Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
I've been playing around with Hero Forge, a custom tabletop miniature site, and ended up making the playable characters from Final Fantasy 1 and thought I would share. They came out pretty good!

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jun 17, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Where's the Henley and Jeans warrior of light

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Where's the Henley and Jeans warrior of light

I specifically said playable characters :colbert:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

No Mods No Masters posted:

I want to see some speedruns of killing chaos?, with nioh games there is always a ridiculous disparity between normal play and fully utilizing all the systems. The game is really silly but I'm looking forward to it

I have now beaten Chaos with all three jobs and weapon types... it's like visiting an old friend.

I wanted to see if I could do it under the Twitter time limit
https://twitter.com/cleargatewest/status/1405687964609310722

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
https://twitter.com/FunkyFujoshi/status/1404539031527084042

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

RatHat posted:

Well then. By "Melee" I assume they mean fists.

PunkBoy posted:

I really hope Melee means I can suplex Chaos.

:same:

Just gonna use Dragoon Jump to get in, then fists all day. No escaping this hot fisting action.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I will say that Dragoon Jump feels great, I don't think I've seen that kind of mobility and "Total Offense" move in the Soulslike subgenre (broadly construed) before

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I will say that Dragoon Jump feels great, I don't think I've seen that kind of mobility and "Total Offense" move in the Soulslike subgenre (broadly construed) before

The karasu-tengu soul core in Nioh 2 is pretty great because you jump up into the air and fire a spear down. You can even use it to snipe other karasu-tengu as they try to do it to you!

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Chaos? is pretty goddamn tough. feeling a lot like Jack right now

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xkvgal89Dh4

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I thought this was a neat image :)

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

lol "Clearly this dude has at least one mortgage"

Edit: that barrage of quips at the end lol, i would say that a certain poster made this video but the ones here are funny

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jun 18, 2021

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Good little vid. It reminds me of when FFXV was still coming out (holy poo poo how time flies) and people were making GBS threads on the characters' designs. Imp pointed out to me how, even though they're all black, they aren't really identical. Each outfit is noticeably different and helps convey the characters' personality. That's the point of a character design, to tell you about the character without even needing dialogue.

It's also why I hate Noel's outfit in XIII-2.... Nothing about his design conveys where he's from or the poo poo he's been through. It really does bug me.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

lol "Clearly this dude has at least one mortgage"

Edit: that barrage of quips at the end lol, i would say that a certain poster made this video but the ones here are funny

I can only dream of being Jenna.

I actually do have to throw out a couple of my ideas because she got too close to some, though. 'Has opinions about IPAs' was in the lineup almost exactly.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

NikkolasKing posted:

Good little vid. It reminds me of when FFXV was still coming out (holy poo poo how time flies) and people were making GBS threads on the characters' designs. Imp pointed out to me how, even though they're all black, they aren't really identical. Each outfit is noticeably different and helps convey the characters' personality. That's the point of a character design, to tell you about the character without even needing dialogue.

It's also why I hate Noel's outfit in XIII-2.... Nothing about his design conveys where he's from or the poo poo he's been through. It really does bug me.

We've been over this, Noel was trained by Caius and lived with him and their weird mutual girlfriend Yuel. He wear's scraps of pretty fabric and clothes they could find and mend as belts because he's from a wasteland trying to barely just squeak by living. He's got a penchant for purple because it's what his teacher and dear friend liked to wear. Caius probably gave him the outfit even.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

We've been over this, Noel was trained by Caius and lived with him and their weird mutual girlfriend Yuel. He wear's scraps of pretty fabric and clothes they could find and mend as belts because he's from a wasteland trying to barely just squeak by living. He's got a penchant for purple because it's what his teacher and dear friend liked to wear. Caius probably gave him the outfit even.

That outfit does not in any way resemble "squeaking by." nor does his beautiful hair.

I've seen enough post-apocalyptic stuff to know what they should look like, and "refugee from Kingdom Hearts" doesn't fit. It certainly does not convey "I wandered alone, the last human being alive, for days or weeks on end until I laid down and was ready to die."

But it's whatever, I switch him out of that awful costume as soon as I can.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jun 18, 2021

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

That outfit does not in any way resemble "squeaking by." nor does his beautiful hair.

I've seen enough post-apocalyptic stuff to know what they should look like, and "refugee from Kingdom Hearts" doesn't fit. It certainly does not convey "I wandered alone, the last human being alive, for days or weeks on end until I laid down and was ready to die."

I mean you have to accept you're looking at this through the lens of FF13 Fashion where "Girl from ancient tiny village in the primal world where humans are meat for basically every monster" is Vanille or Fang's outfits.

Also like, Caius can just step through time to buy the boy a purple body suit.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I mean you have to accept you're looking at this through the lens of FF13 Fashion where "Girl from ancient tiny village in the primal world where humans are meat for basically every monster" is Vanille or Fang's outfits.

Also like, Caius can just step through time to buy the boy a purple body suit.

XIII-2's plot is confusing like all time travel narratives but I'm not sure Caius really can travel through time exactly. My impression is the Caius'es we encounter throughout the game are just the Caius who would have existed at the assorted time periods. The Caius you fight in Oerba (I think 200AF) is just the Caius who was around then. 700 AF aka Noel's Caius is in Valhalla and somehow all his past selves are just in on their future self's plan.

I think.

But I see your point. I just think sometimes that trying too hard to be stylish hurts a character. I guess I don't really know for sure but Noel feels like he was drawn first and then given a backstory later. I see this complaint brought up a lot with Lulu in FFX since she looks and dresses nothing like everybody else on Besaid.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

XIII-2's plot is confusing like all time travel narratives but I'm not sure Caius really can travel through time exactly. My impression is the Caius'es we encounter throughout the game are just the Caius who would have existed at the assorted time periods. The Caius you fight in Oerba (I think 200AF) is just the Caius who was around then. 700 AF aka Noel's Caius is in Valhalla and somehow all his past selves are just in on their future self's plan.

I think.

But I see your point. I just think sometimes that trying too hard to be stylish hurts a character. I guess I don't really know for sure but Noel feels like he was drawn first and then given a backstory later. I see this complaint brought up a lot with Lulu in FFX since she looks and dresses nothing like everybody else on Besaid.

Caius can jump through time he just lived through it several times so you occasionally bump into one before he snapped just doign his job but also you meet the time hopping one a few times and eventually meet him at the end of time. Basically he loops a lot then just starts jumping everywhere to gently caress poo poo up then ends at fighting lightning.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I cannot bear this.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

I was talking about FF9 today, and I realized that I greatly want them to revisit Shakespeare again as an inspiration for a title, but to use more of his comedic tropes this time.

I want to see recursive crossdressing, the Fey, and twins/doppelgängers that are treated as though they look identical even though they don't actually have very similar appearances.

I think the first and third of those would be especially fun with current-gen graphics and the general aesthetic direction the series has been following recently.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Blue Labrador posted:

I was talking about FF9 today, and I realized that I greatly want them to revisit Shakespeare again as an inspiration for a title, but to use more of his comedic tropes this time.

I want to see recursive crossdressing, the Fey, and twins/doppelgängers that are treated as though they look identical even though they don't actually have very similar appearances.

I think the first and third of those would be especially fun with current-gen graphics and the general aesthetic direction the series has been following recently.

So, like Shadow and Silver in the Sonic series? :v:

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Ventana posted:

So, like Shadow and Silver in the Sonic series? :v:

Dude, if a Final Fantasy game had a cutscene as memorable and fun to re-enact as the Sonic Adventure 2 "You're not even good enough to be my fake" confrontation, it would non-ironically be in the top half of Final Fantasies. I feel like I haven't seen a good scenery-chewing from the franchise in a hot minute, though I have a slight interest in Henley-Jack for this reason.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

That biker soldier from FF7R, whose name I can't remember, can't stop hamming it up with every line in every scene and it's pretty great every time.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Any recent FF14 bad guy

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Blue Labrador posted:

Dude, if a Final Fantasy game had a cutscene as memorable and fun to re-enact as the Sonic Adventure 2 "You're not even good enough to be my fake" confrontation, it would non-ironically be in the top half of Final Fantasies. I feel like I haven't seen a good scenery-chewing from the franchise in a hot minute, though I have a slight interest in Henley-Jack for this reason.

I feel like they thought Ardyn was the sort of character you'd like for how pointlessly excessive he is, and then they just... forgot to make that translate to a performance. The supplementary pieces are there; the big dumb outfit, the comically evil theme, the motivation that amounts to just a thin reason to constantly gently caress with you that you've got no reason to sympathize with... and then after putting in all the groundwork that you'd want for a 'Charismatic Unrepentant Fucker' character, they just forgot to make him do anything fun.

Outside of Dissidia NT (which has a few good hams), I think the most recent character that's good for that would be Caius. FFXIV is serving up some pretty good potential right now in the form of Fandaniel, but that's potential they could easily squander in Endwalker by either not giving him any good scenes, or giving him story that takes away the 'Unrepentant Fucker' part of what makes him work.

EDIT: Wait, no, I almost forgot Vauthry in Shadowbringers. Vauthry is Hammy Scumbagggery from top to bottom, and he's great.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Zenos when he gets fired up is one of the franchise all-time greats imo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGWVMh3SDbw&t=274s

It's a shame he spent so much time slouching on his throne recently

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Blue Labrador posted:

Yeah, I have a feeling this game will be one where I never skip the cutscenes, no matter how many times I replay it.

Some off the top of my head are SA2, Resident Evil 4, Metal Gear Rising and the PS2 Ratchet & Clank games.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

sonic adventure 2 is legitimately one of the best told stories in games. it knows exactly what it wants to be (a dumb action movie), nails that tone, and doesn't overstay its welcome or draw stuff out.

note 'best told' is not 'best written.'

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I wish Sonic was as good at being stupid+fun as Sonic Adventure 2 now as it was then.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Bring the guy that wrote the rap songs for the Knuckles stages to do a Final Fantasy OST.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Captain Oblivious posted:

I wish Sonic was as good at being stupid+fun as Sonic Adventure 2 now as it was then.

Generations went decently hard with the comedy inherent in having 1 Sonic who's a bit of a loudmouth edgelord and another Sonic who literally just smiles and nods at everything

Mania was about as plot-heavy as the Genesis games it was based on, but it used the bad guys' animations to pretty good effect to convey what was going on

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Endorph posted:

sonic adventure 2 is legitimately one of the best told stories in games. it knows exactly what it wants to be (a dumb action movie), nails that tone, and doesn't overstay its welcome or draw stuff out.

note 'best told' is not 'best written.'

I can't remember any of the details of the story from that game, but that guy who made the video about Sonic being the actual ultimate lifeform put forward a pretty convicing case that it's a legitmately well constructed story

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Raxivace posted:

Bring the guy that wrote the rap songs for the Knuckles stages to do a Final Fantasy OST.

This but the i am the eggman songwriter

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

mandatory lesbian posted:

This but the i am the eggman songwriter

John Lennon?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Veib posted:

John Lennon?

He died way before sa2 bud

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
Will never not love golf bag full of katanas, badman Zenos. Such a perfect accessory to a villain outfit.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

mandatory lesbian posted:

He died way before sa2 bud

Well that just makes how fitting that song is even more impressive.

Givin posted:

Will never not love golf bag full of katanas, badman Zenos. Such a perfect accessory to a villain outfit.

'Mechanical rotating golf bag of katanas' honestly deserves a better villain to use it. Zenos spends the vast majority of his screentime practically phoning it in (I mean in-character, the actor does a fine job of playing a checked-out rear end in a top hat), and about half the reason Fandaniel is a fun villain is because he can pull a good dynamic out of scenes with Bored Zenos.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
The main problem is some of the hammiest villains came out before voice acting, like Emperor Mateus, Ex-Death, and Kuja.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Blue Labrador posted:

My friend, have you heard the good word of Final Fantasy 14, the award-winning MMO with a free trial that goes up to level 60 and the first expansion Heavensward?

Because Shadowbringers has a ton of Shakespeare references.