Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

i disagree, mookie has improved. he is taking a lot of shortcuts in recent pages but his linework is so much better to look at than it used to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HazCat
May 4, 2009

Mx. posted:

i disagree, mookie has improved. he is taking a lot of shortcuts in recent pages but his linework is so much better to look at than it used to be.

He could have been doing that all along. He hasn't learned a new skill, he's just decided that Legacy should be in different style than DD.

He drew DD in a lazy ugly style intentionally, because he liked that style. Legacy's style does not represent growth as an artist, because he was literally already able to draw like this a decade ago.

I mean, it's an improvement for us, the readers, because we no longer have to look at his awful DD style art. It's an improvement in taste on Mookie's behalf because he seems to recognise that DD's style would not work for a piece where the artwork is actually important (~*no dialogue*~). But he hasn't learned anything he didn't already know about how to draw.

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

I think the only reason Legacy looks marginally better than original flavor DD is that he's drawing it larger, instead of cramming it into 8 tiny newspaper comic panels.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
He relies a lot on 'references,' in his case usually meaning just photo tracing, and lately relies very heavily on reusing panels. When he doesn't go off-model it's often because it's the exact same drawing as he's used before for that character.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

oriongates posted:

I'd challenge you to find an actual example of one of the Legacy characters actually being significantly off model or posed in a way that's actually awkward or anatomically impossible (the closest would probably be corpse's vine-vomit face, but that falls more under bad choices [see below]). He doesn't have the problem many artists do of getting his hands or feet hosed up or too big or small.

The Ink Witch's has her left foot forward in this image from July 6, 2020, and both of her feet are pointing to her left. I can't replicate that position myself, though admittedly, I'm not particularly flexible.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

maltesh posted:

The Ink Witch's has her left foot forward in this image from July 6, 2020, and both of her feet are pointing to her left. I can't replicate that position myself, though admittedly, I'm not particularly flexible.

Seriously?

First, the pose is replicable and not particularly complex. It's not the most natural of positions but it's not impossible by any means, nor particularly unbelievable and it certainly doesn't hold a candle to the spinal horrors of comics you see on Escher Girls all the time.

Not going to say it's not awkward but this is not a significant anatomical error, especially since it's not remotely the primary focus of the scene. I could almost certainly find far worse in the work of many professional comic artists, which kind of proves my point.

oriongates fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Jun 15, 2021

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

I would agree that the thread frequently exaggerates how bad mookie's art is (even the latest page is just kinda boring and overhyped by the text and the author, it's not particularly awful or anything). The problem with it is that it's stale. It's a style that ends up combining with a bunch of other poo poo (hilariously bad storytelling and lack of authorial self-awareness) that just makes it the cherry on top.

Take the page posted just above: I'd say that last panel is one of the better ones mookie's done! It's got an upwards angle that casts the antagonists in an ominous light, and redactor's design has a few cool and distinct elements to it. But it's a confrontation we can't particularly care about because the new characters have no relation to snout and mookie'd managed to make the ink witch an unsympathetic character with all her breeches of snout's privacy. We also don't particularly care for snout's quest because we have no idea what the stakes of finding dominic's "legacy" even are (this is even shortly after snout had told arudak he's just in it for curiosity's sake, lol). The comic's art then falls short if you go past that one panel's composition: the confrontation is set up in this empty corridor connecting the hotel(?) snout and the ink witch were staying at with the rest of mongreltown, which is just a convenient setting to not have to do anything specific with the background, and I don't recall anything particularly impressive with what came before or after this page. It's a good panel swimming in a sea of mediocrity, which honestly sums up what it feels like to see any kind of glimmer of potential in DD and the Legacy.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Yeah, and to be clear what I'm saying is mookie is good at drawing. That does not mean he is a good comic creator. He's terminally deficient in many of the other skills that solo comic work demands. I'm just saying that among his many flaws, incompetence when it comes to actually making a drawing is not one of them.

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

oriongates posted:

Yeah, and to be clear what I'm saying is mookie is good at drawing. That does not mean he is a good comic creator. He's terminally deficient in many of the other skills that solo comic work demands. I'm just saying that among his many flaws, incompetence when it comes to actually making a drawing is not one of them.

edit: this page in particular is both a really bad example (because the poses are traced) but also a super good example (they're traced poorly, and Mookie has mostly guessed where to draw the lines on Skullet's arms, giving him nonsensical muscles while also struggling to figure out how to fit his Dominic Deegan faces onto these human heads)

Libra fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Jun 15, 2021

ScienceSeagull
May 17, 2021

Figure 1 Smart birds.
Re characters being off model, hasn't Snout's asymmetrical features been swapped around a few times because Mookie copy-pasted and used the mirror tool?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

That hasn't happened too often, but Snout has definitely been drawn badly off-model. I'd have to go back through the comic to find some examples, but his proportions are pretty inconsistent.

Edit: here we go, found one. These are consecutive pages.

That is not an error someone with a good grasp of anatomy makes.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Jun 15, 2021

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Fister Roboto posted:

I'm the perfectly circular, perfectly uniform, smooth, monolithic walls.

I'm the complete lack of gates, anchor points, towers, or defensive points on the perfectly circular, perfectly uniform, smooth, monolithic walls.

Edit: I'm also the complete lack of traffic on the roads/rivers for this incredibly bustling city

skeleton warrior fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jun 15, 2021

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I'm struck by how much this looks like the fictional capital city I came up with for the lovely fantasy novel I wrote when I was sixteen.

Also, I'm really bothered by the fact that there's no gates for the rivers.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I feel like the badness of the art and the badness of the writing are often the same thing?

Mookie seems to have a very poor grasp of how the things he's presented will look to other people, which is why we get things like Snout cuddling with the Ink Witch, which was creepy but which we were apparently supposed to think was sweet.

This is kind of the visual variant of that, where we can't actually be sure if we're supposed to think the city is impressive, or if it's supposed to look as weird as it does.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

oriongates posted:

Seriously?

First, the pose is replicable and not particularly complex. It's not the most natural of positions but it's not impossible by any means, nor particularly unbelievable and it certainly doesn't hold a candle to the spinal horrors of comics you see on Escher Girls all the time.

Not going to say it's not awkward but this is not a significant anatomical error, especially since it's not remotely the primary focus of the scene. I could almost certainly find far worse in the work of many professional comic artists, which kind of proves my point.

I should have been more clear. My biggest issue with it is her right foot (which is the one in the lower left corner of the image); Given the apparent line of the hips and the straight extension of the right leg, it seemed to me that the right foot was twisted painfully far to the left. In that stance, making my right foot point at my left heel is about as far as I can go, and it looked to me like the right foot was pointing significantly further left of that.

Perhaps I'm misinterpreting the stance here, and that's supposed to be her left foot, and the wrinkle at the back of the dress doesn't trace the outline of her right leg, or the foot isn't pointing in the direction I think it is.

That professionals can sell with worse art was never in question.

DamnitGannet
Apr 8, 2007

Mookie actually being a good artist is not the take i thought i would ever see in these threads

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
I hate this comic.

Wednesday:

Friday:

Monday:

DamnitGannet
Apr 8, 2007

are those real?? those arudak panels look like they were copy and pasted from the other times he showed up. same with the panel with snout holding the note, he's wearing a completely different outfit! there is no sense of like.. space, or time in this comic, the characters just appear where they need to appear without any sense of how they got there, how much time has progressed, or even where they are. Is this mongreltown? why is the naked creepy store owner here??

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Rand Brittain posted:

I feel like the badness of the art and the badness of the writing are often the same thing?

Mookie seems to have a very poor grasp of how the things he's presented will look to other people, which is why we get things like Snout cuddling with the Ink Witch, which was creepy but which we were apparently supposed to think was sweet.

This is kind of the visual variant of that, where we can't actually be sure if we're supposed to think the city is impressive, or if it's supposed to look as weird as it does.

Like I said, Mookie has very little imagination and garbage when it comes to aesthetic sensibilities. He's a bad character designer. He's terrible at visual humor. He makes bizarre choices when it comes to how characters actually interact with one another.

He's really, really bad at making comics. Creating a comic by yourself demands a lot of different skills and Mookie is bad at almost all of them. That's not the same as saying he's bad at drawing which is apparently the most controversial opinion in the thread.

The difference is that if you took Mookie, gave him a concept artist, gave him a writer, gave him someone to do layout and editing and forced him t actually listen to these people and put out effort then he'd be able to make perfectly satisfactory pages. The fact that he'd require so much assistance is what makes him bad at comics.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

That hasn't happened too often, but Snout has definitely been drawn badly off-model. I'd have to go back through the comic to find some examples, but his proportions are pretty inconsistent.

This, I'll grant you, qualifies as off-model. And there's some proportion fuckery with his arm in the first one, albeit relatively mild. I would argue that it doesn't really qualify as 'significant' (it's mainly noticeable because they are consecutive images in very similar positions and poses.

quote:

That is not an error someone with a good grasp of anatomy makes.

This is hyperbolic nonsense though. Having a good grasp of anatomy doesn't mean "never makes mistakes". You've got dozens and dozens of other pages where Mookie is delivering well-rendered, if unimpressive, anatomy in a variety of poses and you're claiming that one fuckup means he doesn't understand anatomy? That's just bullshit. That's like saying someone making a typo doesn't understand the English language.

Because let's be frank...if Legacy was a funny, clever, well-written and paced comic, and someone showed one panel where a character's limbs were stubbier than they were supposed to and used that to claim the artist was bad, they'd be laughed at.

Let's take a look at some actually bad anatomy fuckups.

And this is without even the low-hanging fruit of someone like Rob Liefield and Greg Land.

oriongates fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jun 15, 2021

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
He actually has basic technical competence when he's not being too lazy to execute on it, but he is not anywhere close to being a "good artist" because that requires more than just basic linework. Most people would consider "good at drawing" to be a judgement that requires some of the skills he still lacks to be present.

Which is actually impressive, in a way, that he has managed to develop his skills in such a lopsided manner.

DamnitGannet
Apr 8, 2007

im still kind of shook that we have someone saying mookie is a good artist when one of the pages posted on this very page consists of several copy and pasted panels. i know animators and artists use shortcuts all the time, but he's not on a deadline, he is doing this at his own pace and still cant muster up the effort to draw new things.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Ah, professional comic artists can be bad so Mookie is actually good. Got it

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I get what Oriongates is saying. Mookie's art is generally competent, it's not blatantly ugly or illegible. It's just not good enough for him to keep leaning on it in strips like Monday's. You want a character to be dumbfounded by the splendor of an orcish city you really have to go for broke on making it look spectacular.

It's like with the weird drug-trip "portal" sequence from earlier, that's some Doctor Strange poo poo and well, Mookie, you're no Steve Ditko.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

All of those examples are better drawn because they're at least dynamic. Some of them are exaggerated on purpose because that's how a lot of superhero comics work. Also lol at using the Spider-Man cover, because that's actually a female robot designed to look that way.

Except stubby arms Wolverine. But the artist is old and not what he used to be.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

DamnitGannet posted:

are those real?? those arudak panels look like they were copy and pasted from the other times he showed up. same with the panel with snout holding the note, he's wearing a completely different outfit! there is no sense of like.. space, or time in this comic, the characters just appear where they need to appear without any sense of how they got there, how much time has progressed, or even where they are. Is this mongreltown? why is the naked creepy store owner here??

Those aren’t real, they’re either edits or just from the Mongreltown stuff.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Yeah it's a joke about Mookie's copy/pasting, clearly.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

The thing that I think we can all agree on is that Mookie's conceptualization and composition are such incredible garbage that they make a mockery of even the concept of sequential art.

And frankly, those matter much more to me than anatomy in a lot of contexts, especially something like this. Mookie's stylization decisions are also unfathomable, like how he decided that Snout's tail needs to look like a weird flesh thing, rather than just drawing a prehensile doohickey that can express emotions.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
I think arguing the objective quality of art is a waste of time even for the Dominic Deegan thread. On a technical level Mookie's better than he was, but it's easy to tell his grasp of anatomy is still shaky when it isn't traced.

Extra long torso, stiff pose. It's like his signature.

but is Mookie's art appealing, and does it support the narrative of the story? Well it doesn't appeal to me, and it struggles to convey the majesty of the sprawling landscapes that Mookie's going for. On that level you could say it's bad. For example this orc city's grand reveal was a wet fart, it looks small and pathetic compared to the ship (which from our perspective is just as big and draws more attention) and the ridiculously huge mountains in the background.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

I keep forgetting that Johnny Longtorso the Orc wasn't edited for effect, he just is that long.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
You definitely cannot say Mookie can't draw and he's certainly above average (the average is to have basically no ability at all), but to say that he is "good" is an outrageously low standard.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
For what it's worth I still maintain that early monstrous Snout is objectively better than uwu dogboy Snout and he shouldn't have softened him up as much as he has - he emoted like once with the scrunched up snout nose and then never again :smith:

Also as much as I dislike her storyline and how he typically depicts her, I do appreciate that he consistently draws Scar-chan's scars as actual damage to her skin that alters the line work and not just aesthetically pleasing perfectly smooth little blemishes. Not a lot of people do that with scars. See almost every anime character with a scar.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

But he also apparently forgets if her bush is supposed to be shaved or not

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

Outside of the baffling aesthetic choices, most of the bad art in Legacy has been beginner mistakes/shakiness sort of stuff. Because after *twenty years* Mookie is only just now getting brave enough to try more complicated poses and non-flat camera angles. He's always had potential, but has been completely unwilling to leave his comfort zone (and defended it as just being his "style"), or even listen to feedback that wasn't unqualified praise. I'm guessing having Garth to do art for him inspired him a bit, and in some of his tweets he's been genuinely enthusiastic about new techniques, so good on him. But I can't help but feel that he's just going to get stuck in a new rut, with his new tricks of tracing, reusing panels, and smearing photoshop brushes over a panel to make it "painterly", and relying on them as crutches instead of using them to learn and improve.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Yeah, he gets excited about new techniques, then uses them once, doesn't improve his skill with them, and falls back into old habits. What we are seeing ARE his first attempts with no refinement, but he considers them done.

It's the same issue with his writing - he wants to get the next plot point out NOW NOW NOW before he gets bored of it and fixates on a new idea, so he rushes them out with little forethought.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
How can anyone look at the way he draws crotches and think hes a good artist. I was cleaning today and found old naruto OCs I drew when i was 13 that have better grasp on anatomy and dynamic poses than anything in Legacy. Any good posing and anatomy he pulls off is because he traced a photo, but you can see his real skill in how he fills out the clothing, faces, and other features he cant just trace, its bad. Jesus. It doesnt even look like he references how fabric sits on a body he just wings it and it looks gross.

Also that amazing city his character is so impressed by looks like a blueberry tart

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

...whoa.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Class Action Part 4

So, despite not really having shown any developments as a teacher, Dominic has become Robin Williams and that poet deciding his inspired all of his students. Also, the hot student has the hots for him. This isn't something that ever really matters is the story point, Mookie just likes pointing out that his author insert is lusted after by coeds. Mookie is obviously intending this is like a punchline, with everyone else dreaming about their futures and what's her face dreaming about doing the Deegan, but it's really just a masturbatory fantasy masquerading as a joke.

Here's more examples of Mookie's "humour". I guess those monkeys are supposed to be British. It's funny because they said feces instead of poo or poo poo. Now pay attention here, because it's important. Nimmel is in Quirel, outside of the University. He sees the angry elemental heading often an unspecified direction...

Said angry elemental manifests stupid anime powers and flies off...

(As an aside, the focus on alteration spells here is sort of weird, and I'm not sure why Mookie felt the need to repeat it. Given the weirdness Mookie does with "alterists" at various points in the comic, it actually does feel like Mookie has some sort of problem with the concept of altering your body. I don't know what to read into it, it just stands out)

The a real mental that flies all the way to Barthis, to the Deegans' new house.

As another side, I hate the way of Mookie names food and drink in his comics. The names are just so generic. Like I guess is it's mostly brand-name teas, or blends from the local tea shop? But they are incredibly boring as names.

Also, points for the unbelievably stilted dialogue. Brought up out of nowhere and talking about something that no normal person would ever talk about. Why not just say thank you for building the house so well. It's just such a weird specific thing the callout out of the blue that it totally breaks your sense of disbelief.

I guess yet again Dominic you in advance of this was going to happen and didn't tell Luna anything. Also, I hate this sort of nonsense reasoning with magic too. If you're going to make the fact that your house was made by an elemental important, you should call out that fact or mention in some way beforehand. This is really like the hand-waving a bad DM does when he doesn't have an explanation for something in his setting.

But, the important point here is that Nimmel is now in Barthis! Nimmel does not fly, and he has never been shown to use teleportation magic. In terms of flow, it makes absolutely no sense for Nimmel to be there, especially because he doesn't even know Nielen and would not know where he was going. At this point the two towns are effectively the same place, since Mookie has forgotten that they were separate.

Mookie then tries to handwave this away by saying it's their weekly chess night. But the set up of Nielen bumping into Nimmel and Nimmel looking suspicious, followed by him showing up at the climactic moment, obviously was meant to imply that Nimmel followed Nielen. I actually remember people at the time calling Mookie out on Nimmel suddenly being there, so here is a moment when you see Mookie actively bullshitting explanations to criticisms he read online.

Apparently, Nielen knows who Nimmel is, because somehow all bullies always know who the protagonists are in this setting. There are always able to put out contextually appropriate insults, even though these characters are never interacted before.

Mookie think that this is badass dialogue.

Not the worst splash page, except it features the worst character, Nimmel.

Love those stiff legged kicks. Just straight out.

I'm not even sure what Mookie was going for here. It feels like this is him rewriting some other story that he came across, where a character's innate nature made them prone to destructive acts.

See? It's bringing up this excuse, one that he presented when he introduced the character, only to quickly dismiss it. Why? Nielen's characterization is so limited in this comic that this callout doesn't really feel earned. We don't know enough about him and he has been set up enough for this twisted logic to feel impactful.

Also, I hate Mookie's extended metaphor element logic. As long as you can come up with a simile including one of the elements, that's something you can attribute to it. Like water elementals enjoy eroding relationships because erosion is an elemental function of water? That is incredibly tortured logic.

Mookie think this is clever, but it's not because it's just using the truck straight and pretending that hanging a lampshade on it changes it. Not really clear why Dex would be able to just knock Nielen out either, I guess being magically resistant makes him like kryptonite to elemental changelings.

Also, get ready for some more weird law stuff. Here, Luna tells the psycho element monster that he just "assaulted a student", like she's going to report him to the faculty board.

Here's Mookie, trying to justify his nonsense again, saying that of course Nimmel intended to attract the attenion of the sheriff, so it makes perfect sense that Dex showed up when needed.

Like I was think about the weird law stuff, I don't even understand where the five hours of community service logic comes in. It's like people becoming crazy elemental monsters and trying to attack their coworkers is just a run-of-the-mill occurrence in Callan.

The last four panels are a total waste. One wonders why Cass if he made a popsicle therapy puppet of Nielen. Apparently that's something that Mookie thinks friends do for friends.

I'm pretty sure Mookie sold T-shirts with the phrase"curse you, Runcible Spoon" on them. You can tell that it was the haha random monkeycheese era of the Internet

Callan's legal code is a nightmare. Thieves get the death penalty but magical freak shows get a special exemption on wanton destruction. Also, when Nielen was initially introduced in made it seem like being an Elemental changeling was some sort of innate trait that was rare, which was why they hired him. Instead, it now seems like Miranda paid someone to become their professional guinea pig? There's something so hosed up about that but I just can't wrap my brain around it. Like who was he before this point, and why would he agree to this treatment, if he knew it was for the purpose of making him into something they could test spells on? A better work would actually question why Miranda would do such a thing, and it would raise implications in terms of how scrupulous the magical research at Quiral University was. But this is not that comic,

Mookie thinks it's fine to torture your subordinates, as long as they are douches. In another comment I would let this go because it's a fairly standard joke, but Mookie has done a terrible job establishing the relationships between these characters.

Class Action Part 5

Here's where Mookie lurches into heavy-handed melodrama and strange border politics, out of nowhere given the soap opera nonsense that just preceded it.

Mookie is certain to pick up the habit at this point of patting out his strips by having his characters explain what just happened in the previous comic. It's a variation on having his characters explain the plot to him to remind him of what was going on, that we have seen quite often so far. I love that the border between Maltak and Callan seems to be some sort of physical dividing structure that obscures the the view.

Because somehow, as they were rushing over no one noticed the endless wasteland in front of them until they got closer.

Ask yourself whether or not that thing in the background is supposed to be a mountain or not. The little silhouettes next to it would imply that it's just a big jagged clump of rock, but there were mountains in the distance in the previous comic.

Think about how big the plains of Maltak have been presented as, and ask yourself where all this action could be happening. Mookie has no sense of geography or distance, so these orcs waiting at the border can rush over without seeing the devastation, but then can immediately within a few steps also find the ruins of their villages and the bodies of their loved ones. All of this is happening all at once, immediately next to the border with Callan.

In true Deegan fashion, Donovan proceeded to make it all about himself.

See? Donovan is literally witnessed to a major natural disaster, and the only thing he's talking about Hours? days? later, is how he was overwhelmed, and he hosed up, so that you can get sympathy from his wifemom.

Prepare for a lot of nonsence with K word. Akta, Nakta, Maltak, etc. what comes next is somatic technobabble explaining what's going on in mall tax, and act as a set up for the unbelievably terrible "March across Maltak" arc that will come later

Class Action Part 6

Seems incredibly irresponsible to test unproven magics on refugees, but whatever, I guess beggars can't be choosers.

I realize I am being deliberately uncharitable here, but the stakes here are super unclear. We know that Malta has been destroyed but we don't really know what that means, in terms of suffering or casualties or anything. It's funny that Mookie instantly channels this event through the lens of an American fundraising for a distant tragedy.

So this is a set up for Dominic being smugly right once again. His students want to help, but Dominic says no because he knows better.

I guess were still on the "Who will be headmaster" question, as if anyone cares. Again, it's like this was a hurricane or something, not devil magic obliterating a nation.

It never directly shows what Dominic saw, but I guess were supposed to understand that he saw orcs on the march.

Mookie loves drawing dead women with wounds right between their boobs. This is never really explained by the way, why Jacob would know or care about Nielen. He just randomly decides to target him at this point, I feel because Mookie felt the character had not been punished enough

gently caress you Dominic and your stupid smug face.

Dominic's big plan is to directly call Jacob out and instead offer up some rock. As well as a moralizing speech to a character who has shown literally zero conscience up to this point. that Dominic sure is a master manipulator.

I have to say I do love panel seven. There's something so deliciously villainous about Jacob revealing his horrible zombie grin at that moment, while saying that line. It feels like something a fantasy village should do. Jacob remains probably the best character in the comic.

Remember when Dominic was going on and on about how a second site required context and interpretation. Thankfully that's not the case right now, all Dominic has to do is go cross eyed and he'll know exactly what the plot entails.

Here's another place where Mookie's plotting just completely loses me. This devolves into "you can't take students into a dangerous place, you dumb broad" story, out of nowhere. Also Dominic teaches one class Ed asserts ownership over his students from that, like they're his apprentices or something. Something is entirely correct to point out that Dominic is being creepily controlling here. Dominic will of course be proven right in subsequent strips, making this framing all the stranger. It's like Mookie is setting up stories that are supposed to make you think that Dominic is being overbearing or possessive, only to write an ending that entirely justifies Dominic's otherwise apparently lovely behaviour.

Like apparently, despite getting angry at Cassafine, he did not actually bother to tell her what his problem with bringing students to the border with Maltak was before flipping out on her. It's these angry orcs!

Dominic just knows everything, and he won't bother even explaining it to you! You should just listen to him by default! And here's another place where Mookie comes up with arbitrary magical explanations that don't really matter make sense.

The Shintula are also going to be problematic for different reasons, because their hatred of humans will be presented as irrational and bad, in spite of the fact that humans literally invaded their territory with devil wizards and and poisoned their land.

He gets pretty repetitive with the plot points to, with his jailbreak thing coming up over and over again, each time providing new filler for Mookie's reasoning as to why things are happening. I love that Prento says the other countries, because when we get to the worldwide cruise/honeymoon arc, it's going to be clear that there are no other countries to speak of, since there are only two human nations and Callan doesn't give a poo poo about the nonhuman nations. This is again some lazy world building that just assumes fantasy America.

Dominic will obviously be proven right once again.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Legacy tears us apart but Beelzebufo's blessed posts are the glue that holds this thread together

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
“The law says I’m just an innocent victim of my nature! A nature I willingly brought upon myself! In the pursuit of power!”

I really enjoy how while Dominic’s living on easy street with his free house, kushy job and lackeys to fight his battles the orcs are just offscreen loving suffering and dying. Kinda makes the entire arc up to that point look petty!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

TheHan posted:

I really enjoy how while Dominic’s living on easy street with his free house, kushy job and lackeys to fight his battles the orcs are just offscreen loving suffering and dying. Kinda makes the entire arc up to that point look petty!
Minor spoilers for anyone who hasn't read the original but the process that leads to the final conflict has already begun when Dominic sensed the return of TIM and Celesto and created his Bastard Watch. He already knows that's really bad news and should theoretically be the highest priority.

Keep that in mind when seeing how Dominic decides to spend his time from now until the end of the comic.