Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Brought To You By posted:

I'm just going to go with this even though we've seen people get put in frames for just standing still so is them freezing up also a violation of the rules?

I think that tracks! This chapter says you’ve got one second to make your 24 frame movement so taking a second to stop and think sends you right to frame hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

TheHan posted:

I think that tracks! This chapter says you’ve got one second to make your 24 frame movement so taking a second to stop and think sends you right to frame hell.

I'd say Dagon's first appearance with Naobito was odd because Dagon wasn't making any movements just looking at Nanami's crew from behind a pillar. Your situation applies to when Choze got frozen in a frame while turning around to see where Naoya had moved too but stopped turning when he realized he'd been flanked. And that also makes me wonder whether Naoya couldn't have put Maki in a frame when he tapped her shoulder moments before his attack. Like he touches her but then doubled back to punch her at his top speed, yet it doesn't seem like he activated his technique nor noticed it failing to activate before she molly-whops him because being put into a frame is an instant action and she's still in the 3D realm while he's mentally calling her an imposter. Was she already moving at 24fps or was he just that confident she wouldn't be able to react to him?

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
I think with Maki at the end of this chapter at least we’re seeing them both move at 24fps. Naoya was activating one 24fps after the other to increase his speed to ridiculous levels, under the presumption that Maki would never be able to fulfill the 24 movements condition. After he hit Maki with a 24fps Naoya’s first 24fps ends, and he activates a second 24fps to come strike the presumed frozen Maki. Can’t take a second to stop and assess things so by the time Naoya’s on frames 1-4 Maki’s on frames 20-24 coming at him.

For the Dagon example, Naobito is already taking to everyone before Dagon freezes. Going by this chapter you can include a 24fps restriction in your own 24fps action so I assume he noticed Dagon, immediately jumped over to slap ‘em and then Dagon missed his one second window to perform a 24fps action.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Important news.

https://twitter.com/TCBScans/status/1402521217479987204

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i wish they'd have taken a break sooner if it is that bad.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i wish they'd have taken a break sooner if it is that bad.

He might have thought it wasn't that bad earlier. I mean, I'm not saying it's how things really work, but I can't help but think of Bakuman, and the plotline where the artist is hospitalized, editorial is telling him to sit on his hands because they have enough artists dying at the desk already, and he's still trying to get art paper smuggled in because he can still work!

When you're starting out in Jump, you need to nail your mark every week or people forget you and you get canned. Once you've got a success in modern jump, you can take time off, especially if your health is hurting, but even if editorial makes it clear that sick weeks are fine (and even if Jump seems better about that recently, there's enough old horror stories that I'm not assuming too much in their favor), it's easy for people to think they can just power through right until they can't.

It's a tough job. I'd imagine that anything that goes wrong spirals fast.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The industry has not really improved if someone's general health can decline to the point they have to take a month off to not die.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I mean, doesn't Oda take a week off of every month to actually avoid this?

Also jesus gently caress, it's been a month since Miura-sensei left us for the big, horrifying non-euclidean castle in the sky, you'd think people would take that as a wake-up call.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I doubt just anyone would be afforded the same treatment oda gets

maybe the popularity explosion this series has enjoyed after the anime would be enough for that but you really can't compare anything to one piece

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

with how many series Shonen Jump and the like run at a time, you'd think they could round robin breaks in for teams and authors

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I'm sure they could but I doubt they'd do it of their own volition

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
It's worth noting that according to this unofficial Twitter, the wording implies it could take longer

https://twitter.com/WSJ_manga/status/1402525116358139904?s=19

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Time is a flat circle for mangaka.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Fabricated posted:

The industry has not really improved if someone's general health can decline to the point they have to take a month off to not die.

It's a big improvement over not getting that month off.

It's the same as saying it's an improvement they only need to amputate, instead of it being terminal. It's better than it used to be, but that says more bad about the previous state of things than good about the new one.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Wark Say posted:

I mean, doesn't Oda take a week off of every month to actually avoid this?

Also jesus gently caress, it's been a month since Miura-sensei left us for the big, horrifying non-euclidean castle in the sky, you'd think people would take that as a wake-up call.

He only got that when he got so sick he was in actual danger of dying. The manga industry and especially Shonen jump is really messed up , to the point I would actually argue it's worse than the animation industry there.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
It seems a bit stupid in that cycling out the series in it so people can have a rest let's then publish more stuff to sell volumes of

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Jose posted:

It seems a bit stupid in that cycling out the series in it so people can have a rest let's then publish more stuff to sell volumes of

No, it doesn't. Since the same number of chapters would be published, that means the same number of volumes. (Maybe less, if they're cycling in more one-shots). What's more, they'd be cycling out series that can sell millions, like JJK or One Piece, to cycle in (at best) less popular series like Dr. Stone, or (more likely in the current environment) outright losers like Bone Collection and Our Blood Oath.

It also makes managing the magazine much more of a logistical burden, both for the publisher and for the readers, who have to memorize a schedule to figure out when the series they care about are around.

You can see just how much the physical printing plays into things by looking over at Jump Plus, which basically lets writers set their own schedules, ranging from weekly-with-breaks for Kaiju 8 to "when it's ready" for Choujin X.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Nah, it really wouldn't be that difficult to publish like 25-50% more series and just give the mangaka a regular week-off. Oda gets it, everyone else should too. Figure it the gently caress out and gently caress anyone dumb enough to not understand a preprinted schedule. If it makes volumes take a couple extra months to come out, tough poo poo.

I want manga less frequently made by mangaka/assistants who get paid more and get time off and I'm not kidding.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I mean you could just make series bi-weekly, keep the same page count, and already that right there would be a game changer.
EDIT: this idea is no different than what they do with Jump offshoots, but still. Keep Shonen Jump weekly, with series alternating.

Yeah you could do better but also, if there's a baby step you can take you might as well take it.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Manatee Cannon posted:

I doubt just anyone would be afforded the same treatment oda gets

maybe the popularity explosion this series has enjoyed after the anime would be enough for that but you really can't compare anything to one piece
Oh, I wasn't trying to compare them to Oda because... well, realistically, who the devil (:haw:) can size up to Oda? He's probably the most successful comic-book writer in the last quarter century by like a mile.

But I definitely think that, given how badly some of the heaviest hitters in the industry have been affected by basically overworking themselves to sickness or even death that maybe giving mangaka some flexibility/wiggle room in their schedules might be good for their health and continued improvement.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Speedscans

https://onepiecechapters.com/manga/jujutsu-kaisen-chapter-152/

Short chapter, but a wrap up of the current storyline with a note from Gege.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

poo poo, Gege wanted to wrap up the series ASAP?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I think he said the end of the shibuya incident was the halfway point?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I think in a recent interview Gege said the series had maybe 2 years left or so by their estimates.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
The official translation.

https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/jujutsu-kaisen-chapter-152/chapter/22643?action=read

Maki went and hunted down the Hei and Kukruu members that were not home.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

The official translation.

https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/jujutsu-kaisen-chapter-152/chapter/22643?action=read

Maki went and hunted down the Hei and Kukruu members that were not home.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpllUQ38CKY

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
:drat: Naoya: I'd feel bad for you having a lovely, pathetic death but, well, you had it coming, you little turd!

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
lmao Naoya doesn’t even get the dignity of being killed by the successor to Toji

And after the initial wave of disappointment I like that the creator’s looking to tell their story and get out. Too many Shonen muddy up a strong story by massively decompressing the beats but JJK is such a tight read. And I would like to see them live.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
The Zenin clan is like two people at this point.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

I Am Fowl posted:

The Zenin clan is like two people at this point.

Yeah Megumi and Maki.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Isn't Tsumiki (Megumi's big sis) also a Zen'in?

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Wark Say posted:

Isn't Tsumiki (Megumi's big sis) also a Zen'in?

No, she's his half sister. Toji married a normal lady who already had a daughter after he left the clan.

I mean I guess Megumi could make her one but why would he.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

i mean maki also isn't a member of the clan

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Aurora posted:

i mean maki also isn't a member of the clan

She kept the name and wanted to take over the family. She’s more of a Zen’in then Megumi.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

A Sometimes Food posted:

No, she's his half sister. Toji married a normal lady who already had a daughter after he left the clan.

Step Sister but other then that yeah.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

MonsterEnvy posted:

She kept the name and wanted to take over the family. She’s more of a Zen’in then Megumi.

it's the same logic as 'tsumiki isn't a zen'in'

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

A Sometimes Food posted:

Oh, had forgotten about that part completely.

Then yeah, given how rotten the Top of the Jujutsu Society are, I'm of the mind that Megumi would want her out of it.

Alas, that might not happen, given the recent developments. :sigh:

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Isn't the Gojo family recognized as a top one just because of Satoru...? To be fair he's more than enough for one family.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
The six eyes are inherited within the Gojo clan right? I think they've always been a big deal but Satoru is the biggest of deals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

TheHan posted:

The six eyes are inherited within the Gojo clan right? I think they've always been a big deal but Satoru is the biggest of deals.

IIRC, Six Eyes and The Limitless are both inherited. Satoru is special because he has both at once and they synergize well.