Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I've only ever had the cheap blu ray of The Thing from before Shout got the rights to it, and I think I paid like $12 for it about ten years ago so upgrading to UHD is a no brainer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
For anyone eyeing it, just a heads up, I ordered the Twin Peaks Television Collection from Amazon a while ago when it went on sale.

It did not look like this:

It looks like this:

Which is fine, but just so you know, it's a misleading picture. (Mine did not come with a slipcase, which is what the picture shows.)

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
The set definitely looked like that at one point when I saw it on a store shelf, but I guess after the first run they ditched the fancy packaging.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

You dudes should spend the extra $10.99 for a copy of The Last Dragon while you're at it.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

caligulamprey posted:

You dudes should spend the extra $10.99 for a copy of The Last Dragon while you're at it.

SHO NUFF

It's normally $12, so this isn't the best deal, but it's absolutely worth owning.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Barnes and Noble is doing their own sad little Prime Day counter sale, and I got the Spirited Away blu ray steelbook because it was 14 dollars. I already had a few but I think this is the tipping point into me half heartedly trying to get all the Ghibli steelbooks.

I think I might be basic

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
I bought tenet.

other avatar thing to talk about is that Disney owns it now. gonna be huge

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Gripweed posted:

Barnes and Noble is doing their own sad little Prime Day counter sale, and I got the Spirited Away blu ray steelbook because it was 14 dollars. I already had a few but I think this is the tipping point into me half heartedly trying to get all the Ghibli steelbooks.

I think I might be basic

Don't they have the Criterion sale in July?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Welp looks like my copy of Akira doesn't have HDR. :negative:

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Franchescanado posted:

Goonies 4k UHD is $13 right now. I'm not a huge fan, but I grabbed it cuz I'm a sucker for 80's fun.

The UHD of Goonies honestly made me appreciate a lot of the lighting in that movie more than I ever imagined I would. Once they get in the cave the movie looks really gorgeous and I never thought I’d be admiring them handing kids some lanterns and basically having them do a chunk of the lighting work, but it works out well in a way that doesn’t come across in SDR. Really helps make it feel like it’s a cheap-print paperback kid’s adventure novel.

Also some of that matte, set, and prop work, especially on the pirate ship :wotwot:

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
I saw “Terms of Endearment” on Sunday w my mom. Part of a Polly Platt series, she did production design on this film. It’s not remarkable cinematography or anything, but I was struck by the relative uniqueness of the lighting and film. Kinda soft. Very 80s but not… explicitly so, if that makes sense?

But I contrast that in my head with every movie looking the same now, aside from some kind of digital coloring filter.

As silly at is sounds, but as others have echoed, I really appreciate what UHD brings to the plate. I think it takes those older films to a truly cinematic home experience.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
It feels like over the last 15 years lighting has become a lost art, because they can just tint it in post.

It's not like there's anything wrong with it per se, but it feels like it's caused lighting to become lazy. There's definitely a much different feel to have something actually lit with a green light, instead of having a green filter digitally added later.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Iron Crowned posted:

It feels like over the last 15 years lighting has become a lost art, because they can just tint it in post.

It's not like there's anything wrong with it per se, but it feels like it's caused lighting to become lazy. There's definitely a much different feel to have something actually lit with a green light, instead of having a green filter digitally added later.

Yeah, you can feel this start to die in the early 00's.

Lighting, costuming and set design have all become way more prominent in my appreciation of film thanks to the UHD format. The textures, colors and craftsmanship pop so much.

There's still modern movies that are doing it well, and really care about the lighting. Harmony Korine, Robert Eggers, Celine Sciamma, Yorgos Lanthimos all come to mind about people who really care about lighting, whether it's natural or not. But it's still not like the gel lights in an 80's or 90's movie.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
Colored lighting has been making a huge comeback the past couple of years due to RGB LED light fixtures like the Arri Skypanel, Quasar Science Rainbows, and Astera Titans.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I'm kinda floored by how much I enjoyed Crystal Skull, and how fantastic it looked with the 4k release.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

About to post blasphemy in the physical thread but Heat 4K digital is $5 on Vudu and Amazon today. No Atmos on it but worth until they finally just announce a physical edition.

Tim Whatley fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jun 23, 2021

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

BURN THE HERETIC

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Iron Crowned posted:

I feel like now the current vogue is deliberately very shadowy, low-contrast, and not a lot of "artificial" fill lighting, which... look, I'm 40, my eyes are not great, let me see the people's faces please.

Like people talk about how it works on a good setup but I feel the "car stereo" test needs to apply for visual material as it does for audio (i.e., it should meet certain baselines even on the worst possible display.) gently caress I watched Solaris on VHS and it still looked good, you guys have no excuse.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Tim Whatley posted:

About to post blasphemy in the physical thread but Heat 4K digital is $5 on Vudu and Amazon today. No Atmos on it but worth until they finally just announce a physical edition.

At risk of giving the most obvious response, I'll say $5 is way too much for the ability to watch a compressed file stored on someone else's computer.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Maxwell Lord posted:

I feel like now the current vogue is deliberately very shadowy, low-contrast, and not a lot of "artificial" fill lighting, which... look, I'm 40, my eyes are not great, let me see the people's faces please.

Like people talk about how it works on a good setup but I feel the "car stereo" test needs to apply for visual material as it does for audio (i.e., it should meet certain baselines even on the worst possible display.) gently caress I watched Solaris on VHS and it still looked good, you guys have no excuse.

Content designed for streaming services needs to be made while thinking about how certain compositions look dreadful when streamed.

Remember the Game of Thrones battle that was all blacks and was impossible to see? I had the same issue with the second episode of Loki.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Cloks posted:

Content designed for streaming services needs to be made while thinking about how certain compositions look dreadful when streamed.

Remember the Game of Thrones battle that was all blacks and was impossible to see? I had the same issue with the second episode of Loki.

Thing is I saw that GOT episode "live" (i.e. on cable) so it wasn't even a streaming problem.

I had that problem with the one episode of the Mandalorian that was riffing on Seven Samurai, with them defending the town. A lot of the night scenes were a little murky.

Like guys I don't care if it's unrealistic, just put in another light! Like, most movies made before television was a thing still read fine on the small screen because while they weren't thinking about lower resolutions, they were still following basic rules of composition and lighting.

I feel a related issue is sometimes they're going "Well, you should be disoriented and confused because we want to capture that feel and make it more tense", but honestly if I can't tell what's going on for a prolonged section of time, I'm more likely just to disengage.

Maxwell Lord fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jun 23, 2021

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Cloks posted:

That GoT scene(calling it a scene really isn't right because it was like half of an entire episode) was really egregious, it has to be by far the worst I've seen. I don't think Loki was nearly as bad.

Part of the issue with GoT was that I was watching it at the same time as everyone else and so I wasn't getting it consistently at 1080p but that's sort of the point. The show should be at least watchable no matter what, it shouldn't be a completely soupy mess at 720p.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Digital filmmaking ruined lighting. Once they figured out you didn't have to light so much, they just decided natural lighting would be good enough and now everything looks like flat underlit dogshit. This is my Old Man Yells at Cloud thing and I will die on this hill.

EDIT: Deakins gets a forever pass. Dude knows what he's doin'.

caligulamprey fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jun 23, 2021

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Who Framed Roger Rabbit is getting a 4k UHD release in October.

October's gonna be a crazy month for 4k.

edit: StudioC anal is releasing a 4k UHD of Dante's The Howling on September 22nd.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jun 23, 2021

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

caligulamprey posted:

Digital filmmaking ruined lighting. Once they figured out you didn't have to light so much, they just decided natural lighting would be good enough and now everything looks like flat underlit dogshit. This is my Old Man Yells at Cloud thing and I will die on this hill.

EDIT: Deakins gets a forever pass. Dude knows what he's doin'.

Even then I think Deakins peaked eleven years ago with True Grit, which is just one of the most unbelievably beautifully photographed movies I’ve ever seen. Not that he isn’t still ahead of most cinematographers with what he does now, but nothing he’s done since has knocked me on my rear end the way that movie did. Maybe the chase with the burning mansion in the background in Skyfall.

But yeah, it feels like most productions don’t put even the amount of effort, say, Soderbergh does with natural lighting on digital formats, and it’s arguable even he has fallen off a bit from those early days where he was really excited with this new and different format. And nobody tried following Michael Mann or David Lynch into “let’s really define digitally shot stuff as it’s own aesthetic and not chase a filmic look”. So now you just get a sense of blister-pack cinema, I guess is maybe the way to describe it.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Blade Runner 2049 is one of the most beautiful movies of all time imo. So if that's a step down from a career high, it's a hell of a small step.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

The Cameo posted:

“let’s really define digitally shot stuff as it’s own aesthetic and not chase a filmic look”
The world needs another Neveldine/Taylor movie.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

feedmyleg posted:

Blade Runner 2049 is one of the most beautiful movies of all time imo. So if that's a step down from a career high, it's a hell of a small step.

It doesn’t even hit the top ten of his work (Grit, Ford, Fink, and then in no particular order Shawshank, O Brother, Fargo, Jarhead, Kundun, No Country, The Village, Secret Garden, Man Who Wasn’t There, Lebowski) to me, and I prefer the original photographically to it, so tomato toematoe, I guess v:shobon:v

I do think it looks a lot better than Skyfall, which I think dips way too far out of the grit of the Craig Bonds and just makes everything feel detached and cold

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
To each their own, but BR2049 feels like a modern day Night of the Hunter to me—all shadow and abstract shape. It might just be what I'm particularly attracted to visually, but I'd personally put it way over most of those others based on my preferences.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

I will say that BR2049 was definitely one of the better new releases I’ve seen in theaters in the last 5 years. Very epic feel to it, like 60s epic films, where there are huge set pieces and a real sense of scale. It seemed much larger yet claustrophobic, whereas the city in Thor: Ragnarok feels… empty despite all the stuff happening.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I defied Deakins wishes and went to see 2049 in our huge rear end IMAX and it was just stunning. Watching the UHD on my OLED just isn’t the same, I ruined any future viewing if the movie to be honest.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

The making of BR2049 art book is also a must own for any fan.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

That dumb-rear end Jeremy Renner vehicle "Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters" is getting a 4K but still no Godfather, no Aliens, no standalone Lawrence.

what are theses choices. who is like "oh we need to reissue this in UHD"

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Boywhiz88 posted:

That dumb-rear end Jeremy Renner vehicle "Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters" is getting a 4K but still no Godfather, no Aliens, no standalone Lawrence.

what are theses choices. who is like "oh we need to reissue this in UHD"

It's just Renner. They're still using the same strategy they always did from when people actually used to casually browse shelves of blu rays and grab stuff because it had a famous face on it. I don't think people really shop for physical media that way anymore but being able to slap Jeremy Renner's face on the cover is still probably considered a bigger selling point that anything a film from the 60's or 70's has going for it, even The Godfather.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Average movie buyer: “oh hey Jeremy Remner, I don’t think I’ve seen this one before but he’s using a crossbow maybe it’s like a Hawkeye origin story. Whoa it’s only like $20 for it in 4K!”

Average movie buyer encounters The Godfather 4K: “oh hey they Godfather in 4K. drat it’s $80… yea I don’t really want the third movie. This doesn’t seem entirely worth it maybe they’ll release them all individually so it’ll be cheaper”.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Is Renner even a big enough name? I mean he's in the MCU, but everyone hates Hawkeye, and outside of that he's just been "meh" at best.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Iron Crowned posted:

Is Renner even a big enough name? I mean he's in the MCU, but everyone hates Hawkeye, and outside of that he's just been "meh" at best.

The man has his own app!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Iron Crowned posted:

He had a run there where he was definitely considered a leading man, he got the lead in a Bourne sequel, the Hansel & Gretel movie, Wind River, etc. But yea that was like 8-10(Wind River was more recent) years ago now and I'm not sure he really still has the star power he did at that time.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Wind River was terrific, prob my favorite movie of 2017.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Basebf555 posted:

He had a run there where he was definitely considered a leading man, he got the lead in a Bourne sequel, the Hansel & Gretel movie, Wind River, etc. But yea that was like 8-10 years ago now and I'm not sure he really still has the star power he did at that time.

I remember, but I wasn't seeing those trailers and becoming excited that Jeremy Renner was the lead, the way I would have for Jason Statham at the time.

To me, he's always felt like a guy who's just there.