Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Mega64 posted:

The main problem is some of the hammiest villains came out before voice acting, like Emperor Mateus, Ex-Death, and Kuja.

Which is why Dissidia's such a good game for hams!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flimf
Sep 3, 2006

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1405803861441347586

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Generations went decently hard with the comedy inherent in having 1 Sonic who's a bit of a loudmouth edgelord and another Sonic who literally just smiles and nods at everything

Sonic was more fun when it was just a straight-up shounen anime rollercoaster ride with all the silliness that comes with it, rather than trying so hard to signal to the audience that it’s self-aware and not taking itself seriously.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Augus posted:

Sonic was more fun when it was just a straight-up shounen anime rollercoaster ride with all the silliness that comes with it, rather than trying so hard to signal to the audience that it’s self-aware and not taking itself seriously.

Oh I agree, it'll never beat SA2, but I don't think Generations tried to hard, they just kind of threw the 2 Sonics together and let them bounce off each other.

It wasn't high comedy but I'll take it over Unleashed or '07

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Can somebody remind me what the issues were with Final Fantasy III DS versus the Nes version?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

drat I really hope it's not just Epic.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I doubt it would be, it's probably just a difference in being able to datamine epic vs. steam.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

stev posted:

drat I really hope it's not just Epic.

For anyone new to Epic, it will be a store exclusive for like a year and then come out on steam next year.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Fister Roboto posted:

I doubt it would be, it's probably just a difference in being able to datamine epic vs. steam.

Probably, but Square already gave Epic Kingdom Hearts...

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Yeah I change my mind actually, it being an Epic exclusive after being an Playstation exclusive would be the dumbest thing imaginable, so of course they're going to do it.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Fister Roboto posted:

Yeah I change my mind actually, it being an Epic exclusive after being an Playstation exclusive would be the dumbest thing imaginable, so of course they're going to do it.

Uh have you seen how much epic pays for exclusives

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!

Golden Goat posted:

Can somebody remind me what the issues were with Final Fantasy III DS versus the Nes version?

Iirc the remake couldn't have as many enemies on screen as the original so it jacked up enemy stats to make up for it. Also if you wanted to change jobs in the original, you paid a certain number of Capacity Points to do so, but the remake got rid of them and instead nerfed your stats for a certain number of fights after switching.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Golden Goat posted:

NES has a resource you gain from battle, capacity points, that you spend to change jobs. DS does away with this and instead has job sickness, a system where you spend a number of fights with reduced stats. DS also is more difficult, because they had fewer enemies in an encounter and buffed enemy stats in response. Bosses also start getting multiple attachments per round (up to three for some later bosses).

DS also added job levels, but that’s just “you get better at the job if you’ve been in it for a while”, and having a decent job level helps you deal with the enemies having increased stats. Certain jobs also are changed (Sage and Ninja are nerfed to be merely among the best jobs, not solely the best jobs, Bard gives temporary buffs like protect and haste rather than increasing your stats every action, Dark Knight now spends hp to deal damage, etc)

Some people are going to tell you that all these changes end up making the game significantly worse, nigh unplayable even. I don’t agree. I played it earlier this year and while I agree that job sickness was bad design, I had a blast and found the systems to be deep and worth engaging in.

Edit: Scholar got so good in DS, it amps attack items and I was able to use the antarctic wind I got in a dungeon to oneshot Hein, plus Study was changed to also be a dispel so you could get rid of enemy buffs.

thetoughestbean fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jun 18, 2021

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Job sickness is especially bad for two reasons. One, the game really does expect you to change jobs for special occasions, such as giving you a barrier change boss right after gaining scholar who has built-in Libra, or forcing you to go through an entire dungeon in mini status which basically requires you to switch to an all-mage composition for that dungeon. Job sickness means you have to go fight random encounters to make it go away before the actually important fight, which is mildly irritating.

Secondly, I'm fairly certain you gain max HP on level up based on your stamina stat when you level up, and that max HP doesn't change based on your job. So you want to level up in high-stamina jobs for maximum health growth, but stamina is one of those stats affected by job sickness. So you really want to avoid levelling up while you have job sickness, and if you're going full minmax, you want to avoid leveling up in low stamina jobs (such as, say, those mages that you're forced to go through a dungeon with because you're in mini mode the entire time).

Also it doesn't actually solve many of the problems of NES FFIII which you thing would be a priority for a remake that changes as much as it does anyway.

Hellioning fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jun 18, 2021

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

My friend, have you heard the good word of Final Fantasy 14, the award-winning MMO with a free trial that goes up to level 60 and the first expansion Heavensward?

Because Shadowbringers has a ton of Shakespeare references.

From what people have said, apparently Shadowbringers has tons of stuff I'm looking for. I actually still have an FF14 account, but I kind of bounced off of it before I finished the base game because I'm just not an MMO guy. Maybe I'll try to power through it again.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Blue Labrador posted:

From what people have said, apparently Shadowbringers has tons of stuff I'm looking for. I actually still have an FF14 account, but I kind of bounced off of it before I finished the base game because I'm just not an MMO guy. Maybe I'll try to power through it again.

Pushing through Stormblood completely sapped my desire to play FF14, so I unsubbed in Shadowbringers by the end of the fairy zone. It's a shame, because I liked what I saw for the most part, but just had no more patience for it.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Don't you lose Job Levels upon switching in FF3DS or am I remembering the game as being significantly worse than it is?? FF3 is still a pretty hosed game pacing-wise, like you don't get any new jobs until the end of the floating continent 1/3 through the game, and then the Water Crystal comes like immediately after that and then you don't get the Earth Crystal jobs until the loving final dungeon :confused:
Not to mention half the jobs are just 'old job but strictly better' so there's no actual depth to the job system unlike FF5, plus half the jobs have like no loving equipment or support at all anyway

Also they gave all the Dark World bosses 99,000 HP for no good reason so the end boss fights take like an hour

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

No they just lower your stats for a handful of battles. Not disastrously so, and the amount of battles caps at 10 based on some weird esoteric alignment system so a white mage takes longer to switch to dark Knight than a thief switching to ranger.

Presumably it’s to discourage switching jobs between surviving the dungeon and having a specialized boss-killer party, but who knows. The director was the guy behind FFXI who hates that people have fun in video games so

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Pushing through Stormblood completely sapped my desire to play FF14, so I unsubbed in Shadowbringers by the end of the fairy zone. It's a shame, because I liked what I saw for the most part, but just had no more patience for it.

this is exactly what happened to me so I gave it a month's break and now I'm doing patch content and it's all been great. the best the MMO has to offer

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

as a person who just got to Stormblood and felt zero desire to continue playing, it fills me with confidence that other people apparently found it at some point. Maybe I'll like it more at some point

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

The only problem with Shadowbringers is that it is after a base game and two other expansions, and Stormblood in general is disappointing.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

It’s a lot of game and it’s easy to get burned out if you’re doing it all at once

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I think I enjoyed my time with Stormblood more than Heavensward honestly. A really good expansion, but i'm glad I caught up around 4.3 because continuously playing catch up through several games worth of content was super exhausting regardless of the quality of the game.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

FF3 seems to have a large job list but it all boils down to

- Attacker
- Offensive caster
- Healer
- Job intended to beat a puzzle dungeon/boss

with the last tier of jobs combining 2 and 3. It's a very primitive system that is only interesting in a historical sense and the remake didn't do anything sensible to address that.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The thing about the original FF3 was that a lot of the jobs were just straight upgrades of others. Like there was no reason to have a fighter as soon as you unlocked knight. The idea was to be kind of like FF1 where you upgrade your jobs, but you could choose to become something different if you wanted too.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

Yeah and the remake's way to make it more "interesting" was implementing job level so the knight would actually be worse than fighter until you sank a bunch of JL into it lol

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

multijoe posted:

Zenos when he gets fired up is one of the franchise all-time greats imo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGWVMh3SDbw&t=274s

It's a shame he spent so much time slouching on his throne recently

"Only man has the wisdom and the clarity to embrace violence for it's own sake" is still one of the best villain lines to come out of a JRPG.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Reach the heavens through violence.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So I am motivated to try and continue and actually finish Bravely Default 1.

Game save says I'm in Chapter 3 and fairy tells me I need to get to the Fire Temple.

I think I have a decent memory of events and stuff but it's jumbled in my memory...

Was fighting the Salve Master the last thing I did? And before that was the fancy town where you fought the Red Mage and Edea's ex-comrades like the Valkyrie? Edea was the only character I remember liking.

Anyway, I rescued some kid from the evil Imperials right and he was gonna show me to the Temple and the next Crystal I think? Pretty sure that's where I'm at.

My jobs are:
Tiz - Lv 10 Time Mage/Lv 9 Black Mage
Agnes - Lv 9 White Mage, Lv 7 Black Mage, Lv 7 Summoner, Lv 9 Red Mage
Edea - Lv 8 White Mage, Lv 5 Knight, Lv 5 Thief, Lv 8 Merchant, Lv 9 Spell Fencer
Ringabel - Lv 9 Monk, Lv 9 Ranger, Lv 4 Salve Master

I have Edea on Thief and Ringabel on Salve Master because, near as I can figure, I guessed I needed to be really good at Stealing in order to keep up a good supply of items for Salve Master.

Also I just wanna commend BD for having customizable difficulty. (Also the latest version of FFVII New Threat enables you to turn off EXP gains from battles.) I adore when games do this. If I need items for SM, I can just turn off EXP or JP so I don't overlevel. It's a great way to keep teh game balanced.

The most intriguing story bit was how we are totally killing people. To get a new Job, you gotta kill its previous Job holder. But the folks we are killing, like the Thief and Spell Fencer, seemed to have a lot of backstory hinted at from their dialogue and also their entries in the datalog thing. I wanna know what the deal is. I'm sure there is some time poo poo and they'll all come back to life somehow but my point is, this was the most compelling part of the narrative for me. I already know I fight the Salve Master again due to being spoiled when looking up tips on how to beat him. (when really I was beating myself...oh well)

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

So is there any word on what the hell is up with upgrading disc versions ps4 FF7 to the ps5 version when you were dumb enough to also have redeemed the ps+ version of the game? Because as it is, even with the disc in, it simply says when i go to the upgrade page that I cannot buy this .

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Tonfa posted:

Yeah and the remake's way to make it more "interesting" was implementing job level so the knight would actually be worse than fighter until you sank a bunch of JL into it lol

That’s not really true. The newer jobs do end up filling different niches, and older jobs have interesting abilities to justify using them. I already said that Scholar gets a free dispel, Ranger has a huge amount of versatility because you can switch arrows in battle to be hitting elemental weaknesses as well as start using Barrage to deal high damage (especially against flying enemies like Bahamut), Bard has incredibly useful utility because a party wide protect/haste is super good, etc. There are jobs that are upgrades, yes, but it’s wrong to say that older jobs don’t stay relevant

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

(FF3) Ranger does a stupid amount of damage. At least in my last play through I was hitting >9999 each round. Luneth had been a Ranger basically from the moment I unlocked it and the arrows aren’t much of a concern if you simply buy a full stack of non-elemental arrows, equip them, then buy another stack of arrows. 200 arrows lasts a stupid amount of time, especially if you have another stack of each element. Coupled with their relatively good armor choices and sitting in the back row, it’s just a solid job.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

thetoughestbean posted:

That’s not really true. The newer jobs do end up filling different niches, and older jobs have interesting abilities to justify using them. I already said that Scholar gets a free dispel, Ranger has a huge amount of versatility because you can switch arrows in battle to be hitting elemental weaknesses as well as start using Barrage to deal high damage (especially against flying enemies like Bahamut), Bard has incredibly useful utility because a party wide protect/haste is super good, etc. There are jobs that are upgrades, yes, but it’s wrong to say that older jobs don’t stay relevant

Yeah I'll take the L on this one and just say I didn't find these things on my 3DS playthrough 'cause I didn't feel like dealing with job sickness and JL

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
https://twitter.com/GameTheoryRejct/status/1405603887004930051

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

thetoughestbean posted:

Don't forget the bonus part of Bard: guaranteed to go first in a game where turn order can be choppy at best.

My first clear of DS used two Bards as the 'healers' til the final dungeon and I don't regret it at all despite the amount of time I spent changing weapons every other turn.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

A max level bard’s protect/shell is stupid powerful too, and bard levels quick as gently caress

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
The Bard's party wide heal is also stupidly good, at job level 99 it's a guaranteed 1000+ HP to everyone, at the beginning of a turn, for free.

Basically anything the Bard does in that game is stupidly good.

Frionnel fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Jun 19, 2021

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I'm in the "early stages" of my FFXIV free trial, that being I'm in post ARR pre-Sward trial content, and I'm taking my time and experiencing the things that I want to. I'm glad that there's no time pressure on the free trial to get myself to a good position to go into the rest of the game with. I've been enjoying my time a lot so far, so I'm very excited to see how it gets even better from here.

Anyway, something I've learned from my large experience in playing forevergames and such is that you gotta take things at the pace you're comfortable with. It's hard, but discarding those FOMO feelings and working at things slowly is the best way to make sure you continue enjoying a game like that for the months and years it expects you to. It's a marathon, not a race.

Moofia Boss Val
May 14, 2021

I quite liked Stormblood, much more than Heavensward. I thought that the HW trailer was extremely misleading (promised me an epic war that never happened), that the cast was meh, and the plot was rather boring. Also wasn't fond of the setting and aesthetics of grey, generic, gothic, medieval european castles and knights and dragons. The villains were also forgettable. But Stormblood hit the right notes for me. It was a fun adventure romp through Scottish Turkey and Japan. I quite like the cast. The villains were fun. It didn't overpromise and underdeliver like HW did. I like the colorful aesthetics. Music was pretty great. My one disappointment about Stormblood is that Ala Mhigo is neglected in the post patch content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Alxprit posted:

Anyway, something I've learned from my large experience in playing forevergames and such is that you gotta take things at the pace you're comfortable with. It's hard, but discarding those FOMO feelings and working at things slowly is the best way to make sure you continue enjoying a game like that for the months and years it expects you to. It's a marathon, not a race.

Yup. Most folks who burn out on 14 try to push through everything to get to the endgame and you burn out trying to speedrun four RPGs. And then they find out that "endgame" is heavily squished compared to other MMOs and there's really no reason to rush because as soon as you get there you can hop into whatever's current without having to do the rest more than once. "Good enough" entry gear is pretty easy to get.