Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Well it's well known that Syfy mandated the new show to be BSG-esque since that was their big hit. They were getting away from fun scifi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
If there was any justice in the world, when they cancelled SGU they should've brought back Atlantis. I don't care if they would've had to rebuild all the sets. That show easily had another 5 seasons in it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
At least a season of Atlantis being on Earth. Surely people on Earth would have noticed a city coming in from space.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

They have a script for an Atlantis movie called Extinction. Should just release it.

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Release WHAT, exactly? Even with a script, its not like they've done any scenes yet.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Vietnamwees posted:

Release WHAT, exactly? Even with a script, its not like they've done any scenes yet.

I assume just the script, but a few show have throws scripts to Dark Horse and had graphic novels made

Google says a Stargate Universe Comic series exists. I remember following Fire Fly for a bit.

SGU comics have to be bad right? Anyone actually read them?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I remember two issues coming out. Total amateur hour poo poo.

Gelf
Oct 1, 2005

Wake up and smell the psychosis!\

Just finished Unending tonight capping off a long drawn out re-watch with the husband that started with Sydney's first lockdown last year.

Few aspects of season 9 & 10 hit differently now.....

Seeing Cliff Simon have fun with the Ba'al clones in the weeks following his death :(
Carter's incredulity at how quickly bizzaro-america abandoned democracy in The Road Not Taken....
How quickly they were able to put the lid back on a global pandemic.........

Seeing one of the first "adult Adria" appearances on a large 4k TV for the first time made it really hilariously obvious when one of her "evil" cheapo contact lenses gets stuck in a wonky position and production either doesn't notice or can't afford to go again with the scene. It was my personal highlight of the season.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Cojawfee posted:

At least a season of Atlantis being on Earth. Surely people on Earth would have noticed a city coming in from space.

That they didn't even bother broach that in SGU means tr latter is not canon. change my mind :colbert:

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

They leaned hard into the "but it was cloaked the whole time" angle too hard.

Pretty sure there would be a pretty big fireball from reentry regardless. They also can't keep San Francisco bay closed off forever.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

alexandriao posted:

That they didn't even bother broach that in SGU means tr latter is not canon. change my mind :colbert:

If there's one thing about this sentence that isn't canon it ought to be SGU. Atlantis landing on earth means the gate program would have to be public eventually, and also can you imagine all that available housing? You could rent an apartment for half market rate and the only downside is that your shower might blow up another galaxy.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
There were a couple of other times that stretched credulity that they got away with it without someone noticing. Like the battle at Antarctica that only that one billionaire noticed apparently. And then that one building they beamed away and said it had a natural gas explosion or something. There were probably other instances that I'm forgetting.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

IRQ posted:

If there's one thing about this sentence that isn't canon it ought to be SGU. Atlantis landing on earth means the gate program would have to be public eventually, and also can you imagine all that available housing? You could rent an apartment for half market rate and the only downside is that your shower might blow up another galaxy.

My morning shower is heated by the dying screams of micro universes but that's okay it's the best drat shower I've ever had

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
While using a sulfate free soap in the shower does cause a large portion of the city to explode, thus destroying the local star system, no rational person would use sulfate free soap in this shower in the first place. An ancient simply wouldn't do that.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Even if they couldn’t see it I’m sure all San Francisco would feel that loving tsunami it created crashing into the water.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Invalid Validation posted:

Even if they couldn’t see it I’m sure all San Francisco would feel that loving tsunami it created crashing into the water.

It has aquatic dampeners to ugh put out waves at exactly the right frequency that as it displaces the water it I guess the displacement cancels the waves? I dunno it's all very scientific.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

pixaal posted:

It has aquatic dampeners to ugh put out waves at exactly the right frequency that as it displaces the water it I guess the displacement cancels the waves? I dunno it's all very scientific.

No there are waves shown when it lands on the second planet.

I guess if you want to technobabble it you can say that they extended the reach of the inertial dampeners, which conceptually makes sense until you realise that that would also dampen people moving as well or something. I dunno.

IRQ posted:

Yeah. The thing is, according to SGU canon, Atlantis landing on earth basically might as well never have happened

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

They showed the first few pages of the Atlantis script and it said they flew the base to the moon. Atlantis also started a self destruct countdown and they figured out they had to bring it back to the pegasus galaxy to not explode. Then they go on a time travel shennanigans involving Todd and Future Todd.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

That sounds fun as hell.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

The best part of Atlantis was how they were always just mopping up from the last crisis when the next one comes along

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Joe's blog has a bunch of stuff about a potential season 6 of Atlantis. The writers room was breaking down episodes when they got canceled.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
They wanted to keep things vague in SGU because they were desperately trying to get movies made behind the scenes.

Revolution was supposedly going to be a story that has public disclosure of the program.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
They definitely seemed to be teasing the idea every once in a while for the last few seasons and then never did get around to making it public.
I wonder how they would've done it in Revolution?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Upside: Earth's entire public finds out about the Stargate

Downside: because it opens a singularity that consumes the mantle

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Brawnfire posted:

Upside: Earth's entire public finds out about the Stargate

Downside: because it opens a singularity that consumes the mantle

Solution: they find an enormous planetoid from the same system that the naquadah asteroid came from and rig it to a hyperdrive set to disengage inside the Earth, replacing the vacant core with one of solid naquadah. :techno: causes every volcano on the planet to erupt pure n-lava simultaneously. Earth not only has the Ancient and Asgard databases but is now the richest planet in the galaxy... and the first order of business is to buy a new ecosystem.

Executive producer: Roland Emmerich

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I wouldn't trade the tv shows we got for it, but I really wish I could see the version of Independence Day that was actually a Stargate sequel.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

It's all pretty much right there if you squint hard enough. They basically just did a pallet swap and added a few pieces to make the new version fit.

Plotac 75
Aug 8, 2007
Mysteries of the ancient lizardman sealed by ancient, mysterious lizard magicks lost in the mysterious realm of ancient lizardmen from ages far, far ago.
It's just occurred to me that the design of the alien encounter suits is even reminiscent of Jaffa/Ra headgear (in general shape, not the fact that they open up).

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
I wonder if they would've still had the part with them flying into the mothership to upload a virus from an old Apple Mac Powerbook laptop.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Nullsmack posted:

I wonder if they would've still had the part with them flying into the mothership to upload a virus from an old Apple Mac Powerbook laptop.

Its funny because its obviously just a recycled idea from the ending of Stargate anyway. [find a way to get a nuke into the enemy ship, boom done] If we do the simple 1:1 swap then Jeff Goldblum = good with computers becomes James Spader = good with language. So the idea of hacking in with a macbook just becomes "uses a macbook to alter his voice while talking in Ra speak and orders the shields down himself" Which is something SG-1 uses as a joke plotline later down the line anyway.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

https://i.imgur.com/3YN1G65.mp4

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit
I just finished rewatching all of SG-1, and now I'm sad. There just isn't another sci-fi show like this that manages to balance long term serialized continuity with excellent one-offs this drat well. Even though it has some doldrums and blunders, it's overall one of the most wonderful and unique shows I've ever seen. I'm gonna miss it a lot.

I made notes of good episodes as I went, and these were the ones I considered to be the best overall.

• 1x20 - There but for the Grace of God. Dan visits an alternate universe where Apophis attacks earth with a big gently caress off fleet and things don't go so well. S1 can be pretty drab at times, but this episode massively ups the stakes and gives us some serious momentum and tension going forward.
  • 2x7 - Message In a Bottle. An ancient artifact turns out to be a repository for some very alien aliens. Serious first contact, with virtually flawless threat escalation and writing till the end.
  • 2x16 - A Matter of Time. Slightly imperfect execution doesn't mar the fabulous concept - a black hole through the gate. Memorable enough that the concept ends up being re-used a bunch of times throughout the run.
  • 3x12-13 - Jolinar's Memories & The Devil You Know. The gang goes to hell in this midseason two-parter. The set and costumes are phenomenal and the plotting is suitably epic. Plenty of Goa'uld shenanigans and one of our big villains gets to have a triumph of his own.
  • 4x6 - Window of Opportunity. Time loop shenanigans. Hilarious. Also ends up serving as lore for the Ori setup.
  • 4x7 - Watergate. I'm a sucker for good first contact, and this is another amazing scenario with super tight writing.
  • 5x10 - 2001. This is a sequel to 4x16 2010, an alt-future time travel scenario which leaves the audience with more knowledge than the characters. As a result, we get to know the ending to this in advance, while we root for our heroes to figure it all out. Brilliant stuff.
  • 6x1-2 - Redemption. Anubis tries to hold the gate open and overload it. Epic stakes and wicked sick escalation. Feels like they blew the budget for the rest of the season on this one.
  • 7x22 - Lost City. This setup for SGA is also the first of several aborted series finales, and it's appropriately intense. We race to find the Lost City and defend earth from an encroaching Anubis fleet at the same time. A suitable end to 'classic' SG-1.
  • 9x6 - Beachhead. I really love the Ori as villains, and this is the moment it becomes clear that they might just be invincible. Absolutely bananas threat escalation in this one.
  • 10x3 - The Pegasus Project. This long awaited SGA crossover features some wonderful cast interactions and a ridiculously epic climax. Only marred by the fact that Teal'cs voice through the time dilation effect should be higher and faster, not lower and slower. Missed opportunity for chipmunk Teal'c notwithstanding, this is a fantastic episode.
  • 10x6 - 200. The real finale of the show for me. A writer's retrospective on 10 years and 200 episodes running. Hilarious and quite endearing. Gags and spoofs abound. “The core of science fiction, its essence, the concept about which it revolves, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all.” - Asimov
  • 10x10-11 - The Quest. I can't believe how incredible this two-parter is. We team up with some badguys to go on a classic fantasy quest, and the result is Fargate at its best. Fantastic character interactions, plotting and escalation. Gripping to the bitter end.
  • 10x20 - Unending. The setup is ludicrously contrived, but it doesn't matter. A beautiful and contemplative farewell to the characters that saves the big splashy fuckoff metaplot endings for the movies.

Of the 3 major arcs the show goes through, I found the Anubis/Humanform reps arc from S5-8 to be overall the weakest - quite derivative of the S1-4 Apophis arc. Anubis is pretty bland, and humanform reps are the same stupid anthropomorphizing blunder as the Borg Queen. Neither bigbad are all that effective or interesting, and S5-8 really suffer as a result. I remember finding the sudden Fargate switch to be pretty jarring the first time through, but this time S9-10 were by far my favorites. So glad the show got to go out with its best material after 10 seasons.

emTme3 fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Aug 11, 2021

Stanley Tucheetos
May 15, 2012

splifyphus posted:

I just finished rewatching all of SG-1, and now I'm sad. There just isn't another sci-fi show like this that manages to balance long term serialized continuity with excellent one-offs this drat well. Even though it has some doldrums and blunders, it's overall one of the most wonderful and unique shows I've ever seen. I'm gonna miss it a lot.

I made notes of good episodes as I went, and these were the ones I considered to be the best overall.

• 1x20 - There but for the Grace of God. Dan visits an alternate universe where Apophis attacks earth with a big gently caress off fleet and things don't go so well. S1 can be pretty drab at times, but this episode massively ups the stakes and gives us some serious momentum and tension going forward.
  • 2x7 - Message In a Bottle. An ancient artifact turns out to be a repository for some very alien aliens. Serious first contact, with virtually flawless threat escalation and writing till the end.
  • 2x16 - A Matter of Time. Slightly imperfect execution doesn't mar the fabulous concept - a black hole through the gate. Memorable enough that the concept ends up being re-used a bunch of times throughout the run.
  • 3x12-13 - Jolinar's Memories & The Devil You Know. The gang goes to hell in this midseason two-parter. The set and costumes are phenomenal and the plotting is suitably epic. Plenty of Goa'uld shenanigans and one of our big villains gets to have a triumph of his own.
  • 4x6 - Window of Opportunity. Time loop shenanigans. Hilarious. Also ends up serving as lore for the Ori setup.
  • 4x7 - Watergate. I'm a sucker for good first contact, and this is another amazing scenario with super tight writing.
  • 5x10 - 2001. This is a sequel to 4x16 2010, an alt-future time travel scenario which leaves the audience with more knowledge than the characters. As a result, we get to know the ending to this in advance, while we root for our heroes to figure it all out. Brilliant stuff.
  • 6x1-2 - Redemption. Anubis tries to hold the gate open and overload it. Epic stakes and wicked sick escalation. Feels like they blew the budget for the rest of the season on this one.
  • 7x22 - Lost City. This setup for SGA is also the first of several aborted series finales, and it's appropriately intense. We race to find the Lost City and defend earth from an encroaching Anubis fleet at the same time. A suitable end to 'classic' SG-1.
  • 9x6 - Beachhead. I really love the Ori as villains, and this is the moment it becomes clear that they might just be invincible. Absolutely bananas threat escalation in this one.
  • 10x3 - The Pegasus Project. This long awaited SGA crossover features some wonderful cast interactions and a ridiculously epic climax. Only marred by the fact that Teal'cs voice through the time dilation effect should be higher and faster, not lower and slower. Missed opportunity for chipmunk Teal'c notwithstanding, this is a fantastic episode.
  • 10x6 - 200. The real finale of the show for me. A writer's retrospective on 10 years and 200 episodes running. Hilarious and quite endearing. Gags and spoofs abound. “The core of science fiction, its essence, the concept about which it revolves, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all.” - Asimov
  • 10x10-11 - The Quest. I can't believe how incredible this two-parter is. We team up with some badguys to go on a classic fantasy quest, and the result is Fargate at its best. Fantastic character interactions, plotting and escalation. Gripping to the bitter end.
  • 10x20 - Unending. The setup is ludicrously contrived, but it doesn't matter. A beautiful and contemplative farewell to the characters that saves the big splashy fuckoff metaplot endings for the movies.

Of the 3 major arcs the show goes through, I found the Anubis/Humanform reps arc from S5-8 to be overall the weakest - quite derivative of the S1-4 Apophis arc. Anubis is pretty bland, and humanform reps are the same stupid anthropomorphizing blunder as the Borg Queen. Neither bigbad are all that effective or interesting, and S5-8 really suffer as a result. I remember finding the sudden Fargate switch to be pretty jarring the first time through, but this time S9-10 were by far my favorites. So glad the show got to go out with its best material after 10 seasons.
If you haven't watch Atlantis. It's up there with the best of sg1.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Unless it's a Teyla episode.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Rhyno posted:

Unless it's a Teyla episode.

Also most of the pre-Jason Momoa.

They tried so hard to make Sgt. Ford a thing he must've been personally related to a EP.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

pentyne posted:

They tried so hard to make Sgt. Ford a thing he must've been personally related to a EP.

They cast him as a regular and then demoted him to recurring after a single season, that's not really trying to make the character a thing.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I saw him on some streamed panel recently and oh man is Rainbow Sun-Franks just a tiny bit bitter.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So is everyone that sat through his scenes.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
I'm nowhere near judging anyone's acting abilities but Ford was totally out of spirit of the team. He felt wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I didn’t think Mamoa was all that great either but he at least had a good physical presence.