Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 243 days!

heehee posted:

ok apparently giving yuna strength also makes her aeons way stronger jesus christ lmao

its a little known fact that Japanese game developers are telepaths who have no clue that people can't figure this stuff out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

heehee posted:

the cliffside fight yea. i think i'll just have to grind for AP on the enemies right before the fight because i hosed up the sphere grid pretty bad not thinking about/knowing what i was doing for the first half.

are you playing on the international sphere grid? my memory is that, besides kihmari, the sphere grid is actually pretty linear until the post game unless you do something crazy like get an early unlock, but my understanding is that every port of it opens things up a little more from the get-go

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

yeah the original sphere grid is really hard to screw up for quite a while, and not usually by this boss unless you've been grinding like crazy, but by then your party stat gains should be good enough overall

your biggest risk is kimahri's solo bosses but even then they scale to his stats

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D

Bicyclops posted:

are you playing on the international sphere grid? my memory is that, besides kihmari, the sphere grid is actually pretty linear until the post game unless you do something crazy like get an early unlock, but my understanding is that every port of it opens things up a little more from the get-go

it's the hd ffx/x-2 remake on xbox if that's what you mean. and by hosed up i just mean i unlocked every node for everyone when i got to it because i had a bunch of spheres, so i got some useless stuff and ran out of spheres when i got further into the game (and had fled from a lot of fights which was prob the main thing i hosed up lol). all good now though this epic yuna strat is op as balls.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
i think only kimarhi can jump sphere grids without high level keyspheres or teleport spheres. being underleveled is surprisingly brutal because node quality starts going way up, and it's hard to suss out if you're over or underleveled just from looking at the sphere grid. the difficulty starts to ramp up after shiva, and skyrocket once you get to gagazet though. it's when the game gets crazy fun

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I got the tude now posted:

i think only kimarhi can jump sphere grids without high level keyspheres or teleport spheres. being underleveled is surprisingly brutal because node quality starts going way up, and it's hard to suss out if you're over or underleveled just from looking at the sphere grid. the difficulty starts to ramp up after shiva, and skyrocket once you get to gagazet though. it's when the game gets crazy fun

that's in the original US release, the HD remakes use the newer sphere grid that's a little more open. FAQs used to call it the "international sphere grid," i think because the european versions released with it.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
you can choose between "expert" and "standard" sphere grid in this version and i have no idea what i chose lol

e: looked it up im pretty sure i chose standard

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

that's in the original US release, the HD remakes use the newer sphere grid that's a little more open. FAQs used to call it the "international sphere grid," i think because the european versions released with it.

you gotta choose it i think, my replay of the HD version was the same as the ps2.

heehee posted:

you can choose between "expert" and "standard" sphere grid in this version and i have no idea what i chose lol

e: looked it up im pretty sure i chose standard

i'm pretty confident you did, the expert version looks completely psychotic and you have to go out of your way to select it.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
looking it up bicyclops is right, the standard sphere grid is expanded for the hd/international version, but it's just some extra nodes and paths, not any major changes in progression. the expert starts you in the center like khimari for every character.

in conclusion, you cannot gently caress up the sphere grid except for khimari but the devs already did that by making him terrible. Except you can use him to get rikku's steal and use since she's such a latecomer but he doesnt have mix so he ends up collecting cobwebs.

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

this game is gonna be so sick

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

AverySpecialfriend posted:

Hearing rumors of HD-2D ff6 :staredog:

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

Thanks! Unfortunately it doesn't mention ff6 at all in the article, just 4. (And 4 already got a 3d remake on the ds so my guess is it's just that.)

Edit: I read it wrong, the 3d version of ff4 was always on mobile. I guess they just specify its the 3d one now, but to me that just means they'd be bringing the 2d version over. I hope I'm wrong of course

Ugh looks like I was right unfortunately lol

https://twitter.com/rocco_botte/sta...ingawful.com%2F

Dr Hot Wheels
Jun 11, 2021

American McGee's Crazy Door

Neurotic Roleplay posted:

this game is gonna be so sick

The whole time I watched the trailer I felt like I was looking at a WiiU game and I got so excited about it. Bless Team Ninja

teppichporsche
May 11, 2019

https://twitter.com/rpgsite/status/1404371360491659271?s=21

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!
New models look bad. Boo

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

those look like bloomed out trash

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
seems like a weird solution to old sprites only looking good on crt displays.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

I sort of get it in that the original sprites were made with CRTs in mind and there's probably some stuff you'd do differently if you were starting from scratch today. But it isn't a big enough style difference to be worthwhile and it seems like they just wanted to make the mobile artists feel better by using their lovely washed out color schemes.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

why does New Faris have less detail than Old Faris
why does everyone look like they have a spotlight directly on them

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

P-Mack posted:

I sort of get it in that the original sprites were made with CRTs in mind and there's probably some stuff you'd do differently if you were starting from scratch today. But it isn't a big enough style difference to be worthwhile and it seems like they just wanted to make the mobile artists feel better by using their lovely washed out color schemes.

yeah it’s the color difference between the original and new that’s so jarring.

are they going to keep the original mobile ports available or are these replacing them?

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

yeah it’s the color difference between the original and new that’s so jarring.

are they going to keep the original mobile ports available or are these replacing them?

Or maybe they'll replace the old mobile ports with the new, at no charge, says the imp who bought the mobile version of FF6 without knowing how awful it is

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The hardest boss is the optional one that just automatically wins when it attacks unless you have a summon out

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

i guess th big thing is that ff3 nes is going to be available in english now. that's cool, i guess, even if i never want to ever play it again

mkvltra
Nov 1, 2020

Black August posted:

why does New Faris have less detail than Old Faris
why does everyone look like they have a spotlight directly on them

Fighter has one leg

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
YOU CAN SEE ME, CAN'T YOU? THEN WHY ARE YOU IGNORING ME!?

mkvltra posted:

Fighter has one leg

He always did

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

That’s not his leg.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Fungah! posted:

those look like bloomed out trash

yeah. I'm loving angry, lol. was hoping we'd finally get a version of final fantasy on steam that wasn't filtered through paint nite. emulators it is, I guess

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The new sprites are good enough for me.

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

Bongo Bill posted:

The new sprites are good enough for me.

don’t settle for this bongo bill

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

don’t settle for this bongo bill

The problem I have is that it's not on Switch.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

The new sprites look like they're ripped from terraria lol

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

haha

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

que sera sera
Aug 4, 2006

Bongo Bill posted:

The problem I have is that it's not on Switch.

At the end of Nintendo's direct they will announce that final fantasys 1-6 are currently available for download, and on sale. amen.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

que sera sera posted:

At the end of Nintendo's direct they will announce that final fantasys 1-6 are currently available for download, and on sale. amen.

:pray:

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

que sera sera posted:

Amen

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!
Imp magic do your thing

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

we at nintendo understand that gamerkind is having a tough summer. we have conquered the square enix offices and will be releasing the good versions of all the final fantasy and dragon quest games for switch, and, what the hell, also for playstation consoles.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Bicyclops posted:

we at nintendo understand that gamerkind is having a tough summer. we have conquered the square enix offices and will be releasing the good versions of all the final fantasy and dragon quest games for switch, and, what the hell, also for playstation consoles.

playstation has rejected the offer

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

a Loving Dog posted:

Imp magic do your thing

Everyone in Imp Zone loaning our Imp Magic to que sera sera like a spirit bomb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

elf help book posted:

playstation has rejected the offer