Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

Xenocides posted:

Same.

I might try out:

How can I help you fellow human?

Non-gendered, establishes equality, and if someone is offended it will be because they are convinced they are a horse or a dragon or an anime character in which case offending them is okay. Then aliens show up and it gets crazy all over again. Probably why those UFOs don't make contact. Waiting for us to sort out our titles for speaking to each other to some bare minimum before introducing primitives to a larger world.

How's "it" going my fellow normal human person? Enjoying being a human on 3rd planet from Sol, doing regular human activities, right, my fellow human?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Colonel Cancer posted:

How's "it" going my fellow normal human person? Enjoying being a human on 3rd planet from Sol, doing regular human activities, right, my fellow human?

Greetings fellow minimally sentient organism. It is fortunate that there are not much brighter superior aliens amongst us judging us for our stupidity isn’t it fellow barely-not-an-ape person. We should go eat a salad together made out of the unborn children of trees and dirt dwelling shrubs. Then enjoy a main serving of bovine remains that was only marginally less intelligent than we are. Then we can vote an orange sub-human in as our supreme leader and wear stupid looking red hats.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

“Best friend” or “friendo” is pretty funny. As an Australian I have access to “mate” but it can be hard to wield in a way that people don’t (mis)interpret as belligerence. I use “matey” with people who I want to take the wind out and make them feel like tiny stupid dirt piles. “Valued client” is an excellent way to make clear to someone what I think of their intelligence in an unambiguous and unassailable way while dehumanising them down to their contract.

If you use someone’s name to address them, you can do it a little more frequently than is needed for disambiguation that can be a very useful channel for emotional content, and it you wait a couple seconds like you forgot their name that’s a pretty good fish slap.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

The first time a little kid called me 'Sir' I instantly aged forward 30 years and hair sprouted out of my ears and nose

June 4 2021
Jun 4, 2021

by Pragmatica
Wow, people who say sir/ma'am are EXTREMELY precious people.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
We use manners to show people we have respect for them. The kids today are quick to point out BUT I DONT AUTOMATICALLY FESPECT ANYONE but then are the first to admit their lives and everyone around them suck, and never make the connection.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

GORDON posted:

We use manners to show people we have respect for them. The kids today are quick to point out BUT I DONT AUTOMATICALLY FESPECT ANYONE but then are the first to admit their lives and everyone around them suck, and never make the connection.

That poo poo, like most vacuous politeness, is just decorum and not actual respect. The amount of times people have been outwardly "polite" with their social rituals while being utter cocks in tone or behavior was virtually impossible to count while I worked retail.

Young people these days have more respect for people who have been shat on traditionally and are less likely to practice superficially polite poo poo that doesn't communicate respect so much as a brainless adherence to social mores.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

GORDON posted:

Respect is earned, not given. You can be courteous and have manners while talking to your boss, even as you're filing a claim to hr with evidence of their law breaking.

Assuming you weren't being festicious.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Someone: *is kind and polite*

Goons: lol what the gently caress just tell everyone upon meeting them to suck and lick your fat rear end hole manners is all made up anyway

Vice President
Jul 4, 2007

I'm number two around here.

FoolyCharged posted:

Nah, MDs stole the term. PHDs had it first. Anyone that insists being called Dr. Outside of a professional environment is either excited about finally getting done with school or a colossal wank to be avoided.

I learned from watching ER that in england they call surgeons "mister" and doctors "doctor" but I also learned from watching Scrubs that surgeons are big knifey doofuses so I'm glad doctors stole the title.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
If calling people sir pisses you off that badly then call people sirrah. If they don’t play dungeons and dragons they won’t know what it means. What it means is you’re of a higher social station than them, and you are speaking to your inferior. Alternately, suck it up you little drat bitches, it’s not even a thing.

Vice President
Jul 4, 2007

we need to bring back "master" as a title like how Alfred calls Batman "Master Bruce" all the time even though Batman is like in his 40s or 50s.

June 4 2021
Jun 4, 2021

by Pragmatica
*thinks saying sir/ma'am is bad*

Replies: *creates a character who's only relevance to anything is its size relative to the bruise on their ego* You want to KILL people who say sir/ma'am!

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I think sir and ma'am are old and kind of irrelevant but I'd rather be called either than "love" or "beautiful" or whatever.

It's a sliding scale for greetings, and it goes pretty low!

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Where does fuckface fit in?

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

FoolyCharged posted:

One better than calling somebody "sweetheart".

Vice President
Jul 4, 2007

FoolyCharged posted:

it's what anyone from the south means when they say "well bless your heart"

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

FoolyCharged posted:

Respect is earned, not given. You can be courteous and have manners while talking to your boss, even as you're filing a claim to hr with evidence of their law breaking.

Assuming you weren't being festicious.

There are two kinds of respect. There is the kind you should give to everyone unless they really do something bad. Then there is the kind that has to be earned where you value the person’s counsel and want to help them. Abusers conflate the two to suggest that because they are generally owed the former they should get the latter too. They also often insist the latter is owed to family in perpetuity.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I call people "Cumblart Mallshart"

Failing that I call them "Qyumztayn"

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

“Bitch” or “little bitch”

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
I call them cum receivers

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
To be clear, only when the moment calls for decorum

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
For younguns I call them seed of your house

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

Fallen Hamprince posted:

“Bitch” or “little bitch”

Some guy at a dive bar took umbrage at me playfully referring to my dad as a little bitch one time. He threatened to beat the poo poo out of me for, I dunno, having a close relationship with my dad? I told him I would not hit him regardless of what he did to me. Suddenly my dad showed up from out of nowhere. He and the other barflies surrounded the dude like a white blood cell attacking a virus, and he was instantly gone. I’m now glad I put all my points into charisma.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Nigmaetcetera posted:

Some guy at a dive bar took umbrage at me playfully referring to my dad as a little bitch one time. He threatened to beat the poo poo out of me for, I dunno, having a close relationship with my dad? I told him I would not hit him regardless of what he did to me. Suddenly my dad showed up from out of nowhere. He and the other barflies surrounded the dude like a white blood cell attacking a virus, and he was instantly gone. I’m now glad I put all my points into charisma.

Good dad. Does he grill?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Vice President posted:

I learned from watching ER that in england they call surgeons "mister" and doctors "doctor" but I also learned from watching Scrubs that surgeons are big knifey doofuses so I'm glad doctors stole the title.

*mister five*

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Saturday we were out shopping and as we were leaving a woman walked past me going towards the store and dropped a bracelet as she was fishing her mask out of her pocket. It dropped to the ground and she didn’t notice. I picked it up and said “ma’am?” a few times until she turned around and thanked me profusely and we went about our day.

What the gently caress else am I supposed to say in that situation? “Hey!”? Just ignore it like an rear end in a top hat?

June 4 2021
Jun 4, 2021

by Pragmatica

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

What the gently caress else am I supposed to say in that situation? “Hey!”? Just ignore it like an rear end in a top hat?

https://i.imgur.com/JVRKjI2.mp4

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Sir, I can't help you in anyway. Is there anything else I can help you with today?

June 4 2021
Jun 4, 2021

by Pragmatica
Sir/Ma'am?

More like Sirk ma'dick

feller
Jul 5, 2006

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

Saturday we were out shopping and as we were leaving a woman walked past me going towards the store and dropped a bracelet as she was fishing her mask out of her pocket. It dropped to the ground and she didn’t notice. I picked it up and said “ma’am?” a few times until she turned around and thanked me profusely and we went about our day.

Yo clumsy lady or you, female!

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Hairless ape is a perfect gender neutral way to refer to people you meet.

June 4 2021
Jun 4, 2021

by Pragmatica
Wishy-washy is a pretty good descriptor some times.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

I am also impartial to "landlubber"

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

"citizen"

June 4 2021
Jun 4, 2021

by Pragmatica
A Little Lord Fauntleroy

I'd certainly consider death If i was called that

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Listen, fat

June 4 2021
Jun 4, 2021

by Pragmatica
Hen of the Woods

LOL, instant death

Ventral EggSac
Dec 3, 2019

I think instead of maam it should be naan, that is better, more tasty.

Then for sir we have kaak, of course

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
I insist on being called 'Daddy'