Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

A Strange Aeon posted:

This might be a dumb question but is Peanuts worth reading? Like I know it's very popular or was, but would it be rewarding to read the entire run of it? Newspaper strips I find tricky because of the format--like if you judged Calvin and Hobbes on a dozen mediocre weekly strips instead of as an entire body of work, you'd walk away with an entirely different perception of it. But I don't have the ambition to read every published Garfield strip because I don't think that'd be rewarding.

I know Peanuts was long running, but how full of mediocre weekly strips was it? Is there a good place to start if not at the beginning?

Early peanuts is really good.

If you have a library near you they probably have that complete collection in chronological order that came out a while ago, grab the first book and see how you like it from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

A Strange Aeon posted:

This might be a dumb question but is Peanuts worth reading? Like I know it's very popular or was, but would it be rewarding to read the entire run of it? Newspaper strips I find tricky because of the format--like if you judged Calvin and Hobbes on a dozen mediocre weekly strips instead of as an entire body of work, you'd walk away with an entirely different perception of it. But I don't have the ambition to read every published Garfield strip because I don't think that'd be rewarding.

I know Peanuts was long running, but how full of mediocre weekly strips was it? Is there a good place to start if not at the beginning?

No. It's long past the time it should have been shot in the head and buried outside of town.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

A Strange Aeon posted:

Holy gently caress yes. I think it starts slumping in the 70s, which would be after twenty years, but it's one of the definitive newspaper strips and cultural touchstone for a reason. Feel free to start at the beginning or any of the first decade. Newspaper strips don't have a lot to pick up on.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Duh, yeah read the classic stuff.

Anything published in our lifetimes is garbage though.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

A Strange Aeon posted:

Most of the early years are good. Nothing from the 90s onwards is. 80s is a mystery to me.

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

I don’t remember exact years, but I think the sweet spot for Peanuts is like ten years from the mid-Fifties to the mid-Sixties. The beginning is fun but the strip doesn’t reach its height of existentialism until a few years in. Things begin to slide down when Peppermint Patty is introduced and Woodstock gets a name, and after the early Seventies it’s no longer a solid read day after day.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/zachrabiroff/status/1403431245506301954?s=20

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I know who Fish is!

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Kinda wild their full address is right there.

Though I guess that's how early comics Fandom spread, cold mailing randos from the comments section.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Uthor posted:

Kinda wild their full address is right there.

Though I guess that's how early comics Fandom spread, cold mailing randos from the comments section.

Oh yeah, if you read any old letters pages from comics it's pretty common to have the full address.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

A Strange Aeon posted:

Peanuts absolutely rules.

I have a collection of all the 70s strips and I just randomly dip in and out and they’re great.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/riteshwriter/status/1403418266006016001?s=19

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Final Crisis is still bad.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Even long-running Peanuts could be surprisingly charming in ways other long-running strips never were. I'd say start at the beginning and read until it's not fun.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
There has not been a new Peanuts in over 21 years so even "new Peanuts" is, at this point, pretty old Peanuts. And imo it's fine-- the strip is at its worst inoffensive. Read the old stuff, it's very good, stop when you find yourself getting tired of it, that's the trick for getting through any long-running daily comic strip.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Or just read heathcliff, foxtrot, far side, and 90s dilbert.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
This is the only Heathcliff I've ever read and I don't think I need to read any more (because I have experienced perfection).

https://www.gocomics.com/heathcliff/2017/01/11

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Uthor posted:

This is the only Heathcliff I've ever read and I don't think I need to read any more (because I have experienced perfection).

https://www.gocomics.com/heathcliff/2017/01/11

New heathcliff is loving wild.

https://twitter.com/RealHeathcliffs/status/1351558582479761408

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5x8Ad3VS6cQ

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

At some point the guy doing Heathcliff just decided to shrug his shoulders and go full surrealism. Hearken well also to the Garbage Ape.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/GoFrankGo/status/1403741935903313928?s=20

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/TomTaylorMade/status/1403781054280785933?s=20

gently caress yes.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Hell I'll read that Superman

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Mr Hootington posted:

Final Crisis is still bad.
Counterpoint: Final Crisis is good. The Mary Marvel part is icky, tho.

Wait, "Real Heathcliff" isn't photoshoped???

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Vincent posted:

No. It says it right there. It's real Heathcliff.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Vincent posted:

No it is good.

Unlike final crisis.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Vincent posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKfupO4ZzPs

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Mr Hootington posted:

No it is good.

Unlike final crisis.

Final Crisis has good bits and some great ideas, but it's structurally flawed since nothing ties together cleanly or flows well.

Just like 90% of Morrison's writing.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Is Morrison's DC thing complete? I read and really liked Batman Incorporated back in the day, the one issue about the internet notwithstanding, but never got into the rest of the larger saga.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Gripweed posted:

Is Morrison's DC thing complete? I read and really liked Batman Incorporated back in the day, the one issue about the internet notwithstanding, but never got into the rest of the larger saga.

It got knee capped by the mandated company wide event that introduced the New 52, whatever the hell that is.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

ruddiger posted:

It got knee capped by the mandated company wide event that introduced the New 52, whatever the hell that is.

Wasn't it kind of the other way around? iirc the New 52 was supposed to be a clean break but Morrison and Johns were in the middle of massive years-long narratives on Batman and Green Lantern respectively, so everything from those two families of titles got grandfathered into what was supposed to be this whole new continuity so the stories could continue.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Gripweed posted:

Wasn't it kind of the other way around? iirc the New 52 was supposed to be a clean break but Morrison and Johns were in the middle of massive years-long narratives on Batman and Green Lantern respectively, so everything from those two families of titles got grandfathered into what was supposed to be this whole new continuity so the stories could continue.

It meant Dick Grayson had to abruptly stop being Batman, which I think hosed with Morrison's plans quite a bit. And the other Bat titles couldn't really acknowledge what was happening in Batman Inc.

Lencho
Mar 16, 2012

Random Stranger posted:

Final Crisis has good bits and some great ideas, but it's structurally flawed since nothing ties together cleanly or flows well.

Just like 90% of Morrison's writing.

I really loved what he did on Superman Beyond 3D, but the way it was integrated into Final Crisis was just awful.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lencho posted:

I really loved what he did on Superman Beyond 3D, but the way it was integrated into Final Crisis was just awful.

It was originally fully part of FC. FC was set to be a 12 issue series like the original but Didio thinks 7 is the magic number so the series got cut up and shortened.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

https://twitter.com/amandawtwong/status/1404550994013286401?s=20

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

This is just like my fanfics! Except they don't get kicked out, of course.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Wait, why can't Batman go down on Catwoman? It sounds like the set up to a joke, but I'm guessing the punchline is something lame like "DC editorial".

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

A Strange Aeon posted:

Wait, why can't Batman go down on Catwoman? It sounds like the set up to a joke, but I'm guessing the punchline is something lame like "DC editorial".

They are probably squeamish about having Batman being depicted doing an explicit sex act.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

A Strange Aeon posted:

WB executives, but yeah.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

thetoughestbean posted:

They are probably squeamish about having Batman being depicted doing an explicit sex act.

My guess is they don't want the reactionary headlines from places like Fox News looking to stoke some culture war bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Batman not only eats pussy but is extremely good at it. I've been thinking about this all day and I will not be persuaded otherwise. There's no way he has the same opinions on eating pussy as dj khaled.

https://twitter.com/DC_Animated/status/1404609612150542339