Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Pennywise the Frown posted:

So I bought an HP laptop from Costco maybe 2 years ago and it just died. It turned off and won't turn back on. As far as I know I only had 90 days to return it. Is there anything I can do?

To be honest, the laptop sucked. I wanted a portable one to take to a coffee place with me but also doubled as a media PC. It stuttered doing 1080. I might be able to contact HP and get it fixed but I don't know if I want to go through the hassle of that and pay more than what the laptop is worth (It was maybe $300).

I think I'll just get a new one. Maybe not from Costco but just try to get one personalized that meets my needs. Rugged, can play media, light, smallish, inexpensive.

I've had really bad experiences with HP laptops but cheap ASUS laptops ($500-600 range) have been my last 2 laptops and have lasted for at least 5-6 years. I don't know how things are with microprocessor prices being insane, however.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical

Rugged, can play media, light, smallish, inexpensive.

LOL, good luck.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

FORUMS USER 1135 posted:

Doesn't the concierge technical support cover 2 years? They also have an included 2 year extended warranty for computers excluding touch screen tablets listed on the website.

It should. Pennywise, if you're within 2 years call the number on the website and get it arranged to get your laptop fixed. If you paid with the Costco card then it's 4 years.
https://www.costco.com/concierge-two-plus-two-warranty.html

Evan if you don't want to keep it just get it fixed and pass it off to someone else or keep as a backup or whatever.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

jisforjosh posted:

Speaking of Keurigs and K-Cups, my office staff wanted a Keurig so I got one but does the 'Co sell any of the K-Cups that aren't the plastic ones? There was a brand I used to get when I my roommate had a Keurig, San Francisco Bay, that had compostable cups.

Warning to anyone who has to use a keurig in the office or whatever: If you don't intend to sleep that night, San Francisco Bay coffee is the best choice you have. If you're a normal person and think that sleeping at night is ideal, Stay the gently caress away from San Francisco Bay coffee. I've had issues with that poo poo, even sticking to my 'no coffee after 2pm, only 2 cups per day' rule.

Geodude
Mar 21, 2004

Geodude used Reply to Thread! It's super effective!
LOL yesterday I was in line for membership services and got to watch a fun return attempt.

Someone brought in a protein powder 1/10th full. It looked almost flat empty, but they were trying to return it. The employee scanned it and looked on the computer for a while before turning to them and saying:

"Ma'am, you bought this protein powder in 2019. It's also since expired."

Lady took it back and shrugged like "eh I tried."

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

:siren: Tower fans go on sale for $20 tomorrow :siren:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

FCKGW posted:

It should. Pennywise, if you're within 2 years call the number on the website and get it arranged to get your laptop fixed. If you paid with the Costco card then it's 4 years.
https://www.costco.com/concierge-two-plus-two-warranty.html

Evan if you don't want to keep it just get it fixed and pass it off to someone else or keep as a backup or whatever.

Oh poo poo. I'll try calling them. I bought it with my 'co card. I looked up the serial number and HP only offered a 1 year warranty that expired. I apparently got it around November 2019. My last HP sucked too. Although I had like an 11-13" one maybe 8 years ago that I drunkenly dropped on concrete numerous times while outside in the snow smoking and it still worked.

I just bought this Lenovo Flex 5. I realized that I'll be returning to school this fall and should probably have something reasonable and not the cheapest POS I can find that can play 1080 on my TV. It's a little smaller too so that should help with transport. The laptop I'm typing on now is a Dell gaming laptop which I really like. 2nd one I bought in the past 6 years maybe. Plays almost all games I play on max settings with no problem.

edit: Amazon popped up with this ASURION 4 Year Laptop Accident Protection Plan and I didn't know if I should buy it. I don't know anything about them although the overall reviews are good. I have 30 days to purchase it if I want.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jun 12, 2021

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Okay my mom and I are very interested in this, is this nation wide...

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I'm going on Monday. I hope they have them because its gonna get hot as poo poo here.

Edit: Well they sell them online so hopefully they are that price as well.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

edit: Amazon popped up with this ASURION 4 Year Laptop Accident Protection Plan and I didn't know if I should buy it. I don't know anything about them although the overall reviews are good. I have 30 days to purchase it if I want.

Asurion is a long-time device insurance/protection company. I had a good experience with them many years ago when I paid an extra couple bucks per month on my phone bill and broke my cell phone, but I also now personally think that the extended warranties that a person is offered by the store where you bought the product are usually a bad deal.

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jun 12, 2021

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Asurion is a long-time device insurance/protection company. I had a good experience with them many years ago when I paid an extra couple bucks per month on my phone bill and broke my cell phone, but I now personally think that extended warranties that a person is offered by the store where you bought the product are usually a bad deal.

Asurion is the worst. Please don't give them money.

They use the cheapest parts they can find for repairs. My ex got her phone replaced through them and they sent back a phone that "worked" but was using a poo poo 3rd party screen. They also charge a fuckin grip for the deductible.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Oh poo poo. I'll try calling them. I bought it with my 'co card. I looked up the serial number and HP only offered a 1 year warranty that expired. I apparently got it around November 2019. My last HP sucked too. Although I had like an 11-13" one maybe 8 years ago that I drunkenly dropped on concrete numerous times while outside in the snow smoking and it still worked.

I just bought this Lenovo Flex 5. I realized that I'll be returning to school this fall and should probably have something reasonable and not the cheapest POS I can find that can play 1080 on my TV. It's a little smaller too so that should help with transport. The laptop I'm typing on now is a Dell gaming laptop which I really like. 2nd one I bought in the past 6 years maybe. Plays almost all games I play on max settings with no problem.

If you haven't locked into something yet, check out the Surface Pro. My wife brings hers everywhere and loves it. They run pretty well and are very portable.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Warbadger posted:

If you haven't locked into something yet, check out the Surface Pro. My wife brings hers everywhere and loves it. They run pretty well and are very portable.

That was almost on my list but I ended up getting the one I posted. It'll be here tomorrow. :)

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Is there enough white noise from the tower style fans? I leave a box fan on 24/7 for airflow, but mainly white noise at night to sleep.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

kloa posted:

Is there enough white noise from the tower style fans? I leave a box fan on 24/7 for airflow, but mainly white noise at night to sleep.

It’s not nearly as loud as a box fan. On high it’s probably as loud as a box fan on low imo.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Geodude posted:

LOL yesterday I was in line for membership services and got to watch a fun return attempt.

Someone brought in a protein powder 1/10th full. It looked almost flat empty, but they were trying to return it. The employee scanned it and looked on the computer for a while before turning to them and saying:

"Ma'am, you bought this protein powder in 2019. It's also since expired."

Lady took it back and shrugged like "eh I tried."

This is hilarious and people are shitheaps.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Fwiw you can order the fan online for $19.99 in about an hour that is.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

kloa posted:

It's way too quiet for that. I can run it full blast and still hear the TV on the other side of the house. But for $20 just buy one anyway and turn on that and the box fan and live in a wind tunnel. I've never regretted it.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

What’s so special about the tower fans? Just the price?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

nwin posted:

Dunno, but nothing beats the metal box fans from the 60s-80s.

Nothing.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

nwin posted:

Pretty much. It's a basic, small footprint, minimal frills fan that comes with a remote for $20, or $25 shipped to your door. The same ones I see all the time at Target or wherever for $40-$60. It's the houseware version of the $1.50 hot dog with soda.

Although I think the REAL reason people go crazy for them is that it officially signals the start of summer :c00l:

edit: The fans are different from year's past, they used to be "Cascade" brand but now are "OmniBreeze"

Here's what my store looked like 2 years ago

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jun 12, 2021

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
I need to go to Costco for needs but I have wants:

Needs:
Toilet paper
Paper towels
Dishwasher pods (seriously someone gave my ex dishwasher pods last year before the pandemic took hold and I just ran out this week)

Wants:

New pots and pans set
New plates (If they have them)
Vitamix
Probably some baking stuff? Idk
And probably like 16 other things I will want and will take all my energy not to get

Why must I be responsible :cry:

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

KakerMix posted:

Dunno, but nothing beats the metal box fans from the 60s-80s.

Nothing.

I love those things.

You can still find them too, although the housings are usually plastic now. Just go to walmart or any other big box store.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I bought that $300 HP last year and it sucked rear end. It broke, and I had to buy an extended warranty to get priority so it didn't take 6 weeks to get it back from repair. Then the screen broke a few months later for no reason. Never buy HP, and if you do don't buy a warranty because you're just better off tossing it in the trash and buying another.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

low key sex master posted:

I need to go to Costco for needs but I have wants:

Needs:
Toilet paper
Paper towels
Dishwasher pods (seriously someone gave my ex dishwasher pods last year before the pandemic took hold and I just ran out this week)

Wants:

New pots and pans set
New plates (If they have them)
Vitamix
Probably some baking stuff? Idk
And probably like 16 other things I will want and will take all my energy not to get

Why must I be responsible :cry:

Get it all.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
We're going to Costco in an hour just to get that tower fan thank you I mean there's a few other things we'll pick up of course lol

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

So I just bought a car through the Costco auto program.

I really liked it. I had a couple is cars I wanted to look at and test drive. They let me do that, with like zero pressure. Got a price with about 2 grand off the internet price (or able 7% of the total price) which is probably what I might have been able to get through haggling anyway, but way less stressful. And got 0% financing for 60 months.

Overall a great experience.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Nitrousoxide posted:

So I just bought a car through the Costco auto program.

I really liked it. I had a couple is cars I wanted to look at and test drive. They let me do that, with like zero pressure. Got a price with about 2 grand off the internet price (or able 7% of the total price) which is probably what I might have been able to get through haggling anyway, but way less stressful. And got 0% financing for 60 months.

Overall a great experience.

What'd you get??? (Its ok if you don't wanna say)

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

They got a car.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
I swear by vornado room circulator fans. You basically point it at the wall and it makes a great but not overpowering or eye-drying air current in the entire room.

You can also aim it at yourself if you need to of course.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

BONGHITZ posted:

They got a car.

With free refill?

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

i own one tower fan but y'all are making me want to get a second one, drat

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

With free refill?

I bought a Hyundai through the auto program a couple months ago that comes with 3 years free maintenance so in a way, yes, it comes with free fluid refills.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I like the Vornado better too, and it is so much easier to clean once it gets dusty.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

What'd you get??? (Its ok if you don't wanna say)

Hyundai Ionic Plug-In.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Nitrousoxide posted:

Hyundai Ionic Plug-In.

Nice, congratulations!

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Costco this weekend.

- trash bags (last box lasted me almost 2 years)
- kirkland la croix
- kirkland vitamin waters
- roti-chicken
- chicken thighs
- and the always fun wildcard impulse buy

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Chinatown posted:

Costco this weekend.

- trash bags (last box lasted me almost 2 years)
- kirkland la croix
- kirkland vitamin waters
- roti-chicken
- chicken thighs
- and the always fun wildcard impulse buy

My first trip to Costco shortly after I got my membership in 2013 I bought a box of trashbags. Single guy in an apartment that somehow had no garbage disposal so any food waste went straight out to the dumpster.

8 years later I've finally moved into a house and that box lasted me until the week before I moved out. PBUC

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Enos Cabell posted:

I like the Vornado better too, and it is so much easier to clean once it gets dusty.

Yeah that’s why I am getting another tower fan. I didn’t realize how dusty it was and I couldn’t for the life of me figure out a good way to clean it. The grates at the back should be removable IMO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Trip Report: The 505 chiles are great!

So far, tried with:
  • Mixed Veg (2 tbl to 1 lb veg)
  • Mac & Cheese (2 tbl to 1 box)

By itself, though, a bit plain. Definitely an ingredient.