Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Larryb posted:

Unova was just a strange exception in all fairness, they start getting back to normal again from Kalos onward (Jessie even starts doing contests again in that season).

On another note, with the word tour setup they have going in the current series that actually raises a question: do we necessarily NEED another season when the next major game comes out or could they just keep Journeys going and simply add the new region/Pokemon/characters into the mix?

We never 'need' a new season, but it's not a bad idea to keep fresh blood in the mix and for them to shill whatever chosen characters are Ash's companions for that region. More characters means more money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

ApplesandOranges posted:

We never 'need' a new season, but it's not a bad idea to keep fresh blood in the mix and for them to shill whatever chosen characters are Ash's companions for that region. More characters means more money.

Yeah, that makes sense. It just feels like the current setup could probably go on forever if they wanted to (just give Ash a new goal once he finally gets his fight with Leon).

Speaking of, is there a particular reason why they decided to go with the current setup for the recent anime rather than just doing a straight Galar season like usual?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
My guess is just straight up they're at the point where the planning board is "how to include the new game? how do we make it different than the past 20 years?" SM doing a comedic slice of life that took the games' trial idea to fully escape the gyms, and now in this one having a points-based online-competition style before the tournament, plus doing the whole world.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Though since a lot of them have VAs now thanks to Twilight Wings maybe we’ll at least see some more Galar trainers pop up in the main anime eventually if nothing else (I’m still holding out hope for Marnie, Piers, and/or Klara myself)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Jun 17, 2021

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

ungulateman posted:

It evolves into cofagrigus
That's what the point of yamask is

No, its to cover yaface!

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Larryb posted:

Though since a lot of them have VAs now thanks to Twilight Wings maybe we’ll at least see some more Galar trainers pop up in the main anime eventually if nothing else (I’m still holding out hope for Marnie, Piers, and/or Klara myself)

Piers will be in the anime, but once again without voice acting. Just microphone feedback noises

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Scholtz posted:

Piers will be in the anime, but once again without voice acting. Just microphone feedback noises

They already got a VA for him in Twilight Wings (though I think he only said like one line) and another more recently in the mobile game Pokemon Masters.

Your suggestion is funnier though

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Put Hilda in the anime, cowards

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

Put Hilda in the anime, cowards

Yeah, it’s kind of weird she never showed up honestly as based on Masters and the manga she seems like she’d be a fun character (there’s not a lot of female characters in the series that are passionate about Pokemon battles specifically as far as I can remember)

She’d probably get along great with Ash in that respect actually.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jun 17, 2021

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
The Pokemon MOBA is coming next month.

https://twitter.com/pokemonunite/status/1405515324934397954

I don’t know why the idea of a Pokemon MOBA is so funny to me, but I guess it just is.

Plasbad
Oct 2, 2013
Apparently people who've had a chance to play test it have a pretty positive opinion on it. Also there are loads of cool and interesting mons to pick, like Crustle and Slowbro. I'm honestly interested in trying it out.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

X-Ray Pecs posted:

The Pokemon MOBA is coming next month.

https://twitter.com/pokemonunite/status/1405515324934397954

I don’t know why the idea of a Pokemon MOBA is so funny to me, but I guess it just is.

Its not appealing to me but i do honestly like them experimenting so im glad it exists

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I like that the Lore of that game is that some scientists discovered some kinda energy in international waters, and one of them decided to make it into a bloodsport unbound from any region's laws.

But i'm wiht Mandatory lesbian. It doesnt appeal to me, but i'm glad they're experimenting, I hope people enjoy it, and finally I hope it gets even more costumes. Look at this render of Venasaur in a summer outfit.
https://twitter.com/pokejungle/status/1405516463704793091

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

mandatory lesbian posted:

Its not appealing to me but i do honestly like them experimenting so im glad it exists

Yeah, it's not my thing but I'm still glad they're trying new things.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
It just seems way too late for a MOBA. It’s been supplanted by Battle Royale for a while now as the big fad among the youths. It’s like when a CG kids cartoon comes out in theaters but all the pop-culture references are already out of date.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

galagazombie posted:

It just seems way too late for a MOBA. It’s been supplanted by Battle Royale for a while now as the big fad among the youths. It’s like when a CG kids cartoon comes out in theaters but all the pop-culture references are already out of date.

The Pokemon Company is about a decade behind the rest of the gaming world

I can't wait for them to get to the Battle Royale phase though, especially since by then we'll hopefully be able to have 900+ people on a single server

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
I just laughed like an idiot when I saw this. Courtesy of Reddit:

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
Just got off the phone with my uncle at Nintendo. The Magikarp Salesman is going to be in the next pokemon game but this time he is going to sell MagikarpCoin (each MagikarpCoin is a token on the Etherium blockchain, and is mathematically guaranteed to increase in value, and is also a Magikarp)

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

So the japanese stress test just started. Some folk are trying to get in on it
https://clips.twitch.tv/ObeseFantasticEndiveHotPokket-tQDAnXccTKqY1wHi

(it works the second time, at least the tutorial)

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

so far playing with the switch vs mobile for unite is more comfortable for longevity imo. they even throw enough resources at you to pick up most of the Pokémon right off the rip so that you can give a bunch a try. Lag from NA East to it isn't even that bad either, which is nice after hearing about some of the high lag issues to the previous beta from EU to Canada. Overall they've made some good improvements and I'm very excited for full release.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

In regards to the latest anime episode, Meowth has experienced the same lesson dozens of times now (he even traveled with Ash and Co. for a while back in BW though that turned out to be a part of a ridiculously complicated scheme), you’d think something would have sunk in by now.

That said, it could be interesting if they followed up on the whole thing with him and Koharu/Chloe in the future but I’m not sure if the writers would be willing to change the status quo in such a major way

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Larryb posted:

In regards to the latest anime episode, Meowth has experienced the same lesson dozens of times now (he even traveled with Ash and Co. for a while back in BW though that turned out to be a part of a ridiculously complicated scheme), you’d think something would have sunk in by now.

That said, it could be interesting if they followed up on the whole thing with him and Koharu/Chloe in the future but I’m not sure if the writers would be willing to change the status quo in such a major way

Meowth being thirsty and it going nowhere has been a thing since the OS when they first introduced the idea

The fact his abuse and misery is played for laughs should be a pretty big indicator he's never settling down

He's also more of a lopunny, gardevoir, leafeon and glaceon kinda guy, so it's nice seeing him branch out

...except Koharu is ten and he's probably in his thirties by this point, so...

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Vinylshadow posted:

Meowth being thirsty and it going nowhere has been a thing since the OS when they first introduced the idea

The fact his abuse and misery is played for laughs should be a pretty big indicator he's never settling down

He's also more of a lopunny, gardevoir, leafeon and glaceon kinda guy, so it's nice seeing him branch out

...except Koharu is ten and he's probably in his thirties by this point, so...

I meant more him allowing her to catch him (which I think is the first time he’s even considered the possibility), but I doubt the writers would be willing to break up the Team Rocket dynamic that drastically.

Plus, even if she did they’d probably find some excuse for him to go running back to Jessie and James at some point anyway.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I'm playing Sword

I think I'm having an OK time

But I don't like any of the Pokemon I have found.

I did a dozen Surprise Trades and got six level 100 legendaries with nicknames like "pkmlabs . com" so I'm just going to use them to steamroll the Dragon gym and hopefully unlock a more fun post-game

I don't think I really understand what's going on with those giant battles in the Wild Zone. The offline NPC Trainers certainly don't help at all

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I'm playing Sword

I think I'm having an OK time

But I don't like any of the Pokemon I have found.
Yes, that's pokemon sword

quote:

I did a dozen Surprise Trades and got six level 100 legendaries with nicknames like "pkmlabs . com" so I'm just going to use them to steamroll the Dragon gym and hopefully unlock a more fun post-game
They're hacked perfect pokemon. Going to their website and you can buy whatever you need for your team. Don't upload them to home.

quote:

I don't think I really understand what's going on with those giant battles in the Wild Zone. The offline NPC Trainers certainly don't help at all

The offline NPC trainers suck, and if you invite real trainers you might get a level 100 ringer to join you. The benefit is you can get valuable items (to sell, or rare TRs for moves) and the pokemon you catch might have their hidden ability.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

HootTheOwl posted:

Yes, that's pokemon sword

They're hacked perfect pokemon. Going to their website and you can buy whatever you need for your team. Don't upload them to home.

The offline NPC trainers suck, and if you invite real trainers you might get a level 100 ringer to join you. The benefit is you can get valuable items (to sell, or rare TRs for moves) and the pokemon you catch might have their hidden ability.

Thank you! Are the catches guaranteed after you knock them out? I've just been KOing them and tossing a basic ball and I think it has worked every time

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Thank you! Are the catches guaranteed after you knock them out? I've just been KOing them and tossing a basic ball and I think it has worked every time

No, especially as you go after higher star pokemon the catch rate drops a lot. Its a huge grind.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Zore posted:

No, especially as you go after higher star pokemon the catch rate drops a lot. Its a huge grind.

That's quite annoying. Especially because they recently started throwing up a Shield that absorbs the next 5 attacks? drat fights take forever

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

I thought the wild area was gonna be the thing that got me into pokemon post-game for the first time after only going through the story since Gen 2. with some very minor changes it could have been really good.

QuietLion
Aug 16, 2011

Da realest Kirby
Catch rates for hosts (i.e. whoever clicks on “Invite Others” with an online lobby or if you do a den offline) has a 100% catch rate with any ball. The only exception to this are the monthly promo dens that rotate, with the current Early Game Pokémon event being an example. The levels of the offline Trainer helpers are also based on how many badges you have, with them scaling up to 70 and never really being helpful.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

QuietLion posted:

Catch rates for hosts (i.e. whoever clicks on “Invite Others” with an online lobby or if you do a den offline) has a 100% catch rate with any ball. The only exception to this are the monthly promo dens that rotate, with the current Early Game Pokémon event being an example. The levels of the offline Trainer helpers are also based on how many badges you have, with them scaling up to 70 and never really being helpful.

I just KO'd a Ditto and threw an Ultra Ball and he escaped??? WTF

QuietLion
Aug 16, 2011

Da realest Kirby

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I just KO'd a Ditto and threw an Ultra Ball and he escaped??? WTF
That ditto was probably from an Event Den, in which case the game assigns a catch rate other than 100% to the critter. Event Dens can spawn as a Red Beam, here is a link to the serebii page for the current event: https://serebii.net/swordshield/maxraidbattles/eventden-april2021.shtml

In addition, if you are a guest in another player’s den, the Pokémon then has its species catch rate, or 3 if it is a GMax monster.

Edit: it is marked as April 2021 but the event has extended out to July 1 at the least.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

QuietLion posted:

That ditto was probably from an Event Den, in which case the game assigns a catch rate other than 100% to the critter. Event Dens can spawn as a Red Beam, here is a link to the serebii page for the current event: https://serebii.net/swordshield/maxraidbattles/eventden-april2021.shtml

In addition, if you are a guest in another player’s den, the Pokémon then has its species catch rate, or 3 if it is a GMax monster.

Edit: it is marked as April 2021 but the event has extended out to July 1 at the least.

Ahhh interesting. About 90% of the beams are a single, thin red beam. The other 10% are a chunky purple beam with swirling Energy Clouds or something. I wondered what the difference was!

QuietLion
Aug 16, 2011

Da realest Kirby

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Ahhh interesting. About 90% of the beams are a single, thin red beam. The other 10% are a chunky purple beam with swirling Energy Clouds or something. I wondered what the difference was!
Those Purple Beams are indeed a 10% chance to spawn! :eng101: you have 1 guaranteed spawn of a Purple Beam when the map reloads “natural” beam spawns in the Wild Area at midnight on your Switch’s clock or when you fully clear the map of “natural” spawns. You also have a 10% chance of rolling Purple when using a Wishing Piece (gained through a few ways but primarily trading Watts for Pieces from the League Volunteers scattered in the WA). Purple beams sometimes have Pokémon with Hidden Abilities, a GMax, or even a different potential “roster” of Pokémon based on the den!

In the Wild Area, most Purple Beams only give a chance to roll HA but any Purple Beam Pokémon in the dlc areas of Isle of Armor and The Crown Tundra will always have their HA.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

That's quite annoying. Especially because they recently started throwing up a Shield that absorbs the next 5 attacks? drat fights take forever

Using Dynamax moves take out 2 shield points and, if the level/type advantage are good enough, do damage past the shield. Once you're at high levels, t's not super rare to take out a Max Raid Pokemon with some shield intact.

QuietLion posted:

The levels of the offline Trainer helpers are also based on how many badges you have, with them scaling up to 70 and never really being helpful.

If you get ones that just attack, that's helpful, but there are a handful that only do lovely status moves repeatedly and are just fodder to kick you out early.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

https://twitter.com/pokemon/status/1410628009078542338?s=21

What the gently caress

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Gen 4 remakes looking dope

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I really like how it brings back to the internet era of Gen 4. Better, simpler times.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
Got Nintendo WI-FI mystery gift to work on my gen IV games with a friend. Got a bunch of cool Mystery Gift stuff. Gonna do it again with said friend in a few weeks, and score myself an extra Mew and Jirachi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

How long has Bidoof Day been a thing? Pokemon Masters is currently doing an event for it as well (so is Pokemon GO apparently)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jul 1, 2021