you upgrade the horse, and then kill enemies with the horse? Like, put spikes on the horse and ride through. Or kick them with spiky hooves.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Will we get a giant knight chess piece on a stick to bash enemies with?

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

fridge corn posted:

GRRM is not a good writer lmao

You can scoff and snork and AHKTUALLY all you want, butt the dialogue in Elden Ring is going to be better than 99% of other bideo james, and I'm looking forward to that.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

!Klams posted:

You can scoff and snork and AHKTUALLY all you want, butt the dialogue in Elden Ring is going to be better than 99% of other bideo james, and I'm looking forward to that.

its not a hard bar to clear tbf

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

fridge corn posted:

Also I can't freaking wait to play elden ring and i will buy it day one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ha that's nothing. I will preorder it!

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

It's hard to get excited about something that comes out next year and is intended for the mythical next generation consoles, as if anyone can even find the drat things.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

itry posted:

Can you upgrade the horse, and then kill enemies with the horse? Like, put spikes on the horse and ride through. Or kick them with spiky hooves.

Forget that. If I spec into two handers can I pick up the horse and beat monsters to death with it? Bonus points if the horse enjoys it and lends a hand by kicking and biting your enemies.

RGX
Sep 23, 2004
Unstoppable

veni veni veni posted:

Why exactly do all games have to be the same thing? Most games offer super easy options and some games are designed around being a pain in the rear end. Idg why the game that is designed around being a pain in the rear end has to cater to to people who whine about having to overcome any sort of challenge. Maybe that game just isn't for you and don't buy it.

"this Lars Von Trier movie is too weird someone make it Michael Bay so I can enjoy it more boo hoo"

I never said they all have to be the same thing, I'm saying the metric is often skewed, particularly in indie games, towards high difficulty and it annoys me.

You sure seem angry though. Have a lovely day.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Elden Rings looking like every other From Soft game is a very good thing, because they are pretty much the best games around right now.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Space Kablooey posted:

its not a hard bar to clear tbf

Nor is making a good modern sci fi RTS with asymmetric armies, but I'd look forward to one of those too.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

RGX posted:

I never said they all have to be the same thing, I'm saying the metric is often skewed, particularly in indie games, towards high difficulty and it annoys me.

You sure seem angry though. Have a lovely day.

I would contend that most games are skewed towards the easy end of the spectrum and your perspective is skewed because the kind of games goons and other more hardcore audiences go on about are skewed harder than the actual average.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

!Klams posted:

Nor is making a good modern sci fi RTS with asymmetric armies, but I'd look forward to one of those too.

RTS is dead, jim

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo
Whooooooooo Elden Ring!!! Also my dog died let's gooooooo

Space Kablooey posted:

RTS makes less profit, jim

How can Activision release a game without a Battlepass and meme-customization?!?

My balls are full of pee let's gooooooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

itry
Aug 23, 2019

FoolyCharged posted:

Forget that. If I spec into two handers can I pick up the horse and beat monsters to death with it? Bonus points if the horse enjoys it and lends a hand by kicking and biting your enemies.

drat. They better add that to the game or I'm not touching it.