Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
i think having "people of note" on the forums sucks. i come here for other freaks. losers only please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I'd love to see the crossover between the people demanding Brown Moses and the other guy get perma'd and the people who signal-boosted Taintrunner as a mod candidate because he was such a true leftist ally.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

The Syria thing is almost certainly Caro AKA Kevin Patrick Dawes. He posted here in the early 2010s and probably had a handful of mental illnesses. Dude went to Libya to medic/fight with the anti Gadhaffi forces, survived, rolled the dice again with anti Assad forces in Syria, and then spent ~5 years in one of Assad’s dungeons.

I’m probably getting some of those details wrong but you can search on his name for more info.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I'm pretty lost on this whole situation, but I did appreciate the comedy of noted terrible poster Rime starting a QCS thread to try to get D&D/C-SPAM/all political discussion on the forums shut down for a year, with the exception of the threads he posts in (because obviously those are the good, "non-political" ones). It was just like the perfect encapsulation of how all these discussions inevitably turn into "all political posters must be banned except for me and my posting pals."

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
LoL at 2012-era Benghazi-morons and the "SA is a CIA-FBI Honeypot psyop site directing Internets" conspiracies being true.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Ah, you see, they feed you morsels of truth to make their lies more believable. It's propaganda 101. Here's a Renmin Ribao article that totally outs the whole thing as just another CIA cutout.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
The funniest thing is that it all started with Larry emotionally reacting to a twitter thread by a Bellingcat journo, because Larry misread his intentions. The Bellingcat dude was challenging an article by Reuters for its anti-Palestinian bias, but for some reason Larry thought he was doing the opposite.

Paladinus has a new favorite as of 05:06 on Jun 21, 2021

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Keeping these forums open seems like a mental health hazard

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Paladinus posted:

The funniest thing is that it all started with Larry emotionally reacting to a twitter thread by a Bellingcat journo, because Larry misread it's intentions. The Bellingcat dude was challenging an article by Reuters for its anti-Palestinian bias, but for some reason Larry thought he was doing the opposite.

Turns out when the only tool in your toolbox is a death threat, everything looks like a right wing idealogue.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

the extremely real and terrifying threat of "I hope that guy chokes on a fish bone."

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

creative writing advice is a cia psyop to destroy communism

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Crowetron posted:

the extremely real and terrifying threat of "I hope that guy chokes on a fish bone."
Where does the fishbone thing come in? I am pretty sure the post literally just says "he should be killed."

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Scarodactyl posted:

Where does the fishbone thing come in? I am pretty sure the post literally just says "he should be killed."

Larry Parrish posted:

he's such an evil piece of poo poo that karma will just happen. he's gonna choke on a fish bone or something

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Ok, so it's a different post people are conflating with the post he was punished for, which was this for anyone who missed it

Larry Parrish posted:

he should be killed

(USER WAS PERMABANNED FOR THIS POST)
I don't care about this guy or his fate, but the fishbone post is not involved.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

It's from the same conversation dude please read lol. Still a dumb perma

SpiritualDeath
Jul 2, 2009

shaping your brain like pottery

Scarodactyl posted:

Ok, so it's a different post people are conflating with the post he was punished for, which was this for anyone who missed it

I don't care about this guy or his fate, but the fishbone post is not involved.
It's involved because Jeffrey said the part where Larry crossed the line was when he "without humor or mirth, fantasized in detail about a way in which he might die"

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Alaois posted:

creative writing advice is a cia psyop to destroy communism

Communism is a CIA psyop to destroy British monarchy.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

SpiritualDeath posted:

It's involved because Jeffrey said the part where Larry crossed the line was when he "without humor or mirth, fantasized in detail about a way in which he might die"
Wow, ok. Yeah I'm going to stop trying to understand it.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

SpiritualDeath posted:

This whole thing is a stupidity fractal.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
site owns.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Paladinus posted:

The funniest thing is that it all started with Larry emotionally reacting to a twitter thread by a Bellingcat journo, because Larry misread his intentions. The Bellingcat dude was challenging an article by Reuters for its anti-Palestinian bias, but for some reason Larry thought he was doing the opposite.

Okay, thank you, because I thought I was the only one for whom the Twitter thread didn't seem to match up what the QCS thread seemed to take as unassailable fact.

Future Wax
Feb 17, 2011

There is no inherent quantity of driving that I can increase!

archduke.iago posted:

I remember a thread where a goon was asking for advice running his mother's restaurant using pre-made industrial food somewhere in the south. People chimed in telling him it was a bad idea, including that frozen gator wouldn't sell and that there was no overall business plan. Does this ring a bell for anyone?

I remember that thread, I managed to find it in BFC. The final title says it all I think: We've started a family restaurant: How to not run a restaurant

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

$10 well spent :allears:

also what are the “I want nothing” gangtags from?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

It seems weird to me to see that apparently C-SPAM has the knives out for Robert Evans, when I spent hours and hours last year watching him livestream from the protests in Portland last year.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Those were Trump's notes for one of the debates iirc.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

CaptainSarcastic posted:

It seems weird to me to see that apparently C-SPAM has the knives out for Robert Evans, when I spent hours and hours last year watching him livestream from the protests in Portland last year.

In the thread people said he suspiciously zoomed in on faces and license plates, which could put protester's in harm's way. I didn't check how true it was, though.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Paladinus posted:

In the thread people said he suspiciously zoomed in on faces and license plates, which could put protester's in harm's way. I didn't check how true it was, though.

Oh ffs lol

That’s pretty broke brain.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

CaptainSarcastic posted:

everything is a plot to discredit leftism. this includes leftism

it's all very crab bucket. the only safe thing to do is stay home on the internet, complaining and remaining pure

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

HOLY gently caress posted:

$10 well spent :allears:

also what are the “I want nothing” gangtags from?

Trump gave a speech after all of the Ukraine stuff came out denying that there was any quid pro quo, and his speech notes - written in gigantic letters in sharpie - included “I WANT NOTHING I WANT NOTHING”

D&D mods threw together a new thread to allow people to buy a gangtang with a shot of those notes if they donated enough to a charity.

Citation: used to have one, until someone decided I needed a new avatar

Also, lmao at the people in the thread going “but actually D&D is a right wing cess pool that needs to be taken out behind the chemical sheds and shot”

Ugly John
Jul 18, 2009
[img]https://forums.somethingawful.com/attachment.php?postid=514899866[/img]

packetmantis posted:

Those were Trump's notes for one of the debates iirc.

Close - it was his notes on his impeachment defense, from his conversation with Sondland.

E:f,b.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Paladinus posted:

MarcusSA posted:

Oh ffs lol

That’s pretty broke brain.

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

everything is a plot to discredit leftism. this includes leftism

it's all very crab bucket. the only safe thing to do is stay home on the internet, complaining and remaining pure

Jesus Christ, the brainworms are like something from Arrakis.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Both D&D and C-SPAM should be destroyed, but they will only die if killed at the exact same moment like that angel from Evangelion. Otherwise we'll end up with even more politics.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

goatsestretchgoals posted:

The Syria thing is almost certainly Caro AKA Kevin Patrick Dawes. He posted here in the early 2010s and probably had a handful of mental illnesses. Dude went to Libya to medic/fight with the anti Gadhaffi forces, survived, rolled the dice again with anti Assad forces in Syria, and then spent ~5 years in one of Assad’s dungeons.

I’m probably getting some of those details wrong but you can search on his name for more info.

Brown Moses is involved with the Caro story because he was one of the few people in communication with Caro while he was traveling to Syria after Caro was banned from the forums. He was quoted extensively in a GQ UK article about Caro and how Caro's story was misreported in the wider press (he was not a photojournalist or a medic, despite Reuters reporting). Brown Moses was also one of the sources for the speculation that Caro was dead after Brown Moses shared reports that Caro had been spotted in a Syrian torture prison from which very few people emerge. How this came up in the QCS thread was that some people claimed that Brown Moses was somehow to blame for people thinking Caro was dead (everyone thought he was, he got captured in Syria - and Brown Moses was correct that he was in a Syrian torture prison) and that by claiming Caro was dead, Brown Moses somehow helped convince people to stop looking for him. I don't think that's true.

I think what you can criticize Brown Moses for is continuing to talk to Caro as Caro travelled to Syria. At a certain point the responsible thing to do was to stop participating, especially if you aren't a trained mental health professional considering Caro's long history of serious mental illness.

Caro is still the craziest story to come out of SA. If you haven't read some of the original threads they are... something.

Also Caro has popped up again in some of the offsite SA-related spaces.

Edit: To add, this is independent from Brown Moses' reporting on both Syria and Libya. That's probably why Caro was talking with him - at that time Brown Moses was in communication with a lot of people on the ground in Syria and Libya, which was where a lot of his early citizen journalism style reporting came from. For better or for worse. From that experience he became somewhat of an "expert" (I use quotations here because depending on how you view his reporting, you may think he's not an expert), which launched his career, including Bellingcat, which is where all this controversy comes from.

Upgrade has a new favorite as of 06:09 on Jun 21, 2021

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Jesus Christ, the brainworms are like something from Arrakis.

Ha

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Inceltown posted:

Are you falling for the Jeffrey / Jeffery thing?

This is my favorite saga, despite falling for it all the time.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

They think Robert Evans is a nazi? Or is he just too much of a liberal for them? He gives relatively in-depth explanations for how to develop a mutual aid network among your neighbors and how to feed yourself with a .22 rifle on multiple podcast appearances, but that might be a little too real for someone who thinks of posting as praxis.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

They think Robert Evans is a nazi? Or is he just too much of a liberal for them? He gives relatively in-depth explanations for how to develop a mutual aid network among your neighbors and how to feed yourself with a .22 rifle on multiple podcast appearances, but that might be a little too real for someone who thinks of posting as praxis.

Evans wrote the best summary of why the alt-right was so focused on Portland that I have seen, and I have regularly shared it with people outside Oregon to give them some background, but no, I guess C-SPAM has determined he is an agent of the Deep State.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Evans believes that US intervention can be good, and has worked for people in the past who advocated interventions that were obviously bad. That is the sum total of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Evans wrote the best summary of why the alt-right was so focused on Portland that I have seen, and I have regularly shared it with people outside Oregon to give them some background, but no, I guess C-SPAM has determined he is an agent of the Deep State.

I'd be interested in that summary, if you're comfortable linking it/another post of yours/PMing it to me, whatever you feel is appropriate.