Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

caligulamprey posted:

And I'm of the opinion that if that's the story you want to tell, you have to go all in on it or don't do it. Don't do hosed up race poo poo but not this one particularly especially hosed up race poo poo. Commit to the bit, cowards.

Also it's not Speed Racer. :colbert:

It's based on a book I haven't read, I don't know if there's a scene from the book they cut that would have been the black face scene, but if they inserted a new scene to put Hugo Weaving in black face that would be really weird. And I could see him not wanting to do the movie over that.

Your last complaint I have absolutely no rebuttal too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Skwirl posted:

Not that yellow face isn't a thing, but black face is way, way more loaded as a subject in America.

They are both equally bad even if a lot of dumb white people don’t see it.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Let break out the calipers and scientifically measure which one is worse

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

CelticPredator posted:

They are both equally bad even if a lot of dumb white people don’t see it.

I'm not trying to say one is worse I'm trying to say one is more controversial. See also discussions about the holocaust and discussions about most other genocides.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

They are both controversial even if white people are stupid aboht it

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

He never appears in the show and has been completely uninvolved in the last few seasons for obvious reasons. It's really Pamela Adlon's show all the way.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Skwirl posted:

I'm not trying to say one is worse I'm trying to say one is more controversial. See also discussions about the holocaust and discussions about most other genocides.

People are angry up to when they want to justify it for their subjective reasons (see: Vasquez in aliens, rdj in Tropic Thunder).

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

CPL593H posted:

He never appears in the show and has been completely uninvolved in the last few seasons for obvious reasons. It's really Pamela Adlon's show all the way.

I am not at all calling you out specifically for this Alan Smithee but it is a huge drag that people will disregard an amazing female-centered show, where Adlon is not only the head writer and star but has directed every single episode since season 2, because of one lovely dude that used to be involved with it. It’s not fair to her or the show.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

feedmyleg posted:

That's a bummer. But he also hasn't been relevant since the Bush years.

He did manage to get...health benefits for the firefighters that got like, lung cancer from all the asbestos they inhaled during 9/11 or something? It was kind of a big thing

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Escobarbarian posted:

I am not at all calling you out specifically for this Alan Smithee but it is a huge drag that people will disregard an amazing female-centered show, where Adlon is not only the head writer and star but has directed every single episode since season 2, because of one lovely dude that used to be involved with it. It’s not fair to her or the show.

This is exactly what I mean. It's a very good show and as unfortunate as it is that CK was her long time collaborator Better Things isn't his voice at all.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

caligulamprey posted:

But then again what can one expect, most people didn't understand Asian racism was a thing until this year. :gonk:

Ghost in the Shell didn't come out this year.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
I’ll take a look but if it drags like Louis

Pass

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

caligulamprey posted:

I would have bought into the whole concept of the racial fluidity thing in Cloud Atlas if they stuck a single person in blackface prosthetics, but apparently that's the bad kind, but slap some slant eyes on everyone else and everything's cool and groovy.

But then again what can one expect, most people didn't understand Asian racism was a thing until this year. :gonk:

Did you see Tom Hanks in the author segment

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Alan Smithee posted:

I’ll take a look but if it drags like Louis

Pass

The episode where Louis ck tries to force a kiss on her and hounds her around an airport felt menacing even when it first aired.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I Before E posted:

Did you see Tom Hanks in the author segment

He just looks to ike he's from Essex in that bit.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ruddiger posted:

The episode where Louis ck tries to force a kiss on her and hounds her around an airport felt menacing even when it first aired.

Embarrassing now but god did I love that forced kiss attempt episode of Louie when it aired. I went on about how it was so brave of him to show darker sleazier elements of male behaviour or something like that in his own character and just ugh. UGH.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Tucker Carlson and Stewart/Colbert evolutions are a perfect microcosm of our times.

porfiria fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jun 19, 2021

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Escobarbarian posted:

Embarrassing now but god did I love that forced kiss attempt episode of Louie when it aired. I went on about how it was so brave of him to show darker sleazier elements of male behaviour or something like that in his own character and just ugh. UGH.

There's a lot of poo poo in that show about how he doesn't understand consent. One episode has him getting raped and it's kind of played for laughs.

porfiria posted:

Tucker Carlson and Stewart/Colbert evolutions are a perfect microcosm of our times.

Stewart and Colbert weren't exactly far left but Tucker Carlson was always a huge piece of poo poo. He just got louder and has more attention.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

CPL593H posted:

Stewart and Colbert weren't exactly far left but Tucker Carlson was always a huge piece of poo poo. He just got louder and has more attention.

Yeah that's what I mean--Colbert became a cringeposter and Stewart is an irrelevant conspiracy theorist (?!) while Tucker is more powerful than ever.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

porfiria posted:

Yeah that's what I mean--Colbert became a cringeposter and Stewart is an irrelevant conspiracy theorist (?!) while Tucker is more powerful than ever.

Oh, I misunderstood. But yeah Tucker Carlson's huge popularity is kind of scary considering that he's nothing but a frothing at the mouth fascist.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I kinda suspect John Stewart lambasting Tucker Carlson so hard is at least part of the reason he stopped wearing bow ties, which in turn lead to people taking him more seriously.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

It’s almost like epically owning people with sick burns does not actually do anything to stop them or reduce their influence

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Colbert is at his peak right now too. As much as I loved the daily show and colbert report, a late night network show is bigger than comedy central.

Jon definitely played up the lab stuff a bit with his exaggerated routine. But he likely does believe it. This I think is more a sign that being liberal/democratic doesn't mean you all have the same views on all issues, especially foreign affairs. I was surprised by him at this interview though.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Tucker is a face for a spigot for a diarrhea pipeline. Nothing more. If it’s not him it’s someone else

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

It’s almost like epically owning people with sick burns does not actually do anything to stop them or reduce their influence

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jf9d3cwVWBY&t=33s

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
I remember listening to an episode of This Week in Virology in the middle of last year where they described how the newly understood interlocking proteins it used to bind to cells made it obscenely impossible to make up sars-cov-2 in a lab and the virologists on the show were like "thank christ we can finally put this bullshit behind us"

lol

E: they relitigated it the other week, with a lot of interesting stuff like how all the pigs and chickens being culled due to swine and bird flu, and then nobody wanting to eat those dudes, greatly bolstered an already multi-billion dollar wild meat market that's bound to end up with novel zoonotic viruses

https://www.microbe.tv/twiv/twiv-762/

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Jun 20, 2021

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://twitter.com/A_KAchen/status/1406323516077531139?s=19

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Just watched Total Recall (2012) for the first time since I saw it in theaters and remembered how utterly bland and uninspired it was. And how very PG-13 it was.

It wasn’t the worst thing ever, but it was just so….blah.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://twitter.com/TheAmitie/status/1407181932534714370?s=20

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

https://twitter.com/Lunwi88/status/1407227907051704324
Hell yeah

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

They've announced that the new Transformers movie will be called Rise of the Beasts and be about transformers who turn into animals. So far they have announced only one of the voice cast; Peter Cullen as Optimus Prime.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The alien has been through worse

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

CelticPredator posted:

The alien has been through worse

You mean the last 25+ years of movies it was in?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

No bc I love alien covenant.

It’s avpr that is the worst.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
There's also Colonial Marines

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTxjVau0iig

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMdUcyhSr/

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

There's also Colonial Marines

This game was ruined by a single typo.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Wouldn't've been a good game even without the typo. But it's very funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Wl3AQ7KlavM

Candyman trailer for those who don't read the horror thread