Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Mesadoram posted:

Oh poo poo they are buffing the Sleeper damage by 16.5%. That's not insignificant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEMdJyY-1K0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
With the buff, Sleeper is going to do about the same DPS as xenophage, assuming you land 100% of your sleeper crits

If you have Actium or Hunter dodge, xenophage does significantly more

Sleeper is still going to be bad. Bungie wants its exotic perk to be "forgiving on body shots".

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I'm super salty at bungie's weak choices for the fashion contest winners

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

hiddenriverninja posted:

I'm super salty at bungie's weak choices for the fashion contest winners

What winners.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

With the buff, Sleeper is going to do about the same DPS as xenophage, assuming you land 100% of your sleeper crits

If you have Actium or Hunter dodge, xenophage does significantly more

Sleeper is still going to be bad. Bungie wants its exotic perk to be "forgiving on body shots".

This makes me rather sad :smith:.

Coldforge posted:

What winners.

:hmmyes:

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

Coldforge posted:

What winners.

Ah, I just assumed the posts they linked in the TWAB were.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
It's so sad what they did to Sleeper, it's such a cool gun and I worked my fuckin' rear end off to get that catalyst when the gun was actually good

Bideo James
Oct 21, 2020

you'll have to ask someone else about the size of her cans
They gimped Sleeper so much just because of Gambit lmao

They've never even touched Xenophage

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Just did some PvP to finally get the catalyst for the Cryogarbage.

If I needed to actually get 50 kills with this thing I think I would have uninstalled the game.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Bideo James posted:

I honestly don't understand why they don't do different balancing for pvp and pve. Even in Gambit, you can just put a % modifier on weapon damage if it's hitting a guardian. I admit this is coming from a "I'm not a coder but I'm sure this coding fix is easy" perspective, but they have already coded in some sort of guardian flag for the vorpal/boss spec/etc mods.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Bideo James posted:

It was people bouncing the beams in such a way that it would do significantly more damage than intended to bosses actually. You're thinking of Queenbreaker.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Sleeper got its first/original nerf during Forsaken because it was a must-have for Gambit. They obliterated its AA and reserves

It got a second nerf during black armory when they got rid of the beam split bounce damage because it made the Hydra too easy to kill

Bideo James
Oct 21, 2020

you'll have to ask someone else about the size of her cans

Arcturas posted:

I honestly don't understand why they don't do different balancing for pvp and pve. Even in Gambit, you can just put a % modifier on weapon damage if it's hitting a guardian. I admit this is coming from a "I'm not a coder but I'm sure this coding fix is easy" perspective, but they have already coded in some sort of guardian flag for the vorpal/boss spec/etc mods.

They have had this since Day 1 Destiny 2 launch

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

Jinnigan posted:

pretty sure the new voice actor for Ana Bray is Erika Ishii, which I only know because she's also Valkyrie in Apex Legends, and that character kicks a lot of rear end

It is. She was very excited to get the part on twitter.

She took over from Jamie Chung, who is an extremely good VA in her own right (She was GoGo in Big Hero 6, among other things).

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Bideo James posted:

If you want a gun that was unfairly sacrificed on the altar of “gambit balance” then Queenbreaker takes the cake

Blog Free or Die
Apr 30, 2005

FOR THE MOTHERLAND
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaTBPkg0XN0

I like how Iron Remembrance set looks like a crab.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Are the Nightfall weapons from the weekly challenges the current week's or random?

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Current week I believe. Same for the trials challenge.

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

RBX posted:

Current week I believe. Same for the trials challenge.

Seems to be from the week they’re assigned — I didn’t run nightfalls last week since I already have a good plug one & wanted an extra hung jury roll, and when I turned in that challenge I got another plug one anyways

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Does anyone have a doc/webpage/Reddit post or anything else that offers a good breakdown of how all the weapon and armor perks work, and how everything kind of works together? I have a friend who is coming into destiny as a new player and they’re just completely overwhelmed. It’s so much to learn with very little in-game assistance. If anyone has a go-to introductory info pot like this I would be much appreciated if you could share it!

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Don't worry about armor and armor mods until he knows what he's doing. Rampage, frenzy, kill clip, and multikill clip are always good perks. So are outlaw, feeding frenzy, and heating up.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Anyon got the numbers on outlaw vs kill vs multikill vs swashbuckler? I need to know which one to keep in my vault never to be used if I have to choose between otherwise identical guns.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

Blind Rasputin posted:

Does anyone have a doc/webpage/Reddit post or anything else that offers a good breakdown of how all the weapon and armor perks work, and how everything kind of works together? I have a friend who is coming into destiny as a new player and they’re just completely overwhelmed. It’s so much to learn with very little in-game assistance. If anyone has a go-to introductory info pot like this I would be much appreciated if you could share it!

try searching for mercules904 on reddit. he's known for doing weapon breakdowns and maintaining a massive spreadsheet about them

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Blind Rasputin posted:

yeah i gotchu

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Dudes these are like the objective worst possible things you could show to a new player

Save those links for 40 more hours of playtime when he has questions beyond, what does impact mean and how do I get an exotic

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Yes please don't worry about spreadsheets and poo poo. By the time it matters he'll know. Just keep armor with 60+ stats and guns with rampage/multikill clip/one for all.

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

Anyon got the numbers on outlaw vs kill vs multikill vs swashbuckler? I need to know which one to keep in my vault never to be used if I have to choose between otherwise identical guns.

Its hard because it depends on what you want to do and what character you're playing as. If you want to be generic rampage is good for everything but really good on smgs and auto rifles. Multikill clip and kill clip is great for scouts and pulses and sidearms because you reload more. In PvE multikill clip is preferred over regular kill clip. Swashbuckler is great if you tend to melee kill/are a titan and is very easy to stack x5 with one melee kill.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Yeah this is all good advice. I mean, don’t discount the new player that actually wants this information and wants to deep dive because they’re liking the game, though. So I’ve told them the short of it (save armor >60, best weapon perks) and also sent them that google doc. Kith, thanks so much! That’s one heck of a doc you got there if you made it yourself its impressive!

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

lol no that's definitely not my doing, i just have it bookmarked

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Does it mess anything up if I skip the weekly story/Epunge stuff on one of my characters if I've done that on the other two? I.e., will they be a week behind on things? Trying to budget my time for the rest of the week.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Kith posted:

lol no that's definitely not my doing, i just have it bookmarked

There’s so much in it I didn’t know it’s kind of amazing.

Edit: some of these weapon perk details are blowing my mind.

Surrounded (on an smg or other close range weapon) if 3 enemies are within 8 meters instantly does more damage than a full stack of rampage or kill clip.

A melee kill grants 5x swashbuckler, which is the same damage as a full stack of those perks as well.

Disruption break works on barrier champions and if you pop their shield with it it gives 50% damage bonus?! Disruption break also stacks like a mofo with other global debuffs (tractor cannon, divinity, etc).

Vorpal weapon on a boss is not as strong as I assumed (15%), but stacks with other things.

One-two punch is just completely bonkers. Normal punch a boss for 350% weapon damage, and stacks. I have to go try a breach and clear—>switch to one-two punch shotgun—>shoot—>punch.

I feel like I’ve been depending on old ways of thinking where rampage/kill clip were king and totally wading by all these meaty kickass weapon abilities.

What are other less appreciated perk benefits/combos that you all prefer?

Blind Rasputin fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jun 12, 2021

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum
If it's like last season, you can catch up the story missions at any time, up to the current week's mission. The only direct benefit is the high-stat lightkin armour you get for doing the expunge step each week.

Also re: spreadsheets and mods and stats and stuff, there was some statistic from bungie a while ago that said you're in the top 30% of engaged players if you actually install mods on armour and select perks on weapons. So don't worry too much about minmaxing as a newbie.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
My buddy has been playing since Taken King and he never once Pressed A to unlock a perk on his D1 weapons or armor ("i'm not really into the RPG stuff I just like to shoot the guns")

He asked me yesterday if there's a way to turn off loot drops because he's already got 1 of each type of gun (like, 1 scout, 1 pulse, etc)

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Those spreadsheets are so illuminating. There are so many special cases like, "This doesn't really do anything on PC," or "This is only 10% as effective in PvP," or my favorite, "This perk breaks if you have abilities that have stacks."

Like, poo poo Bungie. Man. I understand not wanting to intimidate players in dumps of information, but at least a little heads up would be nice.

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

My buddy has been playing since Taken King and he never once Pressed A to unlock a perk on his D1 weapons or armor ("i'm not really into the RPG stuff I just like to shoot the guns")

He asked me yesterday if there's a way to turn off loot drops because he's already got 1 of each type of gun (like, 1 scout, 1 pulse, etc)

It's fascinating to hear about one of these kinds in the wild. What does he normally do in the game? Does he ever complain about something that actually is in the game? Like complaining about shotguns sucking because he only uses a slug and wants a pellet spread kind.

Good on him for finding fun in a game on his own terms.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

My search for the wisest gamer is over

hattersmad
Feb 21, 2015

In this style, 10/6

Blind Rasputin posted:

There’s so much in it I didn’t know it’s kind of amazing.

Edit: some of these weapon perk details are blowing my mind.

Surrounded (on an smg or other close range weapon) if 3 enemies are within 8 meters instantly does more damage than a full stack of rampage or kill clip.

A melee kill grants 5x swashbuckler, which is the same damage as a full stack of those perks as well.

Disruption break works on barrier champions and if you pop their shield with it it gives 50% damage bonus?! Disruption break also stacks like a mofo with other global debuffs (tractor cannon, divinity, etc).

Vorpal weapon on a boss is not as strong as I assumed (15%), but stacks with other things.

One-two punch is just completely bonkers. Normal punch a boss for 350% weapon damage, and stacks. I have to go try a breach and clear—>switch to one-two punch shotgun—>shoot—>punch.

I feel like I’ve been depending on old ways of thinking where rampage/kill clip were king and totally wading by all these meaty kickass weapon abilities.

What are other less appreciated perk benefits/combos that you all prefer?

I run top tree void Titan with synthoceps and a one two punch shotgun. With defensive strike proc’d, I swear I can do decent boss DPS simply by shooting+punching.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Paracelsus posted:

Does it mess anything up if I skip the weekly story/Epunge stuff on one of my characters if I've done that on the other two? I.e., will they be a week behind on things? Trying to budget my time for the rest of the week.

Yeah, that one character will be behind and will have to do all the overrides/expunges/NPC dialogues to catch up. I just spent an afternoon bringing my titan up from week 3.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Finally did D2 vog with randoms, was fun. Wish I dropped the bond, but oh well. Did get mythoclast, vision, vengeance, and the helmet. Got arms and two chests as well, but they weren't what I was hoping for.

Either way, good times. Then finally did master presage and knocked out the cata.

Majere
Oct 22, 2005
Has bungie ever said why they dont put the actual numerical buff instead of using the vague slightly, moderately, increases, etc, terms?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Majere posted:

Has bungie ever said why they dont put the actual numerical buff instead of using the vague slightly, moderately, increases, etc, terms?
it's easier to update the UI whenever they change the values of anything