Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
I can’t find the source, but my ex used to use the phrase, “let that one go, Randleman” whenever someone was too fixated on something. Still not sure what fight or corner person that’s from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Randleman's main legacy in the sport is making two Pride Legends look really loving vulnerable and bad and I'll love him for that.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Randleplex got me into mma. (lol I was a big fedor fan :negative: )

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Randleplex got me into mma. (lol I was a big fedor fan :shh: )

none of us are without sin. I was a big Houston Alexander fan, which is far, far more embarassing.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

To be fair, he WAS for real.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

This lead me to look at Houston Alexander's post UFC record and yes it is bad. But also he was one of Jan's KSW fights. I didn't realize Houston had been active up to 2017

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

TheKingslayer posted:

This lead me to look at Houston Alexander's post UFC record and yes it is bad. But also he was one of Jan's KSW fights. I didn't realize Houston had been active up to 2017

One that you really should watch is his Shark Fights match with Sokoudjou. It's the most b-league thing. Alexander nearly died but then his opponent gasses really loving hard and its all commentated on by Don Frye and Bas Rutten, who are extremely drunk.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Snowman_McK posted:

One that you really should watch is his Shark Fights match with Sokoudjou. It's the most b-league thing. Alexander nearly died but then his opponent gasses really loving hard and its all commentated on by Don Frye and Bas Rutten, who are extremely drunk.

Oh hell I remember this. What a magical evening.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

I've been posting in these threads for years. So I would like you all to extend me some grace for what I am about to ask.

What is roidtech?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
There are few bits of lore greater than Oildome.
But Roidtech is one.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Untrustable posted:

I've been posting in these threads for years. So I would like you all to extend me some grace for what I am about to ask.

What is roidtech?

I envy you a little, no word of a lie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS9vdoX3Ju0

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Snowman_McK posted:

Lmao this owns, pretty sure Houston was out like, 2 or 3 separate times in that 1st round

E) also Bas starts singing at one point

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Memento posted:

I envy you a little, no word of a lie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS9vdoX3Ju0

What the gently caress?

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Untrustable posted:

What is roidtech?

this is genuinely one of the most shocking posts i've ever seen. you, personally, have 'most insane post' 1 and 2. good poo poo.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Untrustable posted:

What is roidtech?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiBjOPlMOoU

Lmao this owns, pretty sure Houston was out like, 2 or 3 separate times in that 1st round

E) also Bas starts singing at one point

There's another fight on that card between Brock Larson and some other muscly blond guy and the two honestly get worse and worse at telling them apart as the fight goes on. I swear by the end they're getting it wrong on purpose.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Untrustable posted:

What is roidtech?

Everyone's answering you by linking the video but that's not your question, is it? (unless it is, in which case I can generally support Marching Powder's reaction)

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
I like how mark slowly wokrs his way into half guard, thats some slick poo poo.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Brut posted:

Everyone's answering you by linking the video but that's not your question, is it? (unless it is, in which case I can generally support Marching Powder's reaction)

I've seen it referenced, but I never actually watched it. I honestly thought it was a documentary about Mark Coleman. In a way, it kind of is.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Sounds like you don't click on enough links in this thread.

Anyway someone made a short video explaining all of the poo poo that's happening in the roidtech vid and why it's funny if you want to catch up.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

IT’S KOREAN ZOMBIE FIGHT WEEK

:peanut: :jiggled: :peanut:

Main Card (ESPN2/ESPN+)
:supaburn:Featheweight Chan Sung Jung vs Dan Ige
First-rate fight. The most handsome and brave of all fighters in the UFC looks to bounce back from his lopsided decision loss to the cowardly cheater Brian Ortega. I can either write 22 words or 1000 words about TKZ: He is one of the most exciting and skilled fighters in MMA history. He’s super cool. Go watch all of his fights. Ige is a Hawaiian banger, and I mean that in a good way. He’s a pretty sharp, accurate boxer, and he has that hard-to-crack Hawaiian dome, and he has shown some pretty good wrestling. Could we call him a meat-and-potatoes fighter? He has an 8-fight stretch where he only came up short to Calvin Kattar, though he also had a dubious split decision win over Barboza. Last time out he caught fellow prospect Gavin Tucker cold in 22 seconds. I’m not sure what to expect out of this fight. 2013 TKZ would have ended up in a brawl for the ages here, but 2021 TKZ is more measured and technical. It will be good.

:siren:Heavyweight Aleksi Oleinik vs Sergey Spivak
This fight is going to be dumb and we’re going to love it. At least neither of these guys is slovenly and fat (scroll down for that). Measuring from results, Oleinik is among the top three grapplers in heavyweight history. He’s a strong Ukrainian/Russian dad built like an orangutan. He has submitted UFC opponents from places like bottom mount with chokes that we tell white belts to stop loving around with and wasting time. He also flails his arms around and sometimes KOs people. He’s on a 2-fight TKO skid. Spivak is a young Moldovan with a Hapsburg jaw who also flails around. He is 3-2 in the UFC, but his losses are to 2019 Walt Harris on short notice, and then Marcin Tybura, so not too bad, especially for a 26 year old which is basically a toddler in UFC Heavyweight terms. He is sloppy but fun. He’s mostly a wrestler/grappler. This fight hinges on how much Oleinik has faded with age.

Featherweight Julian Erosa vs Seung Woo Choi
Erosa might have a future. A DWCS guy, he started in the UFC with a 3-fight losing streak, and then got back in via Covid fights and now has consecutive stoppage wins over solid opposition. He’s one of those skinny guys who kicks and grapples. Seung Woo Choi is Korean with a 2-2 record, but those losses are to Gavin Tucker and Mosvar Evloev. I don’t have much to say about him sadly. He’s not a bad fighter, and he fights hard.

:siren:Bantamweight Marlon Vera vs Davey Grant
Ayy. Chito is back. He’s the Ecuadorian guy who beat Sean O’Malley and then went 3 hard rounds with Jose Aldo. His fighting style is “hard as nails” and “hits hard.” He’s primarily on the striker end of the spectrum. This is actually a rematch: British grappler Grant won a decision from Vera in 2016. Since then Vera has had 13 UFC fights, and Grant 5. Grant comes to us via being the runner up from the season of TUF coached by Rousey and Tate. Right now he’s on a 3 fight streak including two lovely come from behind “god he’s dead” left hook KOs. Vera is much better than the dudes Grant KOed, but Grant was an underdog for those, too.

Middleweight Wellington Turman vs Bruno Silva
Turman is one of those Brazilians who comes in as a bit of a hyped prospect and then gets finished and everyone forgets about them a bit. He’s now 1-2, most recently getting KOed by Andrew Sahcnez. Bruno Silva is a Brazilian making his UFC debut. His most noteworthy achievement is KOing Alexander Shlemenko in Russia. He got KOed on one of the TUF Brazil seasons a while back. He was supposed to fight Derron Winn in the UFC in 2019 but Silva failed a drug test, too.

:c: Welterweight Matt Brown vs Dhiego Lima
Brown is back. He holds, or has held, some records for most stoppages and consecutive KOs in UFC history. He is a self-described brawler. Some of his UFC fights (esp. vs Erik Silva) are among the best ever. He retired for a while and has come back to fight more because he likes it, with less than inspiring results. Lima the lesser has been holding onto the bottom of the division. His fighting style is tall and low urgency. He was on a three-fight streak against weak opposition before losing a decision to Belal Muhammad.

Prelims (ESPN+? Dunno)
Light Heavyweight Aleksa Camur vs Nicolae Negumereanu
? Nick Negumereanu is a Romanian who went lost his UFC debut in 2019 to Safarov. Camur is a 6-1 Bosnian-American Contender Series product with a 1-1 UFC record, most recently losing a decision to William Knight.

:siren:Strawweight Virna Jandiroba vs Kanako Murata
I’m excited for this one anyway. I don’t like the term “Dark Horse” but Jandiroba fits the definition. She’s 2-2 in the UFC, but those losses are to Carla Esparza and Mackenzie Dern in really competitive fights. Her wins are the kind of blowout submissions you’d expect an elite fighter to get over lesser competition. Before that she was the undefeated Invicta champ. She has really lovely jiu jitsu and a cool hat. Murata is a powerful Japanese wrestler who has also come via Invicta. In her UFC debut she dominated Randa Markos who, despite her crappy record, is usually able to take a round from most of her opponents.

:siren: Welterweight Khaos Williams vs Matthew Semelsberger
Williams is a “god he’s dead” striker who in his third UFC bout ran into Michel Pereira, failed to put him away within a minute, and then ran out of ideas. He here takes a step back into slightly lower-tier opposition. Semelsberger is 2-0 in the UC, having picked up a 16 second KO in March. That’s right: these fighters have 3 KOs totalling roughly 1:15.

:btroll: Heavyweight Josh Parisian vs Roque Martinez
Get your trashweights! Parisian is a scrappy underdog who tried like 4 times via DWCS and TUF to get into the UFC before he finally made it, and then he lost to a fat guy who now has 1 UFC win. Roque Martinez is a spherical fighter from Guam who is 0-2 in the UFC, but he also seems to have a brick for a head, and he has shown a few moments of good punching which I hesitate to call boxing.

Lightweight Joaquim Silva vs Rick Glenn
Rick Glenn is the former WSOF Champ but he has been hot and cold in the UFC. He somehow has a win over Gavin Tucker and a loss to Evan Dunham back to back. He moves back to lightweight after missing weight and losing to Kevin Aguilar. Silva has been floating around the FUC forever: he has a win over Reza Madadi, but is 4-2 overall. His last fight was a KO loss to Haqparast.

Flyweight Casey O’Neill vs Lara Procópio
Procópio is a 6-1 Brazilian with a win over Molly McCann. O’Neill is an undefeated Scott who ran through Shana Dobson in her debut, as one does.

Idk if the Tyson Nam fight is happening – Tapology says it’s off. We also lost a Tim Means fight this week. If those two dudes stay on the card either of them is worth watching, but idk who they’ll be fighting if they are.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
[cranberries intensifies]

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

https://twitter.com/PhotoAmy33/status/1405245154991108100

tkz loving rules

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I still laugh about him and his bud talking about Overeem’s tumbler in his pants.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

“I was shook.”

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
TUF Recap!

Episode 3: Bring in the Rhino

Team Volko is down 0-2, having lost their #1 pick in the last fight. Now, Volk's team has control of the fight selections, so let's see how things fare for them this week.

Raposo is sulking after the loss, adamant that Liudvik isn't better than him. He might be the first fighter, or even athlete, who can't stand, and in fact, hates losing.

Ortega and the coaches interrupt Liudvik doing a classic TUF Talking Head interview in a dark room. Mitch is upset!

Ryder Newman's Fight Prep is all about drilling wrestling. Newman says there aren't any strikers who can hang with Tresean, but a high level grappler could take him out.

Newman's nickname is "Rhino", which he got at a college party in West Virginia, when some drunk guys misheard the totally normal first name of "Ryder" as "Rhino". And now you know the rest of the story.

"Tresean is Explosive" counter: 1

Gore talks about sleeping in his car in the parking lot of the gym he trained at, in winter, with no heat and a faulty window that wouldn't roll up all the way.

Tresean Gore Home Video: He's from South Carolina, but is training in Norcross, GA. He says he's been married for "three to four" years, which doesn't seem like a contentious subject. It's a fixed date. Tresean's father wasn't around growing up, and is in jail even now. His mom got addicted, but he found BJJ, and is now at the American Top Team: Team Lima affiliate. Well, we saw Douglas Lima doing nothing on the bottom against Amosov last week, so that might not be the best for Gore :welp:

At the Team Ortega strategy meeting, Gore thinks Ryder is the type of guy to throw hooks and shoot a double. Ortega says he's a bar fighter that claims to do MMA "I do UFC" Gore offers. Tiki Ghosn is talking, for some reason that devout scholars cannot comprehend. Nobody has ever needed to hear Tiki Ghosn's opinion on anything.

Tresean Gore Fight Prep: Jab, avoid takedowns. Feint, make Ryder flinch. Gore says he's gonna shoot first because it'll be unexpected. Miles Hunsinger, a Team Ortega guy, trained with Ryder at Xtreme Couture, but won't divulge Ryder's secrets.

Tresean tells Ryder that Miles refused to give up intel, and Tresean and Ryder agree to have a good rear end fight. "Ryder has good vibes" - Bryan Battle

Ryder has a cleaning business and is trying to become an insurance broker, in addition to being a fighter. At least one of those has a potential to provide health insurance and some type of retirement opportunities.

Ryder Newman Home Movie: Ryder's out of Vegas, training at Xtreme Couture. Ryder gets to train with Jake Shields and Brad Tavares.

Weigh ins are once again uneventful, with no footage of the cut being shown. Maybe UFC finally realized that the horrible punishment fighters put themselves through to potentially gain a negligible advantage isn't the kind of content for the ESPN crowd. They jabber during the face-off, but cooler heads prevail and it gets defused with a bro handshake.

THE ULTIMATE FIGHTER FLASHBACK, BROUGHT TO YOU BY TOYO TIRES is:

That time Uriah Hall straight up killed Adam Cella with a spinning wheel kick. Now that it's on ESPN+ and not Spike TV, you get the full, uncensored version, which sees Dana White go "loving GOD! YOU making GBS threads ME?! HOLY poo poo!" as Cella's body lays on the canvas. Repeat after me, class

sorry adam

Ryder declares "no takedowns" and that he's going to open the fight with a flying, spinning heel kick. Tresean isn't exactly buying that.

Tresean says he had a dream about his grandma (i think dead grandma?) telling him he was going to win. So he's got that going for him.

We got about 15 minutes of run time left, so if you add in the breakdown and next week's fight selection, I'm guessing this goes midway into round 2

Fight Time!

Tale of the Tape

Ryder "Rhino" Newman
Height: 6'1"
Weight: 185.5lbs
Reach: 74"

Tresean "Mr. Vicious" Gore
Height: 6'0"
Weight: 186lbs
Reach: 73.5"

Round 1

Gore doesn't shoot and Newman doesn't jump or spin, so I'm fuckin peeved about these GOD drat LIARS. Gore throws some nice front leg body kicks and rear leg low kicks. Tresean with a solid diet of lowkicks and Newman just slurps 'em down.

Newman lands some punches, a few to the body, some up top, but hasn't connected with much of anything after 4 minutes. Gore shoots, Ryder defends. Ryder shoots, Gore drops briefly to his knees, but recovers back to a vertical base. Newman ends the round pushing Tresean against the fence. Pretty sure Gore is up 1-0

In the corner, Gore asks if he won the round, and to confirm that Newman didn't take him down at the end of the round. Volkanovski tells Newman to look out for Gore's kicks, but that Tresean is only throwing one-offs.

Round 2

Both men start the round with some jabs, and Tresean is back to looking for low and high kicks. Newman slips a jab and lands a nice cross, but Gore is unfazed. Ryder's getting a bit better about avoiding Gore's single, naked lowkicks.

Big shot from Newman, Gore defends and they separate. Tresean lands a good highkick. Gore with a good cross.

Gore landing some stiff jabs, forces a shot out of Newman, but Tresean escapes. Round is over, should go to Gore, 2-0.

Tresean wins by unanimous decision. Team Volko is down 0-3 and both top picks have lost. Guess you kill the Rhino by lowkicks.

"Tresean kicks like a drat-fuckin' horse" - Brian Ortega

Ryder says his downfall was thinking Tresean was better than he actually is, making himself hesitate too much. You'd think about a few minutes of not being blown away, you'd realize his actual skill level? But alas, I am no fighter, but a truer essence of a warrior, A Poster.

Next week! Fight picked once again by Alex "I am pitching an 0-for" Volkanovski, Dustin Lampros of Team Volk vs Vincent Murdock.

Dustin says he keeps a golf glove him on at all times "because you never know when you'll have to tee off on someone" and now I want him to lose more than I've wanted just about any non-criminal in TUF history.

Also next week, Vince shares details of his brain disease with Team Ortega, so either: 1) he won't be medically cleared to fight or 2) this was something he had as a kid but is now a Struggle that He Done Overcomed to make him More Stronger.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Is this cause of China?

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

beep by grandpa posted:

Is this cause of China?

it's because he's wearing non-venum gear during a fight-week media obligation

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Wait, is it losers pick the fights this season on TUF?

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

CommonShore posted:

Wait, is it losers pick the fights this season on TUF?

Pretty sure the set up is going to be:

- Volk got first pick of fighters, and since they alternated divisions, he got his first choice of bantam and middleweights
- Ortega got first pick of fights, both bantam and middleweights

Then Volk picks a bantam and middle, then it should go back to Ortega, in a completely ridiculous set up.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

LobsterMobster posted:

it's because he's wearing non-venum gear during a fight-week media obligation

Oh okay

If anyone was wondering why I said that, I know China has some weird state censorship crap about stuff like zombies, undead, etc

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
TUF recaps both make me want to watch TUF and thankful I'm not watching TUF

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

leftist heap posted:

TUF recaps both make me want to watch TUF and thankful I'm not watching TUF

i remember i spent an entire xmas period holiday off work watching tuf 1 through bisping / mayhem. like literally nearly all of it. i'll be on my death bed trying to justify that to myself and die miserable.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I watched the early TUF seasons sporadically because I was poo poo at catching regularly scheduled TV at that time due to work and school and alcoholism.

when TUF 10 (Roy Nelson, Schaub, Kimbo) hit I had the bright idea of starting to pirate it so I could watch it on my own time, and then I watched it pretty regularly up through Bisping-Miller (which was TUF 14?).

Then I started just watching the fights for a few seasons, if I bothered to remember. Jones-Sonnen was pretty good overall so I ended up watching most of that one.

Then I watched TUF: Strawweights, and basically lost interest after that ended.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Randleplex got me into mma. (lol I was a big fedor fan :negative: )

... I'm a Fedor fan... and Saku... ?

Do we not like them 'round here or some poo poo?

reeg
Jul 5, 2002

TUF was pretty fun this week, Tresean kept trying to intimidate Ryder but Ryder was too stupid to understand what was happening

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

BrotherJayne posted:

... I'm a Fedor fan... and Saku... ?

Do we not like them 'round here or some poo poo?

There was an exceptionally annoying Fedor fan here a long time ago, called 'Socrates.' As a result, the board's regulars spent so much time having to rebut his really stupid posts about Fedor that he ended up regarded negatively. Kind of like how a lot of people loved mocking BJ Penn before his career got really depressing, thanks to his incredibly annoying fanbase.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Snowman_McK posted:

There was an exceptionally annoying Fedor fan here a long time ago, called 'Socrates.' As a result, the board's regulars spent so much time having to rebut his really stupid posts about Fedor that he ended up regarded negatively. Kind of like how a lot of people loved mocking BJ Penn before his career got really depressing, thanks to his incredibly annoying fanbase.

That moron got banned because of their constant refrain that it was completely OK that Fedor trained with neo nazis and when they were told to knock it off or get banned, they doubled down and got banned. Also they kept posting like "dear sir" and "mayhap your post is an ad hominen" etc etc the exact kind of poo poo idiots post when they're trying to be smart.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Memento posted:

That moron got banned because of their constant refrain that it was completely OK that Fedor trained with neo nazis and when they were told to knock it off or get banned, they doubled down and got banned. Also they kept posting like "dear sir" and "mayhap your post is an ad hominen" etc etc the exact kind of poo poo idiots post when they're trying to be smart.
maybe i spent myself a little too hard working out today just now but i laughed really hard at this lol

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
So Saerna was... the good Fedor poster?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Memento posted:

Also they kept posting like "dear sir" and "mayhap your post is an ad hominen" etc etc the exact kind of poo poo idiots post when they're trying to be smart.

This is also how I post too but it's when I am trying to be the most relentlessly annoying shitstain imaginable