Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Jetto Jagga posted:

Some classic Bigfoot history here with Roger Patterson's ABSM Club of America:

Reprinted with disclaimers in The Bigfoot Film Controversy by Christopher Murphy, which reprints the entirety of Patterson's Do Abominable Snowmen of America Really Exist? alongside some unconvincing apologia for the PGF by Murphy.

Holy poo poo I'd love to have one of those official membership certificates, I'd frame it and hang it on my wall.

Printing a copy off the internet wouldn't cut it, I want the real deal signed by Roger. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Holy poo poo I'd love to have one of those official membership certificates, I'd frame it and hang it on my wall.

Printing a copy off the internet wouldn't cut it, I want the real deal signed by Roger. :(

I wonder if any of them still exist. Or if he even sent any out!

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Captain Hygiene posted:

Friendly reminder to not sign Death oaths when you get a job, it's never worth it

I dunno, I signed a Death Oath when I worked at Cracker Barrell and it really wasn't that big of a deal. Now the blood rituals on the other hand, those were a pain in the rear end because you have to do them every week.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Jetto Jagga posted:

I wonder if any of them still exist. Or if he even sent any out!

I just did a google search to see if Patterson has a website where he sells stuff like that so I could order one, doesn't look like he does. :(

As far as I know he still does appearances at Bigfoot conventions around the country every year, I'm sure he'd have a grift merch stall at those where he sells autographs & stuff but I wouldn't ever bother going to one to find out even if there wasn't a pandemic going on

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I just did a google search to see if Patterson has a website where he sells stuff like that so I could order one, doesn't look like he does. :(

As far as I know he still does appearances at Bigfoot conventions around the country every year, I'm sure he'd have a grift merch stall at those where he sells autographs & stuff but I wouldn't ever bother going to one to find out even if there wasn't a pandemic going on

Ah, Patterson died in 1972, Bob Gimlin is the one who's still alive and kickin doing conventions. Gilmin has always maintained that he wasn't part of a hoax but that maybe Roger tricked him! I'm sure he's got merch of his own but nothing that could be as gold as what we'd get if Patterson was still around.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Ah dammit, I can never remember which PG dude was which

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I believe Gimlin sells plaster casts of the footprints from the "incident," though. I definitely considered buying one at one point.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
How many conspiracy theories is this marketing for Sweet Tooth going to birth:

https://twitter.com/grahamorama/status/1401625039431258115

It's like Batboy, but on the cover of USA Today.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
A four eyed Serow antelope has been spotted near a temple in Japan. The head monk believes it's a messenger from the gods.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrWo-v8nEhk

From the description of the video:
We talked to an expert.

Tohoku Wildlife Conservation and Management Center Representative Soharu Uno: "This is not the eye, the lower part is the'subocular gland'. There is a gland under the eye that produces secretions for territory. It was visible. I think"
[...]
Experts analyze that the reason why the eyes seemed to be four was that the glands of the eye were greatly developed and that the photo was taken at an angle that reflects light by chance. ..

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Wasnt there another one of these?

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

I didn't go through the whole thread, so this may have been posted, but here goes:

I heard a great podcast interview with a guy who runs a guiding outfitter in South Carolina. (Link and transcript below)

The Sasquatch of Pumpkintown

It's under 13 min, and really worth the listen. Anyway, so this guide and a friend make up a set of Bigfoot feet in order to mess with a kid who had been giving another guide a hard time out in the bush.

Bigfoot Faker posted:

So we drive out to - up the mountain. And we drive nine miles in the motor boat out to where they're camped. And we get out there. It's pretty late. And all the kids are asleep, but my staff's still up. And he's like, man, this kid's just been giving me a hard time. Goes on this story. And I go, don't worry about it. We got an idea. And so we take the feet, and we make these marks all around the kids tent. And then Brett gets the bag he threw in the truck and it's filled with dog poo poo. And he pours it out right where the kid's head is on the outside of the tent. And then, we camped out.

And in the morning, we wake up and we're out there. And the kid is awake and he's not freaking out. Like, I thought he'd be freaking out. Instead he has this look on his face of, like, sheer awe. He's telling us all these statistics about Sasquatch. He's like, oh, my God. Look at the size of this foot. I wish I had some plaster of Paris. I could make a mold. Because this is definitely an alpha species. This is definitely alpha. I've never seen it this big. Oh, my God. I'm freaking out. And he, like - for the rest of the trip, he's just geeking out on the Sasquatch. They've never been seen this far south. Oh, my God.

A friend of the Faker runs a camping equipment store that hadn't been doing very well. After the footprint / poop incident, the camper's dad came into the store, and bought a ton of expensive gear to track this Bigfoot.

Bigfoot Faker posted:

And I get this call from Brett later that night. And he goes, did you send some guy here to me for the Bigfoot thing? I go, yeah, it's the kid's dad. The guy spent $1,200 on gear. He bought GPS systems. He bought the most powerful scope I have. And I was like, great sale. Awesome. Cool. I come over for dinner. He takes me back down into his shop. And he has all these pelts and skins out. His wife Susanna's sewing machine with this huge needle on it. And he goes, we're making a Bigfoot costume. He goes, you, me, and Susanna know about this. No one else. So she helps us out, 'cause she's actually quite the seamstress. And we make this thing and it took us about eight hours - all night. Tons of coffee. It had cigar burns on it. It had tobacco juice on it. It was disgusting. And it was tailor-made to me. Up close, it was pretty bad.

The Faker and store owner end up running a bit of a Bigfoot con job, which has a funny end to it.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I saw the Hulu Sasquatch documentary. Bigfoot is not interesting, but tweaked-out illegal weed farmers on a hair trigger, that's interesting.

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?
The UFO thread has been discussing William Corliss, "an American physicist and writer who was known[2] for his interest in collecting data regarding anomalous phenomena. Arthur C. Clarke described him as "Fort's latter-day - and much more scientific - successor."[3]" and the Science Frontiers website which sells copies of his anomalous sourcebooks. I picked up Remarkable Luminous Phenomena in Nature: A Catalog of Geophysical Anomalies and Jim the website owner threw in a free copy of Scientific Anomalies and other Provocative Phenomena:

Which seems like a great resource for this thread. It's already paying off:

Bonus map from Corliss' classic paperback The Unexplained:

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
Corliss did some fascinating work. I recall that he rated phenomena according to how likely they were to be true and how much they would cause science to change. There were a few very likely and very impactful examples ...

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

If anyone in this thread wants an adorable Mothman bag now's your chance to back the kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/studioeggface/mothman-crossbody-mini-backpack-ita-bag

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i like-y i like-y

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

https://twitter.com/_Rewhan/status/1404873218373033987

Does a mysterious machine count as a cryptid?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
It's awesome as hell

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

It counts and it rules. Would love a cryptid like that in my neighborhood.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I wish I could go out and buy a mystery discontinued soda right now :smith:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Here's a* 2002 article about it from one of Seattle's weekly papers

https://www.thestranger.com/seattle/coke-machine-near-corner-of-john--broadway/Content?oid=12375

*very silly

When I moved here it only had the one "mystery" button, some time after it got a little press it changed to All Mystery

also, I've seen a pic of it being restocked

a kitten has a new favorite as of 04:05 on Jun 17, 2021

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

There has to be an SCP based on that.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

There has to be an SCP based on that.

http://www.scpwiki.com/scp-261
?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Yea I was thinking about that one, while close not to what I was thinking.

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!

This rules. I like to think there's a lot of weird little things like this spread around the world, that usually only some locals know about.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

https://twitter.com/grescoe/status/1406625093535555599
This is more on the conspiracies/junk science side of the thread, but it's fun to watch that statue. It looks like it's enjoying itself a nice walk!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Captain Hygiene posted:

https://twitter.com/grescoe/status/1406625093535555599
This is more on the conspiracies/junk science side of the thread, but it's fun to watch that statue. It looks like it's enjoying itself a nice walk!

They've been doing this for ages, which makes it even more pathetic that Ancient Aliens people keep going "we don't know how they did it!!!". But then EvonD thinks plateaus are actually mountains smoothed down for landing strips. Though something else always remember about AA people is they're stuck in the 1960s, drink ever time they refer to something in the language of the Apollo or Mercery programs. They always say Space Capsule rather than space ship

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I'm laughing out loud at the idea that aliens traveled light years to get here, but their spaceships needed a runway.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

twistedmentat posted:

They've been doing this for ages, which makes it even more pathetic that Ancient Aliens people keep going "we don't know how they did it!!!". But then EvonD thinks plateaus are actually mountains smoothed down for landing strips. Though something else always remember about AA people is they're stuck in the 1960s, drink ever time they refer to something in the language of the Apollo or Mercery programs. They always say Space Capsule rather than space ship

It's so funny that every 'ancient aliens' thing is just 'well colonists came and didn't understand it, so a native explained it maybe using slightly poetic/un-elegant language, and then the colonists just went 'eh that sounds fake' to the natives who did it'.

Like, wasn't the story for Easter Island that the natives said the heads 'walked', meaning they were talking about that exact method in the video where someone on each side pulls the statue one at a time, and the people they told that to were all 'ha ha silly savages, statues don't walk'?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm laughing out loud at the idea that aliens traveled light years to get here, but their spaceships needed a runway.

And for some reason it needed to look like a monkey, spider or birb.

One of my favorite theories AA presents is that the stone at a I think Machu Pichu are meant to of been melted down and then cast so they'd fit perfectly, when if you look at them, all the stones fit perfectly yes, but they're all different shapes and sizes. That's somehow more believable than people just working stone so they fit really well.

Like litearlly in the episode the guy goes "keep it simple stupid!" and the simple answer is they melted granite :psyduck:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
UFO over Shanghai yesterday:

https://twitter.com/Today__China/status/1407163717230358540

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Looks a whole lot like a shadow of a building to me, personally. On Reddit there were all sorts of people showing videos with timecodes and going "See? It CAN'T be a shadow!" and it still looked like a shadow.

Still, neat!

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
An interesting video but yes, after looking at it for a while you stop seeing the triangle as in front of the clouds and instead see the clouds in front of whatever, you think of looking horizontally, not up ... and it start to look a lot like clouds parting in front of a building. Shanghai has really bad pollution, right?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I want to believe

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Reminds me of Galactus from that Fantastic 4 movie.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

The view is so obscured and disorienting I can't even get a good sense of it in my mind to think of what it might be. If aliens are real, they're taking cues from the best movie CGI directors in terms of keeping things understated and mysterious.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004

Captain Hygiene posted:

The view is so obscured and disorienting I can't even get a good sense of it in my mind to think of what it might be. If aliens are real, they're taking cues from the best movie CGI directors in terms of keeping things understated and mysterious.

Which puts me in mind of the infamous alien autopsy film:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alien_autopsy

For those who haven't seen it, it's a long (17 minutes) video, supposedly showing two military doctors examining a classic Grey alien. No crude fake, someone went to a lot of effort here. There's a special (inevitably hosted by Jonathan Frakes) where experts including pathologists, military, biologists go backwards and forwards arguing about the details of the autopsy, clothing, down to whether a light switch is period-appropriate.

But the really striking commentary was from a horror movie director. He praised the film for being "a really good fake but definitely a fake" as you kept thinking that you saw more than you actually did. Everytime you were just about to get a closeup of the alien, or look inside it, etc. something would get in the way, the doctors would be interrupted and so on. It was put together like a horror film.

More info on the wiki page, inclined the films eventual fate, but there's an important lesson here about perception and presentation.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

That poor lady has to settle for a bigfoot with male pattern baldness, what bad luck :(

Did anyone else watch Expedition Bigfoot on the Travel Channel? It just wrapped up season two, but they proudly proclaimed they were able to return with definite proof of bigfoot: A plaster cast of a footprint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Knormal posted:

Did anyone else watch Expedition Bigfoot on the Travel Channel? It just wrapped up season two, but they proudly proclaimed they were able to return with definite proof of bigfoot: A plaster cast of a footprint.

Maybe they're going the 'technical truth by obfuscation' route I cleverly thought I could get away with as a child: "We finally have it, definitive proof of [quickly whispers a as quietly as possible] big foot"