Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
The ad is cute, but for people who actually fall into that ultra-nerd group it really just reinforces the "an iPad Pro can't replace a full computer yet even though you really want it to" problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
You still have to dig out all that stuff when you run up against the thing or two that the iPad can’t do. But now you also have to spend half a day each time installing updates because the stuff hardly ever gets powered up.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Roadie posted:

The ad is cute, but for people who actually fall into that ultra-nerd group it really just reinforces the "an iPad Pro can't replace a full computer yet even though you really want it to" problem.

What’s a computer ?

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Duckman2008 posted:

What’s a computer ?

The thing Apple wants to sell you in addition to the iPad.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Looking forward to them updating the mini non computer:

https://www.frontpagetech.com/2021/06/11/exclusive-first-look-at-newly-redesigned-ipad-mini-6/

tl;dr it’s a small iPad Air again

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

That’s sick. A mini with the pro form factor is going to be a big hit.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
The mini has been traditionally the iPad I buy my kids. Not enjoying the creeping prices on these things lol.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Disappointing Pie posted:

The mini has been traditionally the iPad I buy my kids. Not enjoying the creeping prices on these things lol.
At least in the US, it's been the same price since the 2nd gen.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Disappointing Pie posted:

Why wouldn’t you just buy the cheaper base iPad? The mini is a niche product.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
The iPad Mini is the iPad for people* who want a better ebook reader that can also be used for some other basic media consumption purposes and maybe some writing, and then realize over a couple of months that actually it's not significantly better in any way than a big phone for media consumption, it's too small to be practical for any productive work or hobby stuff, and it's an actively worse ebook reader than even the cheapest Kindle.

* me

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Roadie posted:

The iPad Mini is the iPad for people* who want a better ebook reader that can also be used for some other basic media consumption purposes and maybe some writing, and then realize over a couple of months that actually it's not significantly better in any way than a big phone for media consumption, it's too small to be practical for any productive work or hobby stuff, and it's an actively worse ebook reader than even the cheapest Kindle.

* me
I use a small phone, use the iPad mini for productive work and hobby stuff, and don't read books on it :colbert: (but do other basic media consumption)

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Roadie posted:

* me

I dunno a mini with pencil support could be a great note taking device. If only Scribble supported more languages…

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
The iPad mini also has a big business base of customers who wants the small iPad for taking their payments. Not saying those customers are clamoring for an update , but probably couldn’t hurt.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I don't even own a mini :smug:

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
God I’m so excited for the new mini. I’ve nearly pulled the trigger on trading in my current mini for an Air multiple times but decided to wait it out, and I’m glad I did.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Duckman2008 posted:

The iPad mini also has a big business base of customers who wants the small iPad for taking their payments. Not saying those customers are clamoring for an update , but probably couldn’t hurt.

Really? I've never ever seen a POS use an iPad mini.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I've seen some real POSs use them actually. Vacation pictures are the most common scenario.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
The new iOS Home Screen is now a giant idiot mess of widgets and wasted space.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

AlternateAccount posted:

The new iOS Home Screen is now a giant idiot mess of widgets and wasted space.

The people wanted widgets and now you got em. :v:

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Jose Oquendo posted:

The people wanted widgets and now you got em. :v:

Thanks. I hate it

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Just don’t use the widgets op

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

hatty posted:

Just don’t use the widgets op

Yeah, I just started using folders. Get with the (old) times.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Jose Oquendo posted:

Really? I've never ever seen a POS use an iPad mini.

I’ve seen a few. Also starting to see more restaurants use them for severs.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Seen many food trucks use iPads mini. It’s really a great form factor. I have a mini 2 that I still occasionally use for reading in bed, but mostly as a noise machine now, since it’s pretty slow. A smaller bezeled version will be really nice

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Most of the POS setups I've seen either use the cheap iPad or some generic Android tablet if they want something smaller. I've heard of the iPad mini being used by some doctors and pilots cause the size :shrug:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I had the misfortune of having a stopover at Newark airport and all the restaurants and food servers used ipad minis to order and it was janky as gently caress, lol. This was a few years back hope they worked the kinks out.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Sri.Theo posted:

I dunno a mini with pencil support could be a great note taking device. If only Scribble supported more languages…

A mini with Pencil support currently *is* a great note taking device. A mini with Pencil 2 support would be perfection.

The Pro is still unbeatable for content creation (artwork, music), and I'd probably still prefer the larger screen for document review and PDF annotation.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I decided to pick up the Magic Keyboard for my new Pro and gat drat I didn’t realize just how nice this thing is. I really am liking this and will probably be using my 2015 MBP less and less now. This makes me even more excited for Capture One to come to the iPad next year.

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan
I need to get a waterproof and drop resistant case for my iPad air 4th gen A2324. I don't see a lifeproof case that will fit my iPad, anyone have recommendations?

Aino Minako
Dec 16, 2007

Perpetual rage elemental

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I decided to pick up the Magic Keyboard for my new Pro and gat drat I didn’t realize just how nice this thing is. I really am liking this and will probably be using my 2015 MBP less and less now. This makes me even more excited for Capture One to come to the iPad next year.

To provide my own Magic Keyboard endorsement and anecdote: one week ago i spilled a gin and tonic next to my magic keyboard, and it got on the 4 leftmost columns of keys. (`123, Tab QWE, etc.) I dabbed it up as best I could, but didn’t stop using it. After it dried up, the keys were really stiff and sticky. However, as of today, it works as good as new. The responsiveness, resistance, and the backlight of the affected keys are totally fine. YMMV, but Apple definitely took into account liquid damage when designing this thing. (I doubt it’s as impervious as the Smart Keyboard, though.)

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Happened to me and I was perfectly happy with my laptop before I got this and I haven’t opened it since then.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 27 days!
Man the Affinity apps on iPad are oddly disappointing. The interface is very small, especially on iPad Pro with no way to increase the size. I get that means there is more space for the art, but it means some buttons are barely 10 points wide with no label and a tiny symbol.

There are still weird UI bugs and few feature updates since release. I feels like the Affinity team doesn’t dog food the iPad apps or they are stretched too thin.

It’s still way better than dealing with Adobe and their BS. (Photoshop and Illustrator are still basically just lite versions).

beuges
Jul 4, 2005
fluffy bunny butterfly broomstick
I have a 3rd gen iPad Air which has recently developed ghost taps in one specific area of the screen (when holding in portrait mode with the home button at the bottom it’s about 2cm from the bottom and 1cm from the right). It’s out of warranty, so is there anything I can do to fix/reduce it? Would putting on a screen protector help at all? Or can the screen be recalibrated or something to reduce the sensitivity?

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Pulcinella posted:

I get that means there is more space for the art, but it means some buttons are barely 10 points wide with no label and a tiny symbol.

It also doesn't help that half the icons are some variation of a camera aperture. Their UI team is just brutally terrible.

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan

The Gardenator posted:

I need to get a waterproof and drop resistant case for my iPad air 4th gen A2324. I don't see a lifeproof case that will fit my iPad, anyone have recommendations?

I ended up getting a few Shellbox cases from amazon for $35:

https://www.amazon.com/Shellbox-Case-Waterproof-Protective-Shockproof/dp/B08YWSCNS4

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

FYI the 4th gen Magic Keyboard is the deal of the day on Best Buy. $150 off, $199 total. This is functionally compatible with the 2021 model it's just a little snug (and it doesn't come in white).

So if you want the magic keyboard but... don't want to drop $350 on a magic keyboard this is the deal for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsuj3tk_Rzc&t=262s

quick youtube video (timestamped) showing the 2021 iPad Pro on it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

FYI the 4th gen Magic Keyboard is the deal of the day on Best Buy. $150 off, $199 total. This is functionally compatible with the 2021 model it's just a little snug (and it doesn't come in white).

So if you want the magic keyboard but... don't want to drop $350 on a magic keyboard this is the deal for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsuj3tk_Rzc&t=262s

quick youtube video (timestamped) showing the 2021 iPad Pro on it.

This is a fantastic price for a fantastic keyboard case. I love mine.

coke
Jul 12, 2009
cheers for that

got one for the folks who usually leave it on the table anyway, hopefully this is more ergo than poking at the screen and getting gorilla arms

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Thanks for that, I’ve been on the fence between the magic keyboard and the plain smart folio- this makes it an easy choice.

I’ve been using an old smart folio to hold my new one for just hauling around the house/setting down and aside from blocking the camera it works fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Dumb question sorry; does iPad Pro work with a normal cheap USB-C dongle for HDMI out?