Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
i only saw it once but i was really underwhelmed by the first kingsman movie; the fight scene in the church, which seemed to be the big setpiece that everyone liked, just seemed like a throwback to the mid-2000s in the worst way:

- difficult-to-follow "shaky cam" handheld camera work
- antagonists are low-effort easy targets (namely, westboro baptist church pastiches). colin firth owns them by saying that he's gay and he has sex with a black guy XD so edgy
- the soundtrack is a song from guitar hero

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

its a very weird setpiece in that colin firth is committing mass murder against bad people who clearly deserve it but also its not really his fault because the bad guy is using evil cell phone vibrations to make him do it

i mean who ever heard of a well mannered englishmen committing mass murder against people because of their barbaric religious practices thats just crazy

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Aglet56 posted:

i only saw it once but i was really underwhelmed by the first kingsman movie; the fight scene in the church, which seemed to be the big setpiece that everyone liked, just seemed like a throwback to the mid-2000s in the worst way:

- difficult-to-follow "shaky cam" handheld camera work
- antagonists are low-effort easy targets (namely, westboro baptist church pastiches). colin firth owns them by saying that he's gay and he has sex with a black guy XD so edgy
- the soundtrack is a song from guitar hero

mark millar

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Laterite posted:

mark millar

counterpoint: the boys made garth ennis good

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
Garth Ennis was always good just a little too edgy at times

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 242 days!

indigi posted:

Garth Ennis was always good just a little too edgy at times

Sometimes way too edgy, and with a reactionary streak here and there, but still good. Especially considering the medium.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

someone gave me Preacher as a goon secret santa thing years and years ago and i still haven't cracked it open

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

it’s good but lots of 90s edgy poo poo. very good examination of male friendships and toxic masculinity

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 242 days!

indigi posted:

it’s good but lots of 90s edgy poo poo. very good examination of male friendships and toxic masculinity

yeah, i think he tends to mess up insofar as his critique of masculinity isn't one he particularly thinks will reform himself or anyone else, so he falls back on his adopted americana hard and some actual really bad and dumb poo poo almost as hard

also his writing and dillon's art are perfect for each other

e: their best work is probably their run on Constantine

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
derp wrong thread.

uber_stoat has issued a correction as of 20:19 on Jun 12, 2021

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
I always get Ennis mixed up with Ellis

They're both capable of good comix but definitely a bit overrated

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Hodgepodge posted:

e: their best work is probably their run on Constantine

for sure

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 242 days!

indigi posted:

for sure

king of the loving vampires! ahahah! :piss:

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
Watching Invincible. I like the idea of a deconstruction of Superhero antics, like PTSD and the actual gore that would happen in this kind of situations.

Not a fan of the animation. It looks like something I would see in a DC cape flick bargain bin at Wal mart for $5.

Walton Goggins is usually the best actor in anything he does, but he sounds like he's phoning it in here, and I don't blame him.

Edit: the title card gag was amusing the first time. Now it is just annoying.

Okuteru has issued a correction as of 07:11 on Jun 13, 2021

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 242 days!
i'd seen some references to a bts meal, but i actually went into a mcdonalds today and it was just ten nuggets and two dipping sauces and no pictures of or reference to what bts actually is and now im not sure who i pity more, the employees who have to try to explain what bts is or the customers trying to understand the answer

Josh Christ
Dec 24, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

indigi posted:

Preacher is the only comic ive ever read that got substantially better when it dropped caring about the plot and just hosed around for a while letting characters interact.

Josh Christ
Dec 24, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Laterite posted:

mark millar

Mark millar adaptations are basically unrecognizable as their source material, because his comics are even worse

Except kick rear end

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Josh Christ posted:

Preacher is the only comic ive ever read that got substantially better when it dropped caring about the plot and just hosed around for a while letting characters interact.

Like Twin Peaks :buddy:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Ennis does edgy stuff a lot but has a soft spot deep down. The bit in Hitman where he just hangs out with Superman on a rooftop having a conversation helping Superman deal with his feelings comes to mind.

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

did anyone make money on the jake paul fight tonight ?

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
comics are garbo

Josh Christ
Dec 24, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Ennis does edgy stuff a lot but has a soft spot deep down. The bit in Hitman where he just hangs out with Superman on a rooftop having a conversation helping Superman deal with his feelings comes to mind.

Even the boys is largely about hughie overcoming trauma and finding someone he loves

Hell, punisher max is an incredibly cold book for good reasons and even then it takes the time more than once to gently poke at how frank feels about the nightmare he's made of his life (not great)

Punisher: Soviet rules btw, it's brokeback mountain but the punisher

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Hodgepodge posted:

i'd seen some references to a bts meal, but i actually went into a mcdonalds today and it was just ten nuggets and two dipping sauces and no pictures of or reference to what bts actually is and now im not sure who i pity more, the employees who have to try to explain what bts is or the customers trying to understand the answer

I don't think "Korean Pop Group" is that hard of a concept to explain or understand.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Whomst among us ever truly understands the inscrutable musical traditions of the Orient

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

WrightOfWay posted:

I don't think "Korean Pop Group" is that hard of a concept to explain or understand.

Korean pop groups are if anything often comically on the nose with their marketing gimmicks.

Josh Christ
Dec 24, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
When I was doing wfh tech support for apple last summer/fall I had my tv muted in the background and somehow it got put on Korean MTV and silent Korean MTV is hypnotic and also perfectly understandable, it rules

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

i find the concept of Logan Paul more baffling than any kpop act

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Judakel posted:

comics are garbo

Wrong!

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Yeah, I'm probably not gonna keep following Invincible after this season. I don't need need to keep watching a show that is riding on gore in Western Animation and the premise "what if Superman, but evil and my OC was his son?"

Okuteru has issued a correction as of 15:27 on Jun 13, 2021

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Forceholy posted:

Watching Invincible. I like the idea of a deconstruction of Superhero antics, like PTSD and the actual gore that would happen in this kind of situations.

Not a fan of the animation. It looks like something I would see in a DC cape flick bargain bin at Wal mart for $5.

Walton Goggins is usually the best actor in anything he does, but he sounds like he's phoning it in here, and I don't blame him.

Edit: the title card gag was amusing the first time. Now it is just annoying.

I watched the first episode and couldn't believe how bad the animation was. I'm a little interested in why the end played out like that, but I might just read a plot summary.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I watched the first episode and couldn't believe how bad the animation was. I'm a little interested in why the end played out like that, but I might just read a plot summary.

It's all up on Wikipedia.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Forceholy posted:

It's all up on Wikipedia.

Ok I read the whole plot and I'm glad I didn't watch it all. I'm sure it's a fun show but only the first and last episodes sound interesting to me.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

the relationship stuff is laaaaaaame

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Just wait for the abortion.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

shrike82 posted:

i find the concept of Logan Paul more baffling than any kpop act

It's astonishing that he keeps failing upwards the way he does.

Josh Christ
Dec 24, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Forceholy posted:

Yeah, I'm probably not gonna keep following Invincible after this season. I don't need need to keep watching a show that is riding on gore in Western Animation and the premise "what if Superman, but evil and my OC was his son?"

By the end of the comic mark has headbutted another goku until the guy's face was concave and also he's been raped specifically because Robert kirkman wanted him to be at his lowest point. I don't think it goes anywhere, just a weird gross scene. Whole book is like that, just like walking dead.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Josh Christ posted:

By the end of the comic mark has headbutted another goku until the guy's face was concave and also he's been raped specifically because Robert kirkman wanted him to be at his lowest point. I don't think it goes anywhere, just a weird gross scene. Whole book is like that, just like walking dead.

I didn't know it was a Kirkman thing. That explains a lot.

Josh Christ
Dec 24, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I didn't know it was a Kirkman thing. That explains a lot.

It has an incredibly strong ending, is the thing. He's got one thing he's very good at and it's writing about Dads and Dad Relationships. Like spoilers for a bad comic that will never get to this part of the comic but the last issue is largely a montage of time passing since...I think it's a war with the other Gokus, but it's mark getting older and starting a family and raising a daughter, and the end of the book is Mark remembering his fight with his dad and "what will you have", and it's just really sweet, and the actual fight with his dad is heartbreaking, and if he would write that stuff instead of just ramping up insane bullshit nonstop or doing gimmicks like surprise releasing a new book without soliciting it which means it's impossible to restock once it instantly sells out it'd be great

Walking Dead ending abruptly with like four more issues "solicited" complete with fake covers ruled tho.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

the Star Wars prequals involved the CIS fighting a republic that transitions into an empire.

what does it mean

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

so im leaving infinity war on the background on cable and i just realized you dont even have to go to endgame to find support for supermechagodzillas doctor strange deliberately murders tony stark theory of the movie in the battle that literally happens right after doctor strange is looking at alternate futures theyve got thanos pinned down and starlord fucks it up by melting down when he realizes that gamora is dead

its wild how many epistemological problems the movie creates with that one stupid scene that only exists to pointlessly invoke the whole million to one chance cliche