Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Cyril Sneer posted:

What is it with early reality shows and that misty-soap-opera lighting? You could spot it easily in those early clips they showed.

Most of them weren't shooting in HD at that point and the majority were capturing footage on MiniDV or DVCAM, which has a rather distinctive soft look to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.

Timby posted:

Most of them weren't shooting in HD at that point and the majority were capturing footage on MiniDV or DVCAM, which has a rather distinctive soft look to it.

Interesting. It's weird how I don't remember them looking like that at all.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Cyril Sneer posted:

Interesting. It's weird how I don't remember them looking like that at all.

You had a lovely old TV in 2007 OP

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.

Iron Crowned posted:

You had a lovely old TV in 2007 OP

Jokes on you, I'm still using that tv :smugndar:

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

*watches the new season of Master Hell's Kitchen alone*

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
could they at least do some makeup after they get kicked off so we can't tell from just the interviews :lol:

Kwatz
Aug 14, 2008

loving lol at that moron sneaking in a digital thermometer.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Kwatz posted:

:lol: yeah, it's up there with the donut from Full Metal Jacket

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Kwatz posted:

And then leaving it behind. Right Mastermind, he is.

M.Matsuda
May 9, 2014

May the Sacred Flame shine forth!

Kwatz posted:

snuck it in and still couldn't get the meat right

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Honestly, in the post-COVID world, I'd rather they use a probe (:heysexy:) than rub their dickbeaters all over my entrée.
:colbert:

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Masterchef Legends. A third of the hopefuls get to audition for Emeril Lagasse, another 3rd get Curtis Stone... The last third, Paula "Butter on everything & N word" Dean... Seems like the last third got the short straw...

Kwatz
Aug 14, 2008

Yeah, gently caress Paula Deen and MasterChef being involved in any sort of “redemption tour” for her. But I shouldn’t be surprised, Joe has been back hosting for a few years and he’s a scumbag too.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Kwatz posted:

But I shouldn’t be surprised, Joe has been back hosting for a few years and he’s a scumbag too.

It's probably easier to name restaurant empire owners who aren't complete pieces of poo poo.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
Ramsay, for example.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Popoto posted:

Ramsay, for example.

He's a very sweet man and it's well-known that the Hell's Kitchen / Kitchen Nightmares persona is an affectation, but there are some stories out there about him turbofucking his restaurant employees, largely due to gross financial mismanagement of his restaurant empire. One of the reasons Fox crammed out like 4 seasons of Hell's Kitchen in just under two years a while back was because Ramsay was almost broke and leveraged up to his gills and desperately needed the money.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Iirc it wasn't directly his mismanagement, his father-in-law was in charge of the finances and it turned out he was embezzling a ton? Something like that

Kwatz
Aug 14, 2008

Timby posted:

It's probably easier to name restaurant empire owners who aren't complete pieces of poo poo.

You’re correct, and as a former service industry member, it’s not limited to empire owners.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Kwatz posted:

You’re correct, and as a former service industry member, it’s not limited to empire owners.

I worked both BOH and FOH for nearly a decade. I know.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
For as many restaurants as Ramsay has opened it's a pretty high closure rate, most of them seem to be in London or Las Vegas at this point, and chains at that

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I remember back in the day when this thread was busy and every new season of Hell's Kitchen came with a contest.

Kwatz
Aug 14, 2008

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

For as many restaurants as Ramsay has opened it's a pretty high closure rate, most of them seem to be in London or Las Vegas at this point, and chains at that

I think that’s because sometime in the last decade he went from being a chef/restauranteur to being a media brand.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Kwatz posted:

I think that’s because sometime in the last decade he went from being a chef/restauranteur to being a media brand.

it was especially funny watching boiling point and having him deny being a "celebrity chef" and wanting to be one.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
So Curtis Stone is being promoted for some reason, he's appeared on Hell's Kitchen, MasterChef, and Crime Scene Kitchen in the last tree weeks.

Ajaxify
May 6, 2009
Possibly, though these last two seasons of Hell Kitchen were filmed over two years ago IIRC.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Ajaxify posted:

Possibly, though these last two seasons of Hell Kitchen were filmed over two years ago IIRC.

And Masterchef was filming at the start of last year. Curtis Stone's takeover of Fox prime time seems to just be a weird coincidence from covid scheduling delays.

A talking coyote
Jan 14, 2020

Granted I haven’t watched the earlier seasons in a while, but is this the most lopsided the teams have been? Like did they pull these dudes out of a target food court?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

A talking coyote posted:

Granted I haven’t watched the earlier seasons in a while, but is this the most lopsided the teams have been? Like did they pull these dudes out of a target food court?

I feel like the last few seasons I’ve watched all start with women destroying the men’s team for like the first six episodes.

My explanation: egos. Women are better at setting aside their ego/frustration to just work. Men can’t. They keep trying to be TOP DOG. Then, when the real awful guys are kicked from the team, they can get things a little more under control and the pendulum swings the other way.

A talking coyote
Jan 14, 2020

Mordiceius posted:

I feel like the last few seasons I’ve watched all start with women destroying the men’s team for like the first six episodes.

My explanation: egos. Women are better at setting aside their ego/frustration to just work. Men can’t. They keep trying to be TOP DOG. Then, when the real awful guys are kicked from the team, they can get things a little more under control and the pendulum swings the other way.

This seems like actual lack of talent more than the usual bullshit infighting the dudes usually trip over though.

Ajaxify
May 6, 2009

Mordiceius posted:

In contrast to the Hells Bitches phenomenon of earlier seasons, where the red team would eat itself alive from the inside out starting in the second or third week.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

A talking coyote posted:

This seems like actual lack of talent more than the usual bullshit infighting the dudes usually trip over though.

They're all sub-25 years old, it's to be expected

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I feel like last season where they had a bunch of legitimately strong people was a real outlier

e: I loled at "the train station"

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jun 16, 2021

Kwatz
Aug 14, 2008

Iron Crowned posted:

They're all sub-25 years old, it's to be expected

This also is why so many of them are terrible cooks. They’re still quite young and just don’t have the experience yet. That being said, this season does seem to lack talent.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

A talking coyote posted:

I don't know, I haven't rewatched anything. But it's almost just typical Hell's Kitchen, the women come in strong for the first few weeks while the men are unable to do anything. Then the women fall apart and start fighting and the men come together and start working together... And then we all wonder why after 20 seasons and in 2021 do they still divide the teams by sex anyway?

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

I don't know, I haven't rewatched anything. But it's almost just typical Hell's Kitchen, the women come in strong for the first few weeks while the men are unable to do anything. Then the women fall apart and start fighting and the men come together and start working together... And then we all wonder why after 20 seasons and in 2021 do they still divide the teams by sex anyway?

They divided the teams by ethnicity one time but Fox got cold feet and decided not to air it despite filming the entire season

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

I could be wrong but I swear I remember on some seasons, once the men's team loses enough and a woman is forced to switch sides in order to level out the teams - that's when the men's team stop sucking all the time and they actually get poo poo done

A talking coyote
Jan 14, 2020

Scrotum Modem posted:

I could be wrong but I swear I remember on some seasons, once the men's team loses enough and a woman is forced to switch sides in order to level out the teams - that's when the men's team stop sucking all the time and they actually get poo poo done

Yeah I just got through season 18 and after they give up on rookies v veterans after a few eps, they split the teams into men and women again. Then after the men lose like half their team the send over Mia and finally get their poo poo together. A lot of those people seemed like they knew what they were doing though, they just sucked at team work. This batch of guys just flat out seem like they’ve never cooked before. I know some of it is an age thing but that doesn’t seem to be holding back the women too much.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Scrotum Modem posted:

Yeah this isn't unusual at all, they just sent a woman over last season. Sometimes they end up with two. I don't remember if I've seen three at once. It happens in the other direction sometimes, or just straight-up switches, too.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

A talking coyote posted:

lol Antonio. Gotta love anyone who's like "We got this, we got this guys *completely fucks up everything* alright rebound guys, on to the next one guys, we can do it, let's go!" Team spirit.

Also I was loving howling at the "I'll nominate myself"/"I never said that!" :mad: rear end gaslighting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC
3 episodes down and blue team hasn't served entrees yet lmao