Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

be racoon do crimes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Last Celebration posted:

Is five episodes enough for them to introduce the laser beam babyface frog? I feel like it’s not but it’s been like eight years.

Yeah, PFC Doe Eyes was ep 3 I think. and 5 is Corporal Scarface.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Amazon had a sale on Yu Yu Hakusho bluray so I guess I’m going in blind with my wife. We love HxH so it seemed a safe gamble.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

bees x1000 posted:

Amazon had a sale on Yu Yu Hakusho bluray so I guess I’m going in blind with my wife. We love HxH so it seemed a safe gamble.
I enjoyed the hell out of the Adukt Swim version for the 1st season. 2nd was ok but didn't grab me as much. Love the characters though.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

FilthyImp posted:

I enjoyed the hell out of the Adukt Swim version for the 1st season. 2nd was ok but didn't grab me as much. Love the characters though.

Yu Yu Hakusho is one of the few shows that I can safely say is overall better than its manga counterpart (which got a bit questionable at times). Though the latter did give Yusuke a few extra adventures at the start while he was dead that could have been fun to see animated.

Are the YYH movies and/or OVA that came out a few years ago worth a watch?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Larryb posted:

Yu Yu Hakusho is one of the few shows that I can safely say is overall better than its manga counterpart (which got a bit questionable at times). Though the latter did give Yusuke a few extra adventures at the start while he was dead that could have been fun to see animated.

Are the YYH movies and/or OVA that came out a few years ago worth a watch?

What parts are questionable? I like the YYH anime well enough but HXH benefits a lot from Togashi’s distinct art/paneling style so it seems like they’d break even aside from Botan’s dumb/cute fake accent.

Unless you mean how iirc the ending is so bad Togashi actively makes fun of himself for it in Hunter x Hunter.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

It’s been a while since I read it but weren’t there some sketchy things near the end like implied rape or something along those lines that the anime either changed or jettisoned entirely? But then again I could be misremembering.

But yeah, the YYH anime is still good and so was HxH (Gon is a good boy) for that matter, the remake more than the first attempt at the series that is.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Larryb posted:

It’s been a while since I read it but weren’t there some sketchy things near the end like implied rape or something along those lines that the anime either changed or jettisoned entirely? But then again I could be misremembering.

But yeah, the YYH anime is still good and so was HxH (Gon is a good boy) for that matter, the remake more than the first attempt at the series that is.

Didn't Gon threaten to murder an innocent blind girl to heal Kite

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Gon is a good boy

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Larryb posted:

Gon is a good boy

Waffleman_ posted:

Gon is a good boy

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Nay, Tanjiro is a good boy

kater
Nov 16, 2010

It occurs to me that this should have been obvious but I’m delighted by how little highschool drama is in fate zero a few eps in.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

theres not a lot of high school drama in fsn either, there are like 3 scenes at the school

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

oh that's dope. hopefully they get some good va's it seems like something that will live and die based on how well they can sell the characters

Bullbar posted:

We've been watching our way through MHA, and the Deku vs Todoroki fight has some of the best animation I've ever seen

the way that fight comes together makes it probably my favorite episode of any of the shonen that i've watched

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

fate/zero would have been infinitely better if it had been a high school drama

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
fsn has less school-set stuff than tsukihime and almost all of tsukihime's school scenes are just people sitting around eating lunch while they talk about the latest tv news report about how a guy was brutally skinned and impaled in an alleyway

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I just meant how the first series is basically some highschool kid dating King Arthur.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ibblebibble posted:

be racoon do crimes

Aggretsuko took a turn.

What is that?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

kater posted:

I just meant how the first series is basically some highschool kid dating King Arthur.

fsn has a lot of things, beyond a guy loving king arthur. unless you jsut watched fsn without knowing about ubw and heaven's feel i guess

not like fate/zero isn't about some guy's wife dating king arthur anyway

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

kater posted:

hosed up

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It's also about another guy's wife cucking him.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

The Colonel posted:

fsn has a lot of things, beyond a guy loving king arthur. unless you jsut watched fsn without knowing about ubw and heaven's feel i guess

I've never seen the latter two.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
why are you telling me this instead of watching them

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

The Colonel posted:

why are you telling me this instead of watching them

Stay Night seemed perfectly fine as a standalone anime to me. :shrug:

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it's 1/3 of a story and all the coolest character beats happen in ubw and heaven's feel. it's where the story dives harder into how weird and hosed up the idea of heroic self-sacrifice is and how abuse leaves painful scars on people that kind of gently caress them up and are difficult to live with

fate route's a decent urban fantasy thing with some cool scenes but there's no reason to stop at it, it was written as one part of a whole and the latter two parts have good adaptations

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it's like watching higurashi s1 but deciding not to watch kai...

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
imagine if that guy existed... somewhere out there

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I did watch fsn clueless about ubw, which I have watched since.

It was funny when the kid finally became important to the story.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

The Colonel posted:

the latter two parts have good adaptations

I dunno if I’d go that far.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

nrook posted:

I dunno if I’d go that far.
The Heaven's Feel movies basically had mostly good to great versions of some cool fight scenes (though I disliked its take on the actual last one) and basically sacrificed just about all of the character work I actually really liked about it. I'm not really sure anything about UBW ultimately was anything other than a lateral pass on its VN version. I guess Shirou shutting the door in Rin's face was good.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Ibblebibble posted:

be racoon do crimes

Tanuki are closer to foxes than racoons. :colbert:

Waffleman_ posted:

Gon is a good boy

Gon is a psycho wrapped in an unassuming shounen hero shell. :psyduck:

Grouchio posted:

Nay, Tanjiro is a good boy

Tanjiro is, indeed, a good boy. Which makes him infinitely more boring than Gon.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

AlternateNu posted:

Gon is a psycho wrapped in an unassuming shounen hero shell. :psyduck:

Still a good boy.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
gon is exactly the kind of person to survive in hunter x hunter's universe without becoming an actual complete monster

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

the hf movies are stellar adaptations, but not great if you aren't already a fan

between the babylonia adaptation and the hf movies i vastly prefer how the hf adaptation was handled

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

The Colonel posted:

it's like watching higurashi s1 but deciding not to watch kai...

a friend of mine played Trails in the Sky 1 and then never played 2 despite enjoying it

I don’t remember if you’re into Trails or not but hoo boy I don’t understand how he managed to do that

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
hf and babylonia anime give medusa hours of screentime between them so perhaps they are simply... ftw

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Space Flower posted:

imagine if that guy existed... somewhere out there

lol

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

trails in the sky 1 does have a complete story before the epilogue cliffhanger, it's not that weird a thing to never get around to continuing.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Honestly? Gon going as hard as he does when he does makes perfect sense in-story and in-universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marumaru
May 20, 2013