Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Does Xenomorph kill Goofy's son or something idk I haven't played KH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

multijoe posted:

Who is that guy

Someone from a game series that is worse than final fantasy

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Nomura is just going to create the nomuraverse final fantasy linking all his SE projects together.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Ojjeorago posted:

Xehanort from the prequel to Versus XIII.

isn't that luxord? you know what i don't even care

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Also it looks a lot like Cor Leonis from FFXV

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Nomura is just going to create the nomuraverse final fantasy linking all his SE projects together.

"going to"?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I haven't played a KH game since KH2 but I'm still glad the series exists and even though I will never catch up at this point, it still makes me happy to watch it get wilder and weirder with every installment. It's good

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

mistaya posted:

I like big, colorful, recognizable costumes and I am a little sad FF seems to be moving away from them. Though 16 has me hopeful.

we probably could have avoided this if "belts and zippers" hadn't become a powerful dogwhistle among insufferable nerds for two decades

taichara
May 9, 2013

c:\>erase c:\reality.sys copy a:\gigacity\*.* c:
Eh, I thought Jack looked more like Jake from Exvius, specifically from the second arc when he chopped off all his hair. There's a through-line in here somewhere but I haven't found it yet.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

lf only you could talk to the Chaos, then perhaps you could try and make friends with Chaos, form alliances... Now, that would be interesting.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Nelson Mandingo posted:

lf only you could talk to the Chaos, then perhaps you could try and make friends with Chaos, form alliances... Now, that would be interesting.

:toughguy:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I'm glad FF has been going more and more into Dudes Rock territory ever since 15. It should continue this way forever.

I'm still waiting for them to gently caress. :colbert:

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Nelson Mandingo posted:

If I could talk to Chaos, the only thing I'd say is "I'm going to kill you Chaos!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!".

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

mistaya posted:

I'm mostly just curious why he wants to kill CHAOS so badly. What did CHAOS do to you Jack?

Japanese message boards have a theory...

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I feel like we're just learning that Nomura's stuck on one 'grizzled man' face that he keeps recycling when he needs one, and it's just that this is the only time he's decided to make one the protagonist. I bet when Cid turns up in the VII remakes he'll look the same, too.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Cleretic posted:

I feel like we're just learning that Nomura's stuck on one 'grizzled man' face that he keeps recycling when he needs one, and it's just that this is the only time he's decided to make one the protagonist. I bet when Cid turns up in the VII remakes he'll look the same, too.

This is a pretty bold leap from a single tweet going "there was also a guy with short blond hair in a different Nomura game"

Worklurker
Jan 2, 2014
I hope no one was looking forward to a hd2d remake of the first six games.
https://mobile.twitter.com/RPGSite/status/1404371360491659271
Because there won't be one.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Snow Cone Capone posted:

This is a pretty bold leap

Shocked Pikachu face

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

another collection of FF games to throw in the trash and just emulate the better versions

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

grieving for Gandalf posted:

another collection of FF games to throw in the trash and just emulate the better versions

This is also a pretty bold leap off "the character sprites are still slightly different"

I'll be pretty happy if I can play FF6 on my phone with updated-but-not-egreiously-ugly sprites, without loading a GBA emulator and applying multiple patches to a ROM

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Square-Enix doesn’t really care about old FFs aside from rereleasing them to shut up the west. Old FFs are not as popular in Japan, at least compared to Dragon Quest.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Worklurker posted:

Ugh they just look so smooth and textureless. Also they're all whiter for some reason.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Snow Cone Capone posted:

This is also a pretty bold leap off "the character sprites are still slightly different"

I'll be pretty happy if I can play FF6 on my phone with updated-but-not-egreiously-ugly sprites, without loading a GBA emulator and applying multiple patches to a ROM

they're ugly. I ain't gonna play ugly versions of these games

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I wonder how much of this is due to different tech (i.e. no longer being on CRTs) and how much of it is a natural art shift for the artist.

Either way, just releasing old versions with new sprites isn’t enough to get me to buy them. They need to do something impressive.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Worklurker posted:

It's... Fine. Better than what's currently available to buy at least. It's a drat shame Square doesn't seem interested in investing any real time or talent into making them live up to their potential though.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
That FF1 warrior sprite would look really good for a game released in 1990 on the SNES, which i guess is the aesthetic they're going for here... eh. I guess the PSP versions will remain the gold standard for remakes of old FF games.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

This is a pretty bold leap from a single tweet going "there was also a guy with short blond hair in a different Nomura game"

Yeah, the tweet is obviously just having fun with generic nomura faces.

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011
maybe I'm an idiot but those all look totally fine to me. definitely better than the previous 5 and 6 ports at any rate

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

stev posted:

It's... Fine. Better than what's currently available to buy at least. It's a drat shame Square doesn't seem interested in investing any real time or talent into making them live up to their potential though.

While I agree that they're uglier than the originals, I think "we got the original sprite artist to redo them" is a decent investment of time and talent vs. just outsourcing to another studio

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

dracula vladdy AF posted:

maybe I'm an idiot but those all look totally fine to me. definitely better than the previous 5 and 6 ports at any rate

the new versions of the sprites look hella flat and textureless to me, but I'm the loser that still plays the SNES games all the time

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Yeah they're better than the previous attempts which just looked like rpgmaker trash. But there are still little things that annoy me, like how stiff and wooden they look. Look at Terra's arm, it's perfectly straight. The originals look more loose and relaxed.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Worklurker posted:

the fighter sprite is a strict upgrade, change my mind
angry eyes are back on the menu baby

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
They still look like RPG Maker sprites, just slightly less so than the previous bad phone ports.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I actually like the new sprites, honestly. The girls with ponytails especially have a nice bit of implied motion to them, which is fun. And while Locke looks a little bit pastel-y, I feel like they might be using it to free themselves from the graphical limitation that they only had about four sprite palettes to work from; they removed that weird brown on Locke's shirt, for example, that was only there because he had to share a palette with Cyan and Shadow and there just weren't enough greys on it.

The weirdest one on that graphic is the FFI Warrior, but that's because they're only comparing the PS1-onward version and the new one, and the new one is actually completely ignoring the PS1 sprite and is instead based on the original FF1 sprite.

EDIT: Also, new Faris looks more than ever like she wants to start knocking motherfuckers out, which as far as I'm concerned is the appropriate Faris Vibe. They did well at using the hair to hint at a scowl.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jun 14, 2021

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

https://twitter.com/RPGSite/status/1404372492504940549

lmao now this is dogshit

e: I love how it immediately gives away the fact that Faris is a woman because she doesn't have angry eyebrows

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jun 14, 2021

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

The sprites for 4-6 look actively worse than the originals, though admitedly we've barely seen how the games will look. But the biggest problem seems to be that they look really flat.

Maybe someone can mod in different sprites in the future, like this person is doing for the current steam version of FF5

Frionnel fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jun 14, 2021

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Frionnel posted:

The sprites for 4-6 look actively worse than the originals, though admitedly we've barely seen how the games will look.

Maybe someone can mod in different sprites in the future, like this person is doing for the current steam version of FF5

Those FF5 sprites look like poo poo IMO, even worse than the crappy Android port versions

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Snow Cone Capone posted:

even worse than the crappy Android port versions

I disagree with this completely, but i also didn't use the word better. I do appreciate that person's effort though, it must be a ton of work.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

they're fine I guess, not amazing but not dramatically worse either.
the FF6 ones are the only ones that make me raise an eyebrow at a bit, they might be too bright-colored to match the game

Augus fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jun 14, 2021

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Frionnel posted:

The sprites for 4-6 look actively worse than the originals, though admitedly we've barely seen how the games will look. But the biggest problem seems to be that they look really flat.

They should probably stop what they're doing...

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I don’t really mind the new sprite work. It looks more than fine to me. What has me curious though is apparently FF3 using a hodgepodge of tile sets from every other game. The world map is from VI, the airship is from V, what appears to be IV dungeon tiles...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Augus posted:

the fighter sprite is a strict upgrade, change my mind
angry eyes are back on the menu baby

the GBA sprite has more detail and includes shadowing, giving it depth

Bartz and Faris are like this too. in Bartz's original sprite, the arm furthest from the player's perspective is darker hue, implying shadow and giving you a better concept of where that arm is in relation to the other arm. it's further away! in the new one, it's the same color so it looks more like he's turned his body like he's turning his torso towards us for some reason

you can hardly tell in Faris' new sprite that she has layered clothing. it looks like she just has a green shirt on. in the older sprite, you can tell she has a kind of shawl over her clothing

Rosa's changes also just make her more pale, take detail away, and give her bigger tits. thanks a lot!