Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Captain Hygiene posted:

All those rock music greats started out making all-time great music at crazily young ages that definitely don't make me feel like I've done nothing with my life, in no way at all, why would you even ask

Toby Fox was 23 when Undertale when Undertale was released.

Lilnasx is 22.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I meant his career was in the 60's when I assumed it was the 50's and this does not look like a man in his 20's

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Buddy Holly lived to the ripe old age of 22

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Captain Hygiene posted:

All those rock music greats started out making all-time great music at crazily young ages that definitely don't make me feel like I've done nothing with my life, in no way at all, why would you even ask

Hey, hey. There there

Nobody asked

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

rodbeard posted:

I meant his career was in the 60's when I assumed it was the 50's and this does not look like a man in his 20's

He's perpetually 65 to me. I was shocked when I found out how old he was too.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Tom Lehrer posted:

It's people like that who make you realize how little you've accomplished. It's a sobering thought, for example, that, when Mozart was my age, he had been dead for two years.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Does being dead inside count?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Drug dealers/traffickerss on the run or in hiding don't carry a lot of cash so it's not very lucrative to rob them and whoever is aiding and abetting them.

The authorities will not look too kindly on you either.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

MariusLecter posted:

Drug dealers/traffickerss on the run or in hiding don't carry a lot of cash so it's not very lucrative to rob them and whoever is aiding and abetting them.

:rip:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

MariusLecter posted:

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

I just learned from this youtube video that Jujubes are not only a candy but also a deciduous tree/shrub. I imagine the candies are named after the fruit given their similar appearance.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

MariusLecter posted:

God, it’s been five years I don’t even want the $20 back anymore

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Shifty Nipples posted:

I just learned from this youtube video that Jujubes are not only a candy but also a deciduous tree/shrub. I imagine the candies are named after the fruit given their similar appearance.

It’s an A‐tier fruit, but I would have never known that if I hadn’t had some right off the tree. I was at a nursery and I bought the tree on the spot.

They fruit is easy enough to find dried, where they’re sometimes called “Chinese dates”, but those just aren’t the same. Nor are the fresh ones when I’ve found them at supermarkets. Those are picked too early.

IMO they’re best like this, mostly brown but not yet drying out.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

The band The Mighty Mighty Bosstones name is a third wave ska play on the fact that they are from Boston

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

a kitten posted:

The band The Mighty Mighty Bosstones name is a third wave ska play on the fact that they are from Boston

:aaaaa:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Did they actually confirm that at any point or was it just an impression that you got

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Stuff I can't believe I just figured out - the Mighty Mighty Bosstones had like a dozen albums and were together for over 20 years.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

They just released a song about George Floyd, and it is very not good. Unless you like cringe in which case it's great.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

rydiafan posted:

They just released a song about George Floyd, and it is very not good. Unless you like cringe in which case it's great.

They are quite old and whoever they hired for the music video really grifted them. Unless they had control over that mess and signed off on it and all.

Woof.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Did they actually confirm that at any point or was it just an impression that you got

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Thanks to this thread I just learnt that "haloumi" is actually a kind of cheese and not a fried cheese dish.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Hyperlynx posted:

Thanks to this thread I just learnt that "haloumi" is actually a kind of cheese and not a fried cheese dish.

Just out of curiosity, what kind of fried cheese dish did you think it was?

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
Halloumi is drat delicious. I like to fry little cubes of it to sear them brown and then add them to pasta in tomato sauce instead of meatballs. It's also drat fine fried in strips and put in a sandwich like bacon.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
It turns out Maddox was better than Lowtax.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

lol

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

Not a high bar to clear

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
From a while back but it popped into my head:

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

A "social gadfly" is a person who interferes with the status quo by asking the difficult/annoying questions that other people usually avoid asking, and spurs society into confronting difficult issues in the same way that a gadfly biting a horse will spur it into action.

For some reason I always assumed it was a carefree person who spent a lot of time at dinner parties, "gadding about" socially

Are you sure you're not thinking of "social butterfly" instead? Because I don't think I've ever heard that expression using "gadfly."

ITT we debate types of flies, some of which are not technically flies.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Trabant posted:

Are you sure you're not thinking of "social butterfly" instead? Because I don't think I've ever heard that expression using "gadfly."

The term's real, it's got a wikipedia page and everything! I wonder if it was a specific response to the 'butterfly' term or not, the writeup isn't specific about that.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Just out of curiosity, what kind of fried cheese dish did you think it was?

Just a piece of cheese that's been fried. I thought fried cheese, from a Greek restaurant, was called Haloumi. I've eaten it, it was nice.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Fffffffffffffffuck.

I was just playing Super Mario RPG with a friend. We fought the first boss. His name is Mack. He's as knife.

He's Mack the Knife.

gently caress ME I've played this game a million times how come I never cottoned to that. gently caress.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Trabant posted:

Yeah that'd probably explain it, I no doubt heard "social butterfly" somewhere and then later on heard "social gadfly" and got the two confused

The gadfly isn't even acting social!!! It should be called the antisocial gadfly!!! :argh:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Silver Falcon posted:

Fffffffffffffffuck.

I was just playing Super Mario RPG with a friend. We fought the first boss. His name is Mack. He's as knife.

He's Mack the Knife.

gently caress ME I've played this game a million times how come I never cottoned to that. gently caress.

Mack the Knife is a song for people like me that don't get this

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Len posted:

Mack the Knife is a song for people like me that don't get this

Also Mac Tonight was a McDonalds character who sorta aped the aesthetic of the Rat Pack/50s crooners with a surreal twist, and Bobby Darins signature song was a cover of Mack the Knife.

Failed Imagineer has a new favorite as of 09:15 on Jun 14, 2021

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

Failed Imagineer posted:

Also Mac Tonight was a McDonalds character who sorta aped the aesthetic of the Rat Pack/50s crooners with a surreal twist, and Bobby Darins signature song was a cover of Mack the Knife.

My favorite version of that song is Ella Fitzgerald in Berlin: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vXAtVbZbkI She even starts by saying "I hope I can remember all the words," and of course, she doesn't.

"Oh what's the next chorus / to this song now / this is the one now / I don't know" is just part of the song for me now.

Also, she does a pretty great Louis Armstrong impression in that one.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

beats for junkies posted:

My favorite version of that song is Ella Fitzgerald in Berlin: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vXAtVbZbkI She even starts by saying "I hope I can remember all the words," and of course, she doesn't.

"Oh what's the next chorus / to this song now / this is the one now / I don't know" is just part of the song for me now.

It's a surprisingly hard song to sing even though it's an easy song to sing.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.
Because I may never get the chance to post it again, here's Die Moritat von Mackie Messer sung by Bertolt Brecht himself.

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013
Some show or podcast that I don't listen to has a segment where a musical artist covers a a classic song or just something they like. It's called "Like a Version".

It took me explaining this out loud to get the joke.

(the songs in question if anyone was curious)
https://open.spotify.com/playlist/28oY1vSsipRE5VOyLDQqed

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

3D Megadoodoo posted:

It's a surprisingly hard song to sing even though it's an easy song to sing.

The original is ok but the Darin version has like 5 key changes so it's a hump

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

beats for junkies posted:

This is great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Hokkaido Anxiety posted:

Some show or podcast that I don't listen to has a segment where a musical artist covers a a classic song or just something they like. It's called "Like a Version".

It took me explaining this out loud to get the joke.

(the songs in question if anyone was curious)
https://open.spotify.com/playlist/28oY1vSsipRE5VOyLDQqed

It's the Triple J breakfast show, Triple J is the Australian-government funded youth broadcaster here. I've aged out of knowing any of their music but Like a Version is great. I recommend Regina Spektor doing Radiohead's No Surprises, and Denzel Curry doing Bulls on Parade

When Straight Outta Compton came out, they were banned from playing gently caress The Police, and in protest they played Express Yourself nonstop until the government caved. Now they have a sample of gently caress The Police in the intro to their news minute, so they play a little bit of that song on the hour every hour between 6am and 5pm every day.

Memento has a new favorite as of 23:04 on Jun 14, 2021