Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Duckman2008 posted:

I’m not here to make a huge defense of steak n shack, but they’re by far one of the cheapest fast food places. Their burger combos are $4-6 for most of them.

Shoestring fries are fine. Not my preference but I don’t mind them. I always really liked their burgers for what they are.

Yeah, I was going to say they're pretty much the only place anymore where you can have two people eat a regular meal and get out of there under $20. The weird thing is that in my area most restaurants have opened back up for dining in but the Steak n Shake I drive by every once in a while still is only doing take out and drive thru.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

No. 6 posted:

Or don't go to places that treat employees like poo poo and pay them even worse.

But those are the only places that will hire me!

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

No. 6 posted:

Or don't go to places that treat employees like poo poo and pay them even worse.

You want me to leave the country for a hamburger?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

No. 6 posted:

Red Robin is killing it.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
If it’s 1am and you want to sit at a table and order a meal then it’s Steak N’Shake or Waffle House.

If you want someplace that’s open at 1am and is marginally clean then it’s well….just Steak N’Shake.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Im kinda glad Dick's is still open and charges cheap as gently caress for decent burgs.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

DreadUnknown posted:

Im kinda glad Dick's is still open and charges cheap as gently caress for decent burgs.

Dick’s is one of the things I’ve been missing since I cut out meat. Used to be every time I went across the water to Seattle I’d eat a big bag of dick’s. I’ve been over there twice since then and haven’t had any dick’s at all. :(

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Ziv Zulander posted:

Dick’s is one of the things I’ve been missing since I cut out meat. Used to be every time I went across the water to Seattle I’d eat a big bag of dick’s. I’ve been over there twice since then and haven’t had any dick’s at all. :(

I live in the metro, and one time doordash had them available at a 2 hour delivery time for a fee of like 12 dollars. I kind of regret not buying cold dicks when I was flush with government money.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Krispy Wafer posted:

If it’s 1am and you want to sit at a table and order a meal then it’s Steak N’Shake or Waffle House.

If you want someplace that’s open at 1am and is marginally clean then it’s well….just Steak N’Shake.

Someone forgot that Denny's exists in most places.

I miss Denny's, somehow there are none in the Greater Cincinnati area, and I have to drive 45 minutes to get to one, which isn't wort it for a birthday Grand Slam

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
We had both Dennys and Village Inn as well as Flippers/Skippers or whatever you call it in Alaska.
Also the finest greasy spoon in the PNW, the White Spot Cafe.
Im actually surprised how few 24h diners there are in Seattle, like 5 Points.

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
Back when I worked at Blockbuster and would close we'd all go out as a group at the end of the night and eat Steak N Shake because it was there, IHOP, Waffle House, or Denny's and that was it. We never went to the last 2 options because someone always had a past experience with food poisoning. IHOP was just kind of dingy and poorly lit. I feel like today there are a lot more drive thru and 24 hour food options available which probably isn't helping Steak N Shake's core business model. Also I love shoestring fries.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
You don't go to Denny's, you end up at Denny's.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
around 20 years ago, the Quiznos in State College was almost entirely staffed by skinheads. I don't imagine that's the fault of the corporation, but I didn't go back to that location.

side note: I first noticed this when I saw one of the employees working as a door bouncer. he had white laces in his combat boots. I'd only just learned about that as a signal, and it kinda hosed me up. I'd never seen a full skinhead iron/celtic-cross muscle-shirt shithead jamboree in person before.

I was talking with my friends about it, and one of them (black, butch, lesbian) said, "oh, that's Jeremy. he's just confused. he won't talk to me when his girlfriend is there, but he's friendly otherwise."

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Empty Sandwich posted:

around 20 years ago, the Quiznos in State College was almost entirely staffed by skinheads. I don't imagine that's the fault of the corporation, but I didn't go back to that location.

side note: I first noticed this when I saw one of the employees working as a door bouncer. he had white laces in his combat boots. I'd only just learned about that as a signal, and it kinda hosed me up. I'd never seen a full skinhead iron/celtic-cross muscle-shirt shithead jamboree in person before.

I was talking with my friends about it, and one of them (black, butch, lesbian) said, "oh, that's Jeremy. he's just confused. he won't talk to me when his girlfriend is there, but he's friendly otherwise."

which state college?

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.

Super Waffle posted:

You don't go to Denny's, you end up at Denny's.

Indeed...https://youtu.be/ne2P65zeS1ADennys at 4AM...

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

BigDave posted:

which state college?

State College.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_College,_Pennsylvania

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Tristesse posted:

Back when I worked at Blockbuster and would close we'd all go out as a group at the end of the night and eat Steak N Shake because it was there, IHOP, Waffle House, or Denny's and that was it. We never went to the last 2 options because someone always had a past experience with food poisoning. IHOP was just kind of dingy and poorly lit. I feel like today there are a lot more drive thru and 24 hour food options available which probably isn't helping Steak N Shake's core business model. Also I love shoestring fries.

I always forget about IHOP because I always get the shits after eating IHOP

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
IHOP's a place where I have to imagine the greater availability of all-day breakfast(both in sit down places and in fast food) wrecked a lot of whatever appeal it had. Why go to IHOP when there's multiple chain and independent diners you could go to where you can get a pancake any time of day & also they're almost certainly going to be less depressing than an IHOP?

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I Haven been to one in years; the shakes were good but the food is overpriced for the amount and any place that serves tiny shoestring fries deserves to go out of business.
I'm 99% sure Steak n Shake only has the bare minimum of food needed to draw more people in to get shakes. Anytime I've been with a group that ends up there for lunch/dinner we wouldn't have gone if not for the shakes, but there needed to be actual food since people wanted an actual meal.

The portions are fine imo - I actually appreciate that it's sized so that you're not completely overstuffed getting food+a shake. It's just that it's exceptionally mediocre food.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I only had Stake and Shake once and it was just outside of Joshua Tree and it was pretty awful and took like 20 minutes even though there was no one in there or ahead of me in like. I did not get a shake which was my bad though.

I might just not like steakburgers. I really like Freddys but all the other places that do that thing are gross to me.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

The one time I went to Steak and Shake I got a shake and the cup was like 2/5s just whipped cream. Not impressed!

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Its been like 15 years but I'd go there for the patty melt and a chili 3 way.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.

Sekhmnet posted:

Its been like 15 years but I'd go there for the patty melt and a chili 3 way.

Man, I'm old. I can't keep up with these new sex terms.

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

Ziv Zulander posted:

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

Evil SpongeBob posted:

Man, I'm old. I can't keep up with these new sex terms.

You and me both. I thought exactly the same thing.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
That's because you're thinking too hard. Zoomers like their hookups fast and their sex slang simple:

A Patty melt is just hooking up with someone named Patricia who is extremely hot. They frequent fast food establishments a lot, apparently.

A chili three way is simply a group encounter at a Tex-Mex restaurant. I believe there's even an app for it. "Let's use the app and then get apps!" Zoomers will chant.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Empty Sandwich posted:

the one near me had a die hard trumper talking about how covid was a hoax and Biden was a pedophile, so my friend and I quietly agreed to never go back.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Anora posted:

the one near me had a die hard trumper talking about how covid was a hoax and Biden was a pedophile, so my friend and I quietly agreed to never go back.

I heard some Fox News earlier today and somebody was talking about all the covid nursing home deaths Biden is responsible for

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Ziv Zulander posted:

I heard some Fox News earlier today and somebody was talking about all the covid nursing home deaths Biden is responsible for

Cuomo just can't get any credit.

Barry Soteriology
Mar 1, 2020
I already posted this in funny pictures, but I hope this gets this thread restarted. It was always a good read.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Topo Chico Debarge posted:

I already posted this in funny pictures, but I hope this gets this thread restarted. It was always a good read.

My town finally got a Jersey Mike's and I will never go to Subway again

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
So many better sandwich chains have spread in the last two decades that Subway is no longer the first choice for most people, only something you pick because they stick them in convenient, tiny locations, like a community college campus.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

loving Casey's (the gas station chain) makes better subs then Subway.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

i eat at subway all the time. i have a contract that i can eat for free but they get my corpse when i die

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

8one6 posted:

loving Casey's (the gas station chain) makes better subs then Subway.

Hell, they make better pizza than a lot of pizza chains too, from what I hear.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

All the Jersey Mike's I've eaten at were substantially worse than pretty much every Subway I've eaten at. Are the Subways on the west coast somehow not poo poo? :confused:

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
Hell, Wawa sandwiches are better than Subway

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Firehouse Subs are expensive as hell imho, but their Pizza Meatball sub was leagues better than Subway.

Iron Crowned posted:

Someone forgot that Denny's exists in most places.

I miss Denny's, somehow there are none in the Greater Cincinnati area, and I have to drive 45 minutes to get to one, which isn't wort it for a birthday Grand Slam

I miss Shoney's, but the ones closest to me that are still open are all at least an hour's drive away, usually located in chud-occupied territory.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Super Waffle posted:

Can confirm

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Super Waffle posted:

the people of Pennsylvania worship Wawa with a remarkable fervor

are they really THAT good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Soteriology
Mar 1, 2020

Super Waffle posted:

When I was a younger goon, I would live off Wawa sandwiches during Hoagiefest.