Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you hitting monsters with?
Bow
Charge Blade
Dual Blades
Great Sword
Gunlance
Hammer
Heavy Bowgun
Hunting Horn
Insect Glaive
Lance
Light Bowgun
Longsword
Switch Axe
Sword and Shield
View Results

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

The standard quests and final boss are very doable solo.

G rank deviants and hypers, not so much. But thats optional stuff.

So I'm not missing out on anything that doesn't already have (weaker, basic) representation in the game in some form or another?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
Yeah everything has a regulsr version you can fight. Hypers do give parts for new armors though. And some armors are very good, like hyper jho. So you'd need a group for that. But you can beat the final boss without that stuff.

The deviants are fun to check out. The HR deivants require you to beat them 10 times to unlock their g rank quests, so yeah dont waste your time on that. There are new g rank only deviants though. And i think to unlock bloodbath you just need to beat the gr only ones once each.

Oh I forgot one of the GR urgent quests was lao shan lung. Which is a pain in the rear end to solo. I watched a guide and managed it tho.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
aight I can probably get a goon squad together for those no problem, so long as the rest is doable. I was gonna be bummed if I ran into a brick wall prematurely. Thanks!

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

yeah the stuff in mhgu that isn't really intended for solo in the least also happens to be some of the more aggravating content and not really that big a deal if you just end up not doing it

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

G rank deviants and hypers, not so much. But thats optional stuff.
feasible? no

possible? yes :getin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3dEYS4Z31s

Johnny Joestar posted:

yeah the stuff in mhgu that isn't really intended for solo in the least also happens to be some of the more aggravating content and not really that big a deal if you just end up not doing it
yeah, not to mention you'll get several hundred hours out of the game before engaging with any of that stuff

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jun 14, 2021

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

gently caress Lao Shan Lung for being an urgent though.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
https://twitter.com/monsterhunter/status/1404561796829229056

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

yes.

YES.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

this raises a lot of questions

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Human <--> Felyne
Wyverian <--> Palamute?

:thunk:

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Good lord Valor charge blade is fun as hell

DrHammond
Nov 8, 2011

Valor everything is a lot of fun.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Valor HBG was fun, can confirm

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Valor everything is a lot of fun *if* you are good with the weapons.

It's an interesting style, because it's incredibly powerful if you're already good at the game but incredibly bad if you're not :v:

DrHammond
Nov 8, 2011

I'd argue that Valor LS with it's instant counter is both stronger and easier than other LS styles. I guess you do have to keep uptime though, which might be a struggle if you're not strong with the weapon.

dividertabs
Oct 1, 2004

The Switch Axe Gauge seems to have 3 distinct states:
  • short axe
  • long sword with half-bar
  • long sword with a full bar
Is there anywhere I can read the explanation for this? What causes it to sometimes enter the first 2 states? How do I either prevent it from doing so, or get it back to the 3rd state?

dividertabs
Oct 1, 2004

How is the plot in MH Stories? Is it as ignorable as the plot of the mainline games? If not, is it any good (unlike the mainline games)?

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
The story in stories is very much aimed at kids. So it's not great by any means.

But the game isn't about the story its about riding your qurupeco named toots mcgee into battle

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

dividertabs posted:

• short axe
Is there anywhere I can read the explanation for this? What causes it to sometimes enter the first 2 states? How do I either prevent it from doing so, or get it back to the 3rd state?

The 'half bar' thing means that if you try to switch into sword mode, you'll do a manual reload beforehand, which is slow. Build more meter in axe mode first.

JackGeneric
Apr 23, 2008

[Witty observation]

dividertabs posted:

• short axe

• There are two meters; the inner meter is the switch gauge, the outer meter is the activation gauge.
  • Using sword mode drains switch gauge. If you completely drain the bar, you'll be forced back into axe mode.
  • There's a little notch in the switch gauge; trying to morph into sword mode when it's below that notch will replace the morph attack with a reload animation. That'll add some switch gauge, but the animation long and you don't want to do it by accident.
  • Landing attacks in sword mode builds activation gauge. When the activation gauge is full, your attacks will create small explosions, which have different effects based on with Phial the weapon has.
  • If the activation gauge isn't full and you're in sword mode, you can hit X+A to stab and then mash X to create a series of small explosions followed by a large explosion in front of you. If the activation gauge is full, hitting the monster with the stab will cause you to latch on and focus those explosions on one body part. However, you're not invincible during while grappled, so don't do it willy-nilly.

dividertabs
Oct 1, 2004

dividertabs posted:

• short axe

I am asking about the 3 states here:

not about the status of the inner meter which displays whether you can switch to the sword, nor the Amped gauge

JackGeneric
Apr 23, 2008

[Witty observation]

dividertabs posted:

I am asking about the 3 states here:

not about the status of the inner meter which displays whether you can switch to the sword, nor the Amped gauge

• In the top picture, the weapon is not in sword mode, and the switch gauge is too low to transform.
  • In the middle picture, the weapon is currently in sword mode, but if you morphed to axe mode, you wouldn't have enough switch gauge to transform back. (It is right on the edge of having enough switch gauge, though) E: Incorrect
  • In the bottom picture, the switch gauge is high enough to morph from axe to sword.

JackGeneric fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Jun 17, 2021

dividertabs
Oct 1, 2004

Played around with it a bit and it seems like the 2nd state (long sword, half-sized bar) is just the way to display low switch gauge in axe mode, but some (nonzero) Amped meter.

JackGeneric posted:

• In the middle picture, the weapon is currently in sword mode, but if you morphed to axe mode, you wouldn't have enough switch gauge to transform back. (It is right on the edge of having enough switch gauge, though)

So the above quote isn't correct, but the rest of the post is.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Also the switch art move that charges forward also gives you “unlimited” sword mode for a bit and gives you enough gauge to transform if you’re totally out and want to use sword mode quickly

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Also, if you perform the overhead axe-mode slam, you'll get a couple little arrows by your gauge. This means that the Activation Gauge will fill up faster while in sword mode until those arrows go away with time. This is called "amped state".

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
If I'm an HR 66 aerial murder yoyo I mean DB wielder in Rise, what's the best/quickest way to level to 100? It seems like it would be high-rank Rampage quests, but I guess it might be some form of Narwa, ugh.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Its definitely rampages

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Make sure it's the red 7* rampages though. Completing one of those had my HR jump up 4 levels.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

MonHun Thread posted:

Switch Axe Discourse

Cripes, and I thought Charge Blade was supposed to be complicated...

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
Awesome, thanks. I've been rampaging and I'm at 84 and counting.

The Apex Zinogre is a right fuckball, though.

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies

J.A.B.C. posted:

Cripes, and I thought Charge Blade was supposed to be complicated...
Those weapons are the two I main the most, and here's my approach.

Charge blade: at every second I have 6 different options and which one I choose defines the fight.

Switch Axe: haha I get the bar up and stick onto them until we explode, then I do it again!

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

ms jones and little jones conspired to get me the mh rise amiibo set for father's day. the toys are awesome. the family is awesome

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

dividertabs posted:

How is the plot in MH Stories? Is it as ignorable as the plot of the mainline games? If not, is it any good (unlike the mainline games)?

Have you ever played Pokemon?

Thats the plot of MH stories down to having a weird inexplicable high tech team with robots you fight as a diversion from your real goal

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Zore posted:

Have you ever played Pokemon?

Thats the plot of MH stories down to having a weird inexplicable high tech team with robots you fight as a diversion from your real goal

Are the robots mechanical versions of monsters or just like chunky metal people?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Crowetron posted:

Are the robots mechanical versions of monsters or just like chunky metal people?

There are mecha monsters you fight like one time and its super weird.

Looking it up again I forgot they were normal monsters with a bunch of armor and mind control devices bolted on, not actually robots.

Zore fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jun 21, 2021

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I was hoping for a Mecha Jho or a Big R(ajang) but cyborg Ura is cool too , I guess.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Crowetron posted:

I was hoping for a Mecha Jho or a Big R(ajang) but cyborg Ura is cool too , I guess.

They also have borged up Aptonoth, Uroktor, Agnaktor, Barroth and Tigrex.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Zore posted:

They also have borged up Aptonoth, Uroktor, Agnaktor, Barroth and Tigrex.

I am STILL mad that you can't have Agnaktor as a ride-on buddy in that game. I otherwise love it, but c'mon!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Give us a Godzilla vs Kong collab quest, Capcom. Give me Godzilla armor, you cowards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Guy kills Valstrax in two and a half minutes. Absolutely nuts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5RDG1GNKKM