Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

well i respect the word donghua now

hand me a term and i'll use it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

omega

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Larryb posted:

I meant more why we call them “anime” rather than just “cartoons” like we do for nearly everything else animated regardless of its origin.

Also a lot of design choices you see in anime (like characters with big eyes for example) were originally inspired by/stolen from old Disney cartoons to begin with.

This is anecdotal but I've heard japanese people use cartoon for american animation specifically.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Droyer posted:

This is anecdotal but I've heard japanese people use cartoon for american animation specifically.

Huh, I just assumed they called everything “animated” anime over there regardless of where it came from.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Droyer posted:

You mean Americartoonimation

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
If I want a good beat-em-up for the switch and I already got my fill of River City Girls what would y'all recommend?

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Wark Say posted:

If I want a good beat-em-up for the switch and I already got my fill of River City Girls what would y'all recommend?

off the top of my head there's

Scott Pilgrim
Castle Crashers
Double Dragon & Kunio-kun: Retro Brawler Bundle (Although not every game is a beat em up)
Streets of Rage IV
Double Dragon Neon

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Wark Say posted:

Devil May Cry 3

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Wark Say posted:

if you're ok with something shorter metal warriors and battle circuit in the capcom beat em up collection are good

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Mister Facetious posted:

You mean Americartoonimation

In fact I’m pretty sure there are Japanese fansub groups out there that tackle our cartoons/shows just like we do theirs (I wouldn’t be surprised if they had their own weeaboo equivalents as well)

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Larryb posted:

In fact I’m pretty sure there are Japanese fansub groups out there that tackle our cartoons/shows just like we do theirs (I wouldn’t be surprised if they had their own weeaboo equivalents as well)

I would say RWBY getting actual footing in the Japanese market is when we came full circle.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Larryb posted:

Yes theres Westaboos who think things like iCarly is the peak of entertainment and a serious adult romantic drama.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OBj8YzOJY8

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

AlternateNu posted:

I would say RWBY getting actual footing in the Japanese market is when we came full circle.

Where did RWBY first originate anyway? When I originally saw footage of it I assumed it was just a CG anime

Powerpuff Girls was also popular enough in Japan that they eventually made their own adaption of it (which wasn’t too bad from what I remember)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jun 11, 2021

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Larryb posted:

Where did RWBY first originate anyway? When I originally saw footage of it I assumed it was just a CG anime

The Red vs Blue people

They formed their own company based on a joke from their machinima series: Rooster Teeth (read: Cock bite).

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

There is a tonne of American TV aired in Japan and indeed in almost every other country in the world. The US is one of the only countries where watching a foreign TV show would be regarded as unusual

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Mister Facetious posted:

The Red vs Blue people

They formed their own company based on a joke from their machinima series: Rooster Teeth (read: Cock bite).

Come to think of it, I don’t think I’ve actually watched an episode of RWBY. I assume it’s good?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Wark Say posted:

Scott Pilgrim is not actually a very good beat 'em up. It's fun enough, but it's pretty shallow and the RPG mechanics are not very well designed. I'd skip it unless you just want something brainless but pretty.

SoR4 is a great SoR game.

The Capcom Beat 'Em Up Bundle has a pretty solid number of decent to good games in, but they're obviously more oldschool than RCG.

Fight 'n Rage is fantastic and a game not that many people seem to know about.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Larryb posted:

Come to think of it, I don’t think I’ve actually watched an episode of RWBY. I assume it’s good?

It's fine, but I haven't seen the last season or two after android girl is framed for the attempted assassination of an electoral candidate.

Also the diversity of the first two seasons could best be described as... homogenous.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Actually if Double Dragon Neon is on Switch get that, that game rules and I think Wark would enjoy its style

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Larryb posted:

It's not amazing but it's fun. It went through a slump for a couple of seasons but it's getting better again.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Larryb posted:

all i know about it is that a former goon now youtuber made a 90 minute video essay that essentially boiled down to "it's middling, but feels worse than that due to wasted potential"

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Slump meaning Monty Oum died during a hospital checkup due to an adverse reaction and a couple of his close friends who worked on the early seasons left the company because they didn't like the work environment at RT without him there. Also the writing is not very good. I wouldn't say the main series is a dumpster fire but I would say that the spinoff series that just does Chibi animations and the Manga adaptation are much better since the chibi show plays to Rooster Teeth's strength of short banter pieces and the Manga isn't nearly as ugly to look at as the show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3vYbF3_TAk
Take it or leave it wrt JelloApocalypse but his riff on the show does basically sum up my feelings on RWBY. It was around the same point that I fell off of Red Vs Blue as well because I never really cared for the parts where RT's writers tried to tell serious storylines for their comedy series and RWBY felt like it started seeping into RVB.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jun 11, 2021

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Arcsquad12 posted:

It was around the same point that I fell off of Red Vs Blue as well because I never really cared for the parts where RT's writers tried to tell serious storylines for their comedy series and RWBY felt like it started seeping into RVB.

Did RvB ever get any better after completing the time travel arc in seasons 1-4? Tried watching after that and got bored pretty fast.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Oh no, by all accounts it got significantly worse after that.

E: OH wait RvB not RWBY

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jun 11, 2021

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Mister Facetious posted:

Did RvB ever get any better after completing the time travel arc in seasons 1-4? Tried watching after that and got bored pretty fast.

Season 5 was a decent wrap up to the Halo 2 episodes but then you get into the Halo 3 Re-seasons, Reconstruction, Recreation and Revelation. They're "okay" but they hit that block i mentioned about them trying to apply a serious story to a comedy series. Reconstruction is the best of the three but most people remember Revelation because it's the one where Monty Oum joined on and they began adding entire animated sequences for fight the fight scenes.

Then season 9 "The Freelancer Chronicles" was split between Halo Reach scenes with the Blood Gulch characters and fully animated sequences about the AI enhanced freelancers where there was almost no humor, no plot and everyone had anime hair under their helmets.

Season 10 was the last one I bothered with where they went back to Halo 3 to kill the Director, the man that Church's AI was based on (because Church isn't a ghost he's an AI yeah I know) and it was just this dreary slog about how Church can't get over his dead girlfriend.

I tried to watch Season 11 where they switched to Halo 4 but I just couldn't be bothered and now they're on like season 16 or 17 and the original cast isn't even on the show anymore after half of them left Roosterteeth and Caboose's VA was fired for being a trumpist Chud.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

Wark Say posted:

Play Streets of Rage 4 and never stop

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Thanks for the recs! I'll give all the recs a check. I completely forgot the Capcom bundle was on the Switch! :monocle:

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

dogsicle posted:

imagine a world, where you have a new tcg mobage you want to sell. also you want to promote some music from your record label

so you make an anime, but y'know it doesn't *really* need to be about the card game all the time, right? throw some one-off episodes in there about idols and edgy cops and cute sherlock-holmes detectives

zenonzard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35WVzpGEa4o

Hey, rage of bahamut was good and it was also based on tcg lore.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i finished wings of rean

that was actually, seriously the most insane thing tomino has ever directed and i'm kind of amazed people don't talk about it more often because. that entire last chunk. is just a constant stream of unbelievable dialog and narrative choices. and it's actually kind of jarring seeing stuff from garzey's wing recontextualized into things it almost kind of bothers to explain

easily the best of the byston well ovas, much uglier than the dunbine ova but it doesn't try to induce seizures, more interesting fun and finished than garzey's wing, has less dead air than the dunbine tv show and copies some of its best moments, 7/10

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/168964946439307264/853090564844421195/2021-06-11_07-59-06.mp4

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jun 12, 2021

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
was reminded of this so now you get to be, too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZLWFy4pbTY

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7Xvk8Q0Nk8

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/bangdream_gameo/status/1403693201366474756

Bang Dream x Zombieland Saga collab which is great but also still why no Granblue crossover Cygames?

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

SatoshiMiwa posted:

https://twitter.com/bangdream_gameo/status/1403693201366474756

Bang Dream x Zombieland Saga collab which is great but also still why no Granblue crossover Cygames?

It's funny, especially considering Idolmaster and Love Live got a collab with Granblue before Cygames own idol property.

The closest we gotten is this artwork by the GB artist of the PURE LOVE couple

https://twitter.com/granbluefantasy/status/1063091774212603904

Willo567 fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jun 12, 2021

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Whatever happened to the Dorohedoro x Zombie Land Saga collab?

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Wark Say posted:

Whatever happened to the Dorohedoro x Zombie Land Saga collab?

I think it was just a poster.

Speaking of MAPPA collabs, I can't wait for the Chainsaw Man/Zombie Land Saga collab

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Noe I'm wondering how that Gotoubun x Attack on Titan crossover collab went.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
I've been waiting for Netflix to add more episodes of Hunter x Hunter, and I just found out HBO Max has up to ep.100! But it's only dub :negative:

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

BisterdDave posted:

I've been waiting for Netflix to add more episodes of Hunter x Hunter, and I just found out HBO Max has up to ep.100! But it's only dub :negative:

the entire series is on tubi

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Stink Billyums posted:

the entire series is on tubi

oh awesome, thanks for the heads up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

BisterdDave posted:

Also, the HxH on HBO Max has subs, you just have to change it once you drill down into the show. (I was watching it last night, in fact.)