Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

It has three USB 3 ports.
anyway the issue with the USB-C input is that it (apparently) only provides 15W of power so you can't have a single cable solution for any laptop

i'm now looking at the Acer display which uses the same panel but has proper power for the USB C input

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

uwaeve posted:

Alright, thanks!

It’s a 5800X/RTX3080 but I’m looking at notoriously deoptimized stuff like DCS World/MSFS.

Never really done anything over 60Hz but I suspect I’m gonna love it, and then be stuck trying to decide between 4k@75 and 1440@120 or something (just made up numbers but I’m pretty sure I’m not going to get 120 fps at 4K).

MSFS with a 3080 in 4k at Ultra settings is more like 40fps average. It's the most demanding game that exists right now.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
It's not demanding it's just a single threaded abomination that's bottlenecking itself thanks to a developer stuck in the early 00s

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Toe Rag posted:

Maybe I am missing something, but given both the M28U and M27Q seem to use HDMI for signal input and have only 1 USB-C port, how is it better than just using an external KVM? You'd still need a USB-C dock, right?

What I want is a monitor (preferably 21:9) with at least 2 USB-C ports which would be video + USB upstream, maybe even power, while I have 3-4 USB downstream ports, and just connect my two computers with just one cable each, and no external hub/KVM/etc. I've done some brief/sporadic search and it seems like this doesn't really exist. Basically I want a Phillips 276B1, but with a builtin 2-port KVM.

They have 2 USB-A inputs, a USB-B output and a USB C output. You plug your mouse and keyboard into the inputs, and can toggle between passing them through the outputs. It's meant more for easily being able to connect a laptop or tablet than to facilitate a dual system setup.

Monitors with built in docks are aimed at office workers so I don't think any with 144hz or Sync features exist. And the 60hz ones that do exist don't have switchable outputs.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
So I guess I'm in the market for a new ultrawide, at this point it's pretty clear I'm just going in circles with Monoprice support and they aren't gonna replace or refund anything.

Still want something that's 3440x1440, 144hz, VA as well I guess since I love the VA panel on this display too. Ideally 1500R curvature too.

Would I be setting myself up for more failure if I got something like this? https://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-Ultra-Wide-Response-FreeSync-G34WQC-SA/dp/B08GFN64F2/

There are obviously more expensive ultrawides out there, but if I can avoid spending $800-900 on overbranded Alienware products (that are fine overall, just overpriced IMO, I like Dell products and monitors too) I'd like to do so.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

uwaeve posted:

With only 60Hz monitors on hand (both 1440 and 4K), will I be able to tell what frame rates a new PC would drive at both these resolutions? I have a PC arriving this week and was hoping to run the weird games I like at both resolutions to see where I’m at for framerate so I can choose a monitor.

For instance I know I won’t SEE the extra frames but I can make the game churn them out and use some FPS counter, correct? Hopefully this will help me decide on 1440/144 or whether to go super dumb and get an LG 48” OLED…
Yes, most games will do this just by disabling vsync. They'll then render as fast as they can, regardless of monitor refresh rate. You will actually still see the extra frames, but not necessarily in the way you might expect. A single frame displayed on the monitor will end up being made up of multiple actual rendered frames, resulting in "tearing" where the view changes between frames in the middle of the screen.

Some games are designed very badly (read: designed for consoles) and intentionally limit framerate on PC because they actually break if run too fast (GTA3/VC/SA and the modern era Elder Scrolls/Fallout games), but any game where people really care about framerate beyond "is it smooth?" should happily run as fast as your system can handle.

Also keep in mind if you're looking at new monitors for gaming that adaptive sync (Gsync/Freesync) significantly reduces how much framerate actually matters outside of twitch shooters and the like.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

wolrah posted:

Yes, most games will do this just by disabling vsync. They'll then render as fast as they can, regardless of monitor refresh rate. You will actually still see the extra frames, but not necessarily in the way you might expect. A single frame displayed on the monitor will end up being made up of multiple actual rendered frames, resulting in "tearing" where the view changes between frames in the middle of the screen.

Some games are designed very badly (read: designed for consoles) and intentionally limit framerate on PC because they actually break if run too fast (GTA3/VC/SA and the modern era Elder Scrolls/Fallout games), but any game where people really care about framerate beyond "is it smooth?" should happily run as fast as your system can handle.

Also keep in mind if you're looking at new monitors for gaming that adaptive sync (Gsync/Freesync) significantly reduces how much framerate actually matters outside of twitch shooters and the like.

Fallout 4 gets pretty hilarious at high framerate.

Joiny
Aug 9, 2005

Would you like to peruse my wares?
So I want to mount an LG OLED 65 CX about 12 feet away from my computer which will take about 25 feet of cable to run. In order to get 4k @ 120HZ, I need HDMI 2.1 or displayport. I have both as options from the graphics card but I can't find any cables that are of the specs I need. Am I missing an obvious solution or do I actually need to buy a $150 cable like this guy?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
High end display standards are incredibly demanding. HDMI 2.1 is 48 gigabits. That's nearly the bandwidth of a PCI-E 3.0 X8 link, or a 4.0 X4 (i.e. about the same bandwidth as the absolute fastest consumer NVME SSDs, or half the bandwidth of the fastest pre-Ampere GPUs). Trying to run that over a 25 foot cable is really hard. The best solution is really to move the PC.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

put the PC dead center in the middle of the room and buy two 12.5ft cables one back to your desk monitor and one to the tv do I have to think of everything

Joiny
Aug 9, 2005

That is not the worst idea in the world. I could probably move it to the corner of the room, buy 2 of the 15' hdmi cables and a usb hub or a few usb extenders.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
There are active optical cables that can do longer runs.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B08GMC7C91/

Not sure how well they’ll play with VRR though.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Paul MaudDib posted:

The cable at least claims to support VRR and if all of the circuitry for the optical-copper link makes it appear no different to the input, don't see why it wouldn't support everything a copper cable would

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Fallout 4 gets pretty hilarious at high framerate.

In Mass Effect, your shield regeneration is linked to framerate so at very high FPS your shields regenerate slower.

Dark Souls infamously ties weapon durability to framerate as well.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
I ordered one of these for 4K 120Hz VRR HDR: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B081SHJJ3C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The first one I got was shipped from Amazon and was an old version of the cable. It would not provide signal to the TV at 4k 120hz. I contacted the sell and they sent me a new replacement.

The replacement worked but it had video drops multiple times per hour. So they sent me another replacement and it has been fine so far.

Joiny
Aug 9, 2005

Paul MaudDib posted:

I ordered this so I'll let the thread know how it goes!

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

Monitors with built in docks are aimed at office workers so I don't think any with 144hz or Sync features exist. And the 60hz ones that do exist don't have switchable outputs.

Yeah I just think with the whole work-from-home thing for (most) office workers for the last 18 months, more people than ever have need for a KVM. I was looking a little more, and this LG monitor is almost perfect. I really don't understand it. How many people in the world "need" to connect their laptop to two massive monitors compared with people who need to connect two computers to a single monitor?

Oh well :sigh: My current KVM set up is fine, although I wish I could disable the obnoxious beep every time I press the input switch button. I was hoping I could ditch my work laptop's docking station as well as my KVM and reclaim some desk space and get rid of some cables.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Not that I think anyone cares, but I did eventually contact Amazon and they agreed to let me return the defective Monoprice display after a full week of back and forth with Monoprice with no solutions provided at all from their customer service rep. I ended up buying one of these to replace it instead.

https://www.amazon.com/Acer-XZ342CK-Pbmiiphx-Certified-DisplayHDR400/dp/B08BW3XS12

Just got it today and it does have a single dead pixel, but it's like, 2mm away from the right edge of the display so considering everything else checks out with the display, I'm just gonna leave well enough alone. It's really nice having an actual decent OSD with a joystick to control it though. Got the settings on this thing dialed in within a few minutes.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Aphrodite posted:

In Mass Effect, your shield regeneration is linked to framerate so at very high FPS your shields regenerate slower.

Dark Souls infamously ties weapon durability to framerate as well.

I don't play Dark Souls but had to look that up because it just seems entirely :psyduck: to me but indeed it be true.

Sort of reminds me the Super Metroid microwave beam or the old DOS Descent games where homing weapons' trajectory updates were called during frame draws so when computers got too powerful homing weapons couldn't be dodged.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah it's something like each frame it spends in the enemy hitbox or something.

politicorific
Sep 15, 2007
Is there anyone here who has used a 43" 16:9 display and then regretted buying it? I'm thinking about purchasing a 43" screen or a 49" ultrawide.

I am looking for PC upgrades that will help me become more productive. I currently have a dual monitor setup (27" 1080P and a 24" 1080 in portrait on the right side) on two cheap monitor arms. I have my personal laptop, work laptop, and a raspberry pi 4 connected to two cheap 4 port HDMI+USB KVMs on a standing desk. Both my laptops are thunderbolt 3. I have a Lenovo thunderbolt 3 dock and a Razer Chrome e-GPU. If I were to get a 43" monitor, I'd try to place it so the top of the screen is at eye level.

My primary usage is for work
-I write documentation (Notepad++, markdown, Adobe FrameMaker). Crisp text is important.
-I write code used for backend and XML. The front-end development I do is to make mock-up designs that will be replaced by professional designers. My main tool is PyCharm... I might use Visual Studio Code in the future.
-I review/create spreadsheets (huge, 40+columns) in Excel.
-I create diagrams using Inkscape(SVG). Color accuracy is not important, but straight lines are. I also use Microsoft Visio. I do use GIMP for image manipulation.
-I will do video editing with free tools like OpenShot, but this is for work.
I also do play strategy games occasionally.

I found a couple of videos on the topic, but I'm looking for more feedback.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgAqHHNQAtk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tCLey2mOtg

I should mention that I'm in Taiwan, so my purchasing options are limited. This is cheap and big:
- Philips 43" 3830x2160 360 USD https://tw.buy.yahoo.com/gdsale/PHILIPS-436M6VBRAB-43%E5%9E%8B-4K-8888363.html

Rebus
Jan 18, 2006

Meanwhile, somewhere in Grove, work begins on next season's Williams F1 car...

politicorific posted:

Is there anyone here who has used a 43" 16:9 display and then regretted buying it? I'm thinking about purchasing a 43" screen or a 49" ultrawide.

Unless you're like 8 feet tall I'm not sure how you plan to be at eye level with the top of a 43" 16:9 screen.

I think the 49" ultra wide monitors have limited vertical resolution which is going to suck for document editing and coding. It sounds like what you're after is a 5k2k like this but those are fairly hard to come by and may be prohibitively expensive.

politicorific
Sep 15, 2007

Rebus posted:

Unless you're like 8 feet tall I'm not sure how you plan to be at eye level with the top of a 43" 16:9 screen.

I think the 49" ultra wide monitors have limited vertical resolution which is going to suck for document editing and coding. It sounds like what you're after is a 5k2k like this but those are fairly hard to come by and may be prohibitively expensive.

Ha, thank you for your feedback. I'm definitely not 8 feet tall - far from it. I must have miscommunicated something. When I sit up straight, the top of my monitor is eye level, but this may have something to do with my desk height.
https://imgur.com/a/tSvw5kD
I used displaywars to mock up a comparison. A 43" monitor should be about 57 cm with the bezel. I would intend to take it off the stand, leaving the majority of the weight on the desk, with the arm holding it for support.

The grey 27 and 24-inch monitors are what I have right now. They have bezels that are 2 cm thick. The 27" monitor is directly in front of me and the 24" is at a ~10-degree angle.
I keep my desk at 63.5 cm (25 inch) with a ~5 cm thick wood+glass top (68.5 cm). The top of the 27" monitor is 55 cm tall.
My desk is 75 centimeters deep and the 27" monitor is 55 cm away from the front.

I did see LTT's review on that Dell monitor. It is available from Dell's Taiwan site, but it's $3,300... simply too much and overkill for what I need.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009
I have a 55" 4k monitor. It's loving awesome. That being said, it's wall mounted low and my desk is pulled away from the wall so I can be at eye level with it. Though you really don't have to come that far out. For a 43" monitor, you could probably get away with wall mounting it such that the bottom bezel was sitting right on the surface of your desk. However, you'll probably still have to come away a bit to minimize head movement when looking at the sides of the screen. I sit about 5-6 ft away from mine and that works perfectly for the 55"

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
I ordered the LG c1 48" and it will be here in a couple days. I am in the process of renovating my office and building a new desk. But when I am done, I will have 30" deep butcher block desk, with that mounted at the very edge. I am hoping it is as wonderful as imagine.

Edit: wanted to also post that Amazon is offering 10% back if you buy a c1 with an Amazon prime card, and Costco has a similar discount/offer for the CX.i think best buy does too.

Lowen SoDium fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jun 20, 2021

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009
You will not be disappointed in the slightest. May not be able to turn on HDR though. I tried. The brightness in the whites hurt my eyes. So goddamn bright. And that was on a BX that supposedly doesn't get as bright as the CX/C1. Still, never been happier with a monitor. Just make sure you get an HDMI cable that can handle the data rate.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Thoughts on Acer Nitro XV272U Vbmiiprx? It seems to check a lot of the boxes for a decent gaming monitor, high refresh rate, IPS, etc. It's on sale for $300 at my local MicroCenter, which seems to be a good price. I like the built in USB hub.

I only am running a 1650 super but I tend to keep monitors for a really long time so I anticipate that I will get a bigger and better video card to drive this at some point in its lifetime.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Might be a great value, might not. Acer produces so many monitors and has such an awful set of naming schemes that it's hard to make conclusions for most models. That said, generally speaking their IPS gaming monitors are pretty solid. Acer tends to more consistently pay attention to overdrive tuning than anyone else. If you really care about the USB hub and you don't want to pay $30 more and deal with the BGR subpixels on the M27Q, I'd say why not.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Thoughts on Acer Nitro XV272U Vbmiiprx? It seems to check a lot of the boxes for a decent gaming monitor, high refresh rate, IPS, etc. It's on sale for $300 at my local MicroCenter, which seems to be a good price. I like the built in USB hub.

I only am running a 1650 super but I tend to keep monitors for a really long time so I anticipate that I will get a bigger and better video card to drive this at some point in its lifetime.

I did not like it, visually, even though the specs are good. Something about the display gave me serious eye fatigue even after turning down brightness etc etc.

That said, MicroCenter has a good return policy so you can always see how you feel about it in person.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

K8.0 posted:

Might be a great value, might not. Acer produces so many monitors and has such an awful set of naming schemes that it's hard to make conclusions for most models. That said, generally speaking their IPS gaming monitors are pretty solid. Acer tends to more consistently pay attention to overdrive tuning than anyone else. If you really care about the USB hub and you don't want to pay $30 more and deal with the BGR subpixels on the M27Q, I'd say why not.

I had a $1000 Acer Predator fry itself because they cheaped out on the power transformer.

:shrug:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
It's generally frustrating that neither the 27GN950 was available in any meaningful numbers, now it has been phased out and superseded by the 27GP950, which is also practically unavailable. And there's no end in sight for this component shortage bullshit.

At least some major countries have the option to buy it directly via LG's online shop, so there's a possibility to snipe it. Over here in my country, no web shop whatsoever, it just links to a page where you can look up LG partners, without any guarantees they even carry specific product groups, even less if they have stock.

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

Is there a go to 32” that can power a MacBook over USB-C? Bought a Dell U3219Q which is great but they seem to be out of stock everywhere right now. Price isn’t really a concern but would like to stay under $1,500 or so.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat
Any of the Prime Day monitor deals look good? I'm looking for a 1440p, 144hz display for gaming for $500ish or less. Size is negotiable -- I'd rather have something smaller with good HDR (if that's even possible at that price range) and response time vs a large display that ghosts everywhere and looks like rear end.

(My last monitor purchase was like 6 years ago so I have no idea what I'm doing)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

HDR in monitors that size is usually just okay because they can't pull off the contrast needed, and you probably wouldn't want it that close to your face anyway.

The LG 27GL83A is in the sale. It's a a great monitor, pretty much the default pick in the thread here. Rtings gave it a 6.9 for HDR, primary reason for the score is contrast is low (since it's IPS.)

Praxis Prion
Apr 11, 2002

The sky is a landfill.
Pillbug
Looking at picking up the LG 27GL83A from the Prime Day sale. Will I run into any issues if I have different monitors with different refresh rates and resolutions?

I'm currently running a triple monitor setup with three Acer 1080p 60hz monitors (I've really been living in the past here). I'd like to just replace my center monitor with the LG 1440p 144hz monitor, since it's the only one I use for gaming. The other monitors are just for having browser windows/discord/etc. open. Will this cause any problems, or will I need to replace all three monitors?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

As long as you're not mixing RGB and BGR it'll work fine.

(And even then many people don't notice.)

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Praxis Prion posted:

Looking at picking up the LG 27GL83A from the Prime Day sale. Will I run into any issues if I have different monitors with different refresh rates and resolutions?

I'm currently running a triple monitor setup with three Acer 1080p 60hz monitors (I've really been living in the past here). I'd like to just replace my center monitor with the LG 1440p 144hz monitor, since it's the only one I use for gaming. The other monitors are just for having browser windows/discord/etc. open. Will this cause any problems, or will I need to replace all three monitors?

No, I run a similar setup. Just remember to go to display settings to enable the 144hz or else it's running at 60hz.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

HDR in monitors that size is usually just okay because they can't pull off the contrast needed, and you probably wouldn't want it that close to your face anyway.

The LG 27GL83A is in the sale. It's a a great monitor, pretty much the default pick in the thread here. Rtings gave it a 6.9 for HDR, primary reason for the score is contrast is low (since it's IPS.)

I'm looking at that LG monitor and also at a very silly 34 inch wide curved Samsung thing. Both of them have similar refresh rate, response time, and resolution. The Samsung is a VA panel though. Is there an obvious choice here?

This is the Samsung monitor in question. I currently have a pair of very old (like 2014) Dell U2414Hb monitors that work well enough, but can't keep up with the hardware I have running them.

E: It seems like Nvidia now supports freesync as well, so I don't need to worry about that being some odd issue. I have an nvidia card.

Olothreutes fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jun 21, 2021

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I was shopping for a 34" ultrawide recently and looked at that Samsung, I do want to point out that it is a more extreme 1000R curvature versus 1500R and 1800R which are the other two usual curvatures you find in curved displays. 1500R is definitely the sweet spot for me.

The thing is, there are a bunch of 34" ultrawide VA panels, all of varying quality. I think Samsung's panels are good, the Monoprice Dark Matter I had used the Samsung LSM340YP05 panel I think, and I did love that display (I have qualms about Monoprice's customer support and the long term reliability of their monitors now, but I digress.)

The real difference comes in VA vs IPS for the ultrawide displays. The IPS is a bit more pricey, but some people swear by it because VA can be bad for smearing/ghosting. I certainly haven't noticed it on either of the VA ultrawide displays I've owned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Combat Pretzel posted:

It's generally frustrating that neither the 27GN950 was available in any meaningful numbers, now it has been phased out and superseded by the 27GP950, which is also practically unavailable. And there's no end in sight for this component shortage bullshit.

At least some major countries have the option to buy it directly via LG's online shop, so there's a possibility to snipe it. Over here in my country, no web shop whatsoever, it just links to a page where you can look up LG partners, without any guarantees they even carry specific product groups, even less if they have stock.

My condolences - seems like it's very hard to pick up a niche monitor further away from major shipping hubs.