Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I vaguely remember some kind of droid rights organization appearing in the background of one of the goofier Bantam-era novels, though I have no way of pinning down which one it was. Probably one of the KJA ones?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!

Rochallor posted:

I vaguely remember some kind of droid rights organization appearing in the background of one of the goofier Bantam-era novels, though I have no way of pinning down which one it was. Probably one of the KJA ones?

The Courtship of Princess Leia posted:

[At a session of the Alderaanian Council]
'Councilman Horm?' See-Threepio's voice cut through the council room. Leia turned, saw the golden droid standing on tiptoe and waving from the back of the room excitedly. 'Oh, Councilman Horm, may I address the council?'

What?' Horm asked in disdain. 'Let a droid address the council?'

Leia smiled inwardly. The droid rights lobbyists would have a field day with that comment. It might well be the first nail in the coffin for Horm's political career. Leia stood quickly. 'He may only be a counselor droid, but I think we should let him speak!'

There was grumbled assent from the general assembly, along with deafening cheers from the forest of media droids in the back.

'I, I, I see nothing wrong with that!' Horm sputtered, waving his arms. 'I yield the podium to, to, tothat droid!'

The media droids cheered and Threepio walked up to the podium, scanning the crowd on his left and right as he did so.

That was the most I ever remember them dipping into, other than Droid manufacturing worlds going rogue thanks to IG-88 or Kueller.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Chairman Capone posted:

If I remember right, wasn't Fincher the first person they asked to direct Episode VII? And then Brad Bird after he turned it down?

Goddamn I wish I lived in the universe where Brad Bird got the keys to the sequel trilogy. Incredibles and Mission Impossible 4 loving owned.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

ninjahedgehog posted:

Goddamn I wish I lived in the universe where Brad Bird got the keys to the sequel trilogy. Incredibles and Mission Impossible 4 loving owned.

The Brad Bird story of almost getting Episode VII is kind of funny. He turned it down to do Tomorrowland instead, but he initially proposed that he do both movies, but that at first he would dedicate the majority of his time on Tomorrowland while an up and coming indy director named Colin Trevorrow (who had just been hired by Disney to write a remake of Flight of the Navigator) handle the pre-production of Episode VII, and then once shooting on Tomorrowland was done, Treverrow would take over post-production on Tomorrowland while Bird would handle the filming of Episode VII.

Obviously that didn't go through, but it's because of that that proposal by Bird that Treverrow came to Spielberg's attention and was chosen to do Jurassic World.

T___A
Jan 18, 2014

Nothing would go right until we had a dictator, and the sooner the better.
I wonder how the EU would've integrated Ahsoka if the Disney buyout didn't happen. Spend decades in a Vong prison a la Darth Krayt?

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

T___A posted:

I wonder how the EU would've integrated Ahsoka if the Disney buyout didn't happen. Spend decades in a Vong prison a la Darth Krayt?

They had about a ton of "somehow escaped the Jedi purge" characters back then, she'd just be one more in the flood really.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

if you made a clone of ahsoka, which vowel would you double in her name?

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Jazerus posted:

if you made a clone of ahsoka, which vowel would you double in her name?

ahhhsoka

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Actually clones only double the u and the i in names, it's a little known linguistic reform dating to Hyperspace War era historians dealing with Sith clones from the planet Zioth.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

T___A posted:

I did think it was weird at the time that when one of the Fate of the Jedi books recapped the Mortis episodes of Clone Wars, they completely avoided any mention of Ahsoka. Felt like a very strange thing, and seemed like some kind of mandate to avoid touching on whether any of the main OT/EU cast knew about Ahsoka.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

I wonder if it would have been better in the Great Canon Purge of 2014 if they had just removed Clone Wars from Legends altogether. Not only did the addition of Ashoka make a ton of pre-2008 prequel era content real weird in hindsight, they also killed a lot of characters on the show that were alive and well in novels and such and snarled up the war’s timeline something fierce. I remember for a while lucasfilm was promising an updated timeline after the show ended, but then the Legends split happened and they just stopped caring.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I think the problem with that is twofold. One is that there was at the end at least some bleeding over of Clone Wars stuff into the "proper" EU - the Mortis aspect in the later Denning novels for instance, but also a lot of Clone Wars stuff mixed into the last few Essential Guides. But there's also the practical problem - the canon reset also ended the EU/Legends, so it's not like there would be any future Legends content that could then go forward ignoring Clone Wars, or even anything addressing a "reset" Legends because even those things weren't being made any more.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

T___A posted:

The EU would've gotten torched regardless. Lucas was putting together his Sequel Trilogy as incentive for the sale (and was initially planning on making Episode 7 before selling the company), so they never would've gotten the chance to incorporate her. There was also an Episode 7 video game on the table at some point, so that's three different potential Sequel Trilogies that would've had to wipe the slate clean.

If none of them happened though, she might've featured in the live action Underworld series they were trying to get off the ground, and eventually been killed by Vader (unless Filoni still got the chance to fanfic her into a time hole to save her).

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

T___A posted:

Actually this is making me remember that if the Disney buyout hadn't happened, the Clone Wars would have gone on long enough to feature the Yuuzhan Vong episode, so Ahsoka might have wound up encountering them.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

I mentioned a while back that i was re-reading the legends books that i have. With the additional insight of a timeline to follow now i thought it'd be neat to read these things in chronological order. Just now starting Part 3 of the Thrawn Trilogy and i can't loving believe they called back to that stupid, out of nowhere blaster in a book thing Corran found in Krytos Trap. Although considering the Thrawn books came out 4 years before the Rogue Squadron books i guess it's more of a reference/callback to the Thrawn series than any kind of cool, consistent universe building. It's still really neat to see though! :v:

The weirdest thing is how Rogue Squadron went back to just "Rogue X" in dialog now with no names,no personality and assumingly all human!But i guess things like that can't be helped when going chronologically and not in release order.

I remember lots of people (myself included at the time) thought they should just make the Thrawn trilogy into episodes 7 8 and 9. But re-reading them i think if they actually did i would get kinda bored with how often the characters would go to a planet, get some plot and then get attacked by a Star Destroyer. Before Thrawn would just kinda bullshit his way into guessing where they would be going next.

Mara Jade should come back into canon in some way, she's pretty cool when she's not being moody about The Emperor being dead for 5 years.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

The Shame Boy posted:

I mentioned a while back that i was re-reading the legends books that i have. With the additional insight of a timeline to follow now i thought it'd be neat to read these things in chronological order. Just now starting Part 3 of the Thrawn Trilogy and i can't loving believe they called back to that stupid, out of nowhere blaster in a book thing Corran found in Krytos Trap. Although considering the Thrawn books came out 4 years before the Rogue Squadron books i guess it's more of a reference/callback to the Thrawn series than any kind of cool, consistent universe building. It's still really neat to see though! :v:

The weirdest thing is how Rogue Squadron went back to just "Rogue X" in dialog now with no names,no personality and assumingly all human!But i guess things like that can't be helped when going chronologically and not in release order.

I remember lots of people (myself included at the time) thought they should just make the Thrawn trilogy into episodes 7 8 and 9. But re-reading them i think if they actually did i would get kinda bored with how often the characters would go to a planet, get some plot and then get attacked by a Star Destroyer. Before Thrawn would just kinda bullshit his way into guessing where they would be going next.

Mara Jade should come back into canon in some way, she's pretty cool when she's not being moody about The Emperor being dead for 5 years.

Thrawn does not bullshit anything. People bullshit around Thrawn. Thrawn defeats everyone in the most artistic fashion possible. :colbert:

Anyway, as much as I would love for them to bring Mara Jade into the new EU at some point, she's a bit more difficult than Thrawn. Her story (as we know it) is pretty linked to Luke, and they're avoiding telling any stories about Luke in between ROTJ and TFA. I'm hoping at some point they tell some stories like that, and maybe adapt the Thrawn trilogy in some way (they can skip the Hand of Thrawn duology if they want, so Luke and Mara don't get together romantically), maybe as an animated TV show (this is my ultimate hope). Nothing in there has really been contradicted yet, so it could work. But anything else would require a pretty extensive reworking of her main motivation from Legends (kill Luke Skywalker). Which isn't necessarily bad, but might make enough people angry that they get scared and avoid it.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jun 22, 2021

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

I enjoy the Thrawn trilogy as much as the next person, but the whole "they should be the sequel trilogy" thing has never quite sat right with me. I think they present a very different vision of Star Wars than the movies, less of the operatics and mysticism and capital-D Destiny stuff and more of a nuts and bolts mil sci-fi focus. You can definitely see the RPG roots of it, and in particular, the way that Zahn handles the Force feels very much like something built around game mechanics, with very clearly defined limitations and counters to Force usage. And like to be clear, I'm not saying that's a bad thing, and I very much enjoy that you have all these different takes on Star Wars, just that Zahn's stuff (and Stackpole and Allston as well, to an extent) always felt to me like their own direction on SW than a direct extension of the movies. As opposed to say, something like Dark Empire that feels like it's using a lot of the same themes and tone as the original trilogy.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Bring back Mara Jade as an Emperor’s Hand/Jedi assassin, no Luke needed. :colbert:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It'll probably happen eventually.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Xenomrph posted:

Bring back Mara Jade as an Emperor’s Hand/Jedi assassin, no Luke needed. :colbert:

Oh like during the reign of the Empire? Duh, I don't know why I didn't think of that. That would work perfectly.

At some point, people would probably want her to be a hero, though. Then you could do the post Empire animated TV show thing I was talking about.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I keep meaning to kick off my big giant Legends reread. Legit my divorce kinda derailed that plan since it was originally gonna be a collaborative effort with my ex.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Zany was kind of inching towards a view of the proper way a Jedi ought to use the Force in the trilogy. Hand of Thrawn has it front and center as a theme.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

thrawn527 posted:

Oh like during the reign of the Empire? Duh, I don't know why I didn't think of that. That would work perfectly.

At some point, people would probably want her to be a hero, though. Then you could do the post Empire animated TV show thing I was talking about.

Even post-Empire, you could have her as a part of Operation Cinder murdering the poo poo out of, well, just about anybody.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Lord Hydronium posted:

I enjoy the Thrawn trilogy as much as the next person, but the whole "they should be the sequel trilogy" thing has never quite sat right with me. I think they present a very different vision of Star Wars than the movies, less of the operatics and mysticism and capital-D Destiny stuff and more of a nuts and bolts mil sci-fi focus. You can definitely see the RPG roots of it, and in particular, the way that Zahn handles the Force feels very much like something built around game mechanics, with very clearly defined limitations and counters to Force usage. And like to be clear, I'm not saying that's a bad thing, and I very much enjoy that you have all these different takes on Star Wars, just that Zahn's stuff (and Stackpole and Allston as well, to an extent) always felt to me like their own direction on SW than a direct extension of the movies. As opposed to say, something like Dark Empire that feels like it's using a lot of the same themes and tone as the original trilogy.

I can kinda see how that might have been the default Star Wars Nerd take for a long time since there was no prequel trilogy to pull from when these books first came out, and even afterwards there was a very vocal part of the fanbase that hated those movies for a long time. Thus defaulting to Blue Villain Man Good, even if the way these books are written don't quite "feel" like Star Wars in the traditional sense.

Knowing how the actual Sequel Trilogy shook out though, i think it best Thrawn was left alone for as long as he was. I don't know how badly they might have messed it up with him in Rebels as i never did get into that show when it was premiering.

The Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jun 22, 2021

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

The Shame Boy posted:

I can kinda see how that might have been the default Star Wars Nerd take for a long time since there was no prequel trilogy to pull from when these books first came out, and even afterwards there was a very vocal part of the fanbase that hated those movies for a long time. Thus defaulting to Blue Villain Man Good, even if the way these books are written don't quite "feel" like Star Wars in the traditional sense.

Knowing how the actual Sequel Trilogy shook out though, i think it best Thrawn was left alone for as long as he was. I don't know how badly they might have messed it up with him in Rebels as i never did get into that show when it was premiering.

He was handled quite well in Rebels. So much so that, if he shows up in live action in the Ahsoka show (which seems like a strong possibility), I'm hoping they get the voice actor from Rebels to play him.

Then again, I am clearly biased.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

His appearances were ok. Rukh wasn’t handled well.

I’m kind of curious to see if Thrawn’s appearance in Galaxy of Fear is better than Rebels.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Casimir Radon posted:

His appearances were ok. Rukh wasn’t handled well.

I’m kind of curious to see if Thrawn’s appearance in Galaxy of Fear is better than Rebels.

I agree Rukh wasn't handled well.

The only thing that made Thrawn a bit different was that he seemed a bit more aggressive and straight up evil than he did in the original books. Made sense for the type of show Rebels was, and the role Thrawn played on it, and it wasn't bad. Just a little different from the Legends trilogy.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Still a shame that Mads already played Galen in Rogue One because he'd be perfect for live action thrawn. Lars has the voice but he's basically typecast as old professor guy in live action stuff.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Lord Hydronium posted:

This is pretty much my thoughts exactly, especially with Zahn/Stackpole/Allston feeling more like 80s military-SF than proper Star Wars.

Back in the 90s/early 00s I used to be a big "Thrawn Trilogy is the Sequel Trilogy" guy and really didn't like Dark Empire, but in the years after the prequels ended my views have kind of flipped. To be clear I don't dislike the Thrawn Trilogy but I've cooled on it somewhat, and I also think Zahn has gone way passed his prime and pretty much everything he's written in the past decade is wallowing in self-indulgence (I did really like Scoundrels though, but again, that was completely outside his norm).

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

the zahn/stackpole/allston universe would be great as a legends TV show. clearly brand it as a totally alternate universe and run with it

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The nadir of star wars military SF is the Black Fleet Crisis. It's not Republic Commando, that series is contentious but it has some interesting things going on in it about the morals of using clones as expendable grunts.

Black Fleet Crisis is three books about Starship specifications and a technological arms race that feels really out of place in Star Wars, which is a weird thing to write when big space battles are a core part of star wars films.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Scoundrels was pretty fun, but I vaguely remember feeling like a few too many characters showed up who we were supposed to know from previous things. Other than that, Zahn had one good new Thrawn book, and then went straight back to the super-special everyone knows how great he is snowflake character that irritated me the first time around.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Anyone ever read the first Star Wars spinoff novel Splinter of a Minds Eye? It starts with Luke really wanting to gently caress Leia and ends with him defeating Darth Vader. I think he falls into a pit or something.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Put me down for a Thrawn Trilogy redo in the new canon. I’d be interested to see Lucasfilm do a big multi year event with it. Use the Ahsoka, Rangers and Boba/Mando shows on the tv side tie ins, then have the OT crew in some new books, comics and cg movies to avoid the obvious issues. You could also get some OT crossover with Chewie or the droids appearing in the tv series. Could also theoretically have a young Ben appear in the shows.

I think an event like that would be a huge draw for the brand and could easily run several years. It could also serve to tie in to the ST (and help build up some good will to them? Cloning, the Skywalker saber, Luke’s feeling towards Ben, Snoke, etc..), and make the Thrawn trilogy connected in ways that it couldn’t do originally as the precursor to so much of the EU. Possibly do the Obi-Wan clone angle? Could probably skip Luuke…

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

thrawn527 posted:

I agree Rukh wasn't handled well.

The only thing that made Thrawn a bit different was that he seemed a bit more aggressive and straight up evil than he did in the original books. Made sense for the type of show Rebels was, and the role Thrawn played on it, and it wasn't bad. Just a little different from the Legends trilogy.
He flips out on another officer for being dismissive of Twi’Lek art, and slams him into a wall if I remember correctly. In Dark Force Rising Mara attempts to strangle him and doesn’t get a fraction of that reaction. His cameo in Soldier for the Empire has a couple of officers forget they left a comm channel open and they start talking smack about Thrawn and Jerec. Thrawn breaks in on the conversation to tell them that he doesn’t really care about their xenophobic chauvinism, that is unless it begins to interfere with their work, with a hint of menace. That would have been a better way to handle that scenario.

Rebels’ writing was quite the downgrade from TCW. You didn’t get dumb filler droid episodes or anything, but the highs were just never as good. I think the best episode was the one where Kallus gets stranded on a moon with Zeb and they have to work together to survive. Kallus sees how Zeb’s crew is happy to get him back, and then nobody back in the Empire gives a poo poo that he’s alive.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Slavin's racism was affecting his work in that scene though.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Thrawn was basically done as well as you could expect from a show like Rebels, but given how The Mandalorian keeps threatening to bring him back, I'd really prefer they take the character in a different direction. Rebels and the Zahn books already have plenty of cool, analytic Thrawn, what if he comes back from years stuck in the vortex of hyperspace a little loopy? Still insightful, but more wild-eyed and spiritual.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Rochallor posted:

Thrawn was basically done as well as you could expect from a show like Rebels, but given how The Mandalorian keeps threatening to bring him back, I'd really prefer they take the character in a different direction. Rebels and the Zahn books already have plenty of cool, analytic Thrawn, what if he comes back from years stuck in the vortex of hyperspace a little loopy? Still insightful, but more wild-eyed and spiritual.

They've referenced him literally once, right?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

It’s just the one reference now. But it’s probably going to get more in the next few projects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Casimir Radon posted:

It’s just the one reference now. But it’s probably going to get more in the next few projects.

Sure, I was asking about the quote, "The Mandalorian keeps threatening to bring him back". It has definitely done that once.