Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Leal posted:

I have been launched in Skyrim VR

:barf:

The first time I tried Skyrim VR I modded it up all up and started and the wagon started freaking out and jumping all over the place with me in it. I closed my eyes and alt+f4ed skyrim and immediately downloaded an alternate start mod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

njsykora posted:

Because without games there is no Oculus and pissing off developers has historically been a fast track to systems dying.

As mentioned you are out of your mind if you think this isn't baked into all those Oculus exclusives. Moreover, Oculus games will do whatever Facebook wants because they are facebook.

There is no market correction we're heading for with this. People scoffed at the idea that they'd require a facebook account yet here we are. We're past that line, the end result is worse than you and I wished it would be.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

A reminder that Facebook is in the process of buying any developer that makes a top 10 VR game so they are all making 1st party games now.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
Mandatory IGA would be a very unusual clause in a third party exclusivity contract, if it had been in any of them I would have expected it to leak before this.

Obviously they can put it into all the first party games they want, though, and as has been observed that's a lot of them.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Oh look; This is my surprised face :nallears:.

quote:

Facebook says that it does not use the following information to target ads:
  • “We do not use information processed and stored locally on your headset to target ads. Processing and storing information on the device means it doesn’t leave your headset or reach Facebook servers, so it can’t be used for advertising. Examples of data that are processed on device include raw images from the sensors on Quest and images of your hands (if you choose to enable hand tracking), which are both overwritten instantaneously. Examples of data that are stored locally on-device include any weight, height, or gender information that you choose to provide to Oculus Move.”
  • “We take extra precautions around the use of movement data like minimizing what we need to deliver a safe and immersive VR experience—for example, to keep you safe from bumping into real-world objects and making your avatar duck while playing a game—and we have no plans to use movement data to target ads.”
  • “Finally, we do not use the content of your conversations with people on apps like Messenger, Parties, and chats or your voice interactions to target ads. This includes any audio your microphone picks up when you use our voice commands feature, like “Hey Facebook, show me who’s online.”

What UploadVR failed to notice was the inferred "for now". They wouldn't do all that right off the bat, buuuut six months/a year from now when you're all happily putting up with ads in FacebookVR Oculus games? "Hey guys, we're gonna start tracking data from your headset for uh....*checks notes* quality purposes. You can opt out, but it's on by default...."

Also that last one is laughably technically-correct; They're not using the contents of your voice interactions yet because they don't have the means to do so yet.

The Walrus posted:

Yeah I sweat a lot, I'll pour sweat when running in the summer. I also go full intensity in everything, I'm that dude dancing his heart out at a show but also just drenched so nobody wants to get too close. My original point is still valid which is that when you have like nineteen possible failure points on your system and each one costs half as much to as much as the entire Q2 to replace, it's an issue. And all of this stuff is absolutely prone to failure. For your anecdote there's just as many you can find where people are having random trackpad issues, tracking issues, VR arcade owners needing to replace wands too often - all stuff I saw described in the many times I was searching for fixes for my issues.

You should get the Hyperkin gel skins for your wands at least if you haven't already.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

The Walrus posted:

Yeah I sweat a lot, I'll pour sweat when running in the summer. I also go full intensity in everything, I'm that dude dancing his heart out at a show but also just drenched so nobody wants to get too close. My original point is still valid which is that when you have like nineteen possible failure points on your system and each one costs half as much to as much as the entire Q2 to replace, it's an issue. And all of this stuff is absolutely prone to failure. For your anecdote there's just as many you can find where people are having random trackpad issues, tracking issues, VR arcade owners needing to replace wands too often - all stuff I saw described in the many times I was searching for fixes for my issues.

OH hell yeah, the shits way priced insane. Its sad and depressing thinking how much money I have in controllers/light houses laying around. And replacing that stuff as a normal rear end person is not a cheap deal. No disagreement there. Thats always been 100% my hangup with HTC stuff. Price.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You should get the Hyperkin gel skins for your wands at least if you haven't already.

Doesn't really help unfortunately, too many holes. But that is what went on over the Saran Wrap for grip.

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001
I noticed something last night on the Quest 2 that is kind of crazy. I was playing in my office where I have my desk added into VR. When I first started the quest up it flashed the outline of my couch which is two rooms away, but it got the location exactly right. It's like I could see my couch across the apartment through the walls. What is so weird about this is I have never joined up the play spaces. I have no idea how it knows where to place the couch outline.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Shemp the Stooge posted:

I noticed something last night on the Quest 2 that is kind of crazy. I was playing in my office where I have my desk added into VR. When I first started the quest up it flashed the outline of my couch which is two rooms away, but it got the location exactly right. It's like I could see my couch across the apartment through the walls. What is so weird about this is I have never joined up the play spaces. I have no idea how it knows where to place the couch outline.

Yeah, I've taken the Quest to the next room sometimes and I can see the outline of the other room's playspace in what looks to be the exact right place on the other side of the wall.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Well, as the person who pops in to say “the new elite strap is fine” all the time………..it’s not fine

So can someone link me to the current hotness for Amazon 3rd party elite straps?

Feel free to say I told you so but only if you link me to a good replacement.

GoodApollo
Jul 9, 2005

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Well, as the person who pops in to say “the new elite strap is fine” all the time………..it’s not fine

So can someone link me to the current hotness for Amazon 3rd party elite straps?

When mine broke I bought this halo strap and I found it to be a revelation.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I highly recommend the DAS Frankenquest if you are ok with earphones.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

The curious thing is that Facebook is starting with what it could be the proven bad approach, ads directly ingame. Don't people remember that was already tried in normal, 2d games? There were a few attempts in the 00's, but they never seem to congeal into something worth it. I remember when Quake Live was supposed to use ingame ads to support the free game structure. Never happened.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I remember figuring out how to replace the ads in Battlefield 2142 and I made a bunch of forum meme images for it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Turin Turambar posted:

The curious thing is that Facebook is starting with what it could be the proven bad approach, ads directly ingame. Don't people remember that was already tried in normal, 2d games? There were a few attempts in the 00's, but they never seem to congeal into something worth it. I remember when Quake Live was supposed to use ingame ads to support the free game structure. Never happened.

The difference is Facebook has all the ads they need ready to go. Prior attempts had to convince companies into putting their ads on those game services.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The difference is Facebook has all the ads they need ready to go. Prior attempts had to convince companies into putting their ads on those game services.

You still have to convince those companies to spend worthwhile amounts of money for advertising in VR. Hulu is and was owned by networks with supposedly built-in advertisers, but it took them years to convince the bigger brands to buy slots on streaming. Even today, you can get the same ad 5 times in one show because they don’t have any other ads to show. VR is still very niche and its demographics are nowhere near as representative as FB’s. Non-tech/gaming brands will mostly sit it out until VR becomes more mainstream.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Shemp the Stooge posted:

Have you ever walked between play spaces with the headset on? I walked out of a guardian boundary once, and walked to another room with passthrough on and set up a new guardian boundary, and it now knows where those two are relative two each other, and my sofa. It's pretty smart. But if you haven't ever walked round your house with it on then that's pretty nuts.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

theflyingexecutive posted:

You still have to convince those companies to spend worthwhile amounts of money for advertising in VR. Hulu is and was owned by networks with supposedly built-in advertisers, but it took them years to convince the bigger brands to buy slots on streaming. Even today, you can get the same ad 5 times in one show because they don’t have any other ads to show. VR is still very niche and its demographics are nowhere near as representative as FB’s. Non-tech/gaming brands will mostly sit it out until VR becomes more mainstream.

Facebook is the marketing company though, and this is what Facebook's been working towards all this time to actually profit off their investment. I doubt they're gonna set all this up without batches of ads ready to go.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

While we love the doom & gloom, it seems the ads will be opt-in* for devs. So right now if ads appears in Blaston, it will be more Resolution Games fault...

What bothers me it's that Blaston is a paid product, it would be a different thing if this started in a f2p game.

*: for now...

Shoefish
Sep 29, 2005
captain haggis mcnipplesworthy
Really enjoying the Iron rebellion alpha. Not a tonne of gameplay in it, just one wave survival map, but they have nailed the stompy bot feel and it's great. https://store.steampowered.com/app/1192900/IRON_REBELLION/

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Turin Turambar posted:

While we love the doom & gloom, it seems the ads will be opt-in* for devs. So right now if ads appears in Blaston, it will be more Resolution Games fault...

What bothers me it's that Blaston is a paid product, it would be a different thing if this started in a f2p game.

*: for now...

I'm sure Facebook will give the studios they own a choice in that matter.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
300 dollar wireless VR headset... but with opt-in ads in development mode!

*the crowd gasps*

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I've been getting back into VR after upgrading some PC parts and this is probably a stupid question but is it like...Normal, for stuff to be a little hazy? I'm not talking 'i forgot my glasses' blurry (which is all googling seems to bring up) but the image never feels particularly sharp. I dunno if this is just how VR is or what. It's not a huge deal though but it is a bit annoying when it makes me feel nearsighted in games like Alyx where stuff a little far away is out of focus a tad bit. Mostly talking like text and such. I tried messing around with the IPD and didn't notice a real difference.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Now it makes sense why they bought the population one devs. The game is littered with billboards that just display the Pop1 logo. Someone’s boutta be replacing all those with real ads

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

GoodApollo posted:

When mine broke I bought this halo strap and I found it to be a revelation.

I am not a super big fan of halo straps, due to having a big dumb head, is there one that’s basically a direct replacement for the elite strap but also not going to break?

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I've been getting back into VR after upgrading some PC parts and this is probably a stupid question but is it like...Normal, for stuff to be a little hazy? I'm not talking 'i forgot my glasses' blurry (which is all googling seems to bring up) but the image never feels particularly sharp. I dunno if this is just how VR is or what. It's not a huge deal though but it is a bit annoying when it makes me feel nearsighted in games like Alyx where stuff a little far away is out of focus a tad bit. Mostly talking like text and such. I tried messing around with the IPD and didn't notice a real difference.
Which headset are you using? If you have decent lenses and get your settings dialed in, text should be pretty clear.

Honestly one of the biggest drawbacks of VR (for me, at least) is the fact that each headset's ideal resolution isn't simply identified by default. I have to deal with multiple programs that handle resolution and/or scaling differently, I'm never quite sure which one is in charge, and then every individual game has settings which feel like they're conflicting with everything else.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

Which headset are you using? If you have decent lenses and get your settings dialed in, text should be pretty clear.

Honestly one of the biggest drawbacks of VR (for me, at least) is the fact that each headset's ideal resolution isn't simply identified by default. I have to deal with multiple programs that handle resolution and/or scaling differently, I'm never quite sure which one is in charge, and then every individual game has settings which feel like they're conflicting with everything else.

I'm using a Rift S, should have specified. I haven't messed with resolution setting stuff so maybe that's the culprit?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I'm using a Rift S, should have specified. I haven't messed with resolution setting stuff so maybe that's the culprit?

Take a look in the SteamVR settings and make sure the resolution is at 100% and not like 120-130% as it likes to default to.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I guess you already cleaned it with a microfiber cloth?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

If you havent signed up for your complementary quest facial interface replacement, I suggest doing so.

1) theyre overnighting them, which is bananas

2) theyre sending vrcover units with a frame and two separate vinyl padded covers

Pretty nice gesture all things considered.

Thank..youzuckerberg?

Do you have the link handy? I can't remember where it was posted in thread.
e: never mind, saw it on the last page
https://tickets.oculusvr.com/hc/en-us/requests/new?ticket_form_id=360001267272

raditts fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Jun 17, 2021

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I am not a super big fan of halo straps, due to having a big dumb head, is there one that’s basically a direct replacement for the elite strap but also not going to break?

I have a last-tick-on-a-baseball-hat big head and that halo strap is pretty good

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I tried playing Walkabout Minigolf with my friend last night and my Q2 was doing some real weird poo poo, basically the screen kept going black and I'd get the "Lost tracking" message, but it was cutting the audio in and out like it was lagging too. It'd catch up and start working again and then randomly flash black and then do the whole thing over again. I was in a well lit room that I've played in before, my only thought was that my right controller was actually super low on battery and the headset was kinda low so maybe it just couldn't track it for some reason? I picked up new batteries and will try again tonight to see if it's still happening after fully charging the headset too.

I've also gone back to the normal strap because the elite strap finally broke after the stress fractures started appearing when I put the replacement VRCover on it. I will also eat my words because I figured the complaints were overblown but the design of this elite strap is just confounding. I forgot how much the normal strap kinda sucks :(

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
Man I really like the quest 2 and Oculus has made some great hardware and games but gently caress I just don't want the future of this tech dictated by loving Facebook.

This is some monkeys paw poo poo

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

explosivo posted:

I tried playing Walkabout Minigolf with my friend last night and my Q2 was doing some real weird poo poo, basically the screen kept going black and I'd get the "Lost tracking" message, but it was cutting the audio in and out like it was lagging too.

The last part makes me think it wasn't really a problem with the tracking, but more general: reboot it.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Turin Turambar posted:

The last part makes me think it wasn't really a problem with the tracking, but more general: reboot it.

I think you're right, I'll try tonight. Thanks!

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

I hope there are some really good in game ads while i play this active shooter drill game!

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/quest/4068694166508791/

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

explosivo posted:

I think you're right, I'll try tonight. Thanks!

/solves IT problems on the work
/browse the web in the middle of the work
/solves IT problems while browsing the web

:P

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
On the subject of Quest 2 straps, looks like Rebuff Reality's caught on to the Frankenquest's popularity as they've released a head strap that looks awfully DAS-like.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

There's like a million Chinese knockoffs on Amazon. Just if you don't want to use headphones, make sure you double check whether they have integrated speakers or not, because a lot don't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pantsfree
Oct 22, 2012
Larcenauts is out today, 6v6 class-based shooter in the vein of tf2/apex/overwatch, on both quest and pc:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HkHolOKvm8

https://store.steampowered.com/app/421190/Larcenauts/
https://www.oculus.com/experiences/quest/3126295830741280/

Launches with 8 classes and 4 maps. If they've executed it well this could be v popular.