Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

garfield hentai posted:

Have you played Anodyne 2? I had never heard of it before the best games of 2020 thread but it's incredible and absolutely fits the bill for trippy weird avant-garde indie games.

I own it but haven't played it yet, to my shame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

yegods posted:

That was the main reason I stopped researching building my own :)

Still, any pointers to online builders would be appreciated.

As far as I know none of the boutique places do Mini-ITX or builds of that sort because there's no call for them, at least for at home gaming PCs. Someone might know more though.

an owls casket
Jun 4, 2001

Pillbug

StrixNebulosa posted:

I own it but haven't played it yet, to my shame.

It's great, and weird. I liked the first one too, but it's not necessary to have played it to play the second game. There's a couple of "oh poo poo, that's cool" moments that you'll miss out on, but whether that's worth playing a decent but kind of clunky Zelda clone for is debatable.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Broken Cog posted:

I bit the bullet and picked it up. It's honestly not bad, though the combat isn't as meaty as Hollow Knight or Dead Cells (tbf I didn't expect it to be). It has that issue where there is feedback on your hits, but it still feels like all your blows go straight through enemies.

I see where you're coming from, not a huge fan of the paperdoll style myself, but I honestly find the graphics better than the normal bunch of these kinds of games. I've only died once so far (to the first enemy that left a lingering damage field on the floor, because it's bloody hard to see!), but it's been a couple of close calls, especially at the second boss.

Edit: Also the game tries really hard to be sad.

I’m a sucker for these types of games but Ender Lilies does absolutely nothing new or interesting so I’d say most people should skip it

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Lakbay posted:

I’m a sucker for these types of games but Ender Lilies does absolutely nothing new or interesting so I’d say most people should skip it

Yeah, absolutely adequate is about where I'd put it.

yegods
Apr 6, 2007

Cerebus can destroy ANYTHING. Cerebus is the POPE.

pentyne posted:

1070Ti's are selling on ebay for $500.

Your best bet is honestly paying $1500-1800 for a prebuilt machine with a 3060 in it if you are trying to save money

Thanks, I could move up in price to that range, but I'm really looking for something pretty small. The ones on amazon, seem fairly large, but it's difficult to gauge the size from their photos.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

yegods posted:

Sorry for the slightly off topic, but I'm looking for a vendor for a mini gaming pc, hopefully around the size of one of current gen consoles. I'd like to stick one in my living room, and don't have the patience to build those tiny things. Any reputable online builders I should know of? TIA

You could try asking in the build a computer thread in SHSC

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3970266&pagenumber=4&perpage=40

Read the OP so you ask the right questions: budget, use case, location etc

yegods
Apr 6, 2007

Cerebus can destroy ANYTHING. Cerebus is the POPE.

Orv posted:

As far as I know none of the boutique places do Mini-ITX or builds of that sort because there's no call for them, at least for at home gaming PCs. Someone might know more though.

Thanks, just thought I'd ask around. I'll probably end up waiting until the graphics card-pocalypse dies down, and build my own.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

StrixNebulosa posted:

It's me, I fuckin' love trippy weird avant-garde video games. The itch bundles have been a godsend for showing me WEIRD nonsense games and having one of them on steam is aces.

You should look at Slimes:

quote:

Of the things that came with the arrival of an alien being, the weakest of all of them are the slimes. Nobody knows what exactly these things are, but, as weak as they are, nobody's succeeded in destroying one of the dungeons from which they spawn.

Julius Anderson, a modern day crusader, takes the job of eradicating one of these slime dens. Hired on to help him is, well, Julius refuses to learn his name, on account of him being "diseased" with magic, but he's a healer. Through teeth-clenched teamwork, can the duo reach the bottom floor and destroy the source of the slimes?

Slimes is a 3-4 hour long dungeon crawler about two guys clearing a dungeon of slimes. Most of the story is told through side stories, which you get for clearing each floor. Kill them all and maybe there's a happy ending at the end of it all.
As JRPGs go this is pretty tough but not unreasonably so. You have to be smart but you don't have to be lucky.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
So I'd kind of forgotten about its existence since it was an EGS exclusive, but Industries of Titan just came out on Steam https://store.steampowered.com/app/427940/Industries_of_Titan/

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Mordja posted:

So I'd kind of forgotten about its existence since it was an EGS exclusive, but Industries of Titan just came out on Steam https://store.steampowered.com/app/427940/Industries_of_Titan/

I've been looking forward to this one. Picked it up today but haven't played it yet. Looks really stylish, hoping it holds up.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Is Cities: Skylines still the go-to if I'm looking for a simcity-esque building game? A quick look shows that apparently it got enmeshed in some weird privacy/publisher account nonsense that people are still miffed about?

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

yegods posted:

Thanks, just thought I'd ask around. I'll probably end up waiting until the graphics card-pocalypse dies down, and build my own.

If you don't want to build your own, your best bet is probably to use a gaming laptop instead of an SFF prebuilt (if you can even find a company that makes them, I'm not aware of any). Just make sure to run it with the lid open and keep it well ventilated.

If you do decide to build your own, you should check out the dedicated SFF thread in SH/SC: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3776587

Either way, I think you're gonna need more budget. In addition to the market being royally hosed with shortages and scalpers, gaming laptops and SFF both come at a price premium compared to standard ATX desktops.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Foul Fowl posted:

it's like a tactical fps. every mission you're told to kill one or more people and then find the level exit. there's tons of different ways to go about this, the levels are generally enormous and sprawling and full of weird things and secrets and terrifying enemies. the game knows it's a game, knows that you know it's a game, and so messes with your expectations and its rules very freely. movement feels amazing and only gets better with the more hideous and disgusting bio mods you buy and install into yourself. it looks ugly as gently caress until you play it for a bit. then it looks great.

no setpieces, no walk and chats, no compromising fun for the sake of realism with five second animations for picking up an egg. just gameplay. it's hard to explain the exact feeling you get but it's kinda like when you pull off something really sick and unexpected that the game clearly didn't account for. cruelty squad feels like it doesn't account for anything, it just lets you try whatever you want.

definitely one to try to see if you like it, there's nothing like it.

well haha good luck.

It's not the same kind of FPS but I recommend Prodeus for this oldschool FPS design philosophy as well, it's an absolute homage to old Doom (right down to several enemies being essentially the same) and keeps the same gameplay flow in-tact of being dropped in a level, killing everything and finding the keys, then finishing the level.

I played through Doom 1 and 2 recently for the first time (and I played in VR which was great) and then started trying out some of these Doom/old iD FPS remakes/re-envisionings recently and Prodeus is the only one that really feels as good as old Doom to me. It also looks really good in a way that even other throwbacks with new rendering techniques like Amid Evil don't. And it has a great, easy to use and powerful map editor, and an in-game browser of user-created maps and campaigns.

Also it has absurd ultra-gore and a soundtrack that rivals any Doom soundtrack and great gun sounds, and a quad shotgun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUGXuAUlM28

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jun 21, 2021

Orv
May 4, 2011
Isn't there already a game called Prodeus from way back? Like with the d and everything.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Wildermyth update: my mage's son, who joined the party and was mostly stuck doing boring stuff like building walls around towns, joined us for a fight and almost died. I couldn't just let him die in front of his mother so I took the 'maimed' option instead, and now he has an awesome petrified arm that he can hit people with. So win-win really. Except now he can't use two-handed weapons.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Orv posted:

Isn't there already a game called Prodeus from way back? Like with the d and everything.

You sure? I can't find anything but there was def a Proteus.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Mordja posted:

You sure? I can't find anything but there was def a Proteus.

I am probably wrong about the d, honestly. Definitely remember a Proteus so that's probably it.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

HopperUK posted:

Wildermyth update: my mage's son, who joined the party and was mostly stuck doing boring stuff like building walls around towns, joined us for a fight and almost died. I couldn't just let him die in front of his mother so I took the 'maimed' option instead, and now he has an awesome petrified arm that he can hit people with. So win-win really. Except now he can't use two-handed weapons.

I just got involved in a couple of other long playing games but really want to hop into this and play just for this weird rear end stuff that happens.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
i've got prodeus on my wishlist and ready to buy the second it fully releases (along with gloomwood, wrath, ultrakill, hrot, a bunch of other FPS games) since my brain worms won't let me play games in EA and all the new boomer shooters seem to be there.

speaking of FPS's though i started playing doom eternal for free* on gamepass and it's hard as gently caress but really drat fun.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Broken Cog posted:

Any opinions on Ender Lilies? Souls-like 2d metroidvania (I know I know...) with overwhelmingly positive reviews. Seems to have released today.

I like the art but Dead Cells has probably ruined me for the genre. If the controls and movement aren't as tight as dead cells, I can't gently caress with it. Do you have dead cells? Dead cells is a good game.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
Streams of Dark Alliance are up.

It sure is a video game that was made. For whatever reason.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Mordja posted:

So Epic for their money got the first year of what will likely be at least two years of Early Access exclusively. And they're also doing Phantom Brigade at the same time, same deal? Gotta respect that hustle.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Mescal posted:

I like the art but Dead Cells has probably ruined me for the genre. If the controls and movement aren't as tight as dead cells, I can't gently caress with it. Do you have dead cells? Dead cells is a good game.

There is very little metroidvania in dead cells imo, it's almost purely just an action roguelite

doesn't scratch that itch at all

Orv
May 4, 2011

GhostDog posted:

So Epic for their money got the first year of what will likely be at least two years of Early Access exclusively. And they're also doing Phantom Brigade at the same time, same deal? Gotta respect that hustle.

I think the Industries of Titan crew is publishing for the Phantom Brigade devs?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Any notable FPS demos? I gave Industria a quick go and it seems kind of neat while missing the fundamentals.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Mordja posted:

Any notable FPS demos? I gave Industria a quick go and it seems kind of neat while missing the fundamentals.
Dread Templar is a fun retro one. Severed Steel if you like doing slides, dives, wallruns and bullet time.

e: bear in mind DT is not perfect, I thought the level design was a little confusing or easy to misread at times and the maps don't take enough advantage of the sword throw and dash mechanics

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jun 21, 2021

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Orv posted:

I think the Industries of Titan crew is publishing for the Phantom Brigade devs?

Steam has both as the same dev, but I don't know the specifics.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Orv posted:

I believe you're thinking of the same game, it's actually been out on some level, early access I assume, for a while now. Not 'way back' but some time anyways

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

The 7th Guest posted:

Dread Templar is a fun retro one. Severed Steel if you like doing slides, dives, wallruns and bullet time.

e: bear in mind DT is not perfect, I thought the level design was a little confusing or easy to misread at times and the maps don't take enough advantage of the sword throw and dash mechanics

Hmmm, I played DT back when it was Hell Hunt and didn't think much of it, and yeah, already played SS, was a fun time.

Orv
May 4, 2011

GhostDog posted:

Steam has both as the same dev, but I don't know the specifics.

Phew, my memory isn't completely cheesecloth yet.

https://twitter.com/BYG_Vancouver/status/1035378224304291840?s=20

Same studio (now,) different teams

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

deep dish peat moss posted:

It's not the same kind of FPS but I recommend Prodeus for this oldschool FPS design philosophy as well, it's an absolute homage to old Doom (right down to several enemies being essentially the same) and keeps the same gameplay flow in-tact of being dropped in a level, killing everything and finding the keys, then finishing the level.

I played through Doom 1 and 2 recently for the first time (and I played in VR which was great) and then started trying out some of these Doom/old iD FPS remakes/re-envisionings recently and Prodeus is the only one that really feels as good as old Doom to me. It also looks really good in a way that even other throwbacks with new rendering techniques like Amid Evil don't. And it has a great, easy to use and powerful map editor, and an in-game browser of user-created maps and campaigns.

Also it has absurd ultra-gore and a soundtrack that rivals any Doom soundtrack and great gun sounds, and a quad shotgun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUGXuAUlM28

Yo, thanks for bringing this game to my attention. Everything about the look of that video is my jam. Thanks to Hired Gun I've been on the look out for more fast-paced shooters, retro-inspired or otherwise, and this looks like a prime candidate.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!
prodeus owns. its ea and the campaign mode isnt finished yet but its like the best feeling old school shootoer ive ever played including the actual old school ones

https://i.imgur.com/SUTxijK.mp4

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

dang if that doesn't look pretty

Rage McDougal
Jul 28, 2013

So after hearing some people mention upthread that Wildermyth can be a bit easy I jumped straight into it at the difficulty above normal. And then promptly had a full party wipe in my first incursion battle.

Really enjoyed everything up to that point, so now I'm just trying to decide if I stick with it as-is, or put the difficulty down to normal...

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

So apparently Dungeons and Dragons: Dark Alliance is complete garbage. That's too bad, because I think there is a market for more beat-em-up type games like the original Dark Alliance so I was kind of hoping for the best even though I was baffled by some of their decisions like moving it to a 3rd person view.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
IIRC Dark Alliance has always been garbage, I remember making fun of the first game and the whole idea itself still seems just as corny and missing-the-point as ever.

How is that new Ninja Turtles beat-em-up? I don't have the best impression of the genre in general so I can't tell what sets apart a good one from bad.

edit: Maybe this is a Fable kind of thing, a sort of sucky game that is only remembered by people who really love it and remember it fondly and liked what it did and how. The new one looks broken regardless of my old opinion of the franchise.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jun 21, 2021

Flimf
Sep 3, 2006

Khanstant posted:

IIRC Dark Alliance has always been garbage, I remember making fun of the first game and the whole idea itself still seems just as corny and missing-the-point as ever.

How is that new Ninja Turtles beat-em-up? I don't have the best impression of the genre in general so I can't tell what sets apart a good one from bad.

You recall wrong. The old Dark Alliance games are great.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Dark Alliance 1&2 were stone cold classics, look at how they massacred my boy, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Looks like controller style diablo and controller seems like the least miserable way to play an aRPG. I can see why Baldur's Gate wanters were bitchy about it but why people who played it woulda had a good time, at the time, at least. Makes it weirder they hosed the new one up, if they made enemies run towards the player character they'd be a lot closer already.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4K9bzFJAe_A

There was even a gameboy version, gameboy devs made the formula work on a gba but new folks on new tech couldnt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIaeb17QBcA