Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

GoutPatrol posted:

For others, they're taking it to the extreme of "criminals are outbreeding us which leads to more crime."

So, the plot to Idiocracy but with crime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Megillah Gorilla posted:

So, the plot to Idiocracy but with crime.

Speaking of things that didn’t age well, Idiocracy’s conceit is pretty awful!

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

mind the walrus posted:

I'm suddenly reminded of Stephen King 50s/80s bullies and how they're always pulling literal switchblades and seriously physically harming the kids, and that would explain a lot-- Boomers only recognizing bullying as hardcore physical abuse is very on-brand for them.

this is also a good point. particularly movies i would see in the 80s, the bullies wouldn't just perform wedgies or whatever, but do outright psycho poo poo. i think cracked did a video about it a long time ago.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

thetoughestbean posted:

It doesn't count if it was also awful at the time.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Plethora posted:

I remember a boomer teacher of mine saying, "That's God's way of weeding out the weak ones."

I mean, what the gently caress was the line for them?

I got mad and threw a pencil at my teacher for saying something close to this. For how much the culture shifted in through 90's it was still hard because often times the teachers were bullies themselves.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
i got into a shouting match with the history/ philosophy teacher in HS when he said "they should use a helicopter and shoot the looters" after Katrina

I just ended up walking out after he said he'd fail me hahaa jokes on you bitch i dropped out the day after gently caress you and gently caress that racist rear end school

Ohio sucks sometimes

E: that day wasn't even a lesson it was just the gently caress watching foxnews on the school CRT tv that hung over his desk hurling thinly veiled racist comments and saying "it's a hurricane its not that bad these happen all the time"

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Missed a good chance to demonstrate the utilitarian argument for giving him a swirly (maximizes happiness)

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

verbal enema posted:

Ohio sucks sometimes

Ohio sucks all the time.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

thetoughestbean posted:

If you cut out the parts at the start and the end which explicitly lay out the pro-eugenic ideals of the makers of the film, it's not that bad.

It's just that, why would you ever do something to make people who like eugenics look good?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

thetoughestbean posted:

Seemed like a documentary to me tbh

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Toshimo posted:

Ohio sucks all the time.

drat its true

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

like many movies at the time, idiocracy has a lot of areas where it hasn't aged well, but i still have a soft spot for it

almost all the lines from the narrator were great

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Megillah Gorilla posted:

If you cut out the parts at the start and the end which explicitly lay out the pro-eugenic ideals of the makers of the film, it's not that bad.

It's just that, why would you ever do something to make people who like eugenics look good?

The worst part is if you cut out those parts, it's still a cohesive movie with a mission statement and a reason why the world came out like this. It's just that rather than becoming pro-eugenics, it becomes anti-capitalist. The montage over the time skip instead blames a corporate race to the bottom, saying that since it became more profitable to focus on short-term profits and more frivolous scientific advancements, everything went on a downturn. Because... well, why develop something that improves nutrition when you can make more money inventing new flavors of energy drink?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
True, a movie where the message is "capitalism is bad" is vastly superior to one where the message is "poor people are inherently inferior and stupid and will drag the noble white race humanity into decline".

Mr Interweb posted:

almost all the lines from the narrator were great

You mean, the pro-eugenics lines?

Megillah Gorilla has a new favorite as of 10:48 on Jun 22, 2021

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Toshimo posted:

Ohio sucks all the time.

Can confirm this to be true. I used to dream about getting out of this state, but it's never gonna happen and I'm just going to die here.

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

I'm from Michigan and we don't even really want Toledo anymore, but Ohio should still have to give it back out of principle.

Ohio sucks.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Len posted:

Can confirm this to be true. I used to dream about getting out of this state, but it's never gonna happen and I'm just going to die here.

Become a hobo and jump on a freight train. You might get to see such exotic far off lands as Dubuque, Bloomington, and Peoria.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

verbal enema posted:

E: that day wasn't even a lesson it was just the gently caress watching foxnews on the school CRT tv that hung over his desk hurling thinly veiled racist comments and saying "it's a hurricane its not that bad these happen all the time"

Ohio, notable for its firsthand experience with hurricanes.

(I grew up there too and I had some similarly awful teachers, though thankfully they were mostly the exception.)

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

FreudianSlippers posted:

Become a hobo and jump on a freight train. You might get to see such exotic far off lands as Dubuque, Bloomington, and Peoria.

Bloomington is actually kind of nice, although it's no Ann Arbor.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

https://twitter.com/AlanRMacLeod/status/1406996177661345793

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

drat, I think we all just got Bingo on our "Wow, that aged poorly" cards

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

They went out of business about a year and a half later, so tbh I'm not sure this was working for them even at the time.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

the_steve posted:

drat, I think we all just got Bingo on our "Wow, that aged poorly" cards

No blatant homophobia tho

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

bunnyofdoom posted:

No blatant homophobia tho
Yeah the sexism is also lacking (at least on the front page) to score a perfect Bingo.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

It's aged quite poorly, but that's not the worst term for special education students that was in common use at that time. Thinking about it for a second, I can think of two worse terms that were used a lot then.

My mother taught special ed in the 1970s. It was still a novel concept in many areas.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

RC and Moon Pie posted:

It's aged quite poorly, but that's not the worst term for special education students that was in common use at that time. Thinking about it for a second, I can think of two worse terms that were used a lot then.

My mother taught special ed in the 1970s. It was still a novel concept in many areas.

How did homeschooling work out for you?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

RC and Moon Pie posted:

so you work from home op

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Life Goes On aired in 1989 and was the first time a Downs character was shown on TV as a relatable human being.

Pretty sure the term "developmentally retarded" was a medical term well into the 80s and used informally well into the 90s and 00s. The modern term is "development delay" and from a quick check, DSM-IV-TR (2000) was where development disorders and autism were basically completely rewritten in response to the previous decade of research and understanding so I doubt the language had changed much until that point.

It's actually weird to hear the derogatory words used for disabled people from back then, it sounds almost unbelievable now, like some fictional enemy from a 1960s Fantastic Four comic.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

pentyne posted:

Life Goes On aired in 1989 and was the first time a Downs character was shown on TV as a relatable human being.

Pretty sure the term "developmentally retarded" was a medical term well into the 80s and used informally well into the 90s and 00s. The modern term is "development delay" and from a quick check, DSM-IV-TR (2000) was where development disorders and autism were basically completely rewritten in response to the previous decade of research and understanding so I doubt the language had changed much until that point.

It's actually weird to hear the derogatory words used for disabled people from back then, it sounds almost unbelievable now, like some fictional enemy from a 1960s Fantastic Four comic.

As an rear end in a top hat in middle school, I went along with a other rear end in a top hat who decided that "corky" was a good term

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

pentyne posted:

Am I misremembering or did they have the Beatles song "obladi, life goes on" as the theme music?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Mescal posted:

Am I misremembering or did they have the Beatles song "obladi, life goes on" as the theme music?

Some cover version evidently

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKHFUjNw70A

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I can't remember who it is, but some comedian had a riff about the word "retarded" being a fairly nice and charitable word to refer to developmentally delayed people, and of course, kids had to go and ruin it.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

RC and Moon Pie posted:

I had a psychology textbook in high school (late 70s) that actually came from the late 60s (stupid, cheap rear end public school system!) that had the words idiot, moron, and imbecile as acceptable terms for people based on their IQ.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

pentyne posted:

Pretty sure the term "developmentally retarded" was a medical term well into the 80s and used informally well into the 90s and 00s.

Rochallor posted:

I can't remember who it is, but some comedian had a riff about the word "retarded" being a fairly nice and charitable word to refer to developmentally delayed people, and of course, kids had to go and ruin it.

i imagine there's a lot of regional variation here despite the fact that, when used as a strict medical term, the word retarded (or its equivalents) have a formalized meaning, the issue being that the public will take a medical term, run with it, and drift its meaning in the process

the preferred public term in my area by the late 90s/early 00s was mentally handicapped since the term retarded had already well-fallen off the euphemism treadmill by then and was a pure insult... one of the challenges of professionals who deal with these issues being that they must stay ahead of terms with a derogatory connotation in order to continue dealing respectfully with patients and their families, and i imagine that sort of reactionary stance creates a lot of localization to cope with schoolyard teasing in their immediate area; back about 5 years ago when the forums first started to come down on r-bombs i thought it was ridiculous til i realized we're all a weird mosaic of regional slang, common usage prevails and, really, what we'd all like is for that euphemism treadmill to turn off one day instead of perpetually churning out new insults

while doctors can use whatever terms they like in their own professional settings, right now the preferred term for public use around here is simply disability or handicap and later clarifying the details, the argument being that the spectrum of developmental disorders & delays runs pretty wide, one term can't communicate enough, and using a generic word might insulate it from meaning drift

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

A co-worker of mine used the term, when it had to be mentioned, that so-and-so person was "a little different." I kind of liked that. Nicer than saying "I think there's something wrong with them."

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Ouch. Surely somebody had a bass guitar they could have borrowed.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Rochallor posted:

Doug Stanhope has a bit about how moron, idiot and imbecile were terms for specific degrees of developmental delay a hundred years ago, and were happily co-opted as insults until the advent of retarded as a new term, swiftly appropriated etc. ad infinitium

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Torquemada posted:

Doug Stanhope has a bit about how moron, idiot and imbecile were terms for specific degrees of developmental delay a hundred years ago, and were happily co-opted as insults until the advent of retarded as a new term, swiftly appropriated etc. ad infinitium

I remember a similar passage from Flowers for Algernon, though it's been years and years since I've read it, to the effect that terms for the disabled fall out of clinical use as soon as the general public figures out what they mean and starts using them as insults.

Fake Edit: Found the actual quote:

quote:

“I’m “exceptional”- a democratic term used to avoid the damning labels of “gifted” and “deprived” (which used to mean “bright” and “retarded”) and as soon as “exceptional” begins to mean anything to anyone they’ll change it. The idea seems to be: use an expression as long as it doesn’t mean anything to anybody. “Exceptional” refers to both ends of the spectrum, so all my life I’ve been exceptional.”

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

pentyne posted:

It's actually kind of funny in a sad way, as 'development delay' literally is the same thing as 'developmentally retarded'. 'Retard', by actual definition, means 'delay', and you still hear it used that way in certain places. Like when dealing with older cars, the phrase 'advance or retard the ignition' frequently comes up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
In general, the theme is that while medical science has made a lot of effort to help people with mental disabilities, there's been extremely little social development to keep up with that. Discrimination against the disabled is still mainstream, universal, and has very little effective counters.