Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Waffleman_ posted:

Weird faces aren't pretty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

In regards to my previous post I don’t think I ever actually watched Sgt. Frog but apparently it’s a bit of a beast in terms of episode count. Is the show worth the effort?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
90's.jpg

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
don't "90's.jpg" rayearth

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I never said it was a bad thing. :colbert:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Hey don't look at me, I was just sayin' what the animator mens were thinking.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Waffleman_ posted:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
I watched the first episode of Record of Ragnarok and was like “Weird choice to not translate the name cards in the corner if I’m watching in japanese with subtitles, also Brunhilde isn’t being very silly”. Then I come in here and see it turns into a slideshow, and she just doesn’t do wacky faces? I’m so disappointed. I mean I expected some weak animation because Netflix and the series has really detailed art, but the example posted earlier is absurd. There are so many better ways to utilize limited frames of animation.

I’ll still watch that garbage just to post a full troop report.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
As it's been mentioned here and elsewhere: Manpower + Resources for making anime are getting stretched the hell out. Like "crunch-time for video game development"-bad and, pardon my french, but that's loving insane.

Like what was that article where that one company (Kadokawa, I think?) is planning to have like 48 anime shows done for 2022?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah Kadokawa plans to farm out 40 of their LN/Manga properties into anime (counting movies I think?) next year. It's insane and is going to lead to some really low-tier anime of equally low-tier properties.

Edit: Here's the first hit on google for that https://comicbook.com/anime/news/kadokawa-anime-studio-debate-40-shows-a-year/

Kwyndig fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jun 17, 2021

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Wait is Sgt Frog STILL going

Acerbatus posted:

It's trashy and I love it.
Sounds like something by the hatsukoi zombie author then

Larryb posted:

In regards to my previous post I don’t think I ever actually watched Sgt. Frog but apparently it’s a bit of a beast in terms of episode count. Is the show worth the effort?
Sgt Frog is kinda bland but can be pretty fun. The manga is mostly a decent gag comedy and plays with drama extremely freely, flipping back to a typical status quo comedy on a dime, but it's mostly a good time. I remember binging the entire anime, like 160 episodes or something at the time, and I literally don't remember a thing about it except it's utterly crammed full of gunpla shilling. Way more than the manga even. I remember some of the movies being pretty fun, but they're self-contained and never affect anything, the last one I saw was iirc the dragon one.

It's an okay thing if you've got nothing else to watch, I don't think it's BAD but I dunno if it'll leave any lasting impression on you. The manga is better from what I recall, I read up through the first dozen or so volumes.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I want permission to make a funny anime/manga faces thread.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Grouchio posted:

PYF don't need no permission slips.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Anything even remotely related to anime in PYF usually results in multiple pages of complaining from goons who have weird hangups about anime and people going "hmm, yes, anime is blood"

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Grouchio posted:

You don't need permission to make threads Grouchio. You :justpost: and if it's good it gets activity, if it's bad it dies or gets gassed.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

Wait is Sgt Frog STILL going

Is it? I was under the impression that both the anime and manga came to an end a long time ago

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Larryb posted:

Is it? I was under the impression that both the anime and manga came to an end a long time ago

The manga is still ongoing - the anime ended

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

hmm, yes, anime IS blood

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

It's not a real seinen anime unless it looks like poo poo. Frankly this has improved my opinion of Shuumatsu no Valkyrie and makes it more legitimate in my eyes

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

now they just need to downscale it to 480p and then blow it up to HD resolution

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Aurora posted:

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Aurora posted:

this but unironically

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Quicktime or get out

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Kwyndig posted:

Yeah Kadokawa plans to farm out 40 of their LN/Manga properties into anime (counting movies I think?) next year. It's insane and is going to lead to some really low-tier anime of equally low-tier properties.

Edit: Here's the first hit on google for that https://comicbook.com/anime/news/kadokawa-anime-studio-debate-40-shows-a-year/

the worst part is that the more obscure stuff that is probably more interesting will get the least manpower/money thrown at it

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

sb hermit posted:

hmm, yes, anime IS blood

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Is the listing in the app correct? Does Sgt. Frog start at Season 2? Because this first episode makes no loving sense.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Wait until the second segment.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Isekai Ojisan got an anime.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Record of Ragnarok is deeply disappointing, especially considering that they didn't need to meet a weekly release schedule.

Also, weirdness on the dub side--they don't always translate the crowd noise. A lot of the time it's just the original japanese audio and it's disorienting especially when they're chanting something like G.F.O.C. with a japanese accent.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

Wait until the second segment.

That helped a lot.

Did the first five episodes, it feels like I'm watching the animated essence of ADHD.

E. Revenant
Aug 26, 2002

If the abyss gazes long into you then stare right back;
make it blink.

Cool. It's such weird and different take on isekai that it just feels like it's own thing almost nothing like the other power fantasy and harem isekais despite having those exact elements.

It gets stupid but it's a good stupid. I'm really interested in what new depths of stupid happen in this after the online translation got terrible then stopped.

E. Revenant fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Jun 18, 2021

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Mister Facetious posted:

That helped a lot.

Did the first five episodes, it feels like I'm watching the animated essence of ADHD.

Is five episodes enough for them to introduce the laser beam babyface frog? I feel like it’s not but it’s been like eight years.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Sgt Frog is kinda eh until giroro and kururu are with the gang to start up the hotheaded military guy vs mad scientist tinkerer paradigm imo

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
We've been watching our way through MHA, and the Deku vs Todoroki fight has some of the best animation I've ever seen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Bullbar posted:

We've been watching our way through MHA, and the Deku vs Todoroki fight has some of the best animation I've ever seen

Watching the MHA anime was funny for me cause it felt like the team got so good at making mundane poo poo fun to watch in S1 that they just got super amazing at stuff that was already good in 2. It really is a great adaptation aside from some padding and even that could have been like One Piece/DBZ/Naruto so eh.